Quantcast

» «
Photo

Fight Club getting a sequel

18 replies to this topic
Trinette
  • Trinette

lean on me. so you wont. stray your neck.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:54 AM

user posted image

Chuck Palahniuk is working on a comic book sequel to his era-defining novel Fight Club. Palahniuk confirmed the news on his official site today, saying he was in the early process of figuring out the best way to create and publish a series of graphic novels set ten years after the events of the first book. "Nowadays, Tyler is telling the story, lurking inside Jack, and ready to launch a comeback," he wrote. "Jack is oblivious. Marla is bored. Their marriage has run aground on the rocky coastline of middle-aged suburban boredom. It's only when their little boy disappears, kidnapped by Tyler, that Jack is dragged back into the world of Mayhem." The news was first revealed at a panel at Comic-Con last week.

Palahniuk wasn't specific about when we'll see the first installment of the sequel, but he said it could be a while due to contractual obligations. However, "since the Fight Club sequel will appear serialized in graphic form, my book publisher might allow me to launch it earlier than 2015." Artist Gabor Kiss has adapted two Chuck Palahniuk novels into online comics, but this would be the first time Palahniuk has created an original work in the medium, though he's expressed interest in comics before. It would also follow up a largely self-contained novel that, along with its film adaptation, became a major cultural touchstone at the turn of the 21st century. Which isn't to say there's no precedent: Stephen King will soon publish a sequel to his early novel The Shining, and Bret Easton Ellis' Lunar Park commented on the writing of cult classic American Psycho decades after the fact.

Source

What do you guys think of this? I've read the novel and watched the movie many years ago and Fight Club has been a really significant story in my life. Now that there's a confirmed sequel I'm not sure what to think. Years ago I thought that it was perfect the way it ended and thought "how could this ever have a proper sequel? It's just not happening" and here we are, 17 years later, and another is in the works. I'm still going to read the graphic novel regardless of what my opinions were since I have a lot of respect for Chuck Palahniuk as an author and think it'll turn out to be pretty good.

Thoughts? ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:59 AM

If it's by Chuck than it will be good. I'm really curious to see where he goes with it. Maybe Tyler is going to try and be reborn through the narrator's son, thus having a body of his own?

Oh how the mind wonders. alien.gif alien.gif

The__Phoenix
  • The__Phoenix

aka bud23

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:43 AM

Chuck is oblivious. Palahniuk is bored. Chuck Palahniuk has run out of money.

A graphic novel? Serialized? "I felt like destroying something beautiful". Go f*ck yourself.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:28 AM

Chuck Pala is one of my favorite modern authors.
hands down.

his writing and his visual style combined with an actual comic book (especially about Fight Club) would be awesome.
mark me down for excited icon14.gif

Verdant
  • Verdant

Rasta Blasta!

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

That would be pretty sick, I'm looking forward to this now!
What a great film it was with Edward Norton and Brad Pitt, (haven't read the book though, must be a bit different in a way I guess? So I will check that out)
I better stop talking about Fight Club, I'm already breaking the first and second rule tounge.gif ...

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (bud23 @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 04:43)

A graphic novel? Serialized? "I felt like destroying something beautiful". Go f*ck yourself.

This

Can no one remember how FC ended? How does it to to a normal suburban existence? The quotes synopses sounds stupid

Belaphron
  • Belaphron

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

Not really looking forward to this. From what I've read of him I don't think he is anything special, and Choke was pure garbage.

baguvix_wanrltw
  • baguvix_wanrltw

Cynical, yeah. Bitter, probably.

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

Quote for great justice. Also, if anything, make it a movie. I have no problem with reading but not "graphic novels" (which is, like "collector's figurines" just an euphemism for kid stuff*). And there's no point pretending FC reached most of its audience in a written form.

*Excluding the *actual* Max Payne games 1&2.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THIS ONE GOES OUT TO ALL THE RAVERS IN THE NATION.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

I remember when I was like 5 or something, I got Midnight Club for the PS2, and on the back cover, it said "you know the rules...there are no rules" or something like that. Well, a few years later, my brother and I were watching fight club, and the part where the dude said "rule one...there are no rules" or something like that, my mind was BLOWN.

On a related note, a sequel would be cool, and I'm glad that another dude is taking the lead, seeing as that seems to be the only way for sequels to get any ground from what I noticed.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 12:25)
On a related note, a sequel would be cool, and I'm glad that another dude is taking the lead, seeing as that seems to be the only way for sequels to get any ground from what I noticed.

What?

I liked the book, and Palahniuk is a great storyteller, but come the f*ck on. Bud23 hit the nail on the head.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 10:28)
Bud23 hit the nail on the head.

says who?

you guys are no fun.
I mean, what's the big deal? a one-off comic book from Chuck.

it won't be a masterpiece. it's sort of a gimmick for collectors.
but who cares. it should be a cool little piece.

AreXi
  • AreXi

Quack Quack

• Zaibatsu

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (baguvix_wanrltw @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 18:11)

Quote for great justice. Also, if anything, make it a movie. I have no problem with reading but not "graphic novels" (which is, like "collector's figurines" just an euphemism for kid stuff*). And there's no point pretending FC reached most of its audience in a written form.

*Excluding the *actual* Max Payne games 1&2.

Excuse me? Graphic novels are "kid stuff"?

Are you retarded or are you just ignorant?

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

EZ5

• United-States

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

This doesn't sound like it would make any sense at all. I'd take a sequel to Kindergarten Cop over this. icon13.gif

gtamad8
  • gtamad8

The Miracle

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:08 PM

*cough* moneygrab *cough*

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:11 PM Edited by blitz, 24 July 2013 - 10:21 PM.

I'm excited.

Fight Club is easily my favorite book, and it'll be interesting to see how Chuck pieces this thing together.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

The idea that writing a comic book could be considered a "money grab" is probably the funniest comment so far in thread seething with cynical waste. Brava.

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:16 AM

You guys ever read haunted by him. First chapter is about a guy masturbating underwater with his ass on the pool filter and he gets an anal prolapse and has to chew through it to stop from drowning as his guts are caught in the filter. Supposedly based on a true story chuck heard from a guy at a sex addiction clinic.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:22 AM

yeah Haunted was my introduction to Chuck.
ex girlfriend gave me the book to read and I never gave it back to her biggrin.gif

after that I went with Choke and Fight Club.
FC was already a movie when I read the book, but that didn't affect my enjoyment of it. I think they did a fantastic job with the FC film.

I read Choke long before they made that movie but it actually bothered me.
the film isn't half as good as the novel although Sam Rockwell was fantastic.

eight nine
  • eight nine

trolololling the trolls

• Members

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

A fight club sequel will be lame. It will ruin its cult status, like the boondock saints sequel.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users