» «
Photo

Underrated/Overrated TV Shows

143 replies to this topic
Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:30 PM Edited by Raavi, 23 July 2013 - 01:36 PM.

There are many TV Shows we ALL know and love, right? Or do we. What are some TV Shows you consider to be underrated or ( DISCLAIMER: Controversy ) overrated. Name the show and explain why you think the show is either underrated or overrated. O and please do so without any regard to the controversy it might cause. This is not the place for nuancing or political correctness.

I'll take the first punch.

Overrated

Glee: While the series allegedly helped pave the way for a more excepting High School environment for some social outcasts, I think it has run its course. Actually in my opinion from the get-go it was a sh*tfest of blatant over-the-top political correctness, if they could they would put someone from every race and sexual preference in every single god damn frame. The whole series is basically a never-ending sequel Billy Elliot mixed with High School Musical on crack. Combine that with the continuous glorification of prepubescent child stars like Justin Bieber and the lack of a clear plot and you have one of the most overrated TV Shows of all time.
  • Ramyhyday likes this

Thunderfuckrapist
  • Thunderfuckrapist

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

OVERRATED
The big bang theory.

There's a million things about this show that suck, but mostly its the canned laughter and unfunny jokes that get to me. None of the characters are likable and it throws out nerd references ever 30 seconds in an attempt at humor. Even the intro song is annoying. Whats more annoying is that everybody thinks this show is great. Also Sheldon gives me this sh*ts. f*ck this show.
  • Rented, Audiophile and thesmileys like this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

Gotta agree with the above, TBB theory is a bad and annoying show...

I think Breaking Bad is kinda overrated. It's not a bad show, though it gets repetitive, the same situations slightly changed, like I said in a thread about BB in the GTA V section, I can't feel sympathy for almost any of the characters. I can't deny it has some good scenes, but it gets boring and sometimes the situations are just pointless.

Please don't kill me...

Shoumic
  • Shoumic

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:16 PM Edited by shoumic, 23 July 2013 - 02:20 PM.

Overrated

American Idol

I mean it's a show with horrible judges, boring contestants, horrible themes. Even though it doesn't get as many views it used to averaging 11 million viewers per episode compared to 30 in the past; I consider it over rated. I mean the voting in this show is taken more seriously than governmental elections at times.

@RoadRunner71

Just wait till GTA King sees your post. cry.gif

@Raavi

Glee is taking a turn for the worse as Cory Monteith died. Apparently the first 2 episodes were written for the fifth season and was going to feature him heavily. They may have to delay the show as well.

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Hungry like the wolf

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

Underrated
Burn Notice,it's MacGyver with spies yet no one seems to like it...and Bruce Campbell is in it.

Overrated
The Walking Dead,when it first came out I loved it but since S3 it's been going downhill fast.Not to mention Carl's actor can't act his way out of a paper bag.

Nopheros
  • Nopheros

Cool, cool cool cool. Pew.

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:19 PM Edited by Elusion123, 23 July 2013 - 06:23 PM.

Overrated:
The big bang theory is a very overrated show, and the laughtrack oh god the laughtrack is just too much. I liked the first few season then they introduced Amy, who I can't stand.
Breaking Bad is overrated, it's a great show but it's overrated. I love it, a great show.
Game of Thrones is extremely overrated, or is it? Haven't watched it, but from what i've heard.
Walking Dead is also overrated, it's zombies and sh*t. We get it, zombies are overdone and were never cool in the first place.

Funny how I think some great shows are overrated, right? tounge2.gif

Underrated:
Community, it's one of the best comedies on TV and still it almost gets cancelled every year. And Season 4 wasn't bad, people only saying sh*t like that because Dan Harmon was fired or whatever, I liked season 4 more than I liked season 3. Yeah, f*ck me right.

milkmansun
  • milkmansun

Detective

• Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

Overrated

How i met your mother

This show is just like The Big Bang theory to me. None of the characters are interesting or even likable, my opinion. But still the jokes are not that good to bring laughter.

