Flight Simulator X

26 replies to this topic
Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• The Connection
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA Online]

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

Hey anyone have FSX? Its a pretty good Flight Sim, What do you guys think of it?

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

Honest?
I wouldn't really call it a flight sim. Totally isn't the MS Flight Sim most people know, love, and remember.

I have it, but only the free Hawaii stuff.

It's fun to fly around and all, but it is missing all the boring stuff. I need complicated VOR navigation and that panic feeling when landing in order to call anything a flight sim.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• The Connection
  • Ireland

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:16 PM Edited by gtavpoliceimprovements, 19 July 2013 - 11:18 PM.

I agree with that, but they can't make everything perfect

I am currently flying a Bombardier CRG 900, in Executive Livery

Might fly VFR For LX to SFO

Bobbin100
  • Bobbin100

I like trains. Do you?

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (trip @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 23:05)
Honest?
I wouldn't really call it a flight sim. Totally isn't the MS Flight Sim most people know, love, and remember.

Do you mean Flight Simulator 2012? Because i think the 2006 version of Flight Simulator X is best in it's series.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (Bobbin100 @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 19:24)
QUOTE (trip @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 23:05)
Honest?
I wouldn't really call it a flight sim.  Totally isn't the MS Flight Sim most people know, love, and remember. 

Do you mean Flight Simulator 2012? Because i think the 2006 version of Flight Simulator X is best in it's series.

Ok...I take it all back.

The last one I played is Microsoft Flight...and it sucks ass.
user posted image

And yes the 2006 is the last one I have on the series and it is the best one. Damn you...now I have to install it.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• The Connection
  • Ireland

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:33 PM

Anyone do IFR, or do the Missions?

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:44 PM Edited by NCONiall, 19 July 2013 - 11:47 PM.

Oh my, Microsoft Flight.

I haven't played FSX in a while but I might reinstall it. I was actually really in to it at one point. I went through those lessons and passed the first two checkrides, but I stopped after that and just flew ordinary VFR/IFR flights, didn't do much of the missions. There was actually some good learning material on those lesson pages.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• The Connection
  • Ireland

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

There is really good learning Material on FSX, And the Missions are pretty good especially those landing Challenges!, Sometimes i like to fly IFR From LAX to SHO, And then do some VFR from Salt Lake City to other random airports, Flying through the Mountains in Utah is awesome!

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:55 AM Edited by NCONiall, 20 July 2013 - 12:01 PM.

Never really flew into or from America, I mainly flew out from Dublin over to England, France and the like. I imagine this game would look pretty nice flying over the mountains, African planes; pity I only have a laptop capable of medium-ish settings.

How are you on helicopters? I like them, but I just end up getting lost.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• The Connection
  • Ireland

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

I mostly fly from Shannon/Dublin too, I don't have a joystick so flying helicopters is a little difficult, but its alright

Trund
  • Trund

I'm all of ach fo her

• Members

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

Basic FSX is completely useless. Without addon airplanes, for example the PMDG 737NGX, it's total crap. It's been quite some time now since I moved from FSX to Lockheeds Prepar3D, which basically is the new Version of FSX since Lockheed bought the license from Microsoft and they'll now keep updating it, adding multicore support and so on, and all the addons for FSX work for it too, so that's THE flightsim you want to get nowadays.

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:26 PM Edited by NCONiall, 20 July 2013 - 02:28 PM.

I've heard a great deal about PMDG and I was tempted to try it. But as I said above, my laptop isn't that good, and most payware aircraft cause immense lag. If you want a good Concorde (for FSX), FlightSimLabs has a brilliant one, at least from what I've heard; but it is quite expensive.

I've been recommended Prepar3D before, so I might give it a go.

fgcarva1
  • fgcarva1

Il Figlioccio

• Members

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

Went through a FSX phase before starting with GTA. Had a crappy computer but joined one of those simulation airlines with some other guys from around the world. Good fun on Teamspeak, recorded the flights through some software and etc. Did a lot of overnighters, leaving my computer on and landing the next morning. Good times, but now I have a MacBook, and even though i have Parallels installed, which allows me to use Windows, still too lazy to get back into it. Too time consuming.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

I used to play it, I believe I still have it installed on my computer. I went over to X-Plane 10 awhile ago though. To be honest I never really got into flight simulators unless there were an actual cockpit around you so I used to head over to the Westfield in Shepherd's Bush in London for iPilot. Price is a bit steep but it's better than anything at home.

Trund
  • Trund

I'm all of ach fo her

• Members

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (NCONiall @ Saturday, Jul 20 2013, 16:26)
I've heard a great deal about PMDG and I was tempted to try it. But as I said above, my laptop isn't that good, and most payware aircraft cause immense lag. If you want a good Concorde (for FSX), FlightSimLabs has a brilliant one, at least from what I've heard; but it is quite expensive.

That's true, most addons are very hardware hungry, but there are a few exceptions like the Level-D 767, it has quite an amazing performance, it's not the newest addon so it doesn't have as many features as the PMDG 737NGX, but it's still far from the default airplanes and has quite a realistic working FMC.

I can only suggest Prepar3D, it's the best flight simulator you can get at the moment. Simulators like X-Plane are really poor if you ask me, if you want to fly with heavy airliners there's absolutely nothing realistic about it, as the airplanes behave like little paper planes, it's sad considering how they advertise the game as super realistic.

SmC12
  • SmC12

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:32 PM Edited by SmC12, 20 July 2013 - 04:55 PM.

QUOTE (Trund @ Saturday, Jul 20 2013, 15:54)
QUOTE (NCONiall @ Saturday, Jul 20 2013, 16:26)

That's true, most addons are very hardware hungry, but there are a few exceptions like the Level-D 767, it has quite an amazing performance, it's not the newest addon so it doesn't have as many features as the PMDG 737NGX, but it's still far from the default airplanes and has quite a realistic working FMC.

