Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (LibSity @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 18:22)
Do you know what a suck up is? All I said is that DH said he doesn't watch the shows, and I really don't feel like anything BB will be in the game. It's my favorite TV show ever, but people need to quit talking about it so much.

In that case, sorry, you're coming across as one of those GTA Fanboys who think GTA is completely original and never takes anything from anywhere.

Still, it doesn't change the fact, we have Anthony from O&A, who's worked on previous GTA games Radio Content with Lazlow, flat out say he's doing something which will make people think Breaking Bad, how do you get around that? You say you don't think there will be ANY BB references at all, yet we already have one solid confirmation.

LibSity
  • LibSity

Genetically Superior

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

No, you're just reaching because you like BB & GTA a lot.

Family dynamics contributing to misery? That's very common.

The characters in every sitcom ever are held back by their friends, so they must be related to BB.

Bill Nye is also a master at a profession.

Reach.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (LibSity @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 17:46)

The characters in every sitcom ever are held back by their friends, so they must be related to BB.

Reach.

So you are saying no GTA has ever borrowed from pop culture?

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:52 PM Edited by Gregers08, 24 July 2013 - 05:54 PM.

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 17:24)
QUOTE (Gregers08 @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 17:24)
@GTAKING Sorry but I still don't see how that kind of relationship leads directly to BB, it's a very common dynamic in stories to have an older man mentor a younger guy that shows signs of brilliance but is a little rough around the edges. Hell it's not like the father son dynamic hasn't already been done in GTA before, Tony and Luis shared a very similar relationship which Luis's friends even mock him for the amount of times he's mentioned that Tony is like the father he never had.

Have you watched Breaking Bad?

The answer to this question is very important.

Yes watched most episodes multiple times I've recommended the show to many people who also love it now that being said I think you're reaching when it comes to that dynamic relating BB it quite a generic relationship for a story

I even guessed Mike and Franklin would have a father/son relationship when they were just called balcony guy and red car man this was also before I watched a single episode of BB

Made this fanart a year ago the reason It has the protagonists names on the board now is because I've updated it since but it has always been about Mike and Frank the only thing I added was the board and some outlines.
user posted image

Point I'm trying to make is even I thought of that relationship for the them so it's hardly an original dynamic

Tqm761
  • Tqm761

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:52 PM Edited by Tqm761, 24 July 2013 - 06:00 PM.

Actually there is something related to breaking bad that will appear in gtav. Anthony cumia of the opie an Anthony radio show recently tweeted "think of breaking bad" when some one asked what his role in gta v will be.. He did voice overs in gta 4 an red dead. Check it out @anthonycumia

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:53 PM Edited by theomenofficial, 24 July 2013 - 05:55 PM.

QUOTE (Sleepy187. @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 18:14)
The amount of Breaking Bad posts on this forum literally made me hate Breaking Bad even though I felt like watching it.

Stupid Breaking Bad.

Go watch it now.
Why would you put a show off by it's fans?
Most of them aren't even like this, it's these stupid trolls arguing that make us do this.

@above, I posted the tweet a couple pages back.

jpoulos98
  • jpoulos98

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

Im sure that breaking bad inspired some of the story of gta 5 but that doesn't mean what so ever that it will be hugely referenced or play a big role in the game itself. Will find out for sure once the game has come out so please just give the breaking bad stuff up suicidal.gif

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

Maybe because I am such a huge fan of BB that I see it. That's all I can conclude from this, lol. All I know is that when I see Michael and Franklin on screen together, I will always think of Walt and Jesse. I am honestly surprised alot of you don't see the similarities too. But, it is what it is I suppose. Different strokes and all. I still think R* were inspired though.

LibSity
  • LibSity

Genetically Superior

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 17:49)

Reach.

No I am saying that you are reaching on every single one of your points because you like BB & GTA/

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:02 PM Edited by GTA-King, 24 July 2013 - 06:08 PM.

QUOTE (LibSity @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 18:01)

Reach.

No I am saying that you are reaching on every single one of your points because you like BB & GTA/

The way I see it is... if Vice City can borrow from Scarface, why can't V borrow from Breaking Bad?