W2B
  • W2B

Is Awesome!

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

Overrated:

Any of that "reality" sh*t like Kardashians or Jersey Shore, Fake Housewives of so and so etc etc. Nuff said

I also agree about Big Bang Theory. One of the most annoying shows I've ever seen. That skinny guy is the worst. Can't believe it's actually popular. I only saw one episode, but that was enough...

Actually, there are way to many overrated shows on tv imo. I'll be on here for hours listing them all

Underrated:

Futurama - I love everything about this show, but it got cancelled for a second time sad.gif It's so much better than Simpsons and funnier.

I'm gonna watch Under the Dome for the first time tonight. Looks promising...

Nopheros
  • Nopheros

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:38 PM Edited by Elusion123, 23 July 2013 - 06:40 PM.

QUOTE (milkmansun @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 20:31)
Overrated

How i met your mother

How dare you talk sh*t about How I Met Your Mother?

Ted and Marshall are likable, and everyone seems to love Barney, but I do agree that some of the jokes are weak, but some are also very clever. And the cast is amazing, and has great chemistry. I even love the creators, Craig Thomas and Carter Bays.

I'm just joking, buddy.
user posted image

Futurama is also very underrated, it's way better than The Simpsons. But after season 5 Futurama got bad, I hope they bring it back sometime in the future again.

And all the sh*tty reality shows are especially overrated, they suck and are fake as their tits. Jersey Shore my ass.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

I always take topics like this to encompass what we think has too much recognition compared to what has too little. So, while the stuff I list as underrated may in fact be "rated" quite highly, you don't hear much of it in the mainstream press. Or the watercooler, for that matter.

Underrated:

House of Cards. Was just nominated for an Emmy, which is rad, but I feel in my circle it's dramatically underrated. Incredible show.
White Collar. Lots of great character comedy, action, espionage, and melodrama. Like Burn Notice, but slightly fewer explosions.
The League. Just f*cking hilarious.
Kroll Show. Best sketch comedy show I've seen in ages.
Always Sunny. I had avoided this for the longest time because of Danny Devito for some reason. I was so freakin' wrong. Such a great show and despite a few misteps, it's still going strong.
Shameless. Both the UK and the US versions, although the UK is much better. SCATTER!
Supernatural. Probably the closest we'll ever get to a Preacher show. Gone down the sh*tter since the showrunner left, but still more entertaining than anything out of that house since Buffy.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer. HUGE fanbase. Huge anti-fanbase bsed largely on ignorance of the show - give it a shot! Especially if you dig Firefly or the Avengers film.
Banshee. Ok, combine this with Supernatural, and we'd really have a Preacher TV show. Missed a few steps in the first season but it's fantastic all around.

Overrated:

Modern Family.
It's funny, I'll give it that, but this thing gets WAY too much attention for what it is: just another f*cking sitcom.
Revolution. How has this not been cancelled, yet? I mean, I can understand why shows like "Vampire Diaries" and "Once Upon a Time" stick around. But this? I'd have hoped that the core fan base would be the same sort who could recognize how stupid it is. tounge.gif
The Venture Bros. I just don't get it. It doesn't take itself seriously enough to carry a story and it's not really funny enough to elicit much of a laugh from me.
Mystery Science Theatre. Perhaps it's a personal dislike of cynicsim, but I can't stand seeing a crappily produced show tear holes into something. I just find it completely terrible.

Failure
  • Failure

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:26 PM Edited by elanman, 23 July 2013 - 07:32 PM.

QUOTE (Otter @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 18:54)

Shameless. Both the UK and the US versions, although the UK is much better. SCATTER!

A hundred times yes, Otter.

Even though it sort of becomes a bit repetitive by season 7/8, it's still an excellent and largely underrated show. Never seen the US version, but the UK version has a lot of social commentary and actively demonstrates the plight of working communities, which is incredibly refreshing when TV is saturated with American sitcoms about wealthy, or at least financially comfortable, people. The first two seasons constituted some of the best TV I've ever seen, and the other episodes were generally very good also.

