Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is this video an overexageration of Autism?

25 replies to this topic
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THIS ONE GOES OUT TO ALL THE RAVERS IN THE NATION.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:04 AM

I was browsing about on Youtube and I came across this British PSA video about Autism and stuff.

What I'm wondering about, however, is this video an overexageration of people with autism? My ex used to have autism, and that was fine by me. She didn't exhibit the traits in this video, which seems like staying quiet, over-analyzing things, imagining that people are yelling at them when in reality they aren't, etc. I know Autism varies from person to person, but is this video an overexageration of it?

stu
  • stu

I'm finished.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:14 AM

Lol, I don't think that was ever intended to be an accurate portrayal of what having autism is actually like. It's just trying to get the point across that people with autism perceive things differently I guess.

ryan_J
  • ryan_J

GTA FOR LIFE !

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:15 AM

This is a depiction of a severe case of autism but yes there are many documented cases of people who have autism this severe, one of the effects as you mentioned is wanting to stay quiet and this effect is actually quite common amongst autism sufferers. The other effects such as over analysing things and such are also quite common.

Effects can include:
- Lack of empathy for others
- Lack of interest in sharing, and the development of goals and achievements etc
- A need for routine
- Being intrigued by small parts and mechanisms

As you rightly said the effects of autism are different on everyone and its difficult to accurately tell which symptoms/effects are most common but the depiction in the video most definitely isn't an impossible situation. It is however definitely a much more severe case of autism than most.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:56 AM Edited by Lightning Strike, 17 July 2013 - 12:30 PM.

For a long time I have worked and lived with autistic children. I know how they react and how they think about situations like this and yes, that video there is a very accurate display of what someone with autism may feel in that situation, most of the children that I have worked with though are non-verbal. They do not know how to speak and are very dependent on those around them for nearly every one of their needs. Take their cognitive skills for example, they are exceedingly bad, so much so that even at the age of twenty they may be unable to perform an action as simple as buttering toast or cutting up their food, they are very different people mentally.

Someone who is so impaired would find it exceedingly difficult to cope or even understand the scale of this situation. Often autistic people seem to reside in their own little world, paying attention to only what they want when they want it, they seem to have a mental age equivalent to that of a three-year-old for their entire lives so having to take responsibility and phone the emergency services would take some doing and a hell of a lot of encouragment. That is of course assuming they know how to work a phone, or even have access to one.

This is not an over exaggeration of autism as much as it is a display of classic autism, not aspergers, not type one, not type two but classic autism. People who have classic autism are not verbal, they find it very difficult to respond to commands and pay no attention to those around them, seeing them as moving scenery rather than other people, events like a car crash would either bother them terribly to the point of physical outrage where they'd have to be forcibly restrained or they simply would not care and walk on without paying the slightest bit of attention to the event.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 06:04)
What I'm wondering about, however, is this video an overexageration of people with autism? My ex used to have autism, and that was fine by me. She didn't exhibit the traits in this video, which seems like staying quiet, over-analyzing things, imagining that people are yelling at them when in reality they aren't, etc. I know Autism varies from person to person, but is this video an overexageration of it?

It's absolutely not an overexaggeration. I know people who have autism, hell my own brother is autistic. It might be hard to understand what they think, especially when they are not able to speak, which is the case with my brother for example, but it's getting easier the more you know them; though, you can never be completely sure. Also, what Lightning Strike said is pretty much spot on, and I agree entirely.

Wolf of Badenoch
  • Wolf of Badenoch

Infrequent poster....

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 11:56)
For a long time I have worked and lived with autistic children. I know how they react and how they think about situations like this and yes, that video there is a very accurate display of what someone with autism may feel in that situation, most of the children that I have worked with though are non-verbal. They do not know how to speak and are very dependent on those around them for nearly every one of their needs. Take their cognitive skills for example, they are exceedingly bad, so much so that even at the age of twenty they may be unable to perform an action as simple as buttering toast or cutting up their food, they are very different people mentally.

Someone who is so impaired would find it exceedingly difficult to cope or even understand the scale of this situation. Often autistic people seem to reside in their own little world, paying attention to only what they want when they want it, they seem to have a mental age equivalent to that of a three-year-old for their entire lives so having to take responsibility and phone the emergency services would take some doing and a hell of a lot of encouragment. That is of course assuming they know how to work a phone, or even have access to one.

This is not an over exaggeration of autism as much as it is a display of classic autism, not aspergers, not type one, not type two but classic autism. People who have classic autism are not verbal, they find it very difficult to respond to commands and pay no attention to those around them, seeing them as moving scenery rather than other people, events like a car crash would either bother them terribly to the point of physical outrage where they'd have to be forcibly restrained or they simply would not care and walk on without paying the slightest bit of attention to the event.

Fully agreed.

GtaAndRdrFan
  • GtaAndRdrFan

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:18 AM

my cousin has aspergers which i think is a form of autism and his nothing like this his just shy and a little bit socially awkward around people he does not know but with me 1 on 1 he just seems like a normal Dude.

