Quantcast

» «
Photo

DC Cinematic Universe (Batman, Supes, Aquaman, and more)

2,168 replies to this topic
UshaB
  • UshaB

Nacho Libre - "I wanna weeeeeen!"

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:10 AM Edited by UshaB, 06 July 2017 - 04:12 AM.

I'm starting to like this Matt Reeves guy;

“It’s my hope to tell a very emotional Batman story, and I do see a very strong parallel between [Batman and Caesar] because they’re both damaged characters who are grappling to the do the right thing in a very imperfect world. A world that’s filled with all of the corruption that is human.”

“What I love that [Nolan] did was that he took the genre seriously,” Reeves said. “What studios are willing to make at the moment is a very, very narrow band of films. What I discovered is that this genre has the potential to be about something more. You can use the metaphors of the genre to talk about [a lot]."

“I think that the metaphors of both of the franchises [Batman and Apes] enable you to tell stories that have deep emotional resonance. That’s actually what excites me about it. It’s interesting because I was obsessed with both as a child, and yet there is something potentially very adult about what you can explore under the cover of that fantasy. That is what draws me to it, and that’s what I’m excited about.”

“I think the other thing that I really admire in what [Nolan] did was knowing what it is to make a big studio film, which often can fall into that sense of committee filmmaking where there’s an anonymity to the point of view of the film."

When talking about a possible Batfleck Trilogy:

“I have ideas about an arc, but really, the important thing is just to start… you have to start with one,” he said. “You know, you have to start with a story that begins something.”

“And when Mark and I began [Dawn of the Planet of the Apes], we knew what our goals were, but we didn’t know how we were gonna get there, and I would say that that more relates to the way that I see a Batman story, is a kind of ambition for a series of stories, but really the most important thing is gonna be to tell a vital first story.”

• Payne Killer and Neon_Dreaming like this

Flash525
  • Flash525

Fibre Force Team Leader

• Members
  • England

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:32 PM Edited by Flash525, 07 July 2017 - 12:35 PM.

Sounds like they've got the right idea with this Batfleck Trilogy (if it gets there) although I really do hope the rumours I've read regarding the removal of Deathstroke and a rewrite of the script to be true. If they're going with a new trilogy, we could do with having something different; we've had Joker & Two Face enough already, when we've yet to see the likes of Deathstroke.

I wish they'd pick some more unique villains for Batman to deal with when he isn't accompanied by the rest of the league (though at the same time, said villains need to be Gotham centric, as to not require the league to step in).

Na, the Atlantians (or poseidians) in DC Comics are humans who adapted to the sea after "the great flood" via a scientifically developed serum. So they're basically humans. Aquaman is the son of a human lighthouse keeper and the queen of Atlantis.

It does ponder the question, doesn't it? If the whole world is under threat, why is only a single Atlantian assisting Batman's team when you've essentially got an entire city of superhumans below the ocean surface. It's the same argument as to why Asgardians didn't descend to Earth to help them fight when the Chitauri invaded via Loki.

I am curious also to know when Barry gets his powers; presumably it's after the events of Man of Steel, otherwise you could potentially pose the question as to why he wasn't there helping.. Same with Diana come to that (although I suppose in her case, she'd have to actually get there, whereas Barry could have done that ... in a flash).

UshaB
  • UshaB

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

1. If they're going with a new trilogy, we could do with having something different; we've had Joker & Two Face enough already, when we've yet to see the likes of Deathstroke.
  2. It does ponder the question, doesn't it? If the whole world is under threat, why is only a single Atlantian assisting Batman's team when you've essentially got an entire city of superhumans below the ocean surface.

1. I want them to do Hush, or use the Riddler or even Clayface. Knowing that the first film will be a detective, mystery one I'm hoping one of these 3 villains would be the main bad guy. Also am hoping that Deathstroke is pushed to the Nightwing movie, because that makes more sense in a way.
  2. If I've heard correctly;
    Spoiler

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:19 PM Edited by HaythamKenway, 22 July 2017 - 08:22 PM.

