Why does the bridge lift?

70 replies to this topic
DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

Ugh, I had the worst luck with this bridge. I'd either drive off into the water of smack into the side that lifts up. Don't get me wrong; I like that it adds to the realism of the city, but the bridge didn't like me.

Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:56 AM

QUOTE (DarrinPA @ Sunday, Aug 4 2013, 19:50)
Ugh, I had the worst luck with this bridge. I'd either drive off into the water of smack into the side that lifts up. Don't get me wrong; I like that it adds to the realism of the city, but the bridge didn't like me.

Yeah, it's more of a nuisance for me too.

Two stories:

1. I don't even know how this is possible, so don't ask. But one time, while I wasn't even on a mission, a Columbian gang car hit me from behind while I was waiting for the bridge to come down and knocked me into the water.

2. One time, I accidentally rear-ended a Taxi and knocked him onto the bridge just as it was lifting. Then, I saw him fall off the other end! WTF? I love games with very little A.I. They're just more fun. I ended up recording that one wink.gif

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

Grand Theft Auto III Chain Game Former Chief

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

Let me ask an analogical question: why are there Taxis circling the streets when there are no fares? The olny fares are the re-sripted pedestrians in the specific mission that is activated exclusively by the player. Could have as well have some taxis in parking lots, and that would do it. But no, we have got loads of them everywhere.

The answer is, it adds to realism, even if it doesn't serve any purpose.

Another example: subway trains. Why are they needed? There are no passengers boarding them except for maybe the protagonist, and it is a very inconvenient means of transport, rendering it practically obsolete - as one can get 100% without using a train even a single time.

Xegethra
  • Xegethra

Trick

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

The funny thing is, these problems didn't exist in GTA 2, people used the taxi's, they got in and out of them. People used the trains, they got on and off them at the stations. They even used buses that would stop at the stops and people got on and off....even in a much more convincing fashion than they did in Vice City.

In GTA 1 they only did this with trains.

But still, never did get why they don't in this game. It only half adds to the effect they are trying to give.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (Xegethra @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 14:24)
But still, never did get why they don't in this game. It only half adds to the effect they are trying to give.

Maybe because they couldn't figure the codes back then. Maybe they lacked time. Maybe they didn't even think about it.

We cannot know for sure. And yes, all these features did have their use in GTA2. Something that is really missing in this particular game.

Xegethra
  • Xegethra

Trick

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

If they didn't know how to code that stuff so well then that's a valid point and a reason for it not to be in the game.

However I don't believe they didn't think of these things....if you look at any pre release article about the game, it's all going on about how the city will be vibrant with life and stuff always going on to simulate a day to day life in the city.

We all know that not much else happens on the streets except people walking around and Claude blowing stuff up with some minor gang fights and criminal activities like car jacking and muggings and some street fights.

I think these things could have passed through the minds of the developers....but like you suggest, it might be because of in experience with the engine for these things not too appear. It's a shame really, it would have been pretty cool to see.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

I too am most keen to believe that back then the developing team's wishes didn't match their possibilities and/or abilities.

And although I'm not the supporter of modding the games, I would surely want to see how would these things possibly work - that is, if somebody could release a mod for taxi passengers/train passengers/passing ships etc - all those nice tiny little features GTA2 possessed.

boygilroy
  • boygilroy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:25 PM

Same here. The mods often do cool things, but do them badly. Better to have R* do an update. Right now I'm interested in GTA V, but I'd be more excited by an expanded GTA III: same Claude, same Liberty City, but more of it.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (boygilroy @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 20:25)
I'd be more excited by an expanded GTA III: same Claude, same Liberty City, but more of it.

Well, I sincerely hope that Rockstar don't ruin the game by those 'updates' they have a bad habit of presenting a bad result of their good intentions.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 19:32)
QUOTE (boygilroy @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 20:25)
I'd be more excited by an expanded GTA III: same Claude, same Liberty City, but more of it.

Well, I sincerely hope that Rockstar don't ruin the game by those 'updates' they have a bad habit of presenting a bad result of their good intentions.

And I would agree with this statement.

I don't really mind modifications in themselves because they are fanmade and often have nice elements you can choose to add. However Rockstar doing an update is official, changing the game from what it was. The way I see it is that once a game gets released that is the way it should stay, no added features just the way that it was at the time of its release (and at the very most, bug fixes). I really love GTA III and so do many others, we all like it for what it is as of the 6th August 2013 at variational time zones (59 minutes past the hour), changing the game would effectively destroy why we like it, as in, it won't be the GTA III we all know and love.