GtaAndRdrFan
  • GtaAndRdrFan

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 11:56)

they seem to have a mental age equivalent to that of a three-year-old << that is very harsh confused.gif

Greenline
  • Greenline

Page 3 Girl

• Members
  • Iran

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:26 PM

It does a better job than Lennon:

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE (GtaAndRdrFan @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 01:20)
they seem to have a mental age equivalent to that of a three-year-old << that is very harsh  confused.gif

No, it is not.

The boy in the above video is a prime example of what classic autism is, people who suffer from it are for the most part completely incapable, so much so that even forming basic words or letters is too much of a task for them. At the place I used to work at a number of the children would often be prompted to "use their words" because they either found talking incredibly hard, or just didn't see the point in it.

So to liken their mental age to that of a toddler really isn't a harsh thing to say, so much as it is a factually accurate thing to say.

Nlwt
  • Nlwt

• The Yardies
  • Lesotho

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 12:56)
they seem to have a mental age equivalent to that of a three-year-old

The video may not be an exaggeration but that statement is. I wouldn't say it's that low...

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:18 AM

QUOTE (NathanT @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 01:04)

The video may not be an exaggeration but that statement is. I wouldn't say it's that low...

It isn't always but it can be, there isn't just one form of Autism, it can vary in its severity.

Nlwt
  • Nlwt

• The Yardies
  • Lesotho

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:04 AM Edited by NathanT, 23 July 2013 - 10:47 PM.

QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 02:18)

It isn't always but it can be, there isn't just one form of Autism, it can vary in its severity.

To be honest I only know one person with autism personally.and I do sports with him. You can tell there is something there but he is capable of doing most things normally apart from communicating with people. He would always prefer you to make the first move/say the first word but once he knows you, he seems normal. One thing I have noticed though is that he hates loud noises and places, like whenever we do sports competitions, he gets distracted by the noise instantly and tends to go really quiet and kind of goes into his own little world of sorts.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 01:18)

Indeed, that is why I defined the type of autism as "classic", not type one or type two, or high or low functioning Aspergers but classic autism, which is exactly the type of autism that the non-verbal individual in the original video suffered from.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

ey b0ss, got skippy?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

Google Christian Weston Chandler. Have fun with that case of autism.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

QUOTE (theNGclan @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 02:21)
Google Christian Weston Chandler. Have fun with that case of autism.

Yeah, I remember that dude. "I'm cutting the internet down" and sh*t.

Shame he's virtually dead now. What's even worse are the fanboys over on /cow/ who are all like "LELELELEL JULLAY EPIC WEEN TROLLZ"

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

ey b0ss, got skippy?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

Yeahhh, I'm just gonna leave this here. I want to see what you guys think of this guy's case, I can't tell if he's autistic or just a troll. But you never know...

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE (theNGclan @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 02:31)
Yeahhh, I'm just gonna leave this here. I want to see what you guys think of this guy's case, I can't tell if he's autistic or just a troll. But you never know...

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Chris was faking it all these years. If so, he would be the greatest troll in all of history.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

ey b0ss, got skippy?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 07:35)

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Chris was faking it all these years. If so, he would be the greatest troll in all of history.

I really hope he is. But then again, you does show signs of cynicism. So he could just be cynical.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE (theNGclan @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 02:39)
QUOTE (universetwisters @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 07:35)

I really hope he is. But then again, you does show signs of cynicism. So he could just be cynical.

I know a good deal of funny people are bummed out and stuff. Robin Williams and Dr. Seuss suffer from depression, if I can recall.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 03:35)

Regardless of whether or not he's "faking it", he still a piece of human trash. He is a racist, pedophilic man-child who has no consideration for the people he interacts with. ZERO. His father was a great man and it's a shame he had to put up with that f*cking turd.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE (whatsstrength @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 03:03)

Regardless of whether or not he's "faking it", he still a piece of human trash. He is a racist, pedophilic man-child who has no consideration for the people he interacts with. ZERO. His father was a great man and it's a shame he had to put up with that f*cking turd.

I agree. Having autism is one thing, but refusing to work, mooching off the government, etc. because of it doesn't make you a really good person.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 08:07)
I agree. Having autism is one thing, but refusing to work, mooching off the government, etc. because of it doesn't make you a really good person.

If he actually suffers from autism then I see no issue with him taking those liberties, unfortunately I'm unsure as to who this man actually is. Some sort of psycho that's rather popular in the states I'm guessing so would someone kindly elaborate on who this guy is?

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:51 AM Edited by Fireman, 23 July 2013 - 11:07 AM.

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 08:50)

If he actually suffers from autism then I see no issue with him taking those liberties, unfortunately I'm unsure as to who this man actually is. Some sort of psycho that's rather popular in the states I'm guessing so would someone kindly elaborate on who this guy is?

He's famous on the internet. Doing a quick search on Chris-chan should bring up enough information (though probably all irrelevant to what you actually wanted to know).

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

I suppose it depends on how severe it is. I myself have Aspergers but can't imagine myself reacting like that in those sort of situations.

Ilikehotcrossbuns
  • Ilikehotcrossbuns

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (whatsstrength @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 03:03)

Well people with autism don't really understand concepts such as morality or communal responsibility, so I don't know where you're going with this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users