Underrated/Overrated TV Shows

157 replies to this topic
Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

The Business

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

So you think Burn Notice is over-rated and boring huh?
user posted image
  • JG33 likes this

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

Nip/Tuck is underrated.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:24 PM

I don't watch many shows but here are some of my opinions:

Overrated:
The Simpsons - I used to love the Simpsons and I still watch it from time to time, but the original essence is no longer there. They now recycle jokes and use recent technology just all of a sudden since ever the first HD episode aired in like 2007. The seasons from the first to like 12th were the best.

Futurama - Same as above. Since Comedy Central restarted it, it's starting to go a bit downhill, but comparing Futurama to The Simpsons (in their own scenarios), maybe Futurama can be a bit more likeable.

Underrated:
CSI: CSI gets a lot of flak for being very unrealistic, nearly sci-fi-ish. Although it's true it can be quite ridiculous, I love the way crimes are thought of in the writing process of the series, the episodes have a lot of story in them, especially when they're several episodes long, or the switch from a season to another, and they have very very likeable characters.

Skins (UK): A lot of people hate it. I could say it's one of the best teen dramas I have ever watched, from start to end. Even though there can be ridiculous moments, it's quite a vision of what goes on in some teens' lives (probably excluding some of the big raves and parties you can see there, and some of the drug abuse) and it is quite fun to watch. Series' 3 and 4 had extremely likeable and more "realistic" characters, which immediately puts it into the category of underrated, because it's also quite influential, not necessarily in a bad way. Series 7 felt like a bit of a rushed ending, but appropriate for the characters' ages, so it's forgiven.

Flashpoint: Ended last year. It was not such a popular show but I really liked how the SWAT operations were planned and made, but that's probably because I've always liked seeing raid-ish situations in movies and series. I didn't think it was bad at all.

beatthedevil56
  • beatthedevil56

Your Personal Jesus

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:46 AM Edited by beatthedevil56, 20 August 2013 - 05:14 PM.

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 14:24)
New Kids is so underrated, and that isn't cool. I mean, look at how funny it is!

This is pretty much you universetwisters

user posted image

I have seen you post about this show in a copuple of topics about it and it's cool that you are passionate about a show.

But...this is how some of us fee about NEW KIDS

user posted image

Overrated:

Family Guy It doesn't make me laugh as it used to in the begging the jokes are getting stale.

Underrated

Supernatural great story line up to season 5, Season 6, 7 are garbage, 8 was a redemption season.

The Gardener
  • The Gardener

jebeno isti

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:48 AM Edited by SomeManForGTA, 20 August 2013 - 01:49 PM.

QUOTE (VF94 @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 18:23)
[IMG]insert gif with an annoying guy putting glasses onto his annoying face[IMG]

Yep. And believe me I've tried my best to like it. The simple story, the boring unlikeable characters, especially the main character. The writing is poor and the production is cheap, it's not the show for me. There's no need to reply to someone everytime they critisise your show with silly gifs and what not.

I'm going to add CSI Miami to my over-rated list as wel. The first 4 series were great but it went stale after that.

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

The Business

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE (SomeManForGTA @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 08:48)
[IMG]insert gif with an annoying guy putting glasses onto his annoying face[IMG]

Yep. And believe me I've tried my best to like it. The simple story, the boring unlikeable characters, especially the main character. The writing is poor and the production is cheap, it's not the show for me. There's no need to reply to someone everytime they critisise your show with silly gifs and what not.

I'm going to add CSI Miami to my over-rated list as wel. The first 4 series were great but it went stale after that.

It's meant to be a fun show, what do you expect The Wire?

The Gardener
  • The Gardener

jebeno isti

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:19 AM

QUOTE (VF94 @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 00:30)

It's just an opinion bro. I'll admit it had some decent action. I watched half a season but lost interest. I list it as over-rated because a couple off friends try to shove it down my throat.

Funny you mention the Wire, I'd also list it as over-rated. It was good but best of all time? Nah.

Are you going to list an over-rated/under-rated tv show or just continue defending your show? wink.gif

Just out of curiosty is your sig the main character from bn?

