Quantcast

» «
Photo

All protagonists won't be playable from the start

141 replies to this topic

Poll: Which character do you think we will start with? (679 member(s) have cast votes)

Which character do you think we will start with?

1. Michael (600 votes [91.60%])

Percentage of vote: 91.60%

2. Franklin (43 votes [6.56%])

Percentage of vote: 6.56%

3. Trevor (12 votes [1.83%])

Percentage of vote: 1.83%

Vote Guests cannot vote
ChatterBoxFM
  • ChatterBoxFM

★★★★★★

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (Cobra2012 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 08:10)
All Three Main Characters Won't be Playable From the Start
Posted by Ryan at 15:42. Category: General

Recently, Rockstar North President The Benz conducted an interview with the French Gaming website Jeuxactu. Now today, thanks to Offical Xbox Magazine, we have some English snippits of the interview!

We want to surprise people with very intense missions from the start. The pace of the game is much faster than any of its predecessors. From the beginning, we want to show off the new game mechanics while creating intense, action-packed gameplay, to capture the player's attention immediately.

Unlike previous GTA's where main characters such as CJ from San Andreas or Niko were newcomers to the city, Michael, Franklin, and Trevor are not.

They already have contacts, they are integrated with the world and lead a busy life - these characteristics should give players a sense of immediate and total immersion. That said, all three main characters won't be playable from the start. We want to give the player the opportunity to get to know the three characters individually, and explore the world as each of them, and it would not have been possible if all three had been available from the start.

Found on GTA 5 net

icon14.gif Good.

Nemesis2252
  • Nemesis2252

Arch Enemy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

ive suspected this for a long time now. personally i believe the game starts as one of the first GI previews said. Michael has a fight with his wife and takes the car, michael (now you playing) hops on the bicycle and rides into town. from there i believe you drive down to see the therapist and have a session with. maybe he sends you on a few tutorial missions for michael to 'clear his head'. then when the session is over, michael waits at the bus stop for transport where franklin and lamaar walk up to him (as seen in trailer 2). this puts you in the shoes on franklin and do a repo job to get you used to driving... do a few missions for franklins repo company i would imagine. somehow transition back to michael who receives a call from the FIB who tell him its time to pay the debt for the 'sweetheart deal' in a sense, needing him to pull off a small heist of some sorts. michael knows he needs help and the only person he feels he can trust is trevor, his former partner. drive out to meet him and he's having a conflict with some of the lost members, getting you used to some shooting

or something of that like. it has a few holes but i could honestly see the game starting out like this

Gigabomber
  • Gigabomber

Infinite Ammo Amorous

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

Annoying. I'm 30 years old, I don't need any handholding at this point. They had better speed up the tutorial this time or I'll, I'll, play the game anyway.

EvilFuture
  • EvilFuture

To Harm and Withhold™

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

It would make the most sense, because we've seen in the trailers that Michael and Franklin first meet, then Michael introduces Franklin to Trevor later on.

I'm thinking that Michael will be the first protagonist that we have access to. After all, he basically is the main protagonist. Then, he will want to get back into the life of crime, so he calls up his old bank robbing buddy, Trevor... You know the rest.

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

Doesn't bother me. It'll help me to get used to each character more.

paarman
  • paarman

Los Santos' Dark Knight

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (meson1 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 12:04)
QUOTE (Fisha695 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 17:55)
QUOTE (meson1 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 12:15)
You know what these GTA games are like.  You get a tutorial mission for more or less everything in the game; and that will have to include the character switching.

Secondly, there's also the issue of the narrative.  The storytelling will probably work best by starting with one character and use that character to introduce you to the other two as part of the story.  Basic stuff really.

Yup I have a feeling it'll go;

Start with Michael
-- 2 or 3 missions introducing you to the basic controls & features of the game including biking
-- Meet up with Trevor
-- Character switching tutorial

Move to Trevor
-- 2 or 3 missions that introduce you to the rural part of the map, diving & flying planes
-- Meet up with Franklin somehow

Move to Franklin
-- 2 or 3 missions that introduce you to racing, customizing cars & customizing the characters & possibly skydiving

From there you go onto the regular non-tutorial part of the game.

Actually now that I think of it maybe Trevor at the start of the game works for a local skydiving company as a pilot (this is the plane tutorial) and Franklin is one of his clients, he takes him up and right before you dive you're forced to switch to Franklin which begins his intro with a skydiving tutorial.

Actually, trailer 2 shows us Michael introducing Franklin to Trevor as "the son I never had."

Trailer 2 also shows us Franklin meeting Michael for the first time when Franklin asks him which house somebody lives in.

