143 replies to this topic
The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Save it for a rainy day

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

Overrated: Big Bang Theory (Obligatory)
Adventure Time (Most overrated cartoon ever)
My Little Pony (Do I even need to explain?)
The Twilight Zone (Oh boy here comes the hate)
Now let me explain.
The Twilight Zone was certainly ahead of it's time, I'll give you that. But if you compare it to today, It's aged horribly. Now I'm not saying that to all episodes, there were some good episodes that could pass as quality television if they were aired today, but half of the shows episodes are mediocre compared to shows like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones. I mean some to most of the episodes follow the same fomula. Introduction to characters, twilight-zoney thing happens halfway through, twist ending. I'm not saying that applies to all episodes, there are other episodes that are a piece of art, which made me get into the series (The After Hours, Midnight Sun, The Invaders) I think that while Twilight Zone gets the respect it deserves, there are some episodes that drag it down.

Underrated: Futurama. Like everyone said its amazing how this got cancelled and that dog sh*t excuse for a show The Simpsons (new episodes) isn't. The plot, funny ass characters, everything about it is perfect, yet they choose to cancel it.
The Amazing Race. Call me homosexual all you like, I like this show. While there isn't much narrative elements or plot to it, it still holds as one of the only reality TV shows I can tolerate and enjoy.

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Hungry like the wolf

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

How can you compare Breaking Bad with The Twilight Zone? Apples and oranges brother.

TEoS
  • TEoS

We Do Not Sow

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:10 PM Edited by TEoS, 25 July 2013 - 03:06 PM.

Overrated:

The Big Bang Theory: Gonna have to join the sheep on this one, I just don't get it. I watched a bunch of episodes with an old roommate, and I found it to be mildly amusing at best. Average sitcom to me that seems to have just chewed up and spit out nerd culture to make a buck

Two and Half Men: I only watched about 3 episodes, and I thought it was genuinely bad. Just awful

Underrated

Supernatural: I am mocked by my friends about liking this show, but I don't care. I f*cking love it. It does have a super loyal fan base (which was even worked into the show's plot line), but it does seem to get sh*t on by TV elitists.

Honorable mention for Overrated goes to Breaking Bad. I actually like this show a lot, but the hype for it is overwhelming. Game of Thrones has the same thing going on, but I like the show enough for the hype to not affect my opinion. I am also one of the insufferable book readers that Voodoo mentioned so that's probably why.

Honorable mention for Underrated goes to White Collar, which is an entertaining show, but has a bit too much cheese for me to actually consider it great.

walkingsickness
  • walkingsickness

Mr. "Blow Your Head Off"

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:30 PM Edited by walkingsickness, 25 July 2013 - 04:31 PM.

Overrated:

EVERY f*ckING REALITY SHOW ON AIR FROM HONEY BOO TO THE f*ckING
KARDASHIANS (even though I would f*ck every single one of the Kardashians cool.gif )

THIS REALITY sh*t NEEDS TO GET OFF THE AIR IMMEDIATELY!

Underrated:

Vice on HBO. I think they were just doing the streaming online thing until they
singed a deal with HBO. Very informative stuff on there.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 20:54)
Underrated:

House of Cards. Was just nominated for an Emmy, which is rad, but I feel in my circle it's dramatically underrated. Incredible show.
how tear holes into something. I just find it completely terrible.

yesyesyesyes

I'm some seven episodes in and I am loving everything about this show. Kevin Spacey's Frank Underwood is a great quick fix for my Don Draper withdrawal.

W2B
  • W2B

Is Awesome!

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (thegtaman531 @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 12:16)
Underrated:
The Amazing Race. Call me homosexual all you like, I like this show. While there isn't much narrative elements or plot to it, it still holds as one of the only reality TV shows I can tolerate and enjoy.

