Quantcast

» «
Photo

Could Rockstar make a war game?

45 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you guys think Rockstar could make a decent war-based game? (79 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you guys think Rockstar could make a decent war-based game?

1. Yes (53 votes [71.62%])

Percentage of vote: 71.62%

2. No (21 votes [28.38%])

Percentage of vote: 28.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:31 AM

Don't call it a "call of duty" ripoff or anything.

Do you guys think, if Rockstar was up for it, they could make a war-based game, or a game based in a war setting? I guess Agent could count, but then again, Agent's basically vaporware now. It would be cool to see what kind of war game they would make. Would the base it off a real-life war, like the Bosnian war or Vietnam, or would they make up their own, like the Australian-American war in GTA?

Emhyr
  • Emhyr

Dragon Age

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:37 AM

If anyone can do it...it's Rockstar. They are really serious when it comes to making games and I'm sure that would be amazing. I can only imagine how good the story would be.
Maybe they'd finally convince me to start playing that genre of games.

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:24 AM

A war game with Euphoria physics would be the bomb

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Forum Drunk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:28 AM

Agent will probably be the closest to a 'war' game you'll ever see from Rockstar being that it deals with espionage during the Cold War. They're more for the unique genre of games.. but if Rockstar ever made a war game.. I'm curious to see how it goes, I doubt it would be as good as some others out there but might be worth taking a gander.

Futo
  • Futo

Yeah i'm busy, call me back!

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:59 AM Edited by Futo, 16 July 2013 - 03:04 AM.

Rockstar can make a great game in any setting. They always nail the themes they are trying to create.

Saying that I would'nt wanna see them do a war game coz its been done to death. I want an espionage game from them (whether it be Agent or not) and something in ancient Japan would be quality by them. Also maybe a game based on blaxploitation films.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:04 AM

QUOTE (GunWrath @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 02:28)
Agent will probably be the closest to a 'war' game you'll ever see from Rockstar being that it deals with espionage during the Cold War. They're more for the unique genre of games.. but if Rockstar ever made a war game.. I'm curious to see how it goes, I doubt it would be as good as some others out there but might be worth taking a gander.

I heard Agent was a open world game set in the cold war. It doesn't really seem like a war game but a GTA in the past.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Forum Drunk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:08 AM

QUOTE (redx165 @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 22:04)

I heard Agent was a open world game set in the cold war. It doesn't really seem like a war game but a GTA in the past.

Like I said, the closest to a war game. That's even if they ever finish developing it.

Conal123
  • Conal123

The Irish Brigade

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:14 AM

Any R* game = Epic.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE (GunWrath @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 22:08)
QUOTE (redx165 @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 22:04)

Like I said, the closest to a war game. That's even if they ever finish developing it.

I highly doubt Rockstar will ever finish agent. They just announced way back then, a few screenshots were leaked about two or so years ago, and that's literally it.

If Rockstar would make a war game, though, it could be about one of those mercenary dudes who's working for a huge corporation, like Love Media from III. Not only that would be a good shift away from these war games nowadays where the player is part of a country's armed forces, but it could also give Rockstar an excuse to use different settings and locations for the plot.

DeSantaIsGay
  • DeSantaIsGay

Gta Iv And Red Dead Redemption = Perfection

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:20 AM

Possibly playing as niko During his war?

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE (DeSantaIsGay @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 17:20)

And we'd know exactly what was going to happen the entire time?

DeSantaIsGay
  • DeSantaIsGay

Gta Iv And Red Dead Redemption = Perfection

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:36 AM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 04:34)

Perhaps So but i still think it would Be Interesting Myself. smile.gif

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

QUOTE (DeSantaIsGay @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 17:36)

But we know exactly what's going to happen to the squad. And Niko talked a bit about his experiences so we don't need to explore every detail.

