GTA 5 'much faster' than its predecessors

64 replies to this topic
DlZZEE
  • DlZZEE

PC peasant

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

Rockstar North president The Benz told Jeuxactu (translated by OXM): "We want to surprise people with very intense missions from the start. The pace of the game is much faster than any of its predecessors.

"From the beginning, we want to show off the new game mechanics while creating intense, action-packed gameplay, to capture the player's attention immediately.

"Remember that the three characters in the game are already living in the city of Los Santos and surrounding areas," The Benz added. "They are not newcomers like Niko and Tommy Vercetti, or people returning after a long absence like CJ.

"They already have contacts, they are integrated with the world and lead a busy life - these characteristics should give players a sense of immediate and total immersion."

The Benz went on to say that GTA 5's three main characters won't all be playable from the outset.

"We want to give the player the opportunity to get to know the three characters individually, and explore the world as each of them, and it would not have been possible if all three had been available from the start."

Source: http://www.computera...s-predecessors/

ed72o
  • ed72o

Thug

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

Way too many stupid threads
I need a vacation sad.gif

m8son
  • m8son

Boom goes the dynamite!

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

Sounds good to me

lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (ed72o @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 12:07)

how is it stupid? grow up

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

The game needs to get here quicker. That or more info. bored.gif

NatTwenny
  • NatTwenny

Dude guy

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

Not a stupid thread. Good info, thank you.

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

This topic isn't useless, there is new info indeed, most notably the fact that the three characters won't all be playable from the start.

UncleVlad
  • UncleVlad

Vice City Stories!

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (PrometheusX @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 16:12)
This topic isn't useless, there is new info indeed, most notably the fact that the three characters won't all be playable from the start.

Yes, so I believe it means that Michael will be the first playable character, thus the most important protag.

Masher8559
  • Masher8559

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

Interesting, i was under the impression we would be able to freely pick which missions to start with each character from the start.

Good info.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

I was under the impression that Michael had just moved to LS. mercie_blink.gif

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (UncleVlad @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 16:14)
QUOTE (PrometheusX @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 16:12)

Yes, so I believe it means that Michael will be the first playable character, thus the most important protag.

Yeah. The first mission could be the one shown in the previews a while back which starts with Michael himself cycling around Rockford Hills after the cutscene with his family members if I remember correctly.

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Big Homie

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

http://www.gtaforums...pic=566066&st=0

DlZZEE
  • DlZZEE

PC peasant

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (Fisciletti @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 19:48)
http://www.gtaforums...pic=566066&st=0

Someone moved the thread, I posted it in the main section.

Crumplet
  • Crumplet

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

I really like that they introduce the protagonists one at a time, I was hoping they would and they are so that's really neat,
however I'm a little uncertain about the approach of making it fast paced from the start, I mean hey don't get me wrong I love it when the games pick up and it's intense and action packed, but the slow ease at the beginning is something I've always loved, it somewhat elegantly pushes you into the peak of the game/story.

Regardless, if they're going to change the tone in such a big way, I'm sure they'll do it fantastically, I just hope they give us players just a little bit of breathing space before they jump into the hectic stuff, they'll probably give you about 2-3 mellow missions before it gets crazy.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

I personally would much rather it be this way. Like they said, I want an incentive to get to know each character

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

the middle of nowhere, the centre of everywhere.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:19 PM Edited by Red XIII, 16 July 2013 - 05:23 PM.

QUOTE (ed72o @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 16:07)

Stupid thread? Have you seen your stupid avatar? waay too many stupid avatars going around.

OT: I wonder if leslie means faster pace as in running speed, driving speed and general pace of the game or is he on about the pace of the story?

haarp
  • haarp

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

this.

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

Yeah thats a good point deff.

Can you picture starting out as Michael , get to know things about him, but once once you're free to do what you please you instantly switch to trevor without knowing much about him or an introduction. Wouldnt make too make sense to me.

nigelhere9901
  • nigelhere9901

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

"The Benz went on to say that GTA 5's three main characters won't all be playable from the outset."
Wow, that was unexpected.

