Breaking Bad & GTA V

182 replies to this topic
Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:14 AM

QUOTE (LibSity @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 01:04)
QUOTE (Ash_735 @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 19:53)
QUOTE (LibSity @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 17:01)
Same with Heat, f*cking great movie THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GTA V

...Are you serious? I mean, ...seriously? The whole truck heist we've been shown multiple times is a direct scene for scene for the one out of the start of Heat, you think that's just a coincidence?

Yes, Heat has nothing to do with V.

Don't agree with that, Heat was the reason we figured out the game would be about heists and a crew before the big game informer reveal.

Mike is damn near identical to Neil appearance wise and more importantly profession wise since both are professional bank theives.

Also
user posted image

GlitzyTomb
  • GlitzyTomb

Homie

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:02 AM

So what I'm taking from this is...

I need to go watch The Wire

MasterO
  • MasterO

Nanomachines son.

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE (GlitzyTomb @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 03:02)

Yes you do.

GlitzyTomb
  • GlitzyTomb

Homie

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:09 AM

Is The Wire the show with the big bald guy (character named Vic something) who played The Thing in Fantastic Four and the skinny sketchy guy with the funny hair who kinda looks like Trevor?

BumpyJohnson
  • BumpyJohnson

Original Gangsta

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:54 AM Edited by BumpyJohnson, 24 July 2013 - 05:57 AM.

All the BB hate is pretty damn stupid. The game isnt based on meth. Its based on heists so the outrage of not wanting GTA to be like BB is pointless. The show is really good and has won plenty of awards so the ppl saying it sucks like thats a fact sound like fools. If you're not into it then you're not into it. You have no business in this thread then. I mean we dont give a f*ck how much you hate a TV show so whats the point in telling us? What are you trying to accomplish? You dont like the topic then skip over it and read something else. You're not forced to read this so quit bitching about it being created.

Just about everything in GTA games are parodies of something else. Vice city was like scarface. San Andreas was like boyz in the hood, colors, dont be a menace or any other cali gang film. V will have references to heat, breaking bad, cali gang movies again and whatever else R* chooses so deal with it or dont get the game. Now it wont be heavily influenced by BB but you got to be a fool to think it wont have any references to the show. Especially with Trevors story. I dont understand how thats a problem tho. Alot of the missions they did in BB would be pretty damn fun to do in V. For example, when they robbed the train for the methlamine (dont know the spelling). They have trains in V and its very possible we will get to rob them one way or another. Another was when Walt killed Gus by planting that bomb on that cartel guys wheelchair and another was when they put that magnet in the moving truck and sneaked it in the police station to get to that labtop.

I can actually see similarities to BB tho. Walt is married with a son and daughter. So is Michael. Walt's wife is unhappy with their situation. So is Michael's wife. Walts wife cheats on him bcuz of it. So did Michael's wife. Walt has 2 other partners in their line of work (Jesse and Mike). So does Michael (Franklin and Trevor). Walt is the mastermind of the bunch bcuz he has the background of said work (chemistry). So is Michael (former bank robber). Walts relationship with his partners are similar to Michael's relationships with his partners. For example. Jesse is the younger of the 3, taken under Walts wing and can be considered the son he never had. Same can be said about Franklin. Mike is an ex cop, a killer and doesnt give a f*ck. Trevor is and ex marine, a killer and doesnt give a f*ck. I could go on but I think I made my point. BB haters need to f*ck off and find a thread they like instead of polluting the ones they dont like with their selfish rants.

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

We've already seen RV's and a meth lab, so maybe we'll see a combination of the two? There probably won't be anything big, but I bet we'll see something. Dan Houser said he doesn't watch shows like BB, but I'm sure people on his team do. A simple easter egg or two would make a lot of sense because of the nature of the game.

Insane Kane
  • Insane Kane

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

I don't know where this thread went since the last time I checked, but wow. If there was a reference in GTA from a show I didn't watch or like I think it would be great only because there are references from other shows in GTA of R* doing, which is quite good on their part. I wouldn't sit here and complain and bitch about it. It's not that big of a deal, it's just a reference. I sure in GTA IV people who liked Americas Next Top Model, like the reference to Americas Next Top Hooker, I don't watch ANTM, but thought what they did was cool and rather funny.

