Quantcast

» «
Photo

DC Cinematic Universe (Batman, Supes, Aquaman, and more)

2,169 replies to this topic
Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

I'm kind of starting to lose faith in the DCEU.

This latest JL trailer just isn't doing it for me.

From what it seems, they're making the team-up for the sake on having an Avengers version of DC Universe. At this point, DC's doing good on Television front.

DC always do good on TV in fairness, especially Animated series, they've been crushing Marvel for literally years on that front. They've just been late to the party in Hollywood but rather than this hash bash disasterous concoction I'd rather they done backgrounds and actually built character profiles in advance.

Can't have everything though I suppose.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:00 AM

Apparently Joss Whedon is in talks to direct a Batgirl movie based on Gail Simone's New 52 run.

I love everything about that.
  • Natasha likes this

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:26 PM

teen titans judas contract was released today.

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:10 AM

Apparently Joss Whedon is in talks to direct a Batgirl movie based on Gail Simone's New 52 run.

I think he'd be a perfect for an overarching Batfamily movie that doesn't include Batman. That sort of light hearted banter and familial bond that defines characters like Nightwing and Batgirl are things Whedon has in spades.

• Vik likes this

Spectacus
  • Spectacus

SHEIRA!!!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

Not gonna lie, I was hoping that they'd use another Batgirl - I was under the presumption that Babs would be in a wheelchair.

Homemade Dynamite
  • Homemade Dynamite

Is this easy mode?

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Concept 2015 [GTA Online: Liberty City Expansion]

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:10 PM

With Suicide Squad 2 confirmed, who would you like to see make up the second iteration of the Squad, and what would you like to see with the movie in general?

I can imagine the criminal lineup potentially being something like this:

- Deadshot

- Captain Boomerang

- King Shark

- Black Spider

- Poison Ivy

- Black Manta

And maybe the non-criminals being:

- Rick Flag

- Katana

- Bronze Tiger

Black Manta would be the most clever. Assuming SS2 comes out after Aquaman, they could have Black Manta defeated rather than killed by Aquaman and then have him appear in the next movie as a member of the Squad. As for what I'd like to see about the movie itself, make it more focused and pick a better villain than the Enchantress (who was at complete odds with the tone of the movie). Maybe have it less about "saving the world" and more about completing an important mission, which is befitting of the team. Then at the end they break free from the bombs like in Assault on Arkham, and things get really interesting...

What would you like to see in SS2? I really like the concept and I hope it can be executed better than what the first movie did.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:27 PM

If I want a Suicide Squad, and there's no restrictions, just purely my fantasy lineup, the new villains I'm going with (on top of the old:

-Death Stroke
-Clay Face
-Metallo
-Ventriloquist (Shauna Belzer)
-Komodo
-Talon

With surprise guest SSer...

Spoiler

Talon would be a hard sell. People would be like, "who"? Komodo is f*cking badass, and f*ck Arrow for f*cking him over in that show. The Ventriloquist (Shauna Belzer) feels like a perfect fit, and people would know the name, but wonder where Scarface is. And Metallo would be great, unless they want to save him for MoS2. Deathstroke and Clayface seem like slam dunks. I almost put Captain Cold in there, as well.

That's a lot to ask for, though.

Darealbandicoot
  • Darealbandicoot

Strange and exotic sailor

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:17 PM Edited by Crashbandicoot2, 07 May 2017 - 07:18 PM.

One thing that bothers me about jareds joker is that David Ayer said that joker got the metal teeth and the damaged tattoo after killing robin. The confusion comes from the start credits saying that Harley was an acomplice in robins death but thats impossible as joker has the tattoo and metal teeth when he first met dr quinzel. IMO the reason joker was in arkham when he met harley was for killing robin but thats just a theory. Anyone else bothered with this little continuity error? Liked jareds joker regardless.

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:45 AM

• Kirsty and UshaB like this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:40 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 22 May 2017 - 10:43 PM.

BIG NEWS: Zack Snyder Steps Down From 'Justice League' to Deal With Family Tragedy, Joss Whedon to finish film

Edit: And to be clear, the movie has already wrapped principle photography, and is in post production.
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive, Flash525, AlienTwo and 6 others like this

Flash525
  • Flash525

Fibre Force Team Leader

• Members
  • England

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:08 PM

Joss is just in to wrap up the project then? Good! Avengers 2 was seemingly too much for him, I wouldn't like to think how he could have potentially ruined the big DC assemble. A tradegy what has happened though, people over social media laughing about it (because they don't like Snyder's directing) is in poor taste too.

