• darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 4 weeks ago

I just got out of the movie. Saw it in 3D, figuring that it would be a showcase for the format and wasn't disappointed. The visuals were nauseating in a good way.

I am disappointed in one aspect. The timeframe of the movie. Clearly the movie takes place sometime after phase one. We see Avengers Tower, not Stark Tower, in New York. My question is, why did SHIELD/Hydra know about Dr Strange in Winter Soldier? Sitwell name drops "Steven Strange" when he spills the beans on Hydra's plan to kill influential and dangerous (to Hydra) people. There is a two year period between Avengers where we see Stark Tower in ruins, before it's remodel, and Winter Soldier where we first see Avengers Tower after its remodel. We see Avengers Tower at the beginning of the movie before his accident. Is it possible that Dr Strange went from surgeon to master of the mystic arts in that very short period?

These are questions I'd never have in comics. I feel like I'd give comics more wiggle room for dumb stuff like this.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Mister Doctor

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by HaythamKenway, 4 weeks ago.

Apparently, the entire movie takes place in 2016. Early on in the movie, when we get a shot of Strange's awards and plaques, there are few that are reportedly dated from the current year. So, I would assume that the accident happened sometime early on, in the winter and the finale right now. I guess since some awards are given out a year ahead, maybe the earlier parts of the movie could take place in 2015 too, but that's more of a stretch.

I think the movie would have worked better if Strange was away for at least a couple of years too, not so much because of the training, but rather to give more time for the events to develop more naturally and give his return to New York more weight. As it is, he gets injured, makes basic reconvalescence for a couple of months, exhausts every single option modern Western medicine offers in a couple more, goes to Nepal and returns after he was away for what, six months? Kind of sudden, if you ask me.

The name drop in TWS was explained by someone from the production crew (actually by Feige himself, I think) that at the time Strange was still just a neurosurgeon and since he's pretty much MCU's Greg House, the algorithm deduced that he wouldn't be very obedient in Hydra's New World Order. Seems like reaching to me, but what do I know. Hydra was even more trigger-happy than I assumed.

UshaB
  • UshaB

"Pain is only temporary. Quitting lasts forever."

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 4 weeks ago

Doctor Strange t'is a good film. About the time period and such, I think I remember the Ancient One talking about how Kamar-Taj runs at a different speed than real-world time due to the knowledge from the Book of Cagliostro. So I assume the movie starts out really early in 2016, Strange gets injured, heals for a long period of time, goes out searching for Kamar-Taj in probably like 9 months in total and then starts his training. 

So possibly, Dr. Strange was training for much much longer as Kamar-Taj's time is slower than real-world time.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Apparently, the entire movie takes place in 2016. Early on in the movie, when we get a shot of Strange's awards and plaques, there are few that are reportedly dated from the current year. So, I would assume that the accident happened sometime early on, in the winter and the finale right now. I guess since some awards are given out a year ahead, maybe the earlier parts of the movie could take place in 2015 too, but that's more of a stretch.

I think the movie would have worked better if Strange was away for at least a couple of years too, not so much because of the training, but rather to give more time for the events to develop more naturally and give his return to New York more weight. As it is, he gets injured, makes basic reconvalescence for a couple of months, exhausts every single option modern Western medicine offers in a couple more, goes to Nepal and returns after he was away for what, six months? Kind of sudden, if you ask me.

The name drop in TWS was explained by someone from the production crew (actually by Feige himself, I think) that at the time Strange was still just a neurosurgeon and since he's pretty much MCU's Greg House, the algorithm deduced that he wouldn't be very obedient in Hydra's New World Order. Seems like reaching to me, but what do I know. Hydra was even more trigger-happy than I assumed.

To me, they realized they f*cked up. And made a bad excuse.

Why would Zola's algorithm identify Strange as a threat at that time? He seems like he'd sell out to Hydra for the right price before he becomes a sorcerer. What threat could he have been? Did Zola's algorithm some how predict a car crash, a very specific injury, AND that Strange would find himself as the new sorcerer supreme all within a couple years?

On top of that, why would Strange's name stick out in Sitwell's mind? He says Tony Stark, a world famous billionaire, Iron Man, and friend to Cap. Then he says Strange? Even the best neurosurgeon in the world is not exactly a household name.

They f*cked up. The movie should've started in 2008 to make some nice symmetry with Iron Man, he finds himself in Kamar-taj around 2012, he saves the world in the spring of 2013, he pops up on SHIELD/Hydra's radar as a socerer, not a doctor, and in 2016/17 the post credits scene happens with a certain Avenger. (PS the only moment in the movie where Strange wears his gloves.)

