Photo

Nostalgic about Portland?

7 replies to this topic
Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

I've seen a lot of people bemoan the fact that you can't step foot into half of Portland without getting blown to bits by the Mafia (which was- let's face it- made far too powerful in this game!) after a certain unnameable point. And I've seen it suggested that one save the bulletproof Patriot or acquire some other bulletproof vehicle whenever they'd like to cruise around in that area. Works well enough, I suppose.

But I haven't seen anyone make this suggestion, which I think is superior if only due to the fact that you are protected even when you get out of your vehicle! For some strange reason, Rockstar chose "Rigged to Blow" for D-Ice's repeatable mission (where pretty much any of the others would seem a better choice). But we should be glad they did. Now, whenever we want to go visit Portland without any interruptions, we can just borrow D-Ice's car (by activating this mission, of course). So long as we can get it to the garage in Portland in the given time limit, which should be an easy task for anyone who's gotten that far in the game in the first place, we get free roam of Portland for as long as we like. You don't even have to worry about failing the mission. Just park the car out of the way somewhere and enjoy Portland as it was back in its heyday! tounge.gif You can return D-Ice's car whenever you get good and ready.

Of course, its only drawback is that you still can't do any of the side missions. So yeah, maybe "time machine" was a bit much confused.gif

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

Well, this is known and I have actually seen it suggested in some topics about collecting Portland Hidden Packages after the mission 'Sayonara Salvatore'. However, I'm sure there will have been some people that don't know this icon14.gif

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

EZ5

• United-States

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:25 PM

smile.gif icon14.gif I was the first to find this years ago! I'm too lazy to dig up such an old topic.

I parked D-Ices car in the first save game area. The best part about this is no matter if you accomplish the mission it's still available.

Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

Yep. I must admit it never occurred to me until recently. And I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere. I like the fact that there's no time limit after you diffuse the bomb, and Portland remains friendly even if you and the car travel all the way to Shoreside and return (Yes, I went through the trouble of checking that myself, lol).

Did you guys also know:

You can run as many of them over as you like? The mafia dudes? And their buddies won't jump in, even if they see the whole thing? biggrin.gif You can also kill them any other way, but you'll need to flee the scene and come back because those same buddies consider that more vengeance-worthy for some reason.

Xegethra
  • Xegethra

Trick

• Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:12 AM Edited by Xegethra, 23 July 2013 - 12:17 AM.

Well, I suppose because they didn't expect you to get out of the car in the mission and so didn't change the Mafia's behaviour to neutral again, like they have done for when you are in the car because we all know that mission would be impossible if they didn't make them avoid shooting the car...although in some missions they change their guns to smg's to make it easier for you to stroll by (Big N Veiny is one of them) so I dunno why they completely neutralised them for this mission....or in the case of Tourismo, kept the area really hostile and didn't change anything there....

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE (Vanzant @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 00:25)
smile.gif icon14.gif I was the first to find this years ago! I'm too lazy to dig up such an old topic.

I parked D-Ices car in the first save game area. The best part about this is no matter if you accomplish the mission it's still available.

You were the first one? Good find Vanzant! What a brilliant discovery. cookie.gif cookie.gif

Did you guys also know:

You can run as many of them over as you like? The mafia dudes? And their buddies won't jump in, even if they see the whole thing?  biggrin.gif You can also kill them any other way, but you'll need to flee the scene and come back because those same buddies consider that more vengeance-worthy for some reason.

Well, to be honest, I have never really tried it, thanks for sharing icon14.gif

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

Grand Theft Auto III Chain Game Former Chief

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (Xegethra @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 03:12)
although in some missions they change their guns to smg's to make it easier for you to stroll by (Big N Veiny is one of them)

I don't know about you, but on my game (both PS2 and PC versions) the Mafia still carry Shotguns during "Big'N'Veiny". I've checked that out myself numerous times.

Xegethra
  • Xegethra

Trick

• Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

I've not encountered them at all, they use smgs on me, not a shotgun in sight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users