Photo

A question for foreign players

56 replies to this topic
TwistedMedia
  • TwistedMedia

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (Werebot85 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 09:19)
QUOTE (TwistedMedia @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 11:15)
QUOTE (Werebot85 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 09:13)
No. I'm from South Africa, but I grew up watching American movies, playing American games, etc. I sometimes have difficulty understanding British slang tho lol.gif Some of the stuff they say are weird and confuses me. Even tho I grew up watching british stuff too... No offense my British friends smile.gif

Don't gimme all that pony, Or I'll leave you in a right 2 and 8 lol.gif

Exactly!!! Whatever you said...

Haha, translation:

please refrain from the less than truthful tone of your sentence, or I will be forced to leave you in a less desirable condition than you would ideally like to be in.

Argon
  • Argon

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

I have never played a game dubbed in my native language. It sounds incredibly corny, and the voice acting is just terrible. Also, I used to use subtitles (In English, never in my own language) for those noisy action scenes, but I stopped doing that 2 years ago because in games like Skyrim, Mass Effect and GTA's I tend to look at the bottom of the screen, instead of the characters emotions. Whenever I see a foreign reviewer or gamer on a youtube blog using not only foreign subs, but also voice-voice over, I stop looking. It seems to be a trend especially in Germany, and boy hearing a German Shepard is just hilarious. The only problem I'm having (rarely), is when an American voice actor is trying to force an Italian/Russian accent to play a Italian/Russian mob guy, but is still talking English. Those corny accents are sometimes a bit hard to get.

But to get more on-topic, no, I don't mind having the USA as a central point. The Netherlands isn't nearly as interesting. All Dutch movies/series are terrible, and American tv is just everywhere. I wouldn't be too proud of GTA's setting in the USA, because it's a British product of mockery, and although IV was more serious, it's always parodying your crazy culture.

michaelpece
  • michaelpece

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (Dr Zoidburg @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 08:51)
does it bother you that all popular games revolve primarily around American locals, culture or military units

The game is set in AMERICA, and the characters are generally AMERICAN - why would they be speaking with British words..? And no it's not confusing.

Argon
  • Argon

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE (michaelpece @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 09:40)
QUOTE (Dr Zoidburg @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 08:51)
does it bother you that all popular games revolve primarily around American locals, culture or military units

The game is set in AMERICA, and the characters are generally AMERICAN - why would they be speaking with British words..? And no it's not confusing.

Who and what are you trying to quote? And there are plenty of British folks in the GTA's. I find British slang way harder to understand than American. (Please don't start the America/USA argument)

GTA fan from the United Kingdom
  • GTA fan from the United Kingdom

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

I have no problem understanding American, and no it dosent bother me. In fact I quite like the American humor. However I would like to see a GTA set in the UK one day.

NikoBellic1993
  • NikoBellic1993

Peon

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (Palm3 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 08:08)
I like it being based on USA. I have played Sleeping Dogs which was based in Japan (I believe) and I thought is was boring..

A European GTA would be fun to play though..

Lol, since when is f*cking Hong Kong based in Japan ? And they say americans lack knowledge.

MrSelfHater
  • MrSelfHater

Awaiting GTA V on PC

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

Why not make a poll?
And no, I have no problem with that

GeckIXProductions
  • GeckIXProductions

IX

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

I'm Australian and no I don't care...

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Legendary

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

I live in the 51st State and no I don't have a problem understanding American language or culture.

/Tuomaz
  • /Tuomaz

都真寿

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

No...

InfiniteTias
  • InfiniteTias

GTA Veteran

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

No.

American Language and humor is much better than British humor and language.

stobe187
  • stobe187

Thug

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

No trouble at all.

20+ years playing video games and being a movie nerd teaches you a lot of english - american and british.

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Legendary

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (InfiniteTias @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 10:14)
No.

Blasphemy!

Skozza89
  • Skozza89

Peon

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (Dr Zoidburg @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 07:51)
I have a question for you GTA players outside the US. Do you ever have any trouble understanding American idiom or phraseology in these games? Such as different terms for things your use to (elevator instead of lift, ect.). Also, does it bother you that all popular games revolve primarily around American locals, culture or military units (yes im aware that foreign units are heavily featured in the various COD games, im speaking in general terms)?

Im not trying to spark a nationalist argument here. Im genuinely curious.

No, Im British so its not like its a completely different language lol

InfiniteTias
  • InfiniteTias

GTA Veteran

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (tom_p1980 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 10:18)
No.

Blasphemy!

Haha, sorry but that's just how i feel. No offence xD

stobe187
  • stobe187

Thug

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (tom_p1980 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 13:18)
No.

Blasphemy!

I couldn't agree more.

American comedy shows as a whole are utter crap when compared to their british counterparts.

I'm not saying that America doesn't have funny people, because it totally does. But the taste of the general public is f*cking horrible: big bang theory, 2 and a half men, four assholes and a couch...

All so damn generic and clinical that there is no flow to the lines. The comic timing is so f*cking calculated that it hurts.

W2B
  • W2B

Is Awesome!

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:38 AM Edited by Werebot85, 16 July 2013 - 10:46 AM.