Mr. Darko
  • Mr. Darko

My lies are better.

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:32 AM

Watching that video, I noticed that the GTA V musical score is quite similar to the one in Heat as well.

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:45 AM

I don't get why people don't like breaking bad, It is a really good show (my favorite) and of course there will be some reference from Breaking Bad into GTA 5.

Mr. Darko
  • Mr. Darko

My lies are better.

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

QUOTE (dyz @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 06:45)
I don't get why people don't like breaking bad, It is a really good show (my favorite) and of course there will be some reference from Breaking Bad into GTA 5.

It's because just about everyone who watches it likes it, and people who don't want to fall into a bandwagon get annoyed at them constantly praising about it and talking about it. I'm not saying they're necessarily being hipsters, in fact I can sort of understand, because when things are really popular I start to think that it's likely it's just a dumb thing meant to appeal to a huge audience because people tend to be stupid (so basically I'm being a hipster, although I try to avoid that mainstream = lame mentality). I might change my mind if I actually watch it, but I'll probably approach it more critically than I would otherwise, so I might interpret some things as bad instead of artistic direction. So that's what many of these people do. And of course not everyone will like the subject matter and way the show is handled, but then I have to question why they like GTA.

Now I've watched the first two seasons or so and I really love the show, it's awesome. There's a possibility that I won't like the direction the show takes after that point, though. Opinions are opinions, after all.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

There should atleast be a reference or a mission title similar to one of the episodes.

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE (MasterO @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 03:02)

Yes you do.

The Wire is just as overrated as Breaking Bad. That show was awful, the writer SUCKED.

I know I'll get some replies to this saying "Oh hell naw, this nigga wow.gif HOW COULD U HATE DA WIRE!!!" I just didn't enjoy the plot. The concept was great, though. And it was well acted.

GTAVAu
  • GTAVAu

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

110%! Best TV show I've ever seen

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (BumpyJohnson @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 05:54)
All the BB hate is pretty damn stupid. The game isnt based on meth. Its based on heists so the outrage of not wanting GTA to be like BB is pointless. The show is really good and has won plenty of awards so the ppl saying it sucks like thats a fact sound like fools. If you're not into it then you're not into it. You have no business in this thread then. I mean we dont give a f*ck how much you hate a TV show so whats the point in telling us? What are you trying to accomplish? You dont like the topic then skip over it and read something else. You're not forced to read this so quit bitching about it being created.

Just about everything in GTA games are parodies of something else. Vice city was like scarface. San Andreas was like boyz in the hood, colors, dont be a menace or any other cali gang film. V will have references to heat, breaking bad, cali gang movies again and whatever else R* chooses so deal with it or dont get the game. Now it wont be heavily influenced by BB but you got to be a fool to think it wont have any references to the show. Especially with Trevors story. I dont understand how thats a problem tho. Alot of the missions they did in BB would be pretty damn fun to do in V. For example, when they robbed the train for the methlamine (dont know the spelling). They have trains in V and its very possible we will get to rob them one way or another. Another was when Walt killed Gus by planting that bomb on that cartel guys wheelchair and another was when they put that magnet in the moving truck and sneaked it in the police station to get to that labtop.

I can actually see similarities to BB tho. Walt is married with a son and daughter. So is Michael. Walt's wife is unhappy with their situation. So is Michael's wife. Walts wife cheats on him bcuz of it. So did Michael's wife. Walt has 2 other partners in their line of work (Jesse and Mike). So does Michael (Franklin and Trevor). Walt is the mastermind of the bunch bcuz he has the background of said work (chemistry). So is Michael (former bank robber). Walts relationship with his partners are similar to Michael's relationships with his partners. For example. Jesse is the younger of the 3, taken under Walts wing and can be considered the son he never had. Same can be said about Franklin. Mike is an ex cop, a killer and doesnt give a f*ck. Trevor is and ex marine, a killer and doesnt give a f*ck. I could go on but I think I made my point. BB haters need to f*ck off and find a thread they like instead of polluting the ones they dont like with their selfish rants.

user posted image

Everything I have ever wanted to say about this subject, this man has said it. Bravo, my good sir.