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 13:48)
Maybe because they couldn't figure the codes back then.

That's definitely not a reason. Just think about it, they've coded physics, missions, audio, AI and they didn't know how to make a simple SCM script (LCS/VCS feature these as SCM scripts)? Makes no sense.

boygilroy
  • boygilroy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

No no, I mean more of the same! I just think R* has better resources for making a smooth addition to the original. There's a mod that lets you drive up a highway made of patched-up bridge sections, looks like crap, but opens up great new territory. I wouldn't even want R* to fix all the glitches--they're part of the game. But how about, after you find Catalina wasn't on that helicopter in The Encounter, the tunnels to upstate open and you find Tony Cipriani and Joey Leone had a war and one of them had to move up to Carcer City where Catalina's alive and plotting... No wait! See, Maria gets shot during the closing credits crawl, but she lived and boy is she pissed! You think Catalina's bad news... All I'm sayin': keep Liberty City just as it is, but add more.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (boygilroy @ Wednesday, Aug 7 2013, 02:09)
No no, I mean more of the same! I just think R* has better resources for making a smooth addition to the original. There's a mod that lets you drive up a highway made of patched-up bridge sections, looks like crap, but opens up great new territory. I wouldn't even want R* to fix all the glitches--they're part of the game. But how about, after you find Catalina wasn't on that helicopter in The Encounter, the tunnels to upstate open and you find Tony Cipriani and Joey Leone had a war and one of them had to move up to Carcer City where Catalina's alive and plotting... No wait! See, Maria gets shot during the closing credits crawl, but she lived and boy is she pissed! You think Catalina's bad news... All I'm sayin': keep Liberty City just as it is, but add more.

Bit that would make s new fame, nothing will be left of the original GTA III, just the setting. It will not be a GTA III anymore. Don't you think that this will definitely ruin the fame, let alone waste Rockstar's reputation as a decent game-producing company?

There will be more loss than gain on this particular situation, mind it. And I sincerely hope that those pop-heads at Rockstar's office don't lose their mind and try to come up with such stuff.

Amen to that.

Ambient_
  • Ambient_

Loving GTA:O

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

No no no, perhaps, and his is stretching it a bit, there was a ferry going underneath it, but due to limitations they held it back and kept it for LCS?
That seems plausible, no?

Nukey Shay
  • Nukey Shay

Trick

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

The ferry was originally planned to be between Portland and Staunton in GTAIII (before Callahan bridge was made instead). AFAIK, the lift bridge was always between Staunton and SSV. It lifts because that was (and still is) their way to keep the player out of SSV before the third act. End of story.

To some, two broken bridges seems a little redundant. But I have to admit, I prefer the bridge. I think they made the right choice.

Xegethra
  • Xegethra

Trick

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

Yeah, the ferry is just some boat on the other side of the city. But I think the whole map is a bit skewiff really. The industrial part of the city is Portland...so the left bridge should have been where Callahan bridge is...to let container ships go to and from that part of the city.

But still, shoreside, the supposed "suburban" area is still just another industrial site...so a lift bridge there does make sense sort of. but because no ships go through it, it has no reason to go up and down. The idea that it is broken and won't come back down works, as the lift is held up. But once fixed and brought back down to let the player pass...it has no reason to go back up again.

It's a good idea for blocking an area but with quite poor execution, the lift bridge is a fun idea but with no ship it always felt a little empty to me.

It's an odd place for a lift bridge anyway because should there be a ship to pass through it wouldn't really go anywhere....no harbour for it to dock at, just some hills of the mainland then the back bit of Staunton. For a cruise ship though, a big cruise liner...then it kinda makes sense as a tour route...but not much.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE (SilentPL @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 22:00)
QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 13:48)
Maybe because they couldn't figure the codes back then.

That's definitely not a reason. Just think about it, they've coded physics, missions, audio, AI and they didn't know how to make a simple SCM script (LCS/VCS feature these as SCM scripts)? Makes no sense.

Let us not forget that GTA III used a different engine. So maybe there were some limitations dictated by the engine itself. It can be the issue.

But we will never know for sure until we get an answer from a Rockstar representative. And that seems highly unlikely. Even if we get an explanation, I can bet it will be as cryptic as hell.

Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

Perhaps some comical explanation would suffice (given at least once somewhere, anywhere, in the game) like "The lift mechanism has been repaired so the bridge can move again. However, workers are now baffled as they cannot figure out how to make it stop!"