Why would anyone call you gay for this? lol.gif

Anyway, I also love Amazing Race. Been watching it since the first season and I love every moment. And I see you're from Australia, right? Well we currently see Amazing Race Australia in my country and I love it just as much as the American version. Can't believe they visited the town where I grew up (Melkbosstrand cryani.gif I remember a few years ago they also did an episode of Fear Factor on the beach very close to where I lived)

I also like Survivor (but just the American version).
  • im_stoned likes this

Manfred Von Karma
  • Manfred Von Karma

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Underrated: Louie , i like the concept of the series , a 15 min comedy standup that wont let you down , the humor is just exceptional .

Flight180Victm
  • Flight180Victm

Give me the power, I beg of you!

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:13 PM Edited by Flight180Victm, 27 July 2013 - 08:23 PM.

Overrated
The Big Bang Theory
As much as I like it, I do feel like it has gone downhill. The earlier seasons were much better, and i've just really gotten bored with it now. I don't care for what's her name, the "Girl Sheldon". And I feel like the show hasn't moved forward really. Like, yes the story has progressed but it still feels like not much has changed since we were introduced to these "At one time" funny people. Sheldon used to be so funny, but now...every time he makes a joke, it's not funny. It's just him being stupid and I along with i'm sure a lot of people facepalm and just say Oh my God. It's sad it really is, this show used to have so much potential and it just...failed. confused.gif

Underrated
The King Of Queens
This show, oh how I love it. It's so funny, the comedy is genuine all through out the 9 seasons, the characters never get old. The jokes never get old. I do feel the last season was probly where the show started to feel "tired" but that's when they ended it. And I feel like they ended it at the perfect time. Most shows keep going until people are pretty much tired of it, but no, this show chose to not "beat the horse while it's down." The character of Doug, (Kevin James) oh man. He is just too funny! He just seems like your everyday likable guy. His weight is a problem in quite a few episodes and it never gets old. Some of the stuff he does to try to fix it is just hilarious. Carrie, his wife, isn't so much the funny one, but while being a mean person, is very likable. She seems like a normal wife. (One who you're afraid of)
And finally Arthur, Carrie's father. Okay, this guy, it's a shame he's not in a few episodes. He should be in every one! He causes so many problems for his Daughter and his Son-in-law (And others). Doug and Arthur together, it's just like, you'll be unable to breathe. Let's just say he isn't Doug's number 1 fan. The only show I think is better than this is "Friends" and that's not by much. It's just an all together great show. inlove.gif

Watch this, it's hilarious!

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Zaibatsu

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:25 PM Edited by Pandazoot, 27 July 2013 - 08:31 PM.

I find Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones are quite overrated. Sure they are great shows and there's probably nothing else like them on TV but Jesus, people speak of them as if they're the second coming or something.

Most underrated shows? Friday Night Lights, I absolutely adore it and it feels like it sometimes doesn't get the recognition it deserves. As well as that, Happy Endings which has sadly been cancelled which was a kick in the balls, especially when stuff like Modern Family and The Big Bang Theory just go on and on and on.

Edit: Oh and Parks and Recreation is underrated too. It has one of the greatest sitcom characters of the last ten years.

guib
  • guib

Do you hear the Whisper Men? The Whisper Men Are Near.

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (Flight180Victm @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 20:13)
The King Of Queens
This show, oh how I love it. It's so funny, the comedy is genuine all through out the 9 seasons, the characters never get old. The jokes never get old. I do feel the last season was probly where the show started to feel "tired" but that's when they ended it. And I feel like they ended it at the perfect time. Most shows keep going until people are pretty much tired of it, but no, this show chose to not "beat the horse while it's down." The character of Doug, (Kevin James) oh man. He is just too funny! He just seems like your everyday likable guy. His weight is a problem in quite a few episodes and it never gets old. Some of the stuff he does to try to fix it is just hilarious. Carrie, his wife, isn't so much the funny one, but while being a mean person, is very likable. She seems like a normal wife. (One who you're afraid of)
And finally Arthur, Carrie's father. Okay, this guy, it's a shame he's not in a few episodes. He should be in every one! He causes so many problems for his Daughter and his Son-in-law (And others). Doug and Arthur together, it's just like, you'll be unable to breathe. Let's just say he isn't Doug's number 1 fan. The only show I think is better than this is "Friends" and that's not by much. It's just an all together great show. inlove.gif

Watch this, it's hilarious!