Anyway, timelines aside, I love how they set up Doctor Strange 2's villain...

Spoiler

I very much look forward to a great villain being crafted here.
  • HaythamKenway likes this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 4 weeks ago

Maybe it was just an Easter egg. Unlikely, but we can treat is as such.

UshaB
  • UshaB

"Pain is only temporary. Quitting lasts forever."

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 4 weeks ago

I feel like they've f*cked up with the awards and certifications of it being 2016. To me it makes more sense that it starts shorty after the Avengers 2012 and ends before The Winter Soldier 2014 (except the scene with Thor). 

That gives it a 2 year gap for:

• Tony Stark to change the tower to the, "Avengers"
  • Stephen Strange to be name dropped in TWS.
  • The Avengers to be name dropped in Dr. Strange.
  • A period of time for Strange to spend all  his money away to find some medicine for healing.
  • A period of time to be considered missing by Palmer and I suppose New York
  • A time for training. Though he could be a prodigy, like Stark, in addition with his photographic memory as Strange did get 2 degrees at once.

I just feel like they've got the dates for the awards wrong.

Nevertheless I can't wait for the banter between Doctor Strange and Tony Stark.

• darthYENIK and HaythamKenway like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Mister Doctor

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 4 weeks ago

To me, they realized they f*cked up. And made a bad excuse.

Why would Zola's algorithm identify Strange as a threat at that time? He seems like he'd sell out to Hydra for the right price before he becomes a sorcerer. What threat could he have been? Did Zola's algorithm some how predict a car crash, a very specific injury, AND that Strange would find himself as the new sorcerer supreme all within a couple years?

On top of that, why would Strange's name stick out in Sitwell's mind? He says Tony Stark, a world famous billionaire, Iron Man, and friend to Cap. Then he says Strange? Even the best neurosurgeon in the world is not exactly a household name.

They f*cked up. The movie should've started in 2008 to make some nice symmetry with Iron Man, he finds himself in Kamar-taj around 2012, he saves the world in the spring of 2013, he pops up on SHIELD/Hydra's radar as a socerer, not a doctor, and in 2016/17 the post credits scene happens with a certain Avenger. (PS the only moment in the movie where Strange wears his gloves.)

True, completely agree.

And even if the algorithm did profile Strange on the basis of him being a world-class neurosurgeon alone - I rewatched TWS yesterday to refresh my memory on HYDRA'S EVIL PLAN, and while the body count does reach pretty insane numbers (Sitwell mentions millions worldwide and the ending shows cca 750 000 targeted on the East Coast alone), there isn't much indication in the dialogue that the parameters are so absurdly wide. 750 000 on the East Coast might seem high, but - that's New York. Washington. Boston. Philadelphia. And so on. Economic, academic, cultural, military and political hotspots of not just the nation, but in the case of the first two mentioned, of the whole world. It makes kind of sense that would Zola would pick up a whole lot of potential threats there.

But there's still no reason for Hydra to dig as deep as it's implied now and murder even impartial "civilians". And like you said, Strange pre-Kamar-taj, definitely wasn't a hero material. I can't imagine him commiting to and rising up in some desperate underground movement. He was all about picking his fights and making sure he's always on top of things. And yeah, I could definitely see him joining them too. If it meant that he'd be able to do his job as before the takeover and perhaps get even more benefits out of it, then why wouldn't he? If Hydra wanted to kill even guys like Strange, then hell, they should have planned to murder half the world's population.

Anyway, timelines aside, I love how they set up Doctor Strange 2's villain...

Spoiler

I very much look forward to a great villain being crafted here.

Spoiler

I really liked that the movie isn't exactly flattering to its heroes too. Strange, Mordo and TOA are all people with strong flaws and skeletons in their closets and the movie doesn't shy away from that or go all the way to manipulate the viewer into liking them.

Just to illustrate my point on Strange, on the surface level, he's loosely cut of the same cloth as Tony Stark, the "wisecracking genius" archetype, but while Stark was always more on the charming side, Strange is more of just a plain asshole. Stark was smug and used to have his head in a different plane of existence than everyone around him, but despite that, his heart was always in the right place. He is the playboy, the centre of attention, the guy who everyone wants to be like. He distances from people on a personal level and acted without regard for conseqences, but there isn't really an ill intent in his treatment of others.