RED SKIES

From the other news, the Flash movie is now confirmed to be an adaptation of Flashpoint. I think we should take the word "adaptation" with a grain of salt, similarly to how loosely Marvel translates their stories. Well, at least I personally hope we're not getting a hard reboot. No word of Man of Steel 2 yet, which is a bit disappointing as well. But since DCEU's pipeline is more fluid than Marvel's, I wish we'll get an announcement next year.

• TheFoxRiverFugitive, UshaB and Kaniel Outis like this

Spectacus
  • Spectacus

SHEIRA!!!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:54 PM

Hope they use that Flashpoint Adaptation to do a soft reboot. That'd be nice.

• The Deadite likes this

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:37 AM

It would not surprise me at all if they use Flashpoint to readjust the DCEU continuity to their liking, particularly with the uncertainty regarding Affleck sticking around as Batman. I can totally see them deaging Bruce using Flashpoint and replacing him with a younger actor.

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:12 AM

^ Technically Thomas Wayne is supposed to be the Batman in Flashpoint, not Bruce.

And on-topic of the Justice League trailer, there's no Superman (so far) sadly. Is that Clark to whom Alfred is seen talking towards the end?

UshaB
  • UshaB

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:06 AM

Is that Clark to whom Alfred is seen talking towards the end?

Looks like it, or could be Martian Manhunter or Deathstroke but most likely it'll be Supes.

Trailer is nice. I'm still not a fan of the visuals but I'm pretty sure they'll polish it up. It's good seeing Bruce's martial art flair on the Parademon.

TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Sly Fox

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:14 AM Edited by TheFoxRiverFugitive, 23 July 2017 - 04:15 AM.

The new trailer blows both of the previous ones out of the water. I'm considerably more hyped for Justice League now than I was yesterday. With the final BvS DoJ trailer, I was a bit more skeptical about the quality of the film, but I'm not getting that sense this time.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:14 AM

Looks solid but typical DC rushing this cinematic Universe. Making Flashpoint the first Flash movie is stupid

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:28 AM

Looks solid but typical DC rushing this cinematic Universe. Making Flashpoint the first Flash movie is stupid

Agreed. I think an Origins movie would have been a lot better, just like the TV Series. But they preferred to copy the Flashpoint instead. Stupid choice. There are tons of other comics that could be made into movies.

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:43 AM Edited by Jason, 23 July 2017 - 02:01 PM.

^ Technically Thomas Wayne is supposed to be the Batman in Flashpoint, not Bruce.

And on-topic of the Justice League trailer, there's no Superman (so far) sadly. Is that Clark to whom Alfred is seen talking towards the end?

I know, that's not what I meant. Flashpoint can be a way to readjust the DCEU continuity for the "now", if they want to. Clean up any thing they don't like left over from MoS or BvS and use it to de-age Bruce, if they'd want to do all that in a solo film is another question entirely but it is a potential way to do it. They put them self into a corner with an older Bruce and actor, he'll be pushing 50 around the time The Batman is out.

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:37 PM

If the rumors about Affleck leaving the role behind is true it's VERY obvious what the purpose of Flashpoint is.

Zoobz
  • Zoobz

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Best Llama 2016
    GTAF Snap Battle Season 2 Winner

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:11 PM

Diggin' this.

6ZjEBRl.png

Spoiler
  • HaythamKenway, AlienTwo and Kaniel Outis like this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:52 PM

^^Inspired by Alex Ross'.

God I hope they start calling characters by their names. "the Superman", "the Gotham Bat", occasionally "the Batman", and has the name Wonder Woman been spoken in two films yet? This is a problem with this DC movie universe so far. They're scared to embrace the little things about these characters, for fear of being silly. Hopefully this is not something that lasts.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:12 PM Edited by HaythamKenway, 23 July 2017 - 05:40 PM.