EDIT: Hell, even The Pegorinos from IV were a rip off of The Sopranos... especially in the later seasons with all the paranoia. Plus, their main base of operation is a strip club.

Kjax39
  • Kjax39

Playa

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

I love Breaking Bad. It's easily the most complex and ingenious narrative ever put into motion, with acting that is more than good enough to keep up with it and keep you engaged. But, this right here.... Is f*cking retarded.

lectoryo
  • lectoryo

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

To say it won't borrow from or reference Breaking Bad is asinine. For the 1000th time, they directly referenced Breaking Bad in the GI release.

Although if they ever really want to use an epic So Cal television drama, The Shield is where it's at. Words cannot express how badly I want a Rockstar game on dirty cops/Rampart. I love BB as much as the next guy, but I feel like no one has ever even seen the Shield. It blows BB WAY the f*ck out of the water.

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (Kjax39 @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 18:08)
I love Breaking Bad. It's easily the most complex and ingenious narrative ever put into motion, with acting that is more than good enough to keep up with it and keep you engaged. But, this right here.... Is f*cking retarded.

Yeah great show would even go as far as to say it's basically a 3rd scarface movie in the form of an amazing tv show, however I still haven't seen any decent evidence to show that it has influenced GTAV in any way.

@lectoryo Gameinformer referenced Braking bad not R*

Apollo_33
  • Apollo_33

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (lectoryo @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 18:08)
To say it won't borrow from or reference Breaking Bad is asinine. For the 1000th time, they directly referenced Breaking Bad in the GI release.

Who is ''they''? You mean GameInformer?

Are they developing the game? No. The author of the article just happened to mention it.

You guys need to stop embarassing yourselves.

GTAVAu
  • GTAVAu

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:45 AM

Reach.

Excellent point!

Apollo_33
  • Apollo_33

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:17 AM

Considering Houser wrote the script in 2008-2009, there's not a lot of chance that he'd bring elements from some TV show that was on its first season and had a very small a cult following.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE (Apollo_33 @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 02:17)
Considering Houser wrote the script in 2008-2009, there's not a lot of chance that he'd bring elements from some TV show that was on its first season and had a very small a cult following.

And again, what about the quote from Anthony of O&A, who hinted people to "Think Breaking Bad" as for what he's doing in GTAV. Even if it's just a radio spoof, a skit or an easter egg, it's still a refernce to Breaking Bad in the game which apparently all of you haters will hate and despise.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:35 AM Edited by GTA-King, 25 July 2013 - 01:45 AM.

QUOTE (Apollo_33 @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 01:17)

I don't understand this post.

Are you saying DH wrote the entire script for V himself? In one year?! Sauce! And I am pretty sure that there would be other things to consider before the story... like the location, & building that. In my opinion, the story would have to have been (almost) complete by 2011. Plenty of time to draw inspiration from Breaking Bad... which would be in it's 4th season by that point.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:52 AM

Tweet that I mentioned: The guy who sings the pisswasser song in IV tweeted this yesterday: https://twitter.com/...136192735875073

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 12:35)
QUOTE (Apollo_33 @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 01:17)

I don't understand this post.

Are you saying DH wrote the entire script for V himself? In one year?! And I am pretty sure that there would be other things to consider before the story... like the location, & building that. In my opinion, the story would have to have been (almost) complete by 2011. Plenty of time to draw inspiration from Breaking Bad... which would be in it's 4th season by that point.

And obviously scripts are subject to change.

I don't expect a heavy influence of B&B considering Sam/Dan Said they weren't watching it. But there probably be references from co-writers.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

The vulgar, Irish, writer!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:03 PM Edited by Ziggy455, 27 July 2013 - 10:11 PM.

I had to throw in my two cents here. When considering each GTA over the last decade, it becomes apparent that Rockstar used many motifs, nods, and thematic gripes in their plots. GTA Vice City was obviously a nod to Scarface. GTA: SA was obviously more of a nod to the films of Menace II society and Boyz in the Hood. This has been clear but when it came to GTA IV, I never really saw any cultural references. Although it's clear in most crime games that they take many ideas from similar things. Kane and Lynch? Obviously a reference to Heat in many ways etc etc. Now when I look at GTA V I don't see any clear kind of way that Breaking Bad is put into it? There's several characters; Michael, Trevor, and Franklin.