OneManArmy17
  • OneManArmy17

Vagos MC:Sgt at Arms PSN:Vagos_MC-Mitch

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:06 AM

The second season of the wire was just flat out garbage.

MasterO
  • MasterO

Nanomachines son.

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:27 AM

QUOTE (OneManArmy17 @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 02:06)

Care to explain why?

I personally feel it's the strongest.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:01 AM Edited by whatsstrength, 21 August 2013 - 05:36 AM.

Overrated
-The Simpsons. It's been pretty bad for years and relies mostly on pop-culture references. It exists only to maintain its' record of being the longest-running animated series.

-Tosh.0 I never really found him funny.

-Virtually anything on MTV. Nothing but trash these days.

-The Walking Dead. I liked the first 2 seasons, but season 3 completely burned me out. It's just not the same without Shane. I'll give it another go this fall.

Underrated
-Prison Break. A lot of people got turned off after season 3, but I enjoyed it and thought season 4 was half-way decent. Seasons 1 and 2 are seriously diamond-standard quality television. I would recommend this show to anyone.

-Squidbillies. I know the show is horrible at face-value, but if you just turn off your brain for a bit and soak the show in it has a lot of charm. Granny is awesome.

-I Almost Got Away With It. Real life stories of people who break out of prison and go on the run. It's always exciting to see the adrenaline rush they experienced.

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

The Business

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE (SomeManForGTA @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 01:19)
QUOTE (VF94 @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 00:30)

Just out of curiosty is your sig the main character from bn?

No, that's Raoul Duke from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. He does look a bit like Westen.

The Gardener
  • The Gardener

jebeno isti

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:38 AM Edited by SomeManForGTA, 21 August 2013 - 01:13 PM.

@VF94 Yeah they both have the same badass looking cheekbones.

I agree with onemanarmy. I liked the first series of the wire and was excited for series two and it disapointed. It felt stale and un- interesting for some reason.

Archangelsky
  • Archangelsky

Snitch

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

Overrated:

Friends - it dragged on for to long, I like the earlier seasons the most and I got to say that the humor became quite repetetive, it should have ended sooner.

Underrated:

Coupling - quite a resemblence to friends, and while being a brittish comedy show it has far less episodes and seasons, but the writing is very intelligent compared to Friends.

Venom
  • Venom

Zpider-Man

• Zaibatsu
  • England

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (MasterO @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 05:27)
QUOTE (OneManArmy17 @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 02:06)

Care to explain why?

I personally feel it's the strongest.

I kinda agree with OneManArmy17.
Whilst still well written, it wasn't as slick as season one. I couldn't have cared less for anyone revolved around the dock.

... and that Ziggy.. Oh my, God..

fuck sivispacem
  • fuck sivispacem

I love Sivispacem

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:10 AM Edited by GroveVendetta, 28 August 2013 - 05:20 AM.

Underrated
user posted image

QUOTE (VF94 @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 10:01)
Underrated
Burn Notice,it's MacGyver with spies yet no one seems to like it...and Bruce Campbell is in it.

i was about to post this.. This show is sooo Underrated

Matt Nix is a genius for making Burn Notice, seen all 6 seasons so far but i missed a couple of season 7 episodes and i dont want to ruin it for myself.. ill just have to wait for season 7 on Netflix

if you haven't seen it yet WATCH IT

best series I've ever watched, probably best you'll ever see!

QUOTE (SomeManForGTA)

user posted image

Your stupid bro, go watch your overly hyped Breaking Bad crap

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

Overrated:

Breaking Bad
Breaking Bad
Breaking Bad

Underrated:

Friends

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

The Business

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (niko bellic half brother @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 16:03)
Overrated:

Breaking Bad
Breaking Bad
Breaking Bad

Underrated:

Friends

So how's it like living in the 90's again?

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (VF94 @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 19:06)
Overrated:

Breaking Bad
Breaking Bad
Breaking Bad

Underrated:

Friends

Very nostalgic.

How did your mother position her breasts while serving up your meals during that time?

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (niko bellic half brother @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 13:18)
Overrated:

Breaking Bad
Breaking Bad
Breaking Bad

Underrated:

Friends

Very nostalgic.

How did your mother position her breasts while serving up your meals during that time?