I can only suggest Prepar3D, it's the best flight simulator you can get at the moment. Simulators like X-Plane are really poor if you ask me, if you want to fly with heavy airliners there's absolutely nothing realistic about it, as the airplanes behave like little paper planes, it's sad considering how they advertise the game as super realistic.

I have heard much about P3D, however not all addons are fully compatible as it uses an updated version of the ESP code which Microsoft unfortunately left incomplete with FSX, causing so much trouble to get great performance out of it. I may look into it in the future but I feel I've invested so much time into FSX and tweaking the files and settings to get the perfect performance and experience that I don't want to move over to a new sim. X-Plane is graphically superior as it takes advantage of newer technology, but I agree as a simulation it doesn't feel as complete as FSX.

It's a real shame that the new MS Flight was such a disaster. I knew it would fail as soon as Microsoft said it was geared towards casual gamers. You cannot make a convincing and detailed simulator that appeals to the casual market, that's why the "Simulator" brand has been turned into arcade bullsh*t, with things like "Surgeon Simulator" and what not. Microsoft attempted to join the mainstream gaming market and ruined one of the most important franchises - in terms of education and pure enjoyment - in the process.

FSX literally takes up at least 200GB on my computer, I have so many add-on aircraft and scenery and texture improvements. I feel Flight Simulator is unique in that way as, although many PC games have mods which improve the experience, almost none of them have been able to establish a market where new developers can actually thrive financially by making modifications to the game, and the amount of detail and realism that goes into products like PMDG is simply outstanding and even Boeing themselves approve it as an official training product. Definately a very special "modding community", if you can call it that, centred around this simulator.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• The Connection
  • Ireland

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

Anyone use Surclaro? Its a good website to Download a lot of Free Planes for FSX and FS2004

Trund
  • Trund

I'm all of ach fo her

• Members

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (SmC12 @ Saturday, Jul 20 2013, 18:32)
I have heard much about P3D, however not all addons are fully compatible as it uses an updated version of the ESP code which Microsoft unfortunately left incomplete with FSX, causing so much trouble to get great performance out of it. I may look into it in the future but I feel I've invested so much time into FSX and tweaking the files and settings to get the perfect performance and experience that I don't want to move over to a new sim. X-Plane is graphically superior as it takes advantage of newer technology, but I agree as a simulation it doesn't feel as complete as FSX.

The new MS Flight is just a crappy arcade game with no depth in simulation anymore, they ruined it. With P3D however I didn't ran into any trouble yet. There's this nice little tool that lets you install every FSX addon into the correct directories of P3D, and so far I haven't ran into any software that didn't fully work. But then again I only use addons that I find necessary for a realistic flight, such as addon Airplanes like PMDG and weather software, also making sure that my FMC Data is up to date. The only thing I miss are updated Airports, a lot of them are out of date by now, also sometimes the software can confuse Runways when they changed the number due to the change in magnetic variation, latest at that point you really notice that the main game it's based on is quite old.

I wouldn't even say that X-Plane is graphically superior, it always looks a little unrealistic to me, I never really got used to it. The biggest flaw of the game is the flight dynamics of heavy airplanes, I don't know whether that's a flaw of the game engine or the lack of addon support, but unless you want to fly single engine airplanes around the game just isn't suited for anyone who's looking for an actual simulation of flying.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• The Connection
  • Ireland

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

Anyone else have trouble when downloading Aircraft to FSX on Surclaro?

SmC12
  • SmC12

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (gtavpoliceimprovements @ Saturday, Jul 20 2013, 21:45)

I've tried that website before and to be honest it's really not good. You should try Simviation (slow downloads unless you're a member), Flightsim.com, or Avsim - if you can't find what you're looking for there it probably doesn't exist.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• The Connection
  • Ireland

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (SmC12 @ Saturday, Jul 20 2013, 23:05)

I've tried that website before and to be honest it's really not good. You should try Simviation (slow downloads unless you're a member), Flightsim.com, or Avsim - if you can't find what you're looking for there it probably doesn't exist.

Might try them, are they free though?

SmC12
  • SmC12

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (gtavpoliceimprovements @ Saturday, Jul 20 2013, 22:08)

All of them are, yes. If you want faster downloads from Simviation I think you need to pay for premium membership, but the others are fine as a guest.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• The Connection
  • Ireland

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (SmC12 @ Saturday, Jul 20 2013, 23:12)
QUOTE (gtavpoliceimprovements @ Saturday, Jul 20 2013, 22:08)

All of them are, yes. If you want faster downloads from Simviation I think you need to pay for premium membership, but the others are fine as a guest.

That's good, I'll probably won't get premium though

fgcarva1
  • fgcarva1

Il Figlioccio

• Members

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (SmC12 @ Saturday, Jul 20 2013, 19:05)

I strongly recommend all of these websites. icon14.gif

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

I've always used FlightSim/Avsim and I had no problems with them.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• The Connection
  • Ireland

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (NCONiall @ Saturday, Jul 20 2013, 23:14)
I've always used FlightSim/Avsim and I had no problems with them.

I usually have no problems when i download aircraft onto FS2004, but now when I try to do the same on FSX I keep having problems

Trund
  • Trund

I'm all of ach fo her

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

For everyone who's interested: PMDG just released their new 777-200LR/F, the most modern and authentic digital recreation of the triple seven. I assume they will bring out the 777-300ER as well at some point. The price is quite steep with $90, but I'll probably get it in several weeks.

http://www.precision...uct/777LRF.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users