I'd say Big Wolf on Campus was an underrated kid's show. I used to love that show when I was a kid, but none of my friends seemed to even know about it. Wolves (specifically the American grey wolf) are my favourite animals to this day, and I wonder how responsible that show was for this.

Round here I'd say that GoT and Breaking Bad are actually underrated, though world-wide I think they get the high level of praise fitting for such excellent TV shows.

I know Friends is probably considered horribly overrated, but in context it's probably underrated. The fact that they managed to churn out a consistently funny show with fresh ideas (largely involving only six characters, no less) for almost a decade is staggering when you look at certain other sitcoms...

...The Big Bang Theory is hideously overrated. Let me be clear, two years ago I really enjoyed the show. The physics references were frequent, accurate and largely representative of what a physics or mathematics lover would say. However, the show has gone on for far too long and has just become Nerds in the f*cking city. Honestly, I thought the show was fresh and interesting at first but it seems to have devolved into sitcom cliche. I actually liked Amy initially, but now that they've "humanised" her she has become an intolerable, cookie-cutter character--the sexual tension between her and Sheldon is nauseating and makes for piss-poor TV. Raj has become an insufferable, effeminate character who whines all the bloody time. Leonerd is awful--he's a distinguished physics researcher with a smoking hot girlfriend (Penny is one of the few reasons to keep watching), but complains all the time. I also can't get over some of the new episodes which are centered around the three female characters. I'm not being sexist here, but you don't watch the Big Bang Theory to see girls go to Disneyland, or for a cliched sitcom wedding, or to see Raj's sickeningly pampered dog/reason why he can't get laid. Clearly these new episodes are there to pander to the general audience, so I can't blame the producers for making them, but they still make for piss-poor TV for anyone who isn't an adolescent girl. Thankfully, Howard is still an excellent character, without whom the show just wouldn't be worth watching. I used to like Sheldon a lot, but now he's completely lost all of his originality and become one of the cliched sitcom characters which the writers were clearly avoiding at the start of the show's life. Also, the laugh-track is far too frequent now--hearing someone say "OK" is not funny.

For overrated shows I'd also say reality TV in general, which to me is just garbage.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 19:54)
White Collar. Lots of great character comedy, action, espionage, and melodrama. Like Burn Notice, but slightly fewer explosions.

Hallelujah, amen! Everything is simply amazing about that show, can't wait 'till the next season starts, the cliffhanger was great with peter being arrested for a murder neil's father committed, and all.

@VF94 Indeed burn notice is great, love the miami setting and it has a great plot. Not to mention the sexual tension between Fiona and Michael, looking forward to what happens next (last) season..

Underrated :

Chuck: great show with an equal premise and a lot of character development. Too bad they cancelled it after a few seasons.

NikoBellic1993
  • NikoBellic1993

Peon

• Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (Elusion123 @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 18:19)
Overrated:
The big bang theory is a very overrated show, and the laughtrack oh god the laughtrack is just too much. I liked the first few season then they introduced Amy, who I can't stand.
Breaking Bad is overrated, it's a great show but it's overrated. I love it, a great show.
Game of Thrones is extremely overrated, or is it? Haven't watched it, but from what i've heard.
Walking Dead is also overrated, it's zombies and sh*t. We get it, zombies are overdone and were never cool in the first place.

Funny how I think some great shows are overrated, right? tounge2.gif

Underrated:
Community, it's one of the best comedies on TV and still it almost gets cancelled every year. And Season 4 wasn't bad, people only saying sh*t like that because Dan Harmon was fired or whatever, I liked season 4 more than I liked season 3. Yeah, f*ck me right.

How can you say that something is overrated if you didn't even watch it ? Are you a sheep that listens to other people instead of having his own opinion ?
  • Kippers likes this

Valenta
  • Valenta

True hope is swift.

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

Underrated: Classic Doctor Who (1963-1989).