It is pretty funny and I used to watch it alot.
So much actually that I grown tired from it.
Still, it was good, the characters are likable in their own way. Carrie and Dough are an odd yet funny couple. The way that they argue is just because there is this heat between them.

ZerrickiShadow
  • ZerrickiShadow

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

Overrated:
Breaking Bad: Don't get me wrong I LOVE this show. Hell it is one of my favorite shows, but I won't say it's the greatest show out there.
Dexter: Honestly seasons 1-4 were not overrated, and I feel like they got the attention and respect they deserved. Seasons 5-the ongoing season are a mixed bag, and I can see why they aren't getting Emmy nominations anymore. Still fans try to defend ever last episode.
Big Bang Theory: Nuff said
How I Met Your Mother: Hasn't been funny in years. Glad it's ending.
The Sopranos: Great show but the last season was a MESS. It was the epitome of a mixed bag of good and bad episodes.

Underrated:
Misfits & Skins: Though this is because I live in the US and not the UK. For all I know they could be considered overrated over there. Still Skins is the best teen drama I have ever seen, and Misfits is one of the best comedy shows. Plus Misfits was able to handle the entire teens with super powers in a fairly realistic manner.
My Name is Earl: Canceled far too soon.
Rules of Engagement: Same as My Name is Earl. I'll be honest it did get a tad stale in the last couple of seasons but there was far too much potential in the show that wasn't recognized.
The Shield: People often compare this and The Wire which I feel is an unfair comparison but both are some of the greatest cop shows out there. The Shield really did boost the morally ambiguous protagonist into mainstream. I think without The Shield you wouldn't see shows like Dexter, Weeds, or Breaking Bad.
The Killing: Grim, and realistic serial drama. Sure it had a weak second season but I am glad it was given a second chance with a third season.
The Americans: Amazing first season. Can't believe that no one talked about it.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:20 AM

Overrated:
The Conjuring - It was a decent movie and definitely gave a lot of nods to how they made horror films in the 70s/80s when they didn't have CGI to fall back on for everything but I didn't really find it that scary at all.
Workaholics - I tried to get into this show, I really did but it's just so f*cking stupid to me. I hate the main characters, something about them just annoys the sh*t out of me and I normally like absurd humor but this just does not appeal to me at all.

Underrated:
Ray Donovan - Not sure if this is actually underrated or not but it definitely surprised me how good it is, it's about a "fixer" in Hollywood who deals with dumb celebrities that f*ck things up and need assistance with their problems that are a direct result of their sh*tty lifestyles. I thought the setting would turn me off (Hollywood with all the fake assholes) but the main character balances it out because he's an old school Irish Boston guy with a history that alludes to him being connected with the Irish Mob, definitely recommend checking it out.

ArmoredxApple
  • ArmoredxApple

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE (ZerrickiShadow @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 20:58)
Overrated:
Breaking Bad: Don't get me wrong I LOVE this show. Hell it is one of my favorite shows, but I won't say it's the greatest show out there.
Dexter: Honestly seasons 1-4 were not overrated, and I feel like they got the attention and respect they deserved. Seasons 5-the ongoing season are a mixed bag, and I can see why they aren't getting Emmy nominations anymore. Still fans try to defend ever last episode.
The Sopranos: Great show but the last season was a MESS. It was the epitome of a mixed bag of good and bad episodes.

