What happens when you die in free roam?

24 replies to this topic
The Sullinator
  • The Sullinator

DDMC

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

So I'm pretty sure I've read that when you die during a mission, it'll simply restart to the last checkpoint. But what happens if you die in free roam? Does it kick you to another character, or do you go to the hospital with the character you were controlling?

ChuckMorris84
  • ChuckMorris84

Chronic Crabs

• Members
  • England

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

I'd imagine that it'll just take you to the hospital like it's done in previous games.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

You die in real life.

03silverbullet
  • 03silverbullet

multiplaya4life

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

are you under the assumption that free roam is a mode you go into while in story mode?

greenrock
  • greenrock

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

checkpoints are only for missions

free roam is hospital

lolzz19
  • lolzz19

Peon

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

I could def see it as you auto switch to another character, and you can choose to at once switch back and be outside the hospital, or if you keep playing as another character, you will get a call where they ask for a ride home. To wich you can say yes or no, if no they'll simply make their way home by theirselves, if yes their relationship will improve.

Murad96
  • Murad96

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

So... when you die in a mission it now restarts to the latest checkpoint instead of allowing you to continue free roaming?

Nopheros
  • Nopheros

Cool, cool cool cool. Pew.

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

Hospital, or revert to last save game like in RDRedemption.

TheWordIsMarc
  • TheWordIsMarc

Marcus J

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

Unless it sends the player to hospital or prison (in arrest cases) for days then i don't want it to switch. I mean you could be Trevor fighting Lost MC but getting murdered everytime i dnt want it to switch me to Michael and then me get back to Trevor beating up cops outside the hospital.

evoluon--720
  • evoluon--720

Left Field

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

how would you guys feel if they do make the characters unplayable if killed or arrested for a few ingame hours or days and youre forced to play with another character? Giving some sort of consequence for getting your character into trouble and danger.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • Uganda

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

The same sh*t that has happened in every Grand Theft Auto so far, you spawn at the hospital.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE (03silverbullet @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 15:43)
are you under the assumption that free roam is a mode you go into while in story mode?

It has always been. Free roaming has been around for all GTA games - it's just playing in the sandbox rather than completing missions. He's asking what happens when off mission and you, for example, jump from a plane and don't pull your chute or crash a bike and die - what happens then, is what he's asking.

I am pretty sure you're referring to free mode for multiplayer, which you'll likely tap down to enter. But yea, free roam is how just messing around in the game without doing missions is called. Maybe you remember GTA III and having rampage sessions with friends (with or without rampage icon pickups - just killing time, having fun in the engine)

It'll have to be: The same as always - die and wake up at hospital (same as getting arrested)

or, it'll be something like one dies or gets arrested -> it goes to another or asks you who to go to perhaps.

It will be interesting to see how this is handled, among other things.

how would you guys feel if they do make the characters unplayable if killed or arrested for a few ingame hours or days and youre forced to play with another character? Giving some sort of consequence for getting your character into trouble and danger.

I'd like it. Especially if I can bust them out of jail or do things to help them heal faster in the hospital, like bring Franklin a blunt or bring trevor some meth or bring michael some bank blueprints. Who knows?

03silverbullet
  • 03silverbullet

multiplaya4life

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (brian. @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 20:12)

It has always been. Free roaming has been around for all GTA games - it's just playing in the sandbox rather than completing missions. He's asking what happens when off mission and you, for example, jump from a plane and don't pull your chute or crash a bike and die - what happens then, is what he's asking.

I am pretty sure you're referring to free mode for multiplayer, which you'll likely tap down to enter. But yea, free roam is how just messing around in the game without doing missions is called. Maybe you remember GTA III and having rampage sessions with friends (with or without rampage icon pickups - just killing time, having fun in the engine)

It'll have to be: The same as always - die and wake up at hospital (same as getting arrested)

ok, since he never came back in to answer, i'll take your explanation. he just had me thrown when he referred to running around outside of missions as free roam, when there is free roam mode available. i would have understood better if he said free roaming while in story mode.

with that being said, i don't see why death of a protag will or should be different for V.

