Quantcast

» «
Photo

DC Cinematic Universe (Batman, Supes, Aquaman, and more)

2,168 replies to this topic
Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 3 weeks ago

I still want to see a film noir movie starring The Question. Such a great character, but one that never gets any love.

• HaythamKenway and MisFit-138 like this

MisFit-138
  • MisFit-138

Prankster

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I still want to see a film noir movie starring The Question. Such a great character, but one that never gets any love.

Would love that. Vic Sage though, not Montoya

MisFit-138
  • MisFit-138

Prankster

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by MisFit-138, 3 weeks ago.

Sounds like they've got the right idea with this Batfleck Trilogy (if it gets there) although I really do hope the rumours I've read regarding the removal of Deathstroke and a rewrite of the script to be true. If they're going with a new trilogy, we could do with having something different; we've had Joker & Two Face enough already, when we've yet to see the likes of Deathstroke.

I wish they'd pick some more unique villains for Batman to deal with when he isn't accompanied by the rest of the league (though at the same time, said villains need to be Gotham centric, as to not require the league to step in).

Na, the Atlantians (or poseidians) in DC Comics are humans who adapted to the sea after "the great flood" via a scientifically developed serum. So they're basically humans. Aquaman is the son of a human lighthouse keeper and the queen of Atlantis.

It does ponder the question, doesn't it? If the whole world is under threat, why is only a single Atlantian assisting Batman's team when you've essentially got an entire city of superhumans below the ocean surface. It's the same argument as to why Asgardians didn't descend to Earth to help them fight when the Chitauri invaded via Loki.

I am curious also to know when Barry gets his powers; presumably it's after the events of Man of Steel, otherwise you could potentially pose the question as to why he wasn't there helping.. Same with Diana come to that (although I suppose in her case, she'd have to actually get there, whereas Barry could have done that ... in a flash).
He could be in a stage of his growth where Atlantis hasn't accepted him or his radical views (humans are ok and dont deserve to die) yet and are actually hoping the humans get destroyed, or at the very least are unwilling to help the humans and will deal with Steppenwolf when they have to. I think why another character didnt show up to help when a Doomsday event happens..idk, seems almost searching too hard to find a problem, imo. I just assumed they weren't near a tv during MoS or BvS, looked at the situation and concluded they couldnt really help, busy fighting their own problems, ect. Fact is, they are irrelevant to tge story being told and you only have around 2 hours to tell these stories, people just showing up can feel pretty forced. Plus, its a deep rabbit hole. If they have to explain why Flash or Aquaman arent there, or if they show up, what about Vandal Savage? He just doesnt exist in DCEU because hes not in justice league? Ra's Al Ghul? Ted Cord? Oliver Queen? He wouldn't want the Earth destroyed, where's he? Gorilla Grodd's just chilling, waiting the inevitable? I personally want to believe there's a detective John Jones walking around hiding in plain sight too, but if he shows up later down the series im not not gonna be upset that he wasnt present and accounted for in all the previous films. Its just not good story telling. Maybe they could have written it differently, in a way that all these characters do show up, but then the casual movie watcher is like "who do f are these guys and why do i care?"

Flash525
  • Flash525

Fibre Force Team Leader

• Members
  • England

Posted 3 weeks ago

He could be in a stage of his growth where Atlantis hasn't accepted him or his radical views (humans are ok and dont deserve to die) yet and are actually hoping the humans get destroyed, or at the very least are unwilling to help the humans and will deal with Steppenwolf when they have to. I think why another character didnt show up to help when a Doomsday event happens..idk, seems almost searching too hard to find a problem, imo. I just assumed they weren't near a tv during MoS or BvS, looked at the situation and concluded they couldnt really help, busy fighting their own problems, ect. Fact is, they are irrelevant to tge story being told and you only have around 2 hours to tell these stories, people just showing up can feel pretty forced. Plus, its a deep rabbit hole. If they have to explain why Flash or Aquaman arent there, or if they show up, what about Vandal Savage? He just doesnt exist in DCEU because hes not in justice league? Ra's Al Ghul? Ted Cord? Oliver Queen? He wouldn't want the Earth destroyed, where's he? Gorilla Grodd's just chilling, waiting the inevitable? I personally want to believe there's a detective John Jones walking around hiding in plain sight too, but if he shows up later down the series im not not gonna be upset that he wasnt present and accounted for in all the previous films. Its just not good story telling. Maybe they could have written it differently, in a way that all these characters do show up, but then the casual movie watcher is like "who do f are these guys and why do i care?"

