483 replies to this topic
GTA-iFruit
  • GTA-iFruit

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

user posted image

I have a bone to pick with Rockstar.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of the Grand Theft Auto series, and Red Dead Redemption is one of my favorite games of all time, but I am still not happy with the company. Despite producing fantastic experiences within the past decade, there is one thing that bothers me most about the games that they have made: none of their major franchises features a single female protagonist. Sure, there was a game published by the company in 2001 called Oni, but other than that, there has been no substantial account of a woman as a lead in twelve years.

I'm sure that anyone reading this could imagine my disappointment when Rockstar announced in November of last year that there would be not only one, but three male protagonists in Grand Theft Auto V. The GTA series has been under fire for countless years by the media and gamers alike for their treatment of women. Rockstar completely missed one great opportunity to fix their somewhat challenged view of women in their games with a chance to diversify the series. Simply casting a woman in place of one of the three men would have been not only pretty badass, but also a step in the right direction for femininity in games, in which the industry so desperately needs right now.

user posted image

I know it is not entirely Rockstar's fault. Generally, when met with a choice to play as a male or female in a game, men will pick a man. Why wouldn't they? Playing as a man in a game portrays an extent of their identity. When I am given a choice, I always play as a woman. Why? Because I want to be able to relate to my character on a personal level. I love having that choice, considering I am constantly forced into playing as a typical male character in most other situations (see: majority of main characters in games within the past twenty years).

Rockstar just wants the majority of its fanbase to feel comfortable in their character's skin. With the massive rise of female gamers recently, I'm a bit confused as to why the developer wants to isolate a large portion of its newfound audience. If players are given a choice, is it really a detriment to the story as a whole? Mass Effect seemed to pull that off just fine. So why is it that GTAV, which seemingly makes character transitions easy and quick, make it so that none of these characters are women?

A quick Google search has shown me some particularly unflattering comments about women in games as a whole, which is expected. When I searched specifically for female protagonists in Grand Theft Auto, I came across comments such as this:
user posted image

"Not cool enough?"

Offensive remarks aside, how cool does one character have to be to fight, cheat, steal, and kill their way to the top of the underground? If it is a "coolness" issue that needs to be addressed, then i would most certainly assume that this user does not know the likes of some of the most badass women in history. Anne Bonny. Annie Oakley. Belle Starr. All of these women are fantastic examples of how "cool" a female with certain choice skillsets can be. Why can't there be a modern day virtual equivalent? Take Julie D'Aubigny, for example. Julie, also known as La Maupin, was a bisexual opera singer and master swordsman during 17th century France. This girl was dangerously fierce and most definitely worth a Wikipedia read. You could make a game about any of these women, and it would still be just as rad as the new Grand Theft Auto.

user posted image
No big deal… just illegally dueling a man to the death. Carry on.

find it fairly upsetting, as a woman who was born and raised on video games, that I have such a minimal amount of representation in the medium that I am so passionate about. A missed opportunity means a lot when it comes to the future of women in this industry. Will we ever see any female take on the Grand Theft Auto series? To be blunt, probably not. Keep in mind that I am still excited to buy and play GTAV come September… I'm just hoping that the phone girl makes a surprise appearance as the fourth playable character, bikini or not.

user posted image

http://www.ign.com/b....rockstar-too-2

Dale Nixon
  • Dale Nixon

methane on my mind

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

go watch oprah or something, brah

ScotchMouth
  • ScotchMouth

Single malt no ice

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

Didn't we just close one of these

III H1TMaN III
  • III H1TMaN III

The Silent Assassin

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

Girls are just so annoying..

wink.gif

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

user posted image

Backfire6
  • Backfire6

༼ຈل͜ຈ༽

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

It'd be great to have a female lead character actually. I support it.

1PunchKnockOut
  • 1PunchKnockOut

I'd shag your mum on the 1st day

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

I didn't read that sh*t but Ive got a feeling its got something do with women being just as tough as men etc... why cant there be a female protagonist its 2013 etc...blah f*cking blah SHADDUP BITCH.

Masher8559
  • Masher8559

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

I prefer to play as male characters, so i don't really care about the lack of playable female characters.

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

Cry me a river.

And no, I'm not sexist. It's just that this writer sounds really whiny. Not that I would have anything against a female protagonist in later games though.

123-bob
  • 123-bob

Thug

• Members

Woman lead characters and also black lead characters are not in many games purely because the average gamer is a white male aged 16-35

Korisselys
  • Korisselys

Homie

• Members

inb4 lock

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

Quick question would adding a female protagonist make GTAV a better game? Because it just seems like people are suggesting it to sound different and controversial.

Let R* do what they do I'm sure there will be a game in the future more suited to a female protagonist who knows it could be Agent.

Durden
  • Durden

The annoying voice in your head

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

The foundation for the article seems to be that there are plenty of female gamers arising recently. This is very untrue, as mobile games do not count as real games. Why should R* use a female lead in a GTA game? Because a bunch of teenage girls play Angry Birds on their phone sometimes?

Using generally uncommon character choices such as LBGT or female characters should be due to the fact that it makes sense and enhances the storytelling narrative in a way otherwise impossible if using a traditional male protagonist. Having a unique character like that should be for a good reason that makes sense, not just for the sake of trying to make that type of character more socially acceptable.