So Michael meets Franklin before then introducing him to Trevor. What is unclear is how we are introduced to Trevor, but it must surely be via Michael.

Same trailer, same scene you are referring to he introduces Trevor as his best friend.. I assume the obvious that they already know each other, and also the way he interacted with Michael's family... Especially his wife "Nice new tits by the way"... That would imply he saw them previously lol.gif

Outplug
  • Outplug

PSN: Headphenomenon

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

Judging by the original Game Informer preview, I'm going to say Michael. Then we'll get Franklin. Then Trevor. Seems like an obvious order since these are generally listed in this order, but this is what I think.

lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (Outplug @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 16:09)
Judging by the original Game Informer preview, I'm going to say Michael. Then we'll get Franklin. Then Trevor. Seems like an obvious order since these are generally listed in this order, but this is what I think.

that and mike and frank live rather close

RonDutch
  • RonDutch

Anarchy 99 Holland @SocialClub

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

I dont have a problem with it, I do have a "problem" with them telling this now close to the release. The have been promoting the "three protagonist" scenario like crazy and its a bit hacky to now go "Well you cant play with them from the start"

StellarFish20
  • StellarFish20

Pow.

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

I think Michael will be the first protag available.

I'm glad that all of them won't be playable from the start, it gives me time to get the feel of each character.

swedishwolf
  • swedishwolf

GTA V September 17 2013

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

The game will start with Michael and you will be presented to Trevor and Franklin during Michaels sessions with his therapist. Thats my guess after watching the character trailers.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (meson1 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 17:04)

Actually, trailer 2 shows us Michael introducing Franklin to Trevor as "the son I never had."

Trailer 2 also shows us Franklin meeting Michael for the first time when Franklin asks him which house somebody lives in.

So Michael meets Franklin before then introducing him to Trevor. What is unclear is how we are introduced to Trevor, but it must surely be via Michael.

That's the vibe I've been getting.

I think that Michael meets Franklin after he's come out of the shrink's office, then after the cut scene you repo the car as Franklin.

BullworthAcademy
  • BullworthAcademy

Can't wait for Red Dead Redemption 2!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:55 PM Edited by theomenofficial, 16 July 2013 - 09:59 PM.

EDIT: Wrong thread.

Also key to the whole immersion gambit is the game's sense of realism. GTA 5 trailers suggest that a large amount of violent lunacy is in store, but The Benz insists that all of it will be plausible, carefully framed by the plot. "You won't see anyone doing crazy things for no reason. The player will have access to enough heavy artillery early in the game, but again, in a particular context and not without reason."

Dick Justice
  • Dick Justice

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:42 AM

First three missions: Michael acclimating to his new lifestyle, tutorial in general gameplay - learn how to drive, shop, etc.

He then runs into Franklin down at the beach and the character's perspective shifts, we can now play as Franklin, occasionally shifting between the two but not all that much. Franklin eventually runs in to Michael again when he goes to repossess Amanda's car.

The two become friends and we get our first tutorial in double-protagonist missions. Michael, now in the life again, reacquaints himself with his old friend Trevor. Done.

10 missions or so in and we have all three protagonists.

Omar777i
  • Omar777i

☆☆★★★

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE (Wheatley @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 15:50)
I think you'll play as Michael first then you get to beach and give Franklin and Lemmar directions to the house where Franklin reposes the car. Michael witnesses this and asks Franklin to join his crew.

-Wheatley

I see it that way to. icon14.gif

Tommys_Hawaiian_Shirt
  • Tommys_Hawaiian_Shirt

Employee of the Month

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:45 AM

QUOTE (man dragon @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 01:42)
First three missions: Michael acclimating to his new lifestyle, tutorial in general gameplay - learn how to drive, shop, etc.

He then runs into Franklin down at the beach and the character's perspective shifts, we can now play as Franklin, occasionally shifting between the two but not all that much. Franklin eventually runs in to Michael again when he goes to repossess Amanda's car.

The two become friends and we get our first tutorial in double-protagonist missions. Michael, now in the life again, reacquaints himself with his old friend Trevor. Done.

10 missions or so in and we have all three protagonists.

I second this idea.
Trevor should be saved for last, being the wild card.

Sept17th2013
  • Sept17th2013

Cracker

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

Everybody sucks Michael's dick so much here...

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

I could have sworn back with Game Informer's December reveal on V, they mentioned the question of the map being open from the start and they said how Trevor has his pilot licence so essentially as soon as you start the game you can fly a plane, so long as you can find one. That meant that Trevor is open at the start. Anybody remember that quote?