Zoobz
  • Zoobz

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Best Llama 2016
    GTAF Snap Battle Season 2 Winner

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:43 PM

Sad to hear about Synders' daughter. But nice to see Whedon help finish Justice League. He knows a thing or two about big ensemble super hero movies. 

gtaoplayer
  • gtaoplayer

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:05 PM

Wonder Woman next week. I'm definitely going to see it.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:20 PM Edited by HaythamKenway, 02 June 2017 - 09:00 AM.

Wondy is pretty good. A very conservative, traditional Hero's Journey compared to DCEU's output to date, but the sincerity makes it work as the movie doesn't try to lampshade it or undercut its drama or emotional resonance to seem "wisened up". It plays with moral ambiguity and actually utilizes the setting correctly (it's simple and obvious, but it's there), without losing its optimistic streak. It knows when to lift things up (and the humor is actually appropriate rather than forced and delivered in reserved doses - apart from one (or two?) examples that were deliberately set up in such a way to serve the main twist of all the things) and when to play things straight. Gadot and Pine have a tremendous chemistry together and Diana/Steve are the first pairing in comic book movies that I've really enjoyed in god knows how many years and both characters are established and developed really well. The villain is handled interestingly, in that the twists the movie cooks up are so predictable you can see them from a mile away, but it's subversive and serves the film's overarching themes well.

The first act, which repeatedly slides way too close to cheap clichéd pathos, gets the movie off to a bit rocky start, but after Diana leaves it quickly picks up and builds to the conclusion really well. As for the other problems I had; some of the supporting characters needed to have their arcs properly played out and the ending could have been assembled better (it has a bit of a stop-and-start hiccup problem and the final CGI-heavy battle is a necessity for the characters involved, but still feels a bit out of place in the context of the overall relatively grounded movie). Those are just minor problems that do not take that much from the movie as a whole though. It's an all around well told self-contained story that satisfyingly follows through on central characters and themes it sets up, which is more than we far too often get in this genre.

After the mixed signals of Suicide Squad and Justice League's kneejerking marketing campaign, WW rekindled hope that they have things figured out beyond doing wild "Uhh, let's do what GotG did!" damage control from now on.

Edit: Appropriate that "sincere" is the first word that came to my mind when I wanted to describe why Wonder Woman works. Because that's exactly what Jenkins was aiming for and what makes the movie stand out from certain competitors (and as I hope I made clear in my post, I don't necessarily mean just Snyder's work here).

This may be a cheesy question, but what do you want people to take away from this movie?

Did you say cheesy? Cheesy is one of the words banned in my world. I’m tired of sincerity being something we have to be afraid of doing. It’s been like that for 20 years, that the entertainment and art world has shied away from sincerity, real sincerity, because they feel they have to wink at the audience because that’s what the kids like. We have to do the real stories now. The world is in crisis.

I wanted to tell a story about a hero who believes in love, who is filled with love, who believes in change and the betterment of mankind. I believe in it. It’s terrible when it makes so many artists afraid to be sincere and truthful and emotional, and relegates them to the too-cool-for-school department. Art is supposed to bring beauty to the world.

https://www.nytimes....ty-jenkins.html

Can we give Jenkins the reins to DCEU, please?

• Flash525, UshaB, Vik and 1 other like this

PhoGarrett
  • PhoGarrett

Formally known as dillono

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:32 AM

Wonder Woman was okay. It has it's moments (Chris Pine, World War 1, No Man's Land Scene) but for the most part is was just "meh" to me. An improvement to the two last DCEU movies for sure but still pretty mediocre. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. In my opinion, this is my ranking of the DCEU so far:

1. Man of Steel
  2. Wonder Woman
  3. Batman V. Superman
  4. Suicide Squad
  • UrbanTheEmcee and gajrajgchouhan like this

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:52 AM

I have to disagree that Man of Steel is the best in the bunch. Henry Cavill as Superman was boring and uninspired. I dare to say he didn't have any charisma at all. To be fair, I don't think it's entirely Cavill's fault though. I think the direction of the film was too akin to The Dark Knight. Darkness and a kind of grounding in reality works for Batman. But Superman needed to be a little more larger than life. Gone was the heart and soul of the Reeve's era of Superman. For some people, I get it, they like the new rendition. I for one can't get over how bland the character has become. The writers took liberties that I can't get on board with, like not including Jimmy (and literally killing him off in the sequel before we ever even really knew who he was) and spoiling the romance between Kent and Lane. 