LibSity
  • LibSity

Genetically Superior

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

OK, I guess I can understand them having Heat references. But why do you guys not understand that there will be no BB references? DH says he refuses to watch those types of shows, it's not going to be in V. And that last paragraph is really stupid, those are a bunch of very common traits. Michael has a son and a daughter, so he's similar to Walter White? Both of their wives cheat on them, Both of them have 2 partners in their work? C'mon now.

GlitzyTomb
  • GlitzyTomb

Homie

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE (LibSity @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 16:49)
All the BB hate is pretty damn stupid.  The game isnt based on meth.  Its based on heists so the outrage of not wanting GTA to be like BB is pointless.  The show is really good and has won plenty of awards so the ppl saying it sucks like thats a fact sound like fools.  If you're not into it then you're not into it.  You have no business in this thread then.  I mean we dont give a f*ck how much you hate a TV show so whats the point in telling us?  What are you trying to accomplish?  You dont like the topic then skip over it and read something else.  You're not forced to read this so quit bitching about it being created. 

Just about everything in GTA games are parodies of something else. Vice city was like scarface.  San Andreas was like boyz in the hood,  colors,  dont be a menace or any other cali gang film.  V will have references to heat,  breaking bad,  cali gang movies again and whatever else R* chooses so deal with it or dont get the game. Now it wont be heavily influenced by BB but you got to be a fool to think it wont have any references to the show.  Especially with Trevors story.  I dont understand how thats a problem tho.  Alot of the missions they did in BB would be pretty damn fun to do in V.  For example,  when they robbed the train for the methlamine (dont know the spelling).  They have trains in V and its very possible we will get to rob them one way or another.  Another was when Walt killed Gus by planting that bomb on that cartel guys wheelchair and another was when they put that magnet in the moving truck and sneaked it in the police station to get to that labtop.

I can actually see similarities to BB tho.  Walt is married with a son and daughter.  So is Michael.  Walt's wife is unhappy with their situation.  So is Michael's wife.  Walts wife cheats on him bcuz of it.  So did Michael's wife.  Walt has 2 other partners in their line of work (Jesse and Mike).  So does Michael (Franklin and Trevor).  Walt is the mastermind of the bunch bcuz he has the background of said work (chemistry).  So is Michael (former bank robber).  Walts relationship with his partners are similar to Michael's relationships with his partners.  For example.  Jesse is the younger of the 3,  taken under Walts wing and can be considered the son he never had.  Same can be said about Franklin.  Mike is an ex cop,  a killer and doesnt give a f*ck.  Trevor is and ex marine,  a killer and doesnt give a f*ck.  I could go on but I think I made my point. BB haters need to f*ck off and find a thread they like instead of polluting the ones they dont like with their selfish rants.

OK, I guess I can understand them having Heat references. But why do you guys not understand that there will be no BB references? DH says he refuses to watch those types of shows, it's not going to be in V. And that last paragraph is really stupid, those are a bunch of very common traits. Michael has a son and a daughter, so he's similar to Walter White? Both of their wives cheat on them, Both of them have 2 partners in their work? C'mon now.

You're failing to realize that Dan Houser not watching something to preserve his artistic integrity does not mean that everyone else on the team will join him.

He's not putting this together himself, he's certainly not putting together every last bit of audio, advertisement, and random texturing together himself. He wasn't saying

"GTA will have no references to BB, The Wire, Oz, uhh... Burn Notice, CSI, etc. etc."

he was saying he doesn't watch those programs because he doesn't want to intentionally or unintentionally rip them off.

uShield
  • uShield

Ready To Defend

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (Vortexz0r @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 13:29)
QUOTE (Dr Zoidburg @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 05:22)
God I hate all these stupid breaking bad fanboys.

God I hate GTA Fanboys sly.gif

Then get out, lol.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:03 PM Edited by GTA-King, 24 July 2013 - 05:07 PM.