I guess on the other hand, it just further suggests that all players will be unlocked within the first dozen missions.

rodrich266
  • rodrich266

Shut up, sit down, relax

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

You know, this actually makes sense, guess we will finally know how all the characters meet then?

This will be a good thing I think, we get to know each one first and then we get to know how they all end up working together, I want to know how Trevor and Michael know each other

DeadZombie
  • DeadZombie

Sons Of Ditka - Leader

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

Personally I believe we start as Mike, Mandatory.

He goes through his initial stuff like walking through his house daughter is exercising watch the tv. Goes out to the back pool area. Starts drinking. Picks up a leaf and throws it. Relaxes.

Then jimmy asks if he wants to go on bike ride or he asks him.

They go through key areas showing off the town and then the pier. He talks about midlife crisis bullsh*t.

Then the son gets pissed and takes off and mike goes to sit on. Bench Down by the water. (Near berto beach house) pans out to Franklin getting out of his house. Greeted by Lamar they go about driving to berto beach house as Franklin suggest this is how he goes legit. Get a real job. Then they stop and talk more and walk down the beach area and he starts saying he's cool.

Franklins going cool what sling dope and throwing up gang signs? Then they ask mike where berto beach house is. They go about finding the car and stealing it. Mike then begins to pursue him. Franklin freaks out but loses him. Mike is impressed and starts to plan on going back into the game. But he's gonna need a pilot. Pans out to Trevor taking a massive dump and so goes his part

That's just my idea. Mind the grammar I'm on a phone.

Chewie
  • Chewie

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:29 AM

I am fine with this completely. I think it would be overwhelming to explore the city with 3 characters at first. I want to focus as one character and explore Los Santos before I start to do the main story. I think we will start off as Michael, then meet Trevor and then Trevor and Michael will look for someone who is worthy enough to be a 3rd heist partner. It's shown in the 2nd trailer when Michael walks right passed to Franklin when he is asking for directions.

Revolution-XW
  • Revolution-XW

LuisWayne

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

Oh no.

I don't want to be forced to be in Michael's annoying ass house with his stupid family, please no. facedesk.gif

K20
  • K20

suckmyrocket

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (Revolution-XW @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 07:41)
Oh no.

I don't want to be forced to be in Michael's annoying ass house with his stupid family, please no. facedesk.gif

dude you have a gun. slaughter them... you'll get peace

GroundZero
  • GroundZero

Previous Username: Bull12345Bull

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

It's pretty obvious that we will start off as Michael, although there is a slight chance of Rockstar allowing us to select which character we will start the story with...

AlexJonesConspiracy
  • AlexJonesConspiracy

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

it'll be michael. he'll be playable from the start. no complaints, i like the idea

Matty
  • Matty

• Australia

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (Bull12345Bull @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 21:58)
[...] although there is a slight chance of Rockstar allowing us to select which character we will start the story with...

I somewhat have a feeling that this is what Rockstar is going to do.

As opposed to forcing the player to start the game as any one protagonist - allow the player to select which protagonist they want to start the game playing as when a new game is started. Of course, just so long as the introductory missions would still be the same for each individual protagonist - regardless of who we choose to start the game as.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Big Homie

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

I kind of already expected that. that good news too, id rather focus on characters separately.

Dick Justice
  • Dick Justice

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE (DTUMan @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 11:28)
[...] although there is a slight chance of Rockstar allowing us to select which character we will start the story with...

As opposed to forcing the player to start the game as any one protagonist - allow the player to select which protagonist they want to start the game playing as when a new game is started. Of course, just so long as the introductory missions would still be the same for each individual protagonist - regardless of who we choose to start the game as.

But don't you think that defeats the purpose? If the missions are going to be the same no matter who you choose, then the only difference between the three will be superficial. Seems to be exactly why Rockstar have chosen to introduce them separately.

And to the person who said he doesn't want to be forced to play through Michael's family dramas, then tough luck, you're going to have to anyway because it's a big part of the story, it doesn't matter if he's the first introduced or the last. I hate to be that guy, but if you don't like it, then don't play.

RonBWL
  • RonBWL

Brave Wholeheartedly Loser

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (DTUMan @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 18:28)

That won't happen, you can't force Franklin into family issues like Mike or Trevor to go gangbang like Frank

If this ever happens, I believe it will be so that all protagonists have the same introductory missions to basic elements (driving/shooting/key features) in their own environment. When you finally meet up with the other, the introductory missions will be skipped or becoming flash-back missions, without info tips telling you what to do since you already did other intro missions set

*Clutch*
  • *Clutch*

Peon

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

First i bet Michael. Then Michael meets Franklin, when Franklin comes to his neighbourhood to steal a car. Then things develop and Michael introduces Franklin to Trevor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users