Hey, pal, if you're just here to troll, kindly show yourself the door, please.

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

The Business

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE (niko bellic half brother @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 21:18)
Overrated:

Breaking Bad
Breaking Bad
Breaking Bad

Underrated:

Friends

Very nostalgic.

How original, maybe I should make fun of your birth date?

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (Archangelsky @ Aug 21 2013, 13:34)
Underrated:
Coupling - quite a resemblence to friends, and while being a brittish comedy show it has far less episodes and seasons, but the writing is very intelligent compared to Friends.

Hai-Fives

Glad I'm not the only one to think this, Coupling was one of the few comedies that had me smiling the whole way through, my face ached at the end of it. And for those who appreciate it you only need to mention the giggle-loop and your laughing.

Over-rated:

Breaking Bad - I've seen clips and I've seen people masturbating over it like sliced bread wasn't even invented because they think it's that good. And it's brought up in almost every conversation, basically the fans are like that annoying new parent that goes on about their kid as being the only kid in existence. "So you got that report ready for the Smith account?" - "Report... I remember when little Johnny got his first report card from school..." SLAP!... SHUT IT.

Doctor Who - Never liked it, never will, it's very childish and outdated, yeah I get that when it first aired Police Box's like that were scattered all over the country but we hardly have phone box's let alone Police Box's... get with the times and move on, let go of the Police Box. It seems that in the UK we're supposed to all love it cause it's original British TV, but I can't because Britain has produced lots more original and better TV, that whole 'hiding behind the sofa from Daleks' thing... seriously, you're scared by a large fancy traffic cone with a plunger on his head... look here's a trash can with a monkey wrench on it... go fill your pants.

Seinfeld - Just didn't get it, I know some people think like that's summoning the anti-Christ by saying I don't like it, but I just didn't get it, I couldn't see the funny, it was bland and the jokes were obvious.

Under-rated:

NCIS - Mentioned already in this topic and I agree, it's one of the highest rated shows in America but doesn't seem to get the hype surrounding it like it's contemporaries like CSI for example, maybe that is actually a good thing, as over hyping it may actually ruin it. What I like about NCIS is that it is easy to follow they don't over complicate things, which can be good in the right setting, but some shows try and be too complex. And the way the characters are written is very natural, they have a laugh and joke in the office, it's not 100% serious like other procedural shows, which annoys me, because everyone works in an workplace where you get to laugh and joke (well I hope you do anyway).

Blake's 7 - Classic British Sci-Fi which always seems to get overlooked when they do Top 10, 20, 50, 100 lists and it actually annoys me, yes the sets were wobbly and the effects weren't great but considering the budget for this 50 minute Sci-Fi show was half of what 30 Minute domestic setting Sitcoms of the time were getting makes it all the more remarkable they got it as good as they did. The stories on the whole were tight and very well written and the setting for the series was excellent. The rights have been taken up by the SyFy Channel to produce a remake, which hopefully will be what us fans have been waiting for and I hope it will be good as it's made by the same people behind my next choice...

Farscape - Original, funny, good effects, good acting, excellent scripts, Claudia Black, setting... just everything. The series was criminally cut short after 4 seasons which was a massive punch in the crotch as during the 4th season you could see where the story was going for the rest of the run, which was supposed to be 7 seasons much like the next gen Star Trek idea of 7 season runs. You could see that they would at some point bring the whole saga full circle but the plug was pulled by some bozo's at The SyFy Channel (who apparently aren't there anymore, may have been the same twonks that cancelled Family Guy, twice). Thankfully someone saw sense and let them hastily wrap things up with a two part miniseries/film, but it does make me sad that we won't get to see the original plan for the series come to fruition.

fuck sivispacem
  • fuck sivispacem

I love Sivispacem

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (Gareth Croke @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 14:40)
Hai-Fives

Glad I'm not the only one to think this, Coupling was one of the few comedies that had me smiling the whole way through, my face ached at the end of it. And for those who appreciate it you only need to mention the giggle-loop and your laughing.

Over-rated:

Breaking Bad - I've seen clips and I've seen people masturbating over it like sliced bread wasn't even invented because they think it's that good. And it's brought up in almost every conversation, basically the fans are like that annoying new parent that goes on about their kid as being the only kid in existence. "So you got that report ready for the Smith account?" - "Report... I remember when little Johnny got his first report card from school..." SLAP!... SHUT IT.