Snyder, with his "gods and monsters" obsession, certainly. He always strives to elevate these characters into something more elevated, something inhuman (pun not intended). But Jenkins came out, I think, with the most soulful, self-confident, classic depiction of an archetypal superhero since The First Avenger.

Like, I love how Marvel throws all these colorful, imaginative, crazy characters and stories at the big screen. I love that they made Doctor Strange into a popular A-lister played by Benedict f*cking Cumberbatch. I love how wild Ragnarok looks, seamlessly melding Kirby art with metal aesthetics, pulling inspiration from Simonson's Thor and Planet Hulk, just throwing Thor and Hulk on a roaring space adventure without batting an eyelash. I love that Tony Stark standing side by side with weird alien with an antennae, facing a purple evil overlord, is something that's considered completely normal now.

But all that came at a cost. To make these movies and these insane ideas and concepts acceptable to people who consider comic books childish and stupid, they consistently dull the edges. With irreverent, self-deprecating tone, brushing aside the drama for blunt, empty theatrics. It's like "Hey, here's a weird android and a guy who shrinks and communicates with ants, but don't worry, we know it's dumb". Sometimes it feels like Marvel uses the accumulated pool of comic book imagination, but backs down just short of translating the, and I'm sorry for using that tired term, heart of these stories. There's a certain lack of honesty and dedication to transferring the more difficult-to-stomach traits of comic book storytelling.

Wonder Woman may not have been called by name in her own movie, but it wasn't afraid to follow through with adapting the certain playful frank charm of comic books to its fullest extent. It was cheesy, but it didn't shy away from that. It didn't try to undercut it. It didn't try to subvert its source material or spin it in such a way to make it more palatable to people who'd think that a concept of an Amazonian warrior princess fighting for love and understanding in the trenches of the Great War is something stupid. It was a pure comic book and it expected the audience to take it completely seriously.

I'm not saying the Marvel method is wrong or unacceptable. I'm extremely hyped for Ragnarok, always have been right from the very start, when the first details about the movie emerged and Waititi was announced as the director - and yet that movie too, seems to embody what I'm criticising here. I'm still incredibly grateful and happy that we've gotten as far that a movie like it can be sold as a big tentpole, when the first couple had to stay extremely grounded in fears that the audience wouldn't accept anything bolder and more creative. I can't ask for anything more and I'm happy with taking what I'm given. Who could have expected that the comic book movie boom would take us to a place like this? And we need our Spider-Man Homecomings alongside Logans and Wonder Women. The more variety, the better, the longer the genre remains relevant.

What I just want to say is that there's more to being faithful to comic books, more to showing that you are unashamed of your roots, than just the iconography. The spirit matters as well. And that spirit can be conveyed in many forms - just to use an example, the subtle celebration of the power of comic books and heroes to inspire in Logan, an otherwise dour breakdown and reassesment of the character of Wolverine. And the creators at DC have already demonstrated that they can get the spirit of these characters right, if they want.

Even BvS ended with the "Men are still good" speech, which was a quintessential Superman moment.

• Kaniel Outis likes this

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:26 AM Edited by Kaniel Outis, 24 July 2017 - 02:26 AM.

Diggin' this.

Spoiler

^^ I remember seeing that poster everywhere on Instagram while Comic Con was in progress. I was, "it's f*cking awesome" how DC's putting so much effort into the movie.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:28 AM

I don't want Affleck to leave it's a bit too late now and we hardly know much about his version of Batman.

Flash525
  • Flash525

Fibre Force Team Leader

• Members
  • England

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:29 AM Edited by Flash525, 24 July 2017 - 05:32 AM.

RED SKIES

From the other news, the Flash movie is now confirmed to be an adaptation of Flashpoint. I think we should take the word "adaptation" with a grain of salt, similarly to how loosely Marvel translates their stories. Well, at least I personally hope we're not getting a hard reboot. No word of Man of Steel 2 yet, which is a bit disappointing as well. But since DCEU's pipeline is more fluid than Marvel's, I wish we'll get an announcement next year.

