Photo

Why does the bridge lift?

70 replies to this topic
Xegethra
  • Xegethra

Trick

• Members

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Wednesday, Aug 14 2013, 12:04)
QUOTE (Xegethra @ Wednesday, Aug 14 2013, 14:25)
Yeah like I always noticed that the lights on the lift bridge don't flash when the lift goes up. So I figured that they weren't supposed to, yet after noticing them flash in the credits as the bridge was moving, I realised that they were for that and for some reason don't work in game. Unless their flash is so dim that I can't see it.

It's strange. They always flash for me when the lift goes up - both on PS2 and PC versions. Only so it is almost unnoticeable on the PC version, while it is much easier to notice on PS2.

Try to look more closely next time.

Hmm, maybe my game is too dark. I do put the brightness down a bit...but other lights look and function as they should and that still doesn't explain why they light up in the credits with the same lighting settings.

I dunno, maybe I'm just going blind or something.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

Grand Theft Auto III Chain Game Former Chief

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

Could be the matter with the point of view on the bridge differing between the credits and from where you were looking at them.

Xegethra
  • Xegethra

Trick

• Members

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

Possibly, I always look at them as I drive past, maybe one day.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (Vic 2.0 @ Wednesday, Aug 14 2013, 03:52)
QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Tuesday, Aug 13 2013, 12:42)
It seems that all GTA games are full of loopholes that will keep us guessing. The only way to enjoy oneself is to not pay any particular attention to them and keep playing. Then it will all seem sort of natural and you won't even wonder.

Actually, I think it's playing the game(s) repeatedly that has caused me to wonder more, lol. It's like watching a movie for the tenth time. You start to watch the characters that are in the background just to make sure they are in fact doing nothing interesting. And every now and then you find something you missed the other nine times! wink.gif

Yes, you are right. But this is just the moment when you have to understand that if you busy yourself with all those seemingly unnecessary details, you will eventually not be able to get the pleasure from that game of movie. That is why you have to take it all, or at least, most of it, for granted, and enjoy the movie/game itself.

That's just how I do it.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Saturday, Aug 17 2013, 23:17)
QUOTE (Vic 2.0 @ Wednesday, Aug 14 2013, 03:52)
QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Tuesday, Aug 13 2013, 12:42)
It seems that all GTA games are full of loopholes that will keep us guessing. The only way to enjoy oneself is to not pay any particular attention to them and keep playing. Then it will all seem sort of natural and you won't even wonder.

Actually, I think it's playing the game(s) repeatedly that has caused me to wonder more, lol. It's like watching a movie for the tenth time. You start to watch the characters that are in the background just to make sure they are in fact doing nothing interesting. And every now and then you find something you missed the other nine times! wink.gif

Yes, you are right. But this is just the moment when you have to understand that if you busy yourself with all those seemingly unnecessary details, you will eventually not be able to get the pleasure from that game of movie. That is why you have to take it all, or at least, most of it, for granted, and enjoy the movie/game itself.

That's just how I do it.

True words. Kinda like watching "The Fast and Furious." So many cheesy lines, full of plot holes and cheesy characters and cliches. But if you ignore that, it's a fun film.

Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:39 AM

QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Saturday, Aug 17 2013, 12:17)

That's just how I do it.

There must be something more, to explain our differences on this. Taking note of all the insignificant details in this game has been my motivation to keep coming back for more! I think I enjoy GTA3 more than the others at times specifically because there are more glitches and quirks in the whole of it than other GTA games.

I have every bit as much fun with the game now as I ever did before. Maybe even more, because with my tendency to obsess it feels like the game never gets old, lol.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (Vic 2.0 @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 03:39)
QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Saturday, Aug 17 2013, 12:17)

That's just how I do it.

There must be something more, to explain our differences on this. Taking note of all the insignificant details in this game has been my motivation to keep coming back for more! I think I enjoy GTA3 more than the others at times specifically because there are more glitches and quirks in the whole of it than other GTA games.

I have every bit as much fun with the game now as I ever did before. Maybe even more, because with my tendency to obsess it feels like the game never gets old, lol.

That is where we differ. I don't need such a drive to keep me coming back to the game. It's the game's atmosphere, the feel and the vibe that makes me want to come back for more. I do not need to explore more and obsess myself with seemingly insignificant details to keep myself pinned down in the game that I liked only too much from the first very moments I played it.

Because it just works this way: every little detail itself has no meaning at all. Put them all together, and you'll get a one monolith picture, where all those elements work in a way they would never work themselves. Everything tends to blend in each other, and at the same time, every detail (or at least, almost every) is strictly evident. If there is some loophole like the one originally discussed, then it is pretty much covered up by the drapery made up from all those little details that make feel the game so much alive that you do not care about any insignificant loophole, and instead, you try to immerse yourself in this agglomeration of tiny little fragments, interconnected, blended together in a system that makes you feel a part of it as well.

