News: Sequel to Tomb Raider in the works

14 replies to this topic
Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

In an interview with writer Gail Simone (Deadpool, Batgirl), new information has been revealed about an upcoming Tomb Raider comic book. If you enjoyed the story and characterization in Square Enix's reboot, then this should be some good news.

Speaking with Kotaku, Simone revealed that the story she's working on takes place after the conclusion of this year's title. It will be canon and lead into a sequel. Given Square Enix's claim that Tomb Raider failed to meet expectations, news of a sequel is both surprising and welcome.

Simone is an avid gamer, and she shares her enjoyment of the series at large. "I’ve always loved the classic, cool Lara Croft, but this feels like her origin story, like we’re seeing her before she becomes the icon, and it’s very compelling to me," she said.

The series from Dark Horse is due out in February 2014. While this confirms a sequel, no additional news is available. We reached out to Square Enix and representatives declined to comment.

Source: http://www.gameinfor...rms-sequel.aspx

The sequel was quite obvious considering the importance of the saga, even if the latest part of Tomb Raider's franchise didn't turn much a profit. Are you waiting eagerly?

sublimelabs
  • sublimelabs

The Jimmy Rustler

• Members

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:17 AM

I had a blast with Tomb Raider. It's like the Batman Begins of video game reboots. People compare the game to Uncharted, but I honestly had more fun with Tomb Raider. tounge.gif

My biggest complaint is the hand-holding (Lara would blatantly suggest things to the player) Made the puzzles really easy. Though I'll admit, one of the reasons why I love the reboot so much is that it's not afraid to be a cinematic, popcorn adventure-thriller while using traditional video game logic. You know, how Lara is able to carry a bunch of weapons and be immortal, despite all the immense obstacles she faces. For the sake of the narrative. It's nostalgic in a way, once you look past the quick-time events. Even then, I'm not as bothered by QTEs like some people are. As long as they're not like Ryse, I'm fine with them.

But yeah I'm excited for the next one. Camilla Luddington Croft is the most likable Croft IMO.
Also can't wait to see how their engine fares next-gen, because the visuals in TR were beautiful on Xbox and PS3. Wonder if they'll continue down this open-world path. If they do I hope there are more tombs, or at least a few large tombs with a great amount of depth.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

This would be the right place to ask I suppose. This Tomb Raider you guys are talking about is the new one, not released long ago, correct? It was released early this year/late last year is that right?

I once played 10 minutes of Tomb Raider in like 2009 on a bootleg copy from Thailand on an Xbox, it was nothing special So I didn't play further. Would you recommend I play this new one though? If it helps I really love Uncharted.

Also, don't tell me too much about it, just a rough summary of what gameplay/mechanics are like. Games are more fun when you know less about them.

M.A.K
  • M.A.K

Religion! ... Cause of Peace & War.

• Members
  • Pakistan

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

I say you should give it a go, I played the PC Version and the game is fantastic, I enjoyed it.

Durden
  • Durden

The annoying voice in your head

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

Wow, really surprised they're making a sequel in spite of the sales. I wish more devs applied that attitude for their game *cough* The Saboteur & RAGE) *cough*

I never did play Tomb Raider because it looked identical to Uncharted. Maybe I can pick it up from the bargain bin later down the line.

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:34 AM

IMO it's a better game than Bioshock Infinite, quite underrated (or at least, that's what I think). you guys should try it too, the only thing bad about it is the laughable puzzles.

cbiscuit93
  • cbiscuit93

Pink Bandana

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:42 AM

I played & beat the New Tomb Raider in about two days. It was soppossed to be this huge open world game with lots of stuff to do & was soppossed to last a long time.
Unfortuneatly not the case.

The game play is really fun while you play it, but the replay value is just 0.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

I was pleasantly surprised by Tomb Raider.

I think most of it was down to it being ubisoft and it played very similar to alot of my favorite games.

I mostly enjoyed it because they didn't beat you over the head with the story, Lara wouldnt constantly babble bullsh*t every two seconds or cry and whine about sh*t, she just got on with it, how you would expect her to. Despite all the other characters being pretty sh*t, Lara herself was portrayed decently.

There were quite a few unrealistic as f*ck scenarios, and sections where she should have died but still it is Tomb Raider after all.

Tomb Raider on next gen consoles could be pretty amazing, full open world, no loading screens, it could be pretty awesome. They just need to keep on avoiding the cliché of gaming.

If I have to see someone slip off a ledge hanging one handed and looking down in first person, or have some animal or monster come right up to your face and roar, I will have to f*cking shoot myself in the head from sheer disgust.

sublimelabs
  • sublimelabs

The Jimmy Rustler

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (Daz @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 07:12)
I think most of it was down to it being ubisoft and it played very similar to alot of my favorite games.

Crystal Dynamics developed the game. Square Enix published. tounge.gif

GetWoody
  • GetWoody

Greedy Jew

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:41 AM

Hopefully they hire a competent writer this time around. Tomb Raider 2013's story and dialogue was hilariously awful.

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Chad

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:53 AM

I wonder what will be the game be about, like what will she going to look for?
That's what i get most curious about with tomb raider or uncharted type games

Chris Fromage
  • Chris Fromage

Homie

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

I really liked the new Tomb Raider. I really enjoyed it, but when it was finished, the game was over for me. There wasn't much interesting things to do anymore...

Hope they will improve multiplayer or co-op. smile.gif

Freakorama
  • Freakorama

Freako

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

I find the combat in Tomb Raider to be more dynamic and enjoyable than Uncharted.
I'm glad they're making another one.

If only Lara was like 16 years old or something. Then I'd be making fan art.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (gionascm2 @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 15:51)
Wow, really surprised they're making a sequel in spite of the sales. I wish more devs applied that attitude for their game *cough* The Saboteur & RAGE)  *cough*

The sales were actually perfectly fine, 3.4 million copies in the first month & it was the fastest selling Tomb Raider title ever released. But Square Enix had higher expectations that it didn't meet.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

I heard it has to sell 5-10 millions of copies to turn profit. If it's true, then I'm really surprised they decided to make a sequel.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users