QUOTE (TwistedMedia @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 11:22)
QUOTE (Werebot85 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 09:19)
QUOTE (TwistedMedia @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 11:15)
QUOTE (Werebot85 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 09:13)
No. I'm from South Africa, but I grew up watching American movies, playing American games, etc. I sometimes have difficulty understanding British slang tho lol.gif Some of the stuff they say are weird and confuses me. Even tho I grew up watching british stuff too... No offense my British friends smile.gif

Don't gimme all that pony, Or I'll leave you in a right 2 and 8 lol.gif

Exactly!!! Whatever you said...

Haha, translation:

please refrain from the less than truthful tone of your sentence, or I will be forced to leave you in a less desirable condition than you would ideally like to be in.

Oi Blimey, that's the dog's bollocks, that is! That's naff! I'm gonna get sloshed and throw a wobbler you wonky wazack!! biggrin.gif

I actually have no idea what I said but I said it anyway (I heard wazack on Takeshi's castle lol)

Maglev
  • Maglev

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

GTA is just more fitting in America. With their gunlaws, gangs, sub-urbs, ghetto's, most travel by car etc.
Also most people will be familiar with the charachters and culture.

GTA in other places wont have all those things.

UK67Mac
  • UK67Mac

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

I dont have a problem anymore cuz my english is really good (thanks to the internet and WWE Shows). But I still look at the subtitles..probably because Im used to it..

I like the USA (the county itself, not the government and some ppl), so I dont have a problem at all with the setting.

I just hate how Games like CoD are always pro-USA.. I mean theyre always the 'good' guys. The games are set in every country, but never in the USA...always f*cking up other countries..

the nameless
  • the nameless

R*

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

We in the UK get enough of your culture rammed down our throats and are aware of the butchery to our language enough to know the differences. Ha ha, nah just kidding, I am aware that language must constantly evolve for people to, and that Anglo-Saxons would consider modern UK English as a butchery of thier language.

Thier is enough American culture in most places to not think it strange to hear "steal a garbage truck" or "tomayto". The only American term that refuses to stay in my brain no matter how many times I hear it and figure it out - it is gone next time I read it or hear it, and that is in telling the time when you say quarter OF 2 etc. We never say the word OF, we say quarter PAST (12.15) or quarter TO (12.45).

Naturally, Us English do get annoyed with one or two changes to pronunciation, most commonly Alluminum instead of Alluminium (as in most other soft metals: CalcIUM, SodIUM, MagnesIUM etc.), and Jagwar instaed of Jag-you-ar.

Whislt there is a small debate on British V American Comedy, I must wade in and defend my country. English comedy shows are on a whole other level. Sure, every now and then you get an American comedy that gets it right (Cheers, Friends, Family Guy, Early Simpsons etc) but we get Comedy Central and some of the trash on that is appauling. Mike & Molly, Whitney, 2 & a half men, The US office - I HATED the UK version of the office even more than I HATE Ricky Gervais, but the US version, I would rather have a labotomy than watch that.

In terms of Comedians, there are a few really funny American/Canadian comedians, Rich Hall is my favourite.

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Well you can sort of call GTAs humour British humour too since the game is made by Scots that make fun of Americans.

shifty66
  • shifty66

[TCKC] Capo

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (Bonfy @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 08:22)
QUOTE (Dr Zoidburg @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 10:15)
QUOTE (CM_Kimmy @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 08:10)
I liked The Getaway which was set in London but it held no atmosphere at all,

I enjoyed The Getaway as well, but I agree about the lack of atmosphere. It just didn't have.... it.

In regards to subtitles, does it ever get distracting or take away from the "flow" of the game to have to read them?

Yes it sometimes does. The worst part is when I'm doing some driving with Jacob, be it in missions or not. I just can't understand him, so I either have to read subtitles or totally ignore what he says. Reading subtitles really distracts me from the driving/flying or whatever I'm doing at the moment.

Provate a leggere alcuni libri American Crime. O la visione di spettacoli come "i sopranos" per aiutare slang americano.

And nah i love it, america is a melting pot of culture and with the italian mafia portrayed in games like GTA and just growing up with american culture basically makes it feel normal.

TakinThyBacon
  • TakinThyBacon

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

As an American that has done some world traveling, I can say that most other countries are not as ignorant of other cultures as we are of them. We tend to think that Merica is the only country that exists, just look at all the stupid arguments over who drives on the wrong side of the road and who speaks proper English turn.gif

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Playing GTA is no different from the countless Hollywood movies and TV shows that I've seen. American culture is everywhere nowadays.

Nopheros
  • Nopheros

Cool, cool cool cool. Pew.

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

No, I don't mind it at all.
And I like NYC and love LA so it's perfectly fine.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

To me its just another form of media based in America. One of GTA's big things is that it takes the piss out of American culture so it wouldn't really be the same in terms of humour if it was set somewhere else. I always kind of wondered if it's difficult for non native english speakers to get the humour but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Target13Productions
  • Target13Productions

Member of the Row

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

I pretty much understand everything. & i like GTA to be set in the United States, then we get to see your cities fall apart. just kidding! Sorry for being offensive.

anyway, i think America makes a great setting for GTA. but not always. From time to time, its good to have a GTA in Rio maybe....or Tokyo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users