@LibSity: Just because DH says he doesn't watch the show doesn't mean the countless other writers at R* don't. Have you even watched the show? If not, then that would explain alot.

Also, I pity those who can't see the similarities between Michael/Franklin & Walter/Jesse. I really do. Both Walt & Michael consider Jesse & Franklin "the sons they never had." Hell, Walt even calls his real son "Jesse" by accident once. Walt & Jesse is such a odd couple, & I honestly believe R* was inspired by that. I mean... come on. An ex criminal mastermind, and reluctant gang banger teaming up? Odd couple written all over it. Their relationship is going to be just as golden as Walt & Jesse's. Not to mention they are all around the same age, & Michael is having a mid-life crisis just like Walt.

user posted image

http://www.vulture.c...rhood-dads.html

^ Good read.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

And? Because BB uses that fathership relation means that everything that uses it is taken from Breaking Bad? I mean, I've created stories with that kind of relation between some characters way before watching BB...

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (LibSity @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 17:49)

because at this point, even though DH, ONE PERSON ON THE TEAM, doesn't watch it, doesn't mean no one else does, Lazlow watches it and we even have confirmation from Anthony from O&A fame that he's doing something in GTA V which he hinted "Think Breaking Bad".

Jeez, how much of a suck up are you, do you think previous GTA titles never took anything from films and TV shows to?

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

The amount of Breaking Bad posts on this forum literally made me hate Breaking Bad even though I felt like watching it.

Stupid Breaking Bad.

Apollo_33
  • Apollo_33

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (GTAVAu @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 15:40)

110%! Best TV show I've ever seen

This.

It's more of an epic televised novel more than anything else. Also, unlike most of the TV shows out there, it portrays things (whether it's the functioning of gangs, police, politics, news, schools) as they really are. No sugar-coating, only pure reality, as the writers (David Simon and Ed Burns) have years of experience working in these departments. The first one is a journalist and the second one is a detective-turned-high-school-teacher. The dialogue between is realistic and doesn't feel like it's been written by somebody.

I'm a huge fan of BB, GoT, Sons of Anarchy, Dr. Who, Highlander, Deadwood and only maybe the latest come close to The Wire. It's that good.

The thing, though, is that it's not for everyone. If you want action, have a short-attention span and low vocabulary, it's better to stick with Dexter or Walking Dead. If you want something, really, really well written, thought out and not just a show that relies on unrealistic cliffhangers, cheap entertainment, watch The Wire.

LibSity
  • LibSity

Genetically Superior

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (Ash_735 @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 17:13)
QUOTE (LibSity @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 17:49)
OK, I guess I can understand them having Heat references. But why do you guys not understand that there will be no BB  references? DH says he refuses to watch those types of shows, it's not going to be in V. And that last paragraph is really stupid, those are a bunch of very common traits. Michael has a son and a daughter, so he's similar to Walter White? Both of their wives cheat on them, Both of them have 2 partners in their work? C'mon now.

because at this point, even though DH, ONE PERSON ON THE TEAM, doesn't watch it, doesn't mean no one else does, Lazlow watches it and we even have confirmation from Anthony from O&A fame that he's doing something in GTA V which he hinted "Think Breaking Bad".

Jeez, how much of a suck up are you, do you think previous GTA titles never took anything from films and TV shows to?

Do you know what a suck up is? All I said is that DH said he doesn't watch the shows, and I really don't feel like anything BB will be in the game. It's my favorite TV show ever, but people need to quit talking about it so much.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:22 PM Edited by GTA-King, 24 July 2013 - 05:24 PM.

QUOTE (RoadRunner71 @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 17:08)
And? Because BB uses that fathership relation means that everything that uses it is taken from Breaking Bad? I mean, I've created stories with that kind of relation between some characters way before watching BB...

Check it.