Maybe a Yugoslavia game where Niko and co are side character but I don't think it would fit into the satirical GTA universe.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 23:40)

But we know exactly what's going to happen to the squad. And Niko talked a bit about his experiences so we don't need to explore every detail.

Maybe a Yugoslavia game where Niko and co are side character but I don't think it would fit into the satirical GTA universe.

Maybe a Yugoalv war could fit, and even if it's set in the GTA universe, it doesn't have to be satirical. Manhunt was in the GTA universe, and I rarely laughed.

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:52 AM

Isn't Agent supposed to be set during a war period or are my facts mixed?
They better bring it back to the surface soon for next gen. It's been hidden for
waaaay too long.

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:56 AM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 17:48)

Maybe a Yugoalv war could fit, and even if it's set in the GTA universe, it doesn't have to be satirical. Manhunt was in the GTA universe, and I rarely laughed.

Disagree. Manhunt may not have been funny but it certainly had the GTA edge to it. Starkweather w*nking over all your kills? A guy who dresses as a pig and kills people? All the ridiculous gangs of Jason Voorhees? Its hard to imagine a serious, realistic game set in the same world as GTA.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:58 AM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 23:56)
QUOTE (universetwisters @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 17:48)

Disagree. Manhunt may not have been funny but it certainly had the GTA edge to it. Starkweather w*nking over all your kills? A guy who dresses as a pig and kills people? All the ridiculous gangs of Jason Voorhees? Its hard to imagine a serious, realistic game set in the same world as GTA.

Understandable, but the concept of Manhunt isn't as satirical as, say, GTA, despite having cheeky comic relief, like you mentioned. Manhunt is basically about survival, so there isn't really nothing funny about that (aside from comic relief). GTA is about rising up the criminal ladder, which undoubtedly has it's quirky figures.

acmilano
  • acmilano

Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

As someone who survive Yugoslav wars,i rather not see game set in that setting. I couldn't even play mission in Syphon Filter game that was set here. I understanded then how people in Vietnam,Afghanistan,Iraq and other countries feel when they see their homes blasted in some games.Of course people outside the Balkan wouldn't mind.
Rockstar already show us war setting in Red Dead Redemption with Mexican Revolution and fights between Army and Natives in West Elizabeth. They could use expirience and maybe finnaly made a good WW1 game. Combat in Arab Rebellion in 1916 was similar to Mexican Revolution with horses and similar weapon,and it could be following Lawrence of Arabia. Russian front and Russian Civil War was also similar. Also games like Mercenaries,Saboteur and Far Cry 2 and 3 shows how sandbox war games could function in modern setting.

Claude4Catalina
  • Claude4Catalina

being a fag since '07

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

I could see Rockstar paying homage to Vietnam War flicks pretty well; given who films usually portray it as a f*cked up situation, I'm sure Rockstar could put a touch of GTA IV's humour into it. After seeing their war flashback scenes in LA Noire, I'm confident it could work as a third person shooter with a few free roam aspects; give the player a base camp similar to The Warriors hideout, have a firing range/armoury where they can practise with various weapons and upgrade their arsenal (follow the primary/secondary/equipment FPS idea) the player could then chose their weapon and basic customization (M16 could have taped mags, bipod and taped handguards to reduce movement noise) before they head out on a mission, the mission icon being at the base camp Command Post, the player could also kill time by running patrols with their squad or hanging out in the EM hooch's. base camps could vary from dug in positions with a simple landing zone and foxholes or Da Nang-like airbases.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

Only a historic war.

They did something awesome with Red Dead Revolver, some of the later levels having all out war with troops.

Something either World War 1, or a less chaotic World War 2 themed game could work.

Personally I am still waiting for a DECENT god damn Vietnam game. But nobody wants to ever touch that war. Rockstar could do something good with it, but it will be some lame ass story driven game as usual.

I want a GAME not some made up bullsh*t with no references. I cannot stand it when developers think their storyline plot is anything other than just a reason for the gameplay. It is NEVER interesting or worth it, (Excluding MGS games).

