Can my computer run this? Again.

29 replies to this topic
Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

Recently I got a new computer. That one in my sig? Its scrap now. I mean the following specs...

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5450 2GB
CPU: Intel Pentium G2020 2.9GHz Dual Core
RAM: 4GB

So far it seems like GTAIV would run on anything, however I'm not sure about the processor. Though it seems that the CanYouRunIt tool or whatever it was called has a grudge against my processor. For instance, how can a dual core 2.9GHz processor, released January this year, stand against a very old processor, the 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo? Another example of the grudge is that the tool told me that I wouldn't run Sonic Adventure 2 at recommended specs... when I run it though at 1360x768, and this is the only graphics setting in that game, I still get full speed... so?

It has a grudge against the CPU itself but not the speed... but still.

Do you think this computer would be the one to run GTA IV (whether be it on minimum or maximum settings)?

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

On that set-up, you could probably run it on Low settings with around 20-25 fps...You're right, the processor will hold you back a little on this game, as compared to the rest of the GTA's for PC...I would recommend not using anything over Patch 4 on that set up and keeping shadows on OFF. Also, resolution in game at no more than 1024X768 for best performance. Commandlines may help a little too. Hope this helps. smile.gif

I have pretty much the same video card(which is a HD5470, as mine is a laptop card) w/1GB vram and can run the game at Medium to high(mostly medium) settings at 30+fps, but I also have an Intel I5 Quad core processor and 6GB DDR3 system ram...

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

Ah, radioman, I missed you so much wink.gif

Anyways, this processor still remains better than the Core 2 Duo. I'd try the game and find out, but after I move my stuff to the new computer. Oh, and if I managed to overclock the processor, would I get faster speeds? I only need a 30FPS consistent rate. But I also don't want a computer that doesn't turn itself off at boot time because of overclocking wink.gif

Oh, I feel I should mention other names. Minecraft ran at highest settings and it never went down 40FPS. I maxed TF2's setting (unless its the anti-aliasing, kept it for now) and it works fast and great. Half Life 2 looks great too. NFS Most Wanted wasn't 60FPS at highest settings but was still playable.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Die Hoodrat DIE!!!

• Members

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

hd 5470 have 160 shaders and hd 5450 have 80 shaders? that's like night and day in gta iv... anyway, poster is right. only low settings with that specification, plus may have to turn off more features.

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

Really? The difference between these two cards are 80 shaders? Anyways, where was I... oh.
What does Rockstar means by "minimum specs" with GTA IV? Do they mean the specs in which the game runs at a very very low FPS or one which the game runs at a considerable framerate at low settings?

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (Diego "DM" Mendez @ Saturday, Jul 20 2013, 12:44)
Really? The difference between these two cards are 80 shaders? Anyways, where was I... oh.
What does Rockstar means by "minimum specs" with GTA IV? Do they mean the specs in which the game runs at a very very low FPS or one which the game runs at a considerable framerate at low settings?

From what i've seen on here, IV appears to be a bad port, so in order to run the game properly, you need to have at least something that is in between minimum and recommended specs for this game? Hopefully V is a lot better port-and it should be as it would be the second port off this engine. Look at III, it evidently had problems too at release and for a while afterwards(it too was the first port off the Playstation) yet VC fixed a lot of the problems III had...so, hopefully V fixes a lot of the problems IV had(considering IV was the first port off the 360)...I think that IF they would have ported it off the Playstation(like they did with the III era games), it would have been a lot better and required less specs to run...? As looking back III, VC, and SA used to run great-even on low end PC's-to prove that, I use to play and run all those games on a laptop with an AMD Sempron @798MHZ, 256MB ram(than upgraded to 1GB), and a VIA/SIS Video card w/32mb vram and XP Home, and III and VC ran at a steady 25 fps with Frame Limiter ON, and SA ran at a steady 20-25fps with the Frame Limiter ON(got a little more on those games with the Frame Limiter OFF)...So, evidently Playstation ports are a lot better than 360 Ports.. tounge2.gif lol.gif

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:43 PM Edited by Diego "DM" Mendez, 21 July 2013 - 02:32 AM.

But I wanna ask, is 25FPS good for a GTA game? To me it seems like I'm gonna spend years to move Niko Belic from one part of that new Liberty City to another, unlike with San Andreas' three countries. There must be some tweaks that can make the game a hell lot worse, or make it even look like an old school 3D Java game (not Minecraft). I did that before with my TF2 (its called Chris' Configs).