To immerse myself in the game, to let myself become a part of it - this is what makes me want to come back to playing it as if I would come back home - that is my drive to play this awesome game even more. I do not need inspect any tiny little details to stick to the game. It's the feel and the vibe that keep me glued to the screen and the joypad.

P.S. I hope I didn't get all too romantic.

Xegethra
  • Xegethra

Trick

• Members

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

I love the tiny details, whether they are broken or not. There is always something I don't like about any game, no game is perfect.

The little details, build up the world you play in, and for some, to understand the bigger picture...they immerse themselves in these little details. Like the real world, people look at the little things...the tiny life forms, the structure of things and they do it to understand things more. People look at the little details in a game to understand it more. Be it to understand story, the map or just how the game is made. If people didn't look at the many little things, facts about the game may have been wrong until looked at more closely.

I'm not saying it's a big revelation about the lift bridge, but some people are just curious as to how and why the game works as it does. This doesn't ruin it for me at all, most of the time it's easy for people to fill in the gaps with their own conclusions if no official one exists. It helps to identify with the game better if you can make up a bit of plot where in the game it is a gap. When the why and the who, what, where and whens are a bit cloudy, people can make stuff up or link stuff that makes sense to them and that helps them fit with the game better.

The lift bridge is one of those things I think, rather than accepting "It is the way it is just cus it is" some might like to come up with a reason for it having no ships, maybe like pretending they pass by when they aren't looking..but the bridge will still lift when none are passong because the faults aren't all ironed out.

If people can make sense of something that is broken, or out of place, then they will and that just helps fill in the world as opposed to having a random thing that doesn't make any sense. It shows initiative, thinking and a creative mind, even if it is a simple idea.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:11 AM Edited by Arsen Vitiuk, 20 August 2013 - 08:14 AM.

I agree that it is these tiny details that make the game great. But again, they only mean something if they are blended into the whole picture.

Maybe I expressed myself wrong, but I tend to try and understand the system in the whole, rather than a single element. If you just look at these connections, how different, seemingly unrelated, elements build up into something that is more than just a game, then you understand that everything in itself doesn't mean a thing - being part of the whole is what matters.

And while mysteries should be solved and answers should be sought, let me ask you a question: is trying to find the answers always the best way? Finding an answer to a question brings up another questions, you find answers to those and you have even more left to answer. The more you know, the less you know. In the end, you can get so much worked up about finding the answers to these little mysteries, that you will stop getting pleasure from the game that was intended for that purpose. And what is the point in playing it then, if you can derive no pleasure from it?

And believe me, you will get to busy sorting these 'little mysteries' out to get any pleasure from the game. Only the pleasure from finding the answers to your questions, which, believe me, is not as much.

Oh, and why incorporate definitely false theories to explain something that doesn't possibly even need an explanation?

Xegethra
  • Xegethra

Trick

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

If it's a false theory why it would it matter? If Rockstar couldn't put the extra bit of plot in the gaps why not let someone make their own mind up on it? It doesn't hurt anybody, and it helps the world feel like this "Whole Picture" in which you describe. It seems Rockstar love letting the fans come up with their own ideas for things. If something doesn't make sense to someone, then that can turn them off from a game....if a game has too many of these plot holes, weird things in a map and non nonsensical things cluttering it up then I just can't enjoy it as it doesn't feel like a working world. But with GTA 3, while it has a few, I can tolerate them and they are easily explained away which helps it become like that very working world it was meant to be.

There is nothing more deterring to a game world, than a major gap in the system that can't be filled.

If you don't take into account all the little things that make up the bigger world, then you aren't appreciating the mechanics and the building blocks to the full. You're just looking at a picture and going oooh ahhh without really knowing anything about it beyond that it looks pretty. Ignorance is not always bliss. Sometimes yes, finding an answer can gain more questions, but this isn't always true....if you get into the mind set that it is...you end up knowing nothing about anything and you don't pursue any answers at all. This applies to both games and the real world...by nature, people are inquisitive. It's not been that often that I have found an answer to a question, and it spawned more...if it did then they are just as easily answered and then it's end of the trail..this game isn't that complex to find answers or fill in any gaps Rockstar left blank for us. A few little niggles yeah, but they can be dealt with and the world is whole again.

Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

I just want to say, one last time, that I think different people enjoy approaching this game (or games in general) different ways, and that's OK. There's no right or wrong. And no advice can be given beyond "Do whatever makes it more fun and interesting for you." Even if someone buys GTA 3 purely for the taxi missions and never does a single other thing with their game, who are we to say they're not enjoying it as well as they could/should?

Everyone's different. What saps the fun out of a game for me might make the game fun for you. And that's 100% fine, IMO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users