I miss the days where all there was for story was a loading screen when you boot the game that gives you all the info you need then tells you to get on with it.

I think the "Modern Warfare" style games have totally had it and they should f*ck off.

Unless they are 100% realistic or introduce decent gameplay and are at least not interactive linear movies that suck.

Mr.Mordecai
  • Mr.Mordecai

To be, or not to be. That is the question.

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

Hmm, I think Quentin Tarantino's new movie concept of black soldiers going "ape-sh*t" would make a GREAT plot of a R* game.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

I think anything Rockstar turn their hand to would be good.

Claude4Catalina
  • Claude4Catalina

being a fag since '07

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (Daz @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 09:57)
Personally I am still waiting for a DECENT god damn Vietnam game. But nobody wants to ever touch that war. Rockstar could do something good with it, but it will be some lame ass story driven game as usual.

I want a GAME not some made up bullsh*t with no references. I cannot stand it when developers think their storyline plot is anything other than just a reason for the gameplay. It is NEVER interesting or worth it, (Excluding MGS games).

I think that's where Rockstar would do well with the references. they've got a good grip on pop culture and could easily link in real life events, for example in 1986 to explain how long a Marine Sergeant has been in country, they could refer to Operation Starlite by saying 'yeah, Sarge's been here since Starlite' or to give a Major bit of background information, he could be said have 'held the line at Inchon with a carbine and a few frags.' these kind of real world make it feel more like a immersive part of the war in 1968 rather than simply an example of what could have happened. the kind of dialogue in Tour of Duty and Generation Kill are prime examples.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

If they'll ever make a detailed model of a gun, that would be a start.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

I think it would work, a shooter/war sandbox using the 3rd person and a setting few times used, aka an hypothetical 3rd World War in the Cold War (sorry ladies, thanks to World in Conflict I'm obsessed with that) or the 'Nam would be quite innovative.

Add some iconic cities (which R* do quite good) with some countryside, enemies patrolling/trying to take objectives (which you'd have to defend, as well as make the enemy going back) and you'd have a dynamic gameplay instead of the thypical linear shooter. Thanks to the GTA engine there could be a big variety of vehicles to use (from tanks to choppers), explosions, decent animations and so.

I've already tried to make something similar with GTA IV, just retexture a bunch of peds, install some realistic weapon mods and let's start the war cool.gif

user posted image

Claude4Catalina
  • Claude4Catalina

being a fag since '07

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

in regards to what RoadRunner71 said about iconic locations, I'm sure Rockstar could get enough references photos to recreate Khe Sanh Combat Base and Hue City whilst maintain artistic freedom to create small villages, hamlets and landing zones. See how well the countryside hunting of GTA V pans out, if it has the same flair as Red Dead Redemption, I could see Rockstar being able to do Vietnam very well.

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

I think it's beautiful that you are 256 colors too.

• Zaibatsu
  • Somalia

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

Rockstar, save us from linear as sh*t military shooters.

gionascm2
  • gionascm2

Pedantic Perfectionist with a slight case of OCD

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

What is wrong with people voting 'no'? R* would not take on a new venture unless they're confident they can do it justice. Say all you want about any of their games like MP3 or Bully, but those games were great overall experiences that accomplished exactly what R* wanted them to accomplish.

If R* ever chose to make a war game, I believe they could make something really innovative that stands out from all the others. Otherwise they would not set out to make such a game.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (gionascm2 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 18:31)
If R* ever chose to make a war game, I believe they could make something really innovative that stands out from all the others. Otherwise they would not set out to make such a game...

... which they haven't.

gionascm2
  • gionascm2

Pedantic Perfectionist with a slight case of OCD

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (Fireman @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 15:37)
QUOTE (gionascm2 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 18:31)
If R* ever chose to make a war game, I believe they could make something really innovative that stands out from all the others