Doctor Who - Never liked it, never will, it's very childish and outdated, yeah I get that when it first aired Police Box's like that were scattered all over the country but we hardly have phone box's let alone Police Box's... get with the times and move on, let go of the Police Box. It seems that in the UK we're supposed to all love it cause it's original British TV, but I can't because Britain has produced lots more original and better TV, that whole 'hiding behind the sofa from Daleks' thing... seriously, you're scared by a large fancy traffic cone with a plunger on his head... look here's a trash can with a monkey wrench on it... go fill your pants.

Seinfeld - Just didn't get it, I know some people think like that's summoning the anti-Christ by saying I don't like it, but I just didn't get it, I couldn't see the funny, it was bland and the jokes were obvious.

Under-rated:

NCIS - Mentioned already in this topic and I agree, it's one of the highest rated shows in America but doesn't seem to get the hype surrounding it like it's contemporaries like CSI for example, maybe that is actually a good thing, as over hyping it may actually ruin it. What I like about NCIS is that it is easy to follow they don't over complicate things, which can be good in the right setting, but some shows try and be too complex. And the way the characters are written is very natural, they have a laugh and joke in the office, it's not 100% serious like other procedural shows, which annoys me, because everyone works in an workplace where you get to laugh and joke (well I hope you do anyway).

Blake's 7 - Classic British Sci-Fi which always seems to get overlooked when they do Top 10, 20, 50, 100 lists and it actually annoys me, yes the sets were wobbly and the effects weren't great but considering the budget for this 50 minute Sci-Fi show was half of what 30 Minute domestic setting Sitcoms of the time were getting makes it all the more remarkable they got it as good as they did. The stories on the whole were tight and very well written and the setting for the series was excellent. The rights have been taken up by the SyFy Channel to produce a remake, which hopefully will be what us fans have been waiting for and I hope it will be good as it's made by the same people behind my next choice...

Farscape - Original, funny, good effects, good acting, excellent scripts, Claudia Black, setting... just everything. The series was criminally cut short after 4 seasons which was a massive punch in the crotch as during the 4th season you could see where the story was going for the rest of the run, which was supposed to be 7 seasons much like the next gen Star Trek idea of 7 season runs. You could see that they would at some point bring the whole saga full circle but the plug was pulled by some bozo's at The SyFy Channel (who apparently aren't there anymore, may have been the same twonks that cancelled Family Guy, twice). Thankfully someone saw sense and let them hastily wrap things up with a two part miniseries/film, but it does make me sad that we won't get to see the original plan for the series come to fruition.[/font][/color]

I like a couple episodes of NCIS but it's not something i can watch "more than one" sort of speak
how about Law and Order: SVU..
i think it's pretty underrated

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

Law & Order? Meh.

Apart from the eps where they had Sopranos actors in them. Now that was a show.

TheUnholy
  • TheUnholy

Brain Stew

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:43 PM

Overrated

The Simpsons: The Simpsons is a legend, I can't deny it but let's be realistic. I think The Simpsons start to fall down after Season 14 (maybe Season 12). Since that, they've started to recycle jokes, they've started to use similar plots etc. I love Simpsons, I had been really enjoying The Simpsons till Season 15 but I think it's time to go for Simpsons, so we can all remember The Simpsons in a more better way.

Family Guy: Family Guy is a nice show, has its own sense of humor but this sense of humor does is not fit with me most times. I mean Family Guy generally relies on cutaway gags whose overdose really pisses me off. Honestly, I like Family Guy's first seasons (1-4 seasons) more (which are more free from cutaway gags). Watching Family Guy too much really aches my brains (because of independent jokes from plot and weak plots). I like Family Guy but I think it's overrated. Meanwhile my favourite South Park (which is still a good show, I like it more than Family Guy but I realize a falldown after Season 14, Season 15 average season but I consider Season 16 despite of some certain episodes) is considered downer than Family Guy, I totally think it's overrated.