Also I remember that whole thing that IV was ported off the X360 and was so buggy, compared to if it was ported off the PS3. But to me, getting the ability to experience an entirely new GTA is something I wish for. Not to mention the realistic story and stuff like... the Liberty Statue (or its knockoff? Wait, it holds the "Hot Coffee" in her hand) heart.

However, to me, that set up looks good to other games... Rockstar must have slipped down their rock this time.

EDIT: I have another question... is the Intel Pentium G2020 better than the Core 2 Duo? For some reason, whenever the latter is mentioned on the "Can you run it" tool, the G2020 ALWAYS fails against it no matter how outdated or slow that Core 2 Duo edition is. For example it said I couldn't run Sonic Racing Transformed because of it, comparing it to... a Core 2 Duo with 2GHz or something.

Better or worse than Core 2 Duo?

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Die Hoodrat DIE!!!

• Members

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:37 PM

it depends on what you want to use the g2020 for. if it is gta iv which wasn't optimized for PC ever, then probably not. newer games might notice the increased instruction per clock performance. it does have a onboard graphics chip while still staying within the 55w tdp limit, as opposed to 65w core2duo that were CPU alone. the way, i was wrong, 5470 is just faster 5450 with same lousy 80 shader performance (80 ati/amd shaders different than 96 nvidia shaders)

Lukijs
  • Lukijs

Badump

• Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:05 AM Edited by Lukijs, 23 July 2013 - 11:09 AM.

Your video card isnt too good too ,I have same 5450 for my PC and AMD Athlon 64x2 2.8GHz vpu with 4GB ram and Win 8 Pro. I usually ran game with 1024x768 res on low-medium and get around 25fps. And thats why I prefer to game on xbox. Anyway ,how much that PC cost? These days for 500-600 bucks you can get solid i5 2.8GHz and equally good radeon 6670. If not,just get console,if you really wanna play it.

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

I don't live in the US, so this machine is about 2300 bucks. The i5 is also a 1000 bucks in here. And the console is not my choice either, its expensive as well as its games, plus I got the mouse...

But is 25FPS really that good for playing a GTA game? I know I'll have diminished visuals, but I certainly don't care. Getting my hands on Niko Belic is all what I want.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

It's pretty playable on 25fps I think.

SlaveZer0
  • SlaveZer0

Perveyor of Destruction

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

why oh why do so many even try to run this game on junk? get a real computer with a 64 bit os and try again... till then, no your system cannot run the game as it was intended to be

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

Look dude, not everyone can affort a SUPER MEGA COMPUTER. While yes, it's mostly cheap to get a really strong one, still, not everyone sh*ts money.

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (Th3MaN1 @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 18:30)
Look dude, not everyone can affort a SUPER MEGA COMPUTER. While yes, it's mostly cheap to get a really strong one, still, not everyone sh*ts money.

Exactly the case... if a 64-bit OS is what causes a game like GTA IV to be unplayable, my OS is 64-bit... duh. Looks like you didn't read the specs either.

And from what I hearing, I see it would run as it was intended to be on minimum, but that when minimum wasn't the thing... oh, the other computer in that sig wouldn't run GTA IV at all.

SlaveZer0
  • SlaveZer0

Perveyor of Destruction

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

my bad.....

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

No problem, just saying.

Extronic
  • Extronic

Disconnected from game session.

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (Diego "DM" Mendez @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 18:41)
I don't live in the US, so this machine is about 2300 bucks. The i5 is also a 1000 bucks in here.

This just cant be true, do you realize its like 10 times more expensive than its real price? Well unless youre living on some desolated remote island, which is highly unlikely. Consider a business of purchasing hardware somewhere in China/Taiwan and selling it at your place, could be of realistic profit. xD

Still, HD 5450 is kinda weak video card, thats whats gonna get you.

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

This is how world economics work... Duh. Why couldn't we humans agree on a unified currency all across the globe? A lot of the problems such as people unable to buy stuff of the internet (such as eBay and Amazon, with US prices) would be fixed. We're straying too far into economics though... by far I mean... too far.

Anyways, till now, the HD 5450 didn't show any signs of weakness... Its not like I wanna play Crysis 3 on it... If anything I see that the processor is a little behind the GPU, sorta, unless that's just me.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

But is 25FPS really that good for playing a GTA game?