Underrated:
Misfits & Skins: Though this is because I live in the US and not the UK. For all I know they could be considered overrated over there. Still Skins is the best teen drama I have ever seen, and Misfits is one of the best comedy shows. Plus Misfits was able to handle the entire teens with super powers in a fairly realistic manner.
Rules of Engagement: Same as My Name is Earl. I'll be honest it did get a tad stale in the last couple of seasons but there was far too much potential in the show that wasn't recognized.
The Shield: People often compare this and The Wire which I feel is an unfair comparison but both are some of the greatest cop shows out there. The Shield really did boost the morally ambiguous protagonist into mainstream. I think without The Shield you wouldn't see shows like Dexter, Weeds, or Breaking Bad.
The Killing: Grim, and realistic serial drama. Sure it had a weak second season but I am glad it was given a second chance with a third season.

I agree with you 100% about skins, if your talking about the UK version and not the crappy US version, which I think you are. I just discovered it on Netflix, and it is one of my favorite shows, I binge watched the first 2 seasons in two days, awesome show

NikoBellic1993
  • NikoBellic1993

Peon

• Members

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 02:20)
Overrated:
The Conjuring - It was a decent movie and definitely gave a lot of nods to how they made horror films in the 70s/80s when they didn't have CGI to fall back on for everything but I didn't really find it that scary at all.
Workaholics - I tried to get into this show, I really did but it's just so f*cking stupid to me. I hate the main characters, something about them just annoys the sh*t out of me and I normally like absurd humor but this just does not appeal to me at all.

Underrated:
Ray Donovan - Not sure if this is actually underrated or not but it definitely surprised me how good it is, it's about a "fixer" in Hollywood who deals with dumb celebrities that f*ck things up and need assistance with their problems that are a direct result of their sh*tty lifestyles. I thought the setting would turn me off (Hollywood with all the fake assholes) but the main character balances it out because he's an old school Irish Boston guy with a history that alludes to him being connected with the Irish Mob, definitely recommend checking it out.

We are talking about tv shows here not movies .

MasterO
  • MasterO

Nanomachines son.

• Members

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Underrated:

Homicide: Life on the Street - Sort of a precursor to The Wire. As Police Procedurals go, this is probably the best, at least for the first 3 or 4 seasons (stop after that). Ripped to pieces by the networks and sadly a mostly forgotten 90s show.

hobointheyard
  • hobointheyard

GTAF are a joke now...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:56 AM

Over rated:

The Walking Dead - It's one of my favorite shows, but It's gotten too much attention and it's not as great as everyone says. I also hate the Daryl fan girls that are now a big part of the fan base. IMO He doesn't have a good amount of charcter development. Unlike Carl and Rick.

Under rated:

Supernatural.

Heroes - My favorite all time show, it's really good despite some cheesy moments.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:22 AM

QUOTE (NikoBellic1993 @ Wednesday, Jul 31 2013, 11:12)
QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 02:20)
Overrated:

Underrated:

We are talking about tv shows here not movies .

Meh, 2/3

ZerrickiShadow
  • ZerrickiShadow

Rat

• Members

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (ArmoredxApple @ Wednesday, Jul 31 2013, 08:04)
QUOTE (ZerrickiShadow @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 20:58)
Overrated:

Underrated:

I agree with you 100% about skins, if your talking about the UK version and not the crappy US version, which I think you are. I just discovered it on Netflix, and it is one of my favorite shows, I binge watched the first 2 seasons in two days, awesome show

Yep, I was talking about the UK Skins. First two series/seasons were amazing! However I wasn't as open minded about 3-6. But I was sad to hear it go confused.gif

The Gardener
  • The Gardener

jebeno isti

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

Over-rated: burn notice. What a piece of sh*t. Bland characters, basic stories and all round cheesy production. How it got on TV I don't know. The main character is a completely unlikeable douche and the actor who plays him is a bigger douche.

Under-rated: Sons of Anarchy. Its up there with Breaking Bad and Dexter but doesn't get half as much attention.