GTA IV was released in 2008. Breaking Bad started in 2008. Knowing it is such a hit show, R* could have used certain elements from it and added it to V. Like the relationship between Walt and Jesse. While Michael and Franklin are not complete carbon copies, they do have alot of similarities. For example:

-Michael is miserable, he wants to feel alive again. So he returns to crime. Walt is diagnosed with cancer, so he turns to crime in order to provide for his family. He feels alive for the very first time in his life.
-Franklin is being hold back by his friends... just like Jesse.
-Michael is a master at robbery, just as Walt is a master at chemistry.
-Jesse is Walt's apprentice, just as Franklin is Michael's.

There is alot more that I honestly don't feel like listing. The point I am trying to make is that R* was obviously inspired to some degree. Deny it all you want... you would just be a fool. I'm sorry, but it's the truth. If IV can borrow from The Sopranos, than why can't V borrow from Breaking Bad? Think!

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

@GTAKING Sorry but I still don't see how that kind of relationship leads directly to BB, it's a very common dynamic in stories to have an older man mentor a younger guy that shows signs of brilliance but is a little rough around the edges. Hell it's not like the father son dynamic hasn't already been done in GTA before, Tony and Luis shared a very similar relationship which Luis's friends even mock him for the amount of times he's mentioned that Tony is like the father he never had.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (Gregers08 @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 17:24)
@GTAKING Sorry but I still don't see how that kind of relationship leads directly to BB, it's a very common dynamic in stories to have an older man mentor a younger guy that shows signs of brilliance but is a little rough around the edges. Hell it's not like the father son dynamic hasn't already been done in GTA before, Tony and Luis shared a very similar relationship which Luis's friends even mock him for the amount of times he's mentioned that Tony is like the father he never had.

Have you watched Breaking Bad?

The answer to this question is very important.

LibSity
  • LibSity

Genetically Superior

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:26 PM Edited by LibSity, 24 July 2013 - 05:30 PM.

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 17:22)

Check it.

GTA IV was released in 2008. Breaking Bad started in 2008. Knowing it is such a hit show, R* could have used certain elements from it and added it to V. Like the relationship between Walt and Jesse. While Michael and Franklin are not complete carbon copies, they do have alot of similarities. For example:

-Michael is miserable, he wants to feel alive again. So he returns to crime. Walt is diagnosed with cancer, so he turns to crime in order to provide for his family. He feels alive for the very first time in his life.

There is alot more that I honestly don't feel like listing. The point I am trying to make is that R* was obviously inspired to some degree. Deny it all you want... you would just be a fool. I'm sorry, but it's the truth. If IV can borrow from The Sopranos, than why can't V borrow from Breaking Bad? Think!

suicidal.gif

The stupidity in this forum is unreal.

-Michael is miserable, he wants to feel alive again. So he returns to crime. Walt is diagnosed with cancer, so he turns to crime in order to provide for his family. He feels alive for the very first time in his life. The misery is brought on by two different things, that's a common emotion anyway
-Franklin is being hold back by his friends... just like Jesse. OK that is in every TV show ever
-Michael is a master at robbery, just as Walt is a master at chemistry. WTF how are these even related
-Jesse is Walt's apprentice, just as Franklin is Michael's. How do you know Franklin is Mike's apprentice? Have you played the game?

You are reaching so much

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (LibSity @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 17:26)
QUOTE (GTA-King @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 17:22)

Check it.

suicidal.gif

The stupidity in this forum is unreal.

How is anything I said considered stupid?

LibSity
  • LibSity

Genetically Superior

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

-Michael is miserable, he wants to feel alive again. So he returns to crime. Walt is diagnosed with cancer, so he turns to crime in order to provide for his family. He feels alive for the very first time in his life. The misery is brought on by two different things, that's a common emotion anyway
-Franklin is being hold back by his friends... just like Jesse. OK that is in every TV show ever
-Michael is a master at robbery, just as Walt is a master at chemistry. WTF how are these even related
-Jesse is Walt's apprentice, just as Franklin is Michael's. How do you know Franklin is Mike's apprentice? Have you played the game?

You are reaching so much

This ^

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (LibSity @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 17:31)

You are reaching so much

This ^

Both have family dynamics that contribute to the misery.

So? We are talking about Breaking Bad, here.

They are related because both are masters at their profession.

"The son I always wanted."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users