I would agree that Flashpoint is a bit of a surprise; didn't think we'd see that this soon, though I guess we can understand why. I do agree though in that it'll be an adaption, rather than a likeness, simply because, if I'm correct, the Flashpoint comic has the Atlantians and Amazonians at war with each other, and I doubt very much that we'd see that in a feature film; not if the focus is intended to be toward Thomas Wayne, Barry Allen & Eobard Thawne(?)

Man of Steel 2 is probably being put on the back burner for the minute, simply because they don't know what they want to do with it. I've heard two reports, the first was having Black Adam as the villain, but this was between them figuring out what they wanted to do with the Shazam character. The other rumour was the introduction of Brainiac and Supergirl, which conveniently came after the release of Injustice 2, so I'm wondering whether that's pure fan speculation based on the game storyline.

With any luck, Flashpoint will erase Cyborg from the lineup, and replace him with Manhunter or Hawkgirl; the JL could do with another female character to be honest.

It would not surprise me at all if they use Flashpoint to readjust the DCEU continuity to their liking, particularly with the uncertainty regarding Affleck sticking around as Batman. I can totally see them deaging Bruce using Flashpoint and replacing him with a younger actor.

Affleck stated in CC that he wasn't going anywhere, so the rumours of him leaving were nothing more than rumours. We've had plentiful Batman over the years, we don't really need more younger Batman stories, especially with the introduction of Batgirl and Nightwing (two characters with upcoming projects attached to them); those two characters likely wouldn't exist without an older Batman, so if they recast Affleck for someone younger, you can rule our Batgirl & Nightwing.

If they want to replace Batman, they'll just have to have Bruce retire, and someone else take over; Dick Grayson or Terry McGinnis?

Looks like it, or could be Martian Manhunter or Deathstroke but most likely it'll be Supes.

Heh, honestly I don't think it's either. I know that scene was put in the trailer to tease us, but honestly, I think Alfred is simply talking to Aquaman. We know that (of the team) he's less than bothered by Bruce and his team and is reluctant to join him. It's seemingly only after the attack on Atlantis that he changes his mind, and it's quite likely that Bruce figured out he'd come around with time; exactly what Alfred says "he said you'd come".

Within this universe, Bruce has no knowledge of the Lanterns, so it isn't going to be one of them, and (unless there was a massive conspiracy between Bruce & Clark) he (Bruce) wouldn't know about Superman returning, let alone Alfred.

Speaking of the Lanterns too, an interesting fan theory I read is that the Lantern that turns up in JL is actually Abin Sur; who comes to stop (and is wounded by) Steppenwolf, ultimately leading to a new Lantern in JL Part 2.

UshaB
  • UshaB

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:58 AM

Within this universe, Bruce has no knowledge of the Lanterns, so it isn't going to be one of them, and (unless there was a massive conspiracy between Bruce & Clark) he (Bruce) wouldn't know about Superman returning, let alone Alfred.

There's a bit of red cape flowing in the bottom right corner and Alfred looks at whoever's chest when he says, "Let's Hope..." so I assume Supes. Also I believe that scene where Bruce is looking at a Supes' hologram will be about Bruce understanding Kryptonian physiology and after a lot of research will realise that Supe's will regenerate and is expecting Clark to wake up at some point, hence, "He said you'd come." But that's all just guessing from my view.

Flash525
  • Flash525

Fibre Force Team Leader

• Members
  • England

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:51 AM

There's a bit of red cape flowing in the bottom right corner and Alfred looks at whoever's chest when he says, "Let's Hope..." so I assume Supes. Also I believe that scene where Bruce is looking at a Supes' hologram will be about Bruce understanding Kryptonian physiology and after a lot of research will realise that Supe's will regenerate and is expecting Clark to wake up at some point, hence, "He said you'd come." But that's all just guessing from my view.