For III, VC, and SA 25fps seems pretty good, however, to me it seems like with IV and EFLC, anything below 30 fps seems to be laggy for some reason? That is odd for me, considering I used to play III, VC, and SA on a very very low end laptop and it didn't bother me...Don't know what all changed between all the GTA Games to make it seem more laggy at 25 FPS(IV compared to previous GTA's)? I think it's a matter of personal preference on the fps level?

On that set up, you should be able to run the game on low settings just fine until you get the money for an upgrade. I just wouldn't use anything above Patch 4 on that set up, as I have read that Patch 4 is suppose to be the best one for lower-end machines? Do like I do, try to enjoy the game, it is a lot of fun(and I think it is a little easier on PC than on the consoles and looks better on PC as well) smile.gif

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

Well, 25FPS is 25FPS to me. As long as I get a nice experience even at the lowest settings, I'm in. I just hope its not a frame lower.

Meanwhile, being the ATI card user, I ran to one of the games tailored for me. I don't have to say it was the recent Tomb Raider (I got II a few days ago on Steam) and I scanned it using CYRI. I passed the minimum... but there's some rant I have about cards...

https://www.dropbox....gtombraider.png

Is it just me, or sometimes the CYRI tool isn't as accurate as I think? How can a 4870 beat a 5450? Oh, and apparently, the CYRI tool said I had the minimum processor, and it was compared to the "Intel Core2 Duo 1.86 Ghz (E6300)". So why does sometimes my processor manages to benchmark as something a lot worse than the very same Core 2 Duo?

Part of the reason I was asking here about GTA IV is how the CYRI tool played with me this way.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:09 AM

From what I have read here about the HD5450, and here on my HD5470, the ONLY real difference I noticed between the two is that the HD5470 is 25MHZ faster speed than the HD5450, OR am I missing something here? Just curious? confused.gif

But, I'm the same way Diego, as long as I get decent fps, I am fine playing on lowest settings if need be.. smile.gif

dansgas1000
  • dansgas1000

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (Diego "DM" Mendez @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 18:55)
Recently I got a new computer. That one in my sig? Its scrap now. I mean the following specs...

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5450 2GB
CPU: Intel Pentium G2020 2.9GHz Dual Core
RAM: 4GB

So far it seems like GTAIV would run on anything, however I'm not sure about the processor. Though it seems that the CanYouRunIt tool or whatever it was called has a grudge against my processor. For instance, how can a dual core 2.9GHz processor, released January this year, stand against a very old processor, the 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo? Another example of the grudge is that the tool told me that I wouldn't run Sonic Adventure 2 at recommended specs... when I run it though at 1360x768, and this is the only graphics setting in that game, I still get full speed... so?

It has a grudge against the CPU itself but not the speed... but still.

Do you think this computer would be the one to run GTA IV (whether be it on minimum or maximum settings)?

Don't mean to bump this old topic but a HD 6670 would be a good investment. Just make sure you have a decent 350w+ PSU.

Cheers smile.gif

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

So you're bumping an old topic to tell me to buy a new graphics card?

Its not a good investment because its not. Ignored.

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:21 PM Edited by Diego "DM" Mendez, 28 August 2013 - 07:24 PM.

Its been around 24 days since I last posted in here. Anyways. I got the game up and running! The settings are around low-medium, 20FPS in some heavy areas me thinks till now, and the game's working fine on patch 4.

Wait a second, what did I just say? GTA IV is running well on my machine? Why am I not playing it? tounge.gif

Well, its probably a little late, but thank you so much guys, especially radioman, with your helpful recommendations of getting patch 4 and turning those evil shadows off! smile.gif

But I also have another question. Is patch 1.07 more resource hoggy or something? I heard somebody said that this patch has no shadow issues. This all happens when you need money to shoot guys and make Niko fly off the windshield... with a keyboard and mouse.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

Well, its probably a little late, but thank you so much guys, especially radioman, with your helpful recommendations of getting patch 4 and turning those evil shadows off!

No problem i'm glad to help. It also helps that I too have a lower end video card to give suggestions better, I think? smile.gif

As far as Patch 7 goes, I have read it is more of a resource hog on lower-end systems, yet I have tried both Patch 4 and Patch 7 on my laptop(Patch 4 using the Retail (DVD) version and Patch 7 using the Steam version and haven't noticed any real differences-it could be that I also use the commandline that uses some system ram as vram, but not sure? The ONLY time I got terrible performance (nearly unplayable) is when I had NO patches installed.