Strange is just pure ego. He treats people around him like sh*t, thinks he's a hot shot, is ambitious and greedy for recognition. Obsessed with achievements. Wants to be put on a pedestal. He doesn't care if you like him or not - he just wants your respect. He wants to make sure everyone knows he's the biggest brain in the room and he's always "right". Like, he's someone who wants to be Tony Stark, but it doesn't come to him naturally - he's too much of a self-absorbed "superior" prick. Stark's character arc in the first movie was about learning the repercussions of his actions and pulling his head out of the hole. Strange's is about humility, understanding and accepting that he's not a centre of the universe and moving beyond this base self-seeking greed and egotism.

Zondar
  • Zondar

Puttin' on an iron shirt.......

• Members
  • Ghana

Posted 4 weeks ago

Firstly , loved the film. At last a film really worth seeing in IMAX 3D. The visuals were incredible, like nothing I've ever seen on the big screen.

I could def buy pre_Kamar-taj  Strange being a threat to Hydra. He may not be the armed resistance type, but he's the kind of guy who takes his professional standing and Hippocratic oath very seriously.  I would imagine that if Hydra came calling and asked him to do carry out  unethical research or procedures, he wouldn't be averse to telling them to f*ck off. He would stand out to them for this alone.

Spoiler

Professor SmackaDabbah
  • Professor SmackaDabbah

Dananananananana she really loves to break

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 days ago Edited by Professor SmackaDabbah, 3 days ago.

Apparently, the entire movie takes place in 2016.

Sorry for the late response, but wasn't the lower spinal injury case sent to Strange implied to be the guy who got twisted in half in the Hammertech Iron Man knock off, in the Senate scene from Iron Man 2?

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Mister Doctor

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 3 days ago

Sorry for the late response, but wasn't the lower spinal injury case sent to Strange implied to be the guy who got twisted in half in the Hammertech Iron Man knock off, in the Senate scene from Iron Man 2?

That's what I thought too. Eh, I guess the case could get into Strange's hands five years after the fact, going through other channels in the meantime.

• Professor SmackaDabbah likes this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago

The rumors are that it was a reference to Rhodey.

Zoobz
  • Zoobz

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 2 days ago

Baby Groot is the best. 

• Girish, HaythamKenway and Vik like this

Reverse Flash
  • Reverse Flash

"Oh, I'm not like the Flash at all."

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 2 days ago

The rumors are that it was a reference to Rhodey.

But we actually never got to see it happen. Rhodey never got severely injured till Civil War. I guess they are yet to wrap up some of the plot defects.

Anyways, Doctor Strange was really good. I liked everything they had to offer in the movie. Cumberbach was the perfect choice IMO. I'm still confused about the whole deal with Infinity Stones. I guess Thor: Ragnarok will clear it up before we see more updates on Infinity Wars.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Mister Doctor

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 2 days ago

I love how they've turned Ragnarok into Avengers 2.75.

Spoiler

If you told me two years ago that I'd be looking forward to the third Thor movie more than to heavy-hitters like GotG 2 and the first solo MCU Spider-Man movie, I wouldn't believe you. Yet, here we are.

Reverse Flash
  • Reverse Flash

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted A day ago

Spoiler

If you told me two years ago that I'd be looking forward to the third Thor movie more than to heavy-hitters like GotG 2 and the first solo MCU Spider-Man movie, I wouldn't believe you. Yet, here we are.

Doctor Strange basically sets up the events of the Ragnorak. And the movie is about finding Odin so yeah Cumberbach is sure to make a Cameo atleast. I was never really a fan of Thor movies. I used to hate the whole concept about Gods among us in MCU but kinda got used to it. MCU seems to be storming with movie ideas so far.

Speaking of Doctor Strange, does anyone here believe that Mordo will be next antagonist since he's seeking to eliminate the "too many sorcerers" in this world?

Dbzk1999
  • Dbzk1999

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 hours ago

Spoiler

Doctor Strange basically sets up the events of the Ragnorak. And the movie is about finding Odin so yeah Cumberbach is sure to make a Cameo atleast. I was never really a fan of Thor movies. I used to hate the whole concept about Gods among us in MCU but kinda got used to it. MCU seems to be storming with movie ideas so far.

Speaking of Doctor Strange, does anyone here believe that Mordo will be next antagonist since he's seeking to eliminate the "too many sorcerers" in this world?
Considering Mordo is normally strange's archenemy, most likely

Reverse Flash
  • Reverse Flash

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 19 hours ago

Spoiler

Considering Mordo is normally strange's archenemy, most likely

Considering that Mordo was Strange's Mentor in the first part, it'd require some real reason for Mordo to be pissed at Strange. Since a sequel hasn't been in the talks, I'm sure that'll be a story post Avengers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users