JacoBee
  • JacoBee

Still waiting...

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Sleepy187. @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 20:08)
The same sh*t that has happened in every Grand Theft Auto so far, you spawn at the hospital.

Trund
  • Trund

I'm all of ach fo her

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (evoluon--720 @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 21:08)

Please no. It's a game, you shouldn't be punished for having fun.

Vagos MC
  • Vagos MC

Playa

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (TheWordIsMarc @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 20:04)
Unless it sends the player to hospital or prison (in arrest cases) for days then i don't want it to switch. I mean you could be Trevor fighting Lost MC but getting murdered everytime i dnt want it to switch me to Michael and then me get back to Trevor beating up cops outside the hospital.

I think that would be cool. Getting arrested and waiting outside a court room or prison. The idea would need to be looked into more but I like it.

groveSTREETfamily4LIFE
  • groveSTREETfamily4LIFE

Where am I?

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

You will have to buy a new copy of the game and start over.

jordanator88
  • jordanator88

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

The checkpoint system is lame

The Sullinator
  • The Sullinator

DDMC

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:54 AM

QUOTE (03silverbullet @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 15:49)
QUOTE (brian. @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 20:12)

ok, since he never came back in to answer, i'll take your explanation. he just had me thrown when he referred to running around outside of missions as free roam, when there is free roam mode available. i would have understood better if he said free roaming while in story mode.

with that being said, i don't see why death of a protag will or should be different for V.

Yes he's right, I'm sorry if I didn't explain that clearly. But yes free mode as in what you do while you're not in a mission like the other games.

I guess it's up in the air of what could happen, so it'll be interesting to see. I think it's likely it'll just send you to the hospital, but who knows. Doesn't that also skip ahead a few in game hours, so if that happens then the other characters will just get jumped ahead too?

Also by the way R* has described some things, for some reason it seemed like they improved the hospital a little bit. By that I mean instead of just spawning outside of the hospital, I pictured them waking up in a hospital bed, getting up, and walking out like that. Think that aspect could be improved to be a little more realistic, or do you think it'll be the same as before where you just spawn outside of the hospital.

I think I read that almost every single building and house has an interior design that you'll be able to explore, so I'm assuming that the hospital will be detailed. Then again there were hospitals in Sleeping Dogs that were large and you could enter, and you still spawned outside in most of them.

Karato2300
  • Karato2300

Silver man

• Members

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:56 AM

QUOTE (jordanator88 @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 21:49)
The checkpoint system is lame

How so?

I kind of like the idea of the game having checkpoints for missions. Means you don't have to retrace the steps you took to get back to where you had been killed. And let's face it, this is really annoying during especially lengthy missions. NO ONE wants to trudge through the same minutes long drive, skipping the cutscenes they've already seen, and then possibly have to do it all over again if they should perish yet another time.

latigreblue
  • latigreblue

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:07 AM

You hear the phone ring and this voice says, "Seven days..."

tator1
  • tator1

Tator Flowers

• Members

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:18 AM

The game automatically breaks itself & renders useless, therefore you must go buy a new copy, does no one read magazines these days anymore? Shew.

DrProfessor
  • DrProfessor

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

You won't be able to play as that character for another 12 real-hours...Unless you pay a microtransaction fee of $5.

GlenTempest
  • GlenTempest

I f*ck cats.

• Members

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 19:42)
You die in real life.

icon14.gif

Twiggy123
  • Twiggy123

HNIC of the NN

• Members

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (GlenTempest @ Thursday, Jul 18 2013, 09:00)
QUOTE (zombie elvis @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 19:42)
You die in real life.

icon14.gif

Oh? GTA V is gonna have a Warbutt gametype?

(Bad joke I know.....you'd get it if you watch videogamedunkey's channel though)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users