Futurama: It's an overrated show too. Most of its fame comes from Matt Groening (the creator of The Simpsons). This show has really interesting characters and this is the show's best side for me. However, I think it's overrated. But if we compare today's Simpsons to Futurama, I can say Futurama is better than The Simpsons.

Breaking Bad: I really like Breaking Bad, one of my favourite shows that are on the run but I think it's a bit overrated. I can't say the exact reason. Although I think it's a perfect show, it's a bit overrated too.

The Walking Dead: I don't know. Although people say "Dude, it's a good show. You should watch it.", I don't find anything interesting in The Walking Dead. I describe Walking Dead as lots of guys shooting zombies, run to empty warehouses to shelter etc.

The Big Bang Theory: Ehh, not bad. It's really overrated show. The jokes are not so funny, they're generally same. Sheldon is a very "pumped" character too, that guy would be funny but just admit it, this guy is so overrated.

Underrated:

The Wire: For me, the best TV show ever, the best crime production ever. Although I know it's very popular, I've never seen a guy around me that knows about The Wire. While very sh*tty shows are pretty known, that disappoints me people know any sh*t about The Wire. I think it's really underrated.

King Of The Hill: Good old Hills. I will never forget yous. I think maybe King Of The Hill wasn't funny as hell but it's a good show. King Of The Hill generally shows animated portraits from life, ficting them with a satiric and a realistic style. That's what splits it from other animated sitcoms. It's a shame that it's cancelled because of The Cleveland Show, which is a direct copy of Family Guy, but with a little different family type. A really underrated show.

How To Make It In America: I have been trying to catch every episode of How To Make It In America when it's on the run. I generally think it's a good show, viewing American Dream in a bit different side. Also Luis Guzman did good with Rene there. I think it's a little bit underrated.
  • Mister Pink likes this

theonlytobyever
  • theonlytobyever

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

Game Of Thrones is not a bad show, but it is the most overrated show on television.

Nun0567
  • Nun0567

Thug

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

Game Of Thrones is not a bad show, but it is the most overrated show on television.

This. The acting is mediocre, the story and drama are good but miles behind Breaking Bad and The Wire and I have NO idea why this show is more popular than Breaking Bad.

The Gardener
  • The Gardener

jebeno isti

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:38 PM Edited by SomeManForGTA, 07 September 2013 - 08:42 PM.

Underrated
house2__oPt.jpg

QUOTE (VF94 @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 10:01) Underrated
Burn Notice,it's MacGyver with spies yet no one seems to like it...and Bruce Campbell is in it.

Matt Nix is a genius for making Burn Notice, seen all 6 seasons so far but i missed a couple of season 7 episodes and i dont want to ruin it for myself.. ill just have to wait for season 7 on Netflix

QUOTE (SomeManForGTA) Yep. And believe me I've tried my best to like it. The simple story, the boring unlikeable characters, especially the main character. The writing is poor and the production is cheap, it's not the show for me. There's no need to reply to someone everytime they critisise your show with silly gifs and what not.

what_the.gif

@GroveVendetta Funny you call me stupid when you don't even know the difference between you're and your :D 

I like House by the way...

fuck sivispacem
  • fuck sivispacem

I love Sivispacem

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:05 PM

Underrated
house2__oPt.jpg

QUOTE (VF94 @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 10:01) Underrated

QUOTE (SomeManForGTA) Yep. And believe me I've tried my best to like it. The simple story, the boring unlikeable characters, especially the main character. The writing is poor and the production is cheap, it's not the show for me. There's no need to reply to someone everytime they critisise your show with silly gifs and what not.

what_the.gif

@GroveVendetta Funny you call me stupid when you don't even know the difference between you're and your :D

I like House by the way...

your and you are

i dont have to proof read what i type it sounds right when you say it anyway who gives a fuck its the internet bro

Jesse Pinkman
  • Jesse Pinkman

bitch

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

My name is Earl.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:34 AM

Overrated: Almost all medical and police based programming. These shows are not popular to the general public, they are popular to melodramatic weirdos and otherwise the audience that is automatically going to watch it because they work in the profession. Those shows are so f*cking transparently trying to brainwash medical and law enforcement professionals that they need not only to be stricken from television, but the majority of their creators hung in public watch.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users