Nopheros
  • Nopheros

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (NikoBellic1993 @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 21:47)
QUOTE (Elusion123 @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 18:19)
Overrated:

Funny how I think some great shows are overrated, right?  tounge2.gif

Underrated:

How can you say that something is overrated if you didn't even watch it ? Are you a sheep that listens to other people instead of having his own opinion ?

Haha.
I'm going to watch it sometime soon, but for now lets say that it's overrated. wink.gif I'm joking, but I'm not really into fantasy shows and stuff like that, but LOTR though is epic, The Hobbit and Harry Potter aswell. If I love those, will I like GOT?

Shoumic
  • Shoumic

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 01:42)
Hallelujah, amen! Everything is simply amazing about that show, can't wait 'till the next season starts, the cliffhanger was great with peter being arrested for a murder neil's father committed, and all.

Good to see there are people here who watch it as well. The sad thing is every season things go back to normal after the first 2-3 episodes. Then they go back to doing cases. Wonder why it's a fall release though, didn't they usually start the new season during summer?

Valenta
  • Valenta

True hope is swift.

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

The Big Bang Theory is hideously overrated, glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

New Kids is so underrated, and that isn't cool. I mean, look at how funny it is!

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

Overrated: I'll agree with Otter here, and say Modern Family. I enjoy the show quite a bit, but it's not the best comedy show on TV. Definitely doesn't deserve so many Emmys when a show like Louie is around.

Underrated: Strike Back. At least the ones produced by Cinemax. It reminds me of a R-rated version of the first season of 24, except better.

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Zaibatsu
  • France

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:16 AM Edited by rudy., 24 July 2013 - 06:09 AM.

Underrated:

Supernatural. While I do realize that it's got an insanely passionate fan base, it really does get shoved into the CW / Teen Beat category when it's actually a pretty decent, well executed sci-fi show. It should get at least the same level of critical kudos as Fringe (which is also awesome)

Followed by Hannibal. It's amazing and I'd recommend it to everyone. Not everyone's cup of tea probably, but the cinematography, cast and writing is just great. It's not a typical crime drama and is far more layered and interesting than most things I have seen in a while, so I think everyone should have given it a chance. Also, NBC stupidly placed the show on a Thursday night against two popular rival network shows in the middle of seasons showing ratings growth for both shows, and Hannibal had the misfortune of starting weeks after The Following premiered and had time to develop an audience. I think that's the reason why not a lot of people are into it.

The Americans: I thought it was going to be an outdated concept, with outdated actors in an outdated setting, but they proved me wrong.

Enlightened is yet another underrated f*ck. It had a very modest ratings to put it lightly, which is a shame, because it's an incredibly good show. Really touching, heartfelt and beautifully written. Long story short, I wasn't going to watch at first because the plot sounded so boring and like a show that was just going to be a a boring re-hash of self help and 12 step philosophy. I really only gave it a chance because I think Mike White is an interesting writer (I was a huge fan of Pasadena and I'm still sad that show never got a chance). The show is so sublime and so much more than the sum of its parts. It's sharp and bitting and honest about things you rarely see honestly discussed on TV (for instance it's probably the most honest examination of new age philosophy I've ever seen and maybe the only TV show I've ever seen to honestly question the self centered nature of many 12 step based recovery programs) but also warm and giving. It's so hard to describe.

Finally, Don't Trust the B. It was ONE of my favorite comedy on the air, and I was f*ckin' disappointed when they cancelled it. I guess I can say that I really wished more people watched that sh*t.

Jukka095
  • Jukka095

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

Is it just me who thinks The Simpsons are overrated? I loved the first 10 seasons of it, but after that it has been going downhill. The characters have lost a lot of their nuance and just become parodies and extremes of themselves. Most of the jokes are childish and not even funny.

I'm not saying the show is terrible, but it should have been retired at least 5 years ago though.