They do NOT, in ANY way share any kind of similarity to Walt or Jesse. Franklin is a young street thug trying to go straight, while Michael is a rich, miserable man who loves carnage and chaos. Okay, we can see a little bit of Walt in that; the addiction to chaos and destruction blah blah f*ckity blah, but how can that constitute an entire character? It's like 90% of crime-related fiction. One thing borrows another. But can I see a real definitive line between BB and V? No. No I cannot. In my opinion, they're worlds apart if all we have to go on is 'similar' relationships and the fact that drugs are a possibility within the game. From this point, it's like saying that GTA V shows a relation to Money Never Sleeps because we're corrupt bastards putting our money in stocks. Or there's a link to From Dusk Til' Dawn because one of the characters is a violent serial killer. I feel like we're grasping at straws with it.

Don't get me wrong. I like Breaking Bad; but seriously, fanboys, stop trying to find a relation. Just enjoy the game for what it is and enjoy the show for what it is.

EDIT: Nobody is saying there's not going to be references to the show. I believe there will be, but seriously, not to the amount people believe.

The Ripper 666
  • The Ripper 666

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

I didn't realize we had so many writers at Rockstar here who just know exactly what's in the game
OT: I think it'd be just fine to have a couple of easter eggs in game it won't hurt anyone

CSM. HB J-DOGG
  • CSM. HB J-DOGG

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

I know DJ Pooh is Writing on GTAV Im sure he wont need to watch BB for references when he is a accomplished movie writer and game writer him self

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

There will certainly be a few nods to BB in V here and there, but there is no need to get carried away with the imagination. V's premise is too fresh to be heavily reliant on any other major works. BB is an amazing show though.

Dr Zoidburg
  • Dr Zoidburg

woop woop woop!

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:39 AM

Although if they ever really want to use an epic So Cal television drama, "The Shield" is where it's at.

ABSOLUTELY THIS! icon14.gif

cookie.gif x1000!

I wonder if any of these BB fanboys have even HEARD of "The Shield".

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

The vulgar, Irish, writer!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE (Dr Zoidburg @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 00:39)
Although if they ever really want to use an epic So Cal television drama, "The Shield" is where it's at.

ABSOLUTELY THIS! icon14.gif

cookie.gif x1000!

I wonder if any of these BB fanboys have even HEARD of "The Shield".

I think people forget there were other amazing crime-related series that were around alot longer and left their mark much stronger before 2008.

Lil_B_The Basedgod
  • Lil_B_The Basedgod

f*ck the mods

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

there will be breaking bad references #FACT

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

Payday 2 has a Breaking Bad inspired heist, maybe GTA V should have something like this.

ScottishHeist123
  • ScottishHeist123

After 5 years on the East Coast, it's time to go home...

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

What does Breaking Bad have to do with GTA V? I don't quite see the familiarities yet.

doublehelix
  • doublehelix

Unbalanced

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:48 AM Edited by SpookySimon, 28 July 2013 - 12:34 PM.

Have to agree with the dissenters - as much as I love Breaking and cant wait for the final half season to start next month I think its just plain simple minded artless fanboyism seeing connections and references where they don't exist. It just makes you look ignorant and as if Breaking Bad is the only thing you've ever watched or experienced in your life.

Classic timeless movies is the only thing we'll see referenced (as people the world over will get those references) - this has always been the case with the GTA franchise.

What they did say in the recent promos and interviews was something about taking cue from shows like Breaking Bad and the Wire in terms of a more in depth, layered writing style and larger cast etc. This is what we will see, that they have upped their game a bit in terms of storytelling, which is no bad thing.

- come to think of it, we may see a reference in terms of a breaking bad parody, advertised on the radio or in game tv, like they do with lots of contemporary tv shows, in that sense there may be a reference, Im more despairing of people who think because Michael has a family and Walt has a family therefore, Michael = Walt.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users