I have Patch 7 (the Steam version) on my desktop that has Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, an AMD A6 Quad core processor, 4GB DDR3 RAM, and an AMD Radeon HD 6550 and get between 25-40 fps on Medium-High settings (mostly Medium though) with the memrestrict commandline..which is about the same I get on my laptop with the same settings and an Intel I5 Processor, 6GB DDR3 Ram, and an ATI Radeon HD 5470 video card. My laptop has the same OS as my desktop and also SP1. I have both the DVD versions and the Steam versions, yet only have the Steam version installed on both PC's at the moment. I just kept playing around with the commandlines and the settings to get the game running properly. I also make sure I set my PC's to "High Performance" under the power settings option. smile.gif

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

Of course I set my computer prior to high performance, and I agree with you on the game being unplayable with NO patches. The framerate was just too skippy until I placed patch 4 in place. I also overclocked my AMD card through Catalyst to max. I can see that setting a certain aspect of the game a little bit higher can ruin the framerate too... anyways, I'd try patch 7 sometime and pass the results. The one gripe I have against GTA IV is that the loading times at start is just too much, also I noticed my sis took much more loading with that Michelle girl... I'm afraid that long frequent loading times were Sonic 06's property.

I was gonna ask where the GTA IV saves go, but I found out that there's a Rockstar Games folder in my documents. But where are the saves exactly? I still can't see them.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

I was gonna ask where the GTA IV saves go, but I found out that there's a Rockstar Games folder in my documents. But where are the saves exactly? I still can't see them

For me, they are in the Rockstar Games folder in Documents-there is a folder in there called "Savegames"-this is cause I use the Xliveless tool. The normal save location is in the Appdata folder (which is usually hidden by default), so you will have to select the "Show Hidden Files/Folders" option in Windows to see them more than likely. This is the way I had to do it before I started using Xliveless. I started using Xliveless, as it was the only way I could save the game, as everytime I tried to save using Windows Live it would not let me, cause when I went to log into my account, it kept coming up with the message about an update being required, but I would go through the update steps multiple times and it still would not let me save, so I just used Xlivess to allow me to save like GTA III to SA. I too had this problem at first. smile.gif For some reason, IV and EFLC use the same save folder...

I don't understand why the loading time is so long when you first launch the game-it takes forever to get into the game, as compared to older GTA's?

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

Just updated to patch 7. I can't seem to notice any framerate differences. The problem that I forgot to mention is that the speed appearing fast then slow then fast then slow still retains, whether I was on 1024x768 widescreen or 1360x768 (my monitor's resolution). This is to say for a second it feels like its playing like SA used to play on my older computer, then gets slower for a split second then back. I used the xliveless dll anyways, thanks for bringing it up.

Now that Windows Live will be history in around a year, Rockstar has one final patch to put. Let's hope its big enough to fix the framerate issues this game loves. Either way, I like how GTA IV is going, and I like how the first area (I don't know what's the name of it) does well to remind me of Portland in III Liberty City. Mostly the dinner near Niko's place and somewhere under the tracks. I can't seem to understand what's wrong with this game until now, apart from losing hats randomly then finding its still in your place (a trait Mario's known of), and the fact that there are no upgrades for Niko like with every game since III (such as more health and armor).

SlaveZer0
  • SlaveZer0

Perveyor of Destruction

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:09 AM

QUOTE (Diego "DM" Mendez @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 21:30)
Just updated to patch 7. I can't seem to notice any framerate differences. The problem that I forgot to mention is that the speed appearing fast then slow then fast then slow still retains, whether I was on 1024x768 widescreen or 1360x768 (my monitor's resolution). This is to say for a second it feels like its playing like SA used to play on my older computer, then gets slower for a split second then back. I used the xliveless dll anyways, thanks for bringing it up.

Now that Windows Live will be history in around a year, Rockstar has one final patch to put. Let's hope its big enough to fix the framerate issues this game loves. Either way, I like how GTA IV is going, and I like how the first area (I don't know what's the name of it) does well to remind me of Portland in III Liberty City. Mostly the dinner near Niko's place and somewhere under the tracks. I can't seem to understand what's wrong with this game until now, apart from losing hats randomly then finding its still in your place (a trait Mario's known of), and the fact that there are no upgrades for Niko like with every game since III (such as more health and armor).

Niko's story is unique, he didnt get to be a big crime boss or anything, and in the end he has to make a choice that adds to the sadness of Niko Belic. his story is a modern trajety as well as semi success story...

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

I'm getting a bit about Niko's story, but I think I'm talking about some frame slowdowns, especially at night and when raining.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users