• EyeMacHunt likes this

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Hungry like the wolf

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (Otter @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 18:54)

Burn Notice doesn't have that many explosions...does it?
user posted image

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Members
  • England

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE (VF94 @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 19:01)
Underrated
Burn Notice,it's MacGyver with spies yet no one seems to like it...and Bruce Campbell is in it.

I love Burn Notice, I shat bricks when Adrian Pasdar came on board, I have liked him since he was on Heroes, yeah laugh, so you have found one person who does at least tounge.gif

under-rated:
-For me chuck was way under-rated, I loved that show
-Another under-rated one was one called sacnctuary, i am still sad that got canceled, it is way better than supernatural imo and that's still going sad.gif
- psych - this show needs more recognition, it might just be silly, but it is quite funny and can really pick you up on a bad day.

Over-rated:
-pretty much any reality show
-that includes and goes double for any 'talent' show like x-factor
-the walking dead - I jsut could not get into it, but i have been meaning to give it another go

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Hungry like the wolf

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

Then this is the place for you.
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=565178

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (Jukka095 @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 07:27)
Is it just me who thinks The Simpsons are overrated? I loved the first 10 seasons of it, but after that it has been going downhill. The characters have lost a lot of their nuance and just become parodies and extremes of themselves. Most of the jokes are childish and not even funny.

I'm not saying the show is terrible, but it should have been retired at least 5 years ago though.

Indeed, the new seasons are boring, insipid plots and jokes. They seems to just care about adding some famous people, thinking that way the show is better.

About other that have been mentioned here, Psych is quite good, though not too known. I liked Trailer Park Boys too, in my country wasn't broadcasted in any public/half public tv channel (I don't know in other countries, but here there are a bunch of public and private tv channels that are broadcasted without paying; just buying a mandatory tv receptor needed to see any channel).

The Walking Dead may be overhyped, I've seen some episodes and well, it's not bad but I think there are better shows.

About Supernatural, I liked the first seasons (dat Impala tounge.gif ). However, I've seen some episodes of newer seasons and they aren't that cool as they used to be.

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

Overrated - The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad.

First off, I enjoy all three of these shows. Still, TWD is pretty poorly written and soap opera-ish and feels a little crammed down everyone's throat. I love GoT, but I find the people who have read the books to be insufferable most of the time. The hype surrounding the show is ridiculous. Breaking Bad has had some great moments but it isn't the "end all" of television and the people who won't STFU about it are incredibly annoying.

Most of the shows I would consider underrated have been cancelled for just that reason. Arrested Development, Frisky Dingo, Better Off Ted, Deadwood and My Name is Earl are a few.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

Underrated: Revolution - It's a really good show with really famous actors but it is very underrated.
Prison Break - Deserves a LOT more attention, I'm on Season 2 and the episode in Season 1 where Michael pretends to be crazy to talk to Haywire and ask him to remember the tattoo made my jaw drop.
  • im_stoned likes this

guib
  • guib

Do you hear the Whisper Men? The Whisper Men Are Near.

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

Underrated:
Cold Case
NCIS
Hawaii five-o
Community (Although lately it has gone up, people start to appreciate it more)

Overrated:
Big Bang Theory like everybody said. People are not laughing with them or at the situation, they are laughing at the nerds: "Oh Raj can't get a girlfriend, haha what a loser", "look how weird Sheldon is, he is crazy!" At some point when I watched it, I actually wanted that Raj had a girlfriend, but apparently the writers like to torture their characters. So I don't watch it anymore...

Anyway, I watch The Walking Dead too, and for me the tension and the awesome cliffhangers is what does the trick for me.

Laura91
  • Laura91

Portia's #1 Fan

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE (Jukka095 @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 07:27)

I agree. I remember watching The Simpsons from the pilot episode onward, but I think it was around 2007 or so, it went downhill for me.

J-B
  • J-B

Syrup Drenched

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE (VF94 @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 12:01)
Underrated

Burn Notice is great. I've always thought of it as Macgyver, Miami Vice, and The A Team all smashed into one show.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users