I saw Wonder Woman last night and I've got to say I think they finally got something right. The movie had so much heart and soul. While it's another origins tale (yawn) it had great humor, great action, and characters I really felt something for. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that these movies need more than action and drama. And that's why Wonder Woman works so well. The movie had me laughing. It had me on the edge of my seat at times, even. And for Mrs. Queen, well, she was crying too. A great range of emotions that really brings the humanity out. I simply didn't feel much emotion in the other films, which is why they've failed and missed the mark in my eyes.

• AlienTwo, UshaB, Vik and 1 other like this

UshaB
  • UshaB

Nacho Libre - "I wanna weeeeeen!"

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:25 AM

Wonder Woman definitely the best out of the others, imo. I wanted to cry maaaan, but I couldn't.....great film.

UrbanTheEmcee
  • UrbanTheEmcee

I'm that bada** n*gga yo moms warned you about.

• Members

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:00 PM

Wonder Woman was okay. It has it's moments (Chris Pine, World War 1, No Man's Land Scene) but for the most part is was just "meh" to me. An improvement to the two last DCEU movies for sure but still pretty mediocre. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. In my opinion, this is my ranking of the DCEU so far:

1. Man of Steel
  2. Wonder Woman
  3. Batman V. Superman
  4. Suicide Squad

I agree. 

gtaoplayer
  • gtaoplayer

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:19 PM

I have to disagree that Man of Steel is the best in the bunch. Henry Cavill as Superman was boring and uninspired. I dare to say he didn't have any charisma at all. To be fair, I don't think it's entirely Cavill's fault though. I think the direction of the film was too akin to The Dark Knight. Darkness and a kind of grounding in reality works for Batman. But Superman needed to be a little more larger than life. Gone was the heart and soul of the Reeve's era of Superman. For some people, I get it, they like the new rendition. I for one can't get over how bland the character has become.

Yup. Exactly how I feel about Superman.

Him + darkness = sh*t. It just doesn't work. It feels so unnatural at times.. and made me hate the character more than I already did.
  • Zello, AlienTwo and Queen like this

UshaB
  • UshaB

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:18 AM

Yup. Exactly how I feel about Superman.

Him + darkness = sh*t. It just doesn't work. It feels so unnatural at times.. and made me hate the character more than I already did.

It's hard for me to choose a solid stance from either view on this matter because of Zack's vision. His view/plan is to have MOS and BVS make Supe's all grim and dark and such and that he'll come back in Justice League as a character of Sope Hope, along the lines of Reeves, being that classical cheery, hopeful happy guy and establishing that form of characterisation moving forward.

But I understand and recognise what you peeps are talking about. But it's just Zack's plan to have what you guys want later, as to grow and evolve to that Reeves being. MoS & BvS was his internal struggle, battling of why he should the things he does and so he'll later grow into what we all love. Is it a good idea? imo yes, but were these themes executed well? no not really, not at all. MoS was pretty alright-ish/bad-ish. BvS was really bad. His death should of been much later, during when he's all Reeve's like and such. Maybe grim in MoS1, then evolves to Reevey-ness in MoS 2, JL 1 happens, MoS 3 happens and dies in it, people have a reason to be sad and sh*t and JL 2 happens and gets resurrected (I don't like the idea of Supes coming back to life, it sounds to omnipotent for me) but that's how I feel like it could of been done. BvS could of been later, or never happened at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, lel

• gtaoplayer likes this

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:12 AM

18814153_1760216090659645_50912791737307

• darthYENIK, Kirsty, Flash525 and 5 others like this

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Administrator 2016
    Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:37 PM

Hadn't watched the recent DC Universe movies but decided to go through them over the last week to get in the mood for Wonder Woman. They were enjoyable for a one-off watch but didn't gel with them as much as the Marvel Universe. Ben Affleck wasn't as bad as a Batman as I thought he would be, but Henry Cavill is a bit flat, and I like the Suicide Squad characters but the execution wasn't the best.

However.... just got back from watching Wonder Woman. It was just briliant! Strong, emotional, nothing too forced, it was just so refreshing to have a positive female hero at the centre that doesn't take no sh*t and isn't taken advantage of. Really enjoyed it and definitely at the top of the list for me. 