It really does depend on the character though, doesn't it? In both MoS & Suicide Squad, the entire planet was under threat. Aquaman may not have been watching the news, but I'd be amazed to think Barry wasn't; that said, his line in Justice League about not being a fighter could explain his absence; what with him not knowing what to do in either circumstance.

It a threat was specific to a city (re Doomsday) then I'd be okay with it, because it's not a global pandemic. The events of Suicide Squad were, I guess, kept low-key, so it's possible that Aquaman & Diana simply didn't know about it until nearer the end by which time the squad had dealt with the problem. Both Arthur & Diana should have been aware of Zod though, in addition to other heroes and villains.

If Manhunter, Hawkgirl, Black Adam (etc) all exist within the DCEU, why is it that (before Superman) Bruce & Alfred had never once known about anyone with powers? Surely metahumans existed in the past? Black Adam and the Hawks have (seemingly) been around for centuries.

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 3 weeks ago

What? how can you keep Suicide Squad low key?

The whole premise of that movie was stupid. You send actual superheroes to cataclysmic events the squad are meant for smaller happenings. and smaller scale missions.

Flash525
  • Flash525

Fibre Force Team Leader

• Members
  • England

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Flash525, 3 weeks ago.

What? How can you keep Suicide Squad low key?

The whole premise of that movie was stupid. You send actual superheroes to cataclysmic events the squad are meant for smaller happenings. and smaller scale missions.

Sorry, that's not quite what I meant. Amanda (and the government) knew something was going on in the subway, and they suspected supernatural, then Amanda sent in the Enchantress who bolted, so she got the rest of the team together and sent them in (they were always her contingency plan). No doubt the events of what happened have become public knowledge now, but at the time, the likes of Bruce, Diana, Barry (etc) wouldn't have known about whilst it was going on - at least not in enough time to act and react.

Batman isn't quite a Superhero, and it's unlikely that many (if any) people know the true identity of Barry, Arthur & Diana, even if they did, I doubt they'd be a phone call away. The only hero they seemingly relied on was Superman, but as stated in the opener, he's dead.

• Leftist Bastard likes this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 3 weeks ago

What? how can you keep Suicide Squad low key?

They gave a pretty decent excuse, which was that Superman was dead. At that point Supes was the only one who fought crime within the law. Batman is a vigilante, Flash is a vigilante, Wonder Woman is in France apparently, Aquaman and Cyborg are not considered because who knows with Cyborg, and Aquaman is not so much a hero as a myth.

But, that "okay excuse" doesn't really matter because they threw Suicide Squad out there too early. The great thing about Suicide Squad in the comics, is that it's a group of already established villains. They aren't a group who is introduced in Suicide Squad, they are all arrested and captured by the heroes, and that's when we meet them.

Also, the movie made them heroes. Not anti-heroes. They do very little things that make them villains. Deadshot kills a criminal, which is not all bad. It's a loophole. They should've shown him killing a dignitary or someone who 100% doesn't deserve it. And that's how it is with all of them, pretty much. They aren't really bad, just kind of bad.

And that's why they needed to hold off on Suicide Squad, until they could introduce each character in the heroes' movies. Where we can see them really be bad guys.
  • HaythamKenway and Leftist Bastard like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Journey_95, 3 weeks ago.

So WB is honestly planning to campaign for WW getting a oscar nomination, lol. It was a generic but overall entertaining movie, no way it deserves best picture or director.

Seems like they will ride the whole "female director and lead" bs pretty hard. 

http://variety.com/2...ook-1202509132/

• iBUCKEYE and MisFit-138 like this

Spectacus
  • Spectacus

SHEIRA!!!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

So WB is honestly planning to campaign for WW getting a oscar nomination, lol. It was a generic but overall entertaining movie, no way it deserves best picture or director.

Seems like they will ride the whole "female director and lead" bs pretty hard. 

http://variety.com/2...ook-1202509132/

Nah man, they're just overhyping Wonder Woman now. The only reason everyone's all whipped over it because It wasn't as bad as everyone thought.it would be.

It was decent, but even then - the third act kinda degraded. It was pretty generic.

Still though, I enjoyed it - but an Oscar?

Nah.

• iBUCKEYE likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users