Dale Nixon
  • Dale Nixon

methane on my mind

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (1PunchKnockOut @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 18:09)
I didn't read that sh*t but Ive got a feeling its got something do with women being just as tough as men etc... why cant there be a female protagonist its 2013 etc...blah f*cking blah SHADDUP BITCH.

word.

Seriously though, this thread is retarded: women aren't even as involved as men in this type of crime, realistically speaking. However there obviously are some and these are even featured in GTA games just not as the main protagonist and that seems to be your problem. Just like anything, crime has its own hierarchy and whatever you think of it, it's mainly a man's world. If I write a story I write the story I want to write about and if this is a male orientated story, then so be it. It's not sexist or misogynistic to not include a female main character simply because you can. Are Rockstar racist for not making the main character a Afghani male? no, it's not the direction they want to take.

Famous-CLS
  • Famous-CLS

'Verve

• Members

Rockstar might feature a female protagonist in a future DLC and you can probably also create a female character in Grand Theft Auto Online.

RandomNoun
  • RandomNoun

Li'l G Loc

• Members

It's just not a woman's world. Plus the audience for Rockstar games are primarily male. And such games that have female protagonists are usually about the gimmick or the sex appeal. I'm not sexist ... or maybe I am, (who knows?), but a female lead just doesn't fit. In RDR Rockstar did a good job of portraying strong female characters (Bonnie, Abigail), but if RDR's protagonist had been a woman, it would've ...

Actually, can't be bothered having this hopeless debate again.

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:14 PM Edited by reform, 16 July 2013 - 06:57 PM.

Don't expect and reasonable or mature feedback here GTA-iFruit.

Admitedly we have had several threads on this subject in the past, and they, on the whole, went downhill fast, just as this appears to be doing already.

For what it's worth though, I completely agree with you, on more or less every point.

EvilFuture
  • EvilFuture

To Harm and Withhold™

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

I agree with that comment you found. I think a female protagonist just wouldn't fit the GTA series. I'm not just saying this because I am a male, I'm saying it because just think about it...

Have any of you changed your online character to a female before? It just doesn't feel right. Imagine playing as her during the story.

Butt But I will agree with something. Imagine if somebody would have asked us before GTA V was even thought about "What about three protagonists that you can switch between any time?" I'm sure most of us would have said it just doesn't fit the GTA series, as with a female protagonist.

So, if the time comes to where there is a female protagonist, I'm sure most of us will get used to it and maybe like it.

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

its not rockstars fault, if fans wanted a female protag then there would of been a female protagonist by now.

ChatterBoxFM
  • ChatterBoxFM

★★★★★★

• Members

Who cares. Show me some titties and I might play.

RandomNoun
  • RandomNoun

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (Dale Nixon @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 18:13)
QUOTE (1PunchKnockOut @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 18:09)

word.

Seriously though, this thread is retarded: women aren't even as involved as men in this type of crime, realistically speaking. However there obviously are some and these are even featured in GTA games just not as the main protagonist and that seems to be your problem. Just like anything, crime has its own hierarchy and whatever you think of it, it's mainly a man's world. If I write a story I write the story I want to write about and if this is a male orientated story, then so be it. It's not sexist or misogynistic to not include a female main character simply because you can. Are Rockstar racist for not making the main character a Afghani male? no, it's not the direction they want to take.

Well, yeah, this exactly.

Going against the grain just makes no sense. What kind of a woman would even fit the GTA protagonist role?

2spooky4u
  • 2spooky4u

Mayor of LS

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

I support the idea of a female character in GTA V, but it's not your world. It's the game developers choice who gets in the game and who doesn't, and RandomNoun is right: Rockstar's primary audience is males, and males can be sexist, so they wouldn't add a female character in the first place because of their primary audience. Now, I know there's Bonnie and Clyde types, but when has there been a huge gangster that's female? Sure, there's more rights for women, but if you wanted to get a female character in the next GTA game, you'd end up with someone like Elizabeta, a stupid black gang banger and you wouldn't end up with some white, cool, mafia type because that's not the style of Rockstar. Please stop f*cking whining about the character choice in the game and accept that it's likely not going to happen. Rockstar's not even going to read your thread.

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

GTA's main audience is male, we want to be able to customize our guy to look how we'd want to look (most of the time). With I woman character, men wouldn't give a sh*t/ have a clue/ dress them slutty as they can.

Ilikehotcrossbuns
  • Ilikehotcrossbuns

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

As I recall, GTA 3 had well rounded female characters in it.

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (josephene123 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 18:17)
With I woman character, men wouldn't give a sh*t/ have a clue/ dress them slutty as they can.

Speak for yourelf.

lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

they belong in the kitchen. not video games.

Decardo
  • Decardo

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

Why would I want to play as a female?

ScotchMouth
  • ScotchMouth

Single malt no ice

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (Gregers08 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 13:12)
Quick question would adding a female protagonist make GTAV a better game? Because it just seems like people are suggesting it to sound different and controversial.

Let R* do what they do I'm sure there will be a game in the future more suited to a female protagonist who knows it could be Agent.

I have to agree with your second sentence. People just want to break norms even if it doesn't make sense to. Something different for something different's sake

TonyResta
  • TonyResta

Tony Resta

• Members

Women don't have that criminal vibe to be honest, and even if they can be dangerous on the same level, they're not as intimidating and less respected in the criminal world.

EvilFuture
  • EvilFuture

To Harm and Withhold™

• Members
  • None

QUOTE (lazloisdavrock @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 18:19)
they belong in the kitchen. not video games.

Is that joke even still funny to people?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users