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (OnePiece @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 13:41)
OVERRATED
The big bang theory.

There's a million things about this show that suck, but mostly its the canned laughter and unfunny jokes that get to me. None of the characters are likable and it throws out nerd references ever 30 seconds in an attempt at humor. Even the intro song is annoying. Whats more annoying is that everybody thinks this show is great. Also Sheldon gives me this sh*ts. f*ck this show.

The Big Bang Theory is one of the best TV shows out right now, I have no clue what you're on about.

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:25 PM

I agree about My Name is Earl, it was one of the funniest shows I've ever watched! About Simpsons, I love it but the last seasons aren't good sad.gif Friday Night Lights, like Pandazoot said, was a great show too!

Trinette
  • Trinette

lean on me. so you wont. stray your neck.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

Underrated: Hemlock Grove.

I wonder why this hasn't gotten much attention? I'm extremely picky when it comes to television since I really don't even watch it much in the first place because I'm not interested in 95% of the shows out there, but this has really caught my interest and I anticipate season 2. ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

Hollowpoints
  • Hollowpoints

Poop like a Derp!

• Members

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

Underrated:
King of the Hill. I wish KOTH was still on, I mean come on man, the Cleveland Show was the reason it was cancelled.

TEoS
  • TEoS

We Do Not Sow

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

I just finished it yesterday, but the HBO show Carnivale is really quite fantastic, shame it was cancelled before it could get going. The creators had 6 planned seasons but only got 2 made, and though they tried to wrap it up as tightly as possible, you can tell there was so much more to come.

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Hungry like the wolf

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:21 PM

Underrated:Bored to Death, I mean how can you not like this?

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 20:20)
Overrated:

Haha, yeah it took me awhile to get into this one... Adam Devine ( the short one ) is funny as hell in my opinion, sometimes they do a bit of improv for the show and it just doesn't really work hah. You sort of gotta catch the right episode to get into it I think. Been lovin it lately.

UrbanTheEmcee
  • UrbanTheEmcee

I'm that bada** n*gga yo moms warned you about.

• Members

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

Under-rated
user posted image
Wendell & Vinnie

Over-rated
user posted image

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Die Hoodrat DIE!!!

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:32 PM

i agree homicide and wire were underrated. have both on dvd, well all of the wire on dvd anyway. like already said, hollywood\network messed homicide up with their meddling. if homicide could have been like the detectives' side of the wire, it might have done much better. that and adding 75% caucasian protagonists to keep caucasian america interested.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE (VF94 @ Wednesday, Aug 7 2013, 14:21)
Underrated:Bored to Death, I mean how can you not like this?

Yeah. It broke my heart when it was cancelled.

Super Ray Lives!

user posted image

TonyStark
  • TonyStark

Billionaire, playboy, philanthropist

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:06 PM Edited by TonyStark, 12 August 2013 - 06:24 PM.

QUOTE (SomeManForGTA @ Saturday, Aug 3 2013, 14:47)
Over-rated: burn notice. What a piece of sh*t. Bland characters, basic stories and all round cheesy production. How it got on TV I don't know. The main character is a completely unlikeable douche and the actor who plays him is a bigger douche.

Under-rated: Sons of Anarchy. Its up there with Breaking Bad and Dexter but doesn't get half as much attention.

Burn Notice over-rated? I didn't realize alot of people praised it? No offence to anybody that likes it but i agree, i too am not a fan of it.

Over-rated: Heroes. I heard such great things about it, so i bought the complete collection. I admit first season was pretty good and kept me hooked till the end. But after season 1, things quickly went down hill. The story arcs were boring and not to mention little to no action. And some characters felt forced into it like they needed to be there just because they were in the first season. Syler, Hiro and Noah B. are the only characters that kept me watching till the end.

Under-rated: Supernatural and Sons of Anarchy, both great shows imo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users