Nukey Shay
  • Nukey Shay

Trick

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:58 AM

A bigger question that defies logic is how major damage to Callahan Bridge is repaired although you never *ever* see a work crew there.

Xegethra
  • Xegethra

Trick

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

It does create an odd scene, as it also happens instantaneously. In one moment it is destroyed...the next (After the mission of course) it is fixed and people driving on it with no repair progress in between.

Video game worlds are a bit weird like that, sometimes it's not that bad, sometimes it can be explained away, other times it makes no sense what so ever and I can't help but think that something could have been done a tad differently.

Surreal is all it is.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

5KΣΓ

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

Why were the tunnels closed? That seemed weirder to me (of course, from a gameplay point of view it makes sense, but I mean the story reason).

Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (Nukey Shay @ Sunday, Aug 11 2013, 04:58)
A bigger question that defies logic is how major damage to Callahan Bridge is repaired although you never *ever* see a work crew there.

True. Perhaps they could've done that and then thrown in instructions for you to go get some "sleep" at your safehouse after 'A Drop in the Ocean'. Wouldn't have been too hard. Still, I can see why they wanted to get this gem of a game out ASAP. I think we all agree this is at least part of the reason for some of the oddities and glitches in the game.

Dingleman
  • Dingleman

SA:LC Mod Leader

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (_____ @ Sunday, Aug 11 2013, 19:44)
Why were the tunnels closed? That seemed weirder to me (of course, from a gameplay point of view it makes sense, but I mean the story reason).

http://www.rockstarg...001/story3.html

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

5KΣΓ

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

It's quite ridiculous that they blocked all access to other cities. That would never happen in real life unless the circumstances were really extreme. The only reason that made sense was the one in San Andreas. You weren't allowed to leave the city because the police didn't let you (even though they were just messing with Carl). They shouldn't have added the roadblocks though. It didn't make sense to block access for the other people unless I'm missing something here (I probably am).

Xegethra
  • Xegethra

Trick

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

They only did it so there is something to unlock....I guess they do it stop people exploring the map all at once and getting bored of it all before the game is over. And they always put some flimsy story reason for it to be blocked so there is always an in game reason.

It's also a way to mark progression....some games leave you clueless as to how far you are.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

A little off-topic, the one reason that made the most sense was in VC and VCS - if only they could alter the weather the appropriate way...

It seems that all GTA games are full of loopholes that will keep us guessing. The only way to enjoy oneself is to not pay any particular attention to them and keep playing. Then it will all seem sort of natural and you won't even wonder.

Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Tuesday, Aug 13 2013, 12:42)
It seems that all GTA games are full of loopholes that will keep us guessing. The only way to enjoy oneself is to not pay any particular attention to them and keep playing. Then it will all seem sort of natural and you won't even wonder.

Actually, I think it's playing the game(s) repeatedly that has caused me to wonder more, lol. It's like watching a movie for the tenth time. You start to watch the characters that are in the background just to make sure they are in fact doing nothing interesting. And every now and then you find something you missed the other nine times! wink.gif

Xegethra
  • Xegethra

Trick

• Members

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

Yeah like I always noticed that the lights on the lift bridge don't flash when the lift goes up. So I figured that they weren't supposed to, yet after noticing them flash in the credits as the bridge was moving, I realised that they were for that and for some reason don't work in game. Unless their flash is so dim that I can't see it.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE (Xegethra @ Wednesday, Aug 14 2013, 14:25)
Yeah like I always noticed that the lights on the lift bridge don't flash when the lift goes up. So I figured that they weren't supposed to, yet after noticing them flash in the credits as the bridge was moving, I realised that they were for that and for some reason don't work in game. Unless their flash is so dim that I can't see it.

It's strange. They always flash for me when the lift goes up - both on PS2 and PC versions. Only so it is almost unnoticeable on the PC version, while it is much easier to notice on PS2.

Try to look more closely next time.

Nukey Shay
  • Nukey Shay

Trick

• Members

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

IIRC in San Andreas, a recent earthquake's aftershocks were to blame for bridges being off-limits (i.e. they must be passed for safety). CJ being confined to specific areas by Tenpenny doesn't make much sense as the storyline goes along (and subsequently gaining influence), tho. That bit seems a little backward.

Not that the story makes a lot of sense to begin with, I mean wink.gif

"It's...just...a...game!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users