It's a fair theory, but if our understanding of Kryptonian physiology is correct, then Superman needs sunlight, which he isn't going to get six feet under. We saw how the sunlight worked when he was dead in space. Furthermore, if Superman can return simply with time, wouldn't that be the same for Doomsday?

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:47 AM

It's a fair theory, but if our understanding of Kryptonian physiology is correct, then Superman needs sunlight, which he isn't going to get six feet under. We saw how the sunlight worked when he was dead in space. Furthermore, if Superman can return simply with time, wouldn't that be the same for Doomsday?

There's a "leak"/rumor going around explaining that. It's a few months old already.

Spoiler

I definitely don't think it's 100% correct or even credible, but it makes sense, is plausible and fits well with Alfred's line in the trailer and the other evidence we have gotten.

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:20 PM

Slightly OT, but looks like the re-shoots for JL are costing WB some big $$$

http://variety.com/2...ots-1202502433/

Honestly for 25 million they could have made a small movie or two for the price of the re-shoots. But my favorite part is where Cavill has to have his mustache digitally removed. They should just keep it in. Superman with a mustache would look great!

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:33 PM

So if Affleck's leaving the character can we finally get Jon Hamm for the role, the literal perfect match?

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:36 PM

I wonder if the higher than usual costs of the reshoots are simply because of scheduling and logistics or Whedon wanting to redo some things completely. Also I know everybody knows he's in it, but it's funny how we still don't have official confirmation that Cavil/Supes is in JL.

UshaB
  • UshaB

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:14 AM

"Connective tissue to link sequences.". That sounds about right. But $25 mill god dayum! What else are they planning to do exactly? How much does it cost for a hell load of CGI btw?

So if Affleck's leaving the character can we finally get Jon Hamm for the role, the literal perfect match?

Not sure. The proposed rumour, idea, is that they'll be going for a younger Bruce Wayne. Insiders say that they'll make the transition, "fluid and smooth" or whatever. I didn't believe any of it until they announced that Flash's movie will be based on Flashpoint, which may make some changes. Also the fact that Ben Affleck said, " I've done the two movies. I've always intended on doing a third if Warners wants to make it. Certainly if the Bat-phone rings, I will answer. I'd love to do it as long as they'll have me." Sounds like Ben is trying to put the burden on WB if they recast him.

But I don't know, I have absolutely no idea of the direction they're planning to go.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:01 AM

Honestly for 25 million they could have made a small movie or two for the price of the re-shoots. But my favorite part is where Cavill has to have his mustache digitally removed. They should just keep it in. Superman with a mustache would look great!

They should keep that Mustache it would look great on Superman sucks they want to remove it.

• Spaghetti Cat likes this

Flash525
  • Flash525

Fibre Force Team Leader

• Members
  • England

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:40 AM

There's a "leak"/rumor going around explaining that. It's a few months old already.

Spoiler

I definitely don't think it's 100% correct or even credible, but it makes sense, is plausible and fits well with Alfred's line in the trailer and the other evidence we have gotten.

I've read a similar rumour, but one that involves time travel (in) the JL film, tying into the scene from BvS. The rumour I read will have an Evil Superman fighting the League; specifically Batman because he blames him for (what he thinks) is Lois' death, then Bruce remembers that dream, and has Barry collect Lois and bring her to Superman before he comes around and joins the team again - or something like that.

At this point though, the internet is rumour central. Superman must be very naïve though to suddenly believe an alien, and then to attempt to kill Bruce (again).

He isn't leaving - not by his choice anyway. I hate to say it, but if they do recast Batman (via Flashpoint) this will only serve to display the proof that DC rushed ahead with their films (something we already know) and now they're trying to fix it with time travel (because time travel always works out best). I honestly don't see why they can't just use some different characters with more cameo roles from Batman. I get that Batman is the Justice League (to some extent) but to suddenly recast the character, especially when (in my opinion) Affleck has done so well with it - I'd feel cheated!

• HaythamKenway likes this

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:12 PM

No.

Spoiler

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:22 PM