• HaythamKenway, Flash525, gajrajgchouhan and 3 others like this

CrysisAverted
  • CrysisAverted

Formerly Sh4d0wX32111

• Members
  • None
  • Most Missed 2016
    [Snapmatic & R* Editor Awards 2015] Best Unedited
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:22 AM Edited by CrysisAverted, 08 June 2017 - 03:34 AM.

Lets
Spoiler

gTsrCjq_MOrXkMTbR0_wd1OLvsBC-HKFuMezyRQC

N-nice job Wonder Woman

also
Spoiler

UshaB
  • UshaB

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:33 AM

Lets

Spoiler

I feel like 

Spoiler

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:55 AM

I don't know much about Wonder Woman but...

How f*cking old is she and why doesn't she age?

• UshaB and gtaoplayer like this

UshaB
  • UshaB

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:49 AM Edited by UshaB, 08 June 2017 - 05:51 AM.

Patty Jenkins said;

"Well, I think she’s thousands of years old. Really, I think she’s a child but she’s probably 800."

"The truth was I kept talking about listen, this is her coming of age story. How is she coming of age and how long does that take to learn these lessons. Well, it would take a long time but also we don’t know how long it took to get to that moment that she finally does the energy blast and then Steve arrives. That might have taken that whole time or the middle stage might’ve taken longer and she’s been fighting for a decent amount of time. It’s like you stretch out that time period to her living for a long time and that’s her aging."

The other Amazonians though, like her mother, Antiope, Artemis and the others look like they age much more slower than Diana. Plus she's pretty much a God/God Killer so Diana ages slow.

CrysisAverted
  • CrysisAverted

Formerly Sh4d0wX32111

• Members
  • None
  • Most Missed 2016
    [Snapmatic & R* Editor Awards 2015] Best Unedited
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:23 AM Edited by CrysisAverted, 08 June 2017 - 06:24 AM.

I don't know much about Wonder Woman but...

How f*cking old is she and why doesn't she age?

Shes the product of hot relations between queen of the amazon.coms and a god, making her a demigod much like that one-trick pony Hercules.

Lets

Spoiler

I feel like 
Spoiler

So
Spoiler
  • UshaB likes this

UshaB
  • UshaB

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:10 AM

"There's a chance to do an almost noir driven, detective version of Batman that is point-of-view driven in a very, very powerful way, that will hopefully connect you to what's going on in his head" - Matt Reeves.

Thank you, thank you Mr. Reeves. I want to see the World's Greatest Detective doing some Sherlock type work (or surpass that, would be fine by me).

Zack-Snyder-Batman.jpg?quality=85&strip=

• Payne Killer and MisFit-138 like this

Flash525
  • Flash525

Fibre Force Team Leader

• Members
  • England

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:07 AM

Watched this last weekend; thought it was very good, though was suprised at that death, considering the character's ... position in the comics.

As for her age, she's obviously old, older than any of the other DCEU characters (that we know of anyway; how old is Aquaman?) Slightly curious on the age of the other Amazonians too; they may be immortal (or age slower) but they seemingly aren't any more gifted than the average person if they can be killed by one bullet. Men (and women) have been known to survive from gunshot wounds, and yet every Amazonian we know who got shot, died.

Not sure whether this has been mentioned before either, swear I remember reading it somewhere, but if Diana is the daughter of Zeus, and Poseidon is God of the sea, and Aquaman/Atlantis is under the sea, does this mean that Aquaman is a descendant of Zeus?

MisFit-138
  • MisFit-138

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:49 PM

Watched this last weekend; thought it was very good, though was suprised at that death, considering the character's ... position in the comics.

As for her age, she's obviously old, older than any of the other DCEU characters (that we know of anyway; how old is Aquaman?) Slightly curious on the age of the other Amazonians too; they may be immortal (or age slower) but they seemingly aren't any more gifted than the average person if they can be killed by one bullet. Men (and women) have been known to survive from gunshot wounds, and yet every Amazonian we know who got shot, died.

Not sure whether this has been mentioned before either, swear I remember reading it somewhere, but if Diana is the daughter of Zeus, and Poseidon is God of the sea, and Aquaman/Atlantis is under the sea, does this mean that Aquaman is a descendant of Zeus?

Na, the Atlantians (or poseidians) in DC Comics are humans who adapted to the sea after "the great flood" via a scientifically developed serum. So they're basically humans. Aquaman is the son of a human lighthouse keeper and the queen of Atlantis.
  • Flash525 and AlienTwo like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users