Dick Valor
  • Dick Valor

Cold Ass Honky

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

Anyone else concerned this "much faster" comment implies that V will be more rushed and much shorter than its predecessors? I always liked how you gradually worked your way up to the big gunfights in past GTAs (and RDR). You really savor every new weapon, mechanic, player contact, and other form of progress. In games where you start off with plenty of action and weapons (like SR3) the novelty wears off pretty fast. Also, these games tend to be short since there is no where for the game to go progress-wise.

It's reassuring that we have to unlock (presumably) Franklin and Trevor after a few missions, but I'm still a bit worried that the pacing in V will feel rushed and, sadly, accommodate the ADHD players at the expense of those of us who prefer a long game.

ChrissDaMan
  • ChrissDaMan

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

Just like your stupid avatar..

Cameron
  • Cameron

💯

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

I kinda liked the slow start that GTA 4 had.

I like a beginning where you're thrown straight into the action though, but it has to be done well.

Something like an introduction to Los Santos, you see a helicopter flying along a freeway with 10 cop cars chasing a 9F.
Then the screen flashes and you're in the 9F and you get a hang of the driving. That's a good start.

A bad way to start the game with action imo is Saints Row 2. Don't get me wrong, SR2 is good, but the intro was just kinda crappy. It looked like it wanted to be dramatic and action packed but tbh it wasn't. SR3 had a good intro mission though.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

Capitol Crusader

• The Connection
  • Ireland
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2015
    Contribution Award [GTA Online]
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Top c*nt 👍

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

Nice, I like it, good find icon14.gif

Nopheros
  • Nopheros

Hopplös Kanin

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

Cool, although I usually like slow beginnings.. But I have a feeling this is gonna be good, I wonder what we'll do for the first missions for Michael.

Dominik1411
  • Dominik1411

Peon

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (haarp @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 17:21)

this.

You 2 are the same guy... and both stupid btw. Didnt read OP huh?

Intstringeger
  • Intstringeger

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

I also like the build up of previous games, but I don't think this means we'll step into a gang war right away but that we won't have to unlock all the activities and shops one mission at a time like before; instead, everything will be available from the set go because these characters already know the city and have contacts.

ScotchMouth
  • ScotchMouth

Single malt no ice

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (DizzeeXL @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 11:05)
Rockstar North president The Benz told Jeuxactu (translated by OXM): "We want to surprise people with very intense missions from the start. The pace of the game is much faster than any of its predecessors.

"From the beginning, we want to show off the new game mechanics while creating intense, action-packed gameplay, to capture the player's attention immediately.

"Remember that the three characters in the game are already living in the city of Los Santos and surrounding areas," The Benz added. "They are not newcomers like Niko and Tommy Vercetti, or people returning after a long absence like CJ.

"They already have contacts, they are integrated with the world and lead a busy life - these characteristics should give players a sense of immediate and total immersion."

The Benz went on to say that GTA 5's three main characters won't all be playable from the outset.

"We want to give the player the opportunity to get to know the three characters individually, and explore the world as each of them, and it would not have been possible if all three had been available from the start."

Source: http://www.computera...s-predecessors/

Thanks for this post.

It sounds great. I like the fact that they are easing us into it. I partially expected it to be honest. It's essential for character development and to immerse us with that character.

Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

It'll be quicker to get to beefy missions, but we won't have full control over the characters at first? That's a bit of a contradiction.

Kill Frenzy!
  • Kill Frenzy!

Skilled Driver

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

I don't understand. From who was that quote from the very first trailer 'I came here because of the waether?"

Wasn't Michael from Liberty City or San Fierro? sarcasm.gif

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

I wanted to open this thread 10 hours ao. but then saw its already in the Preview Database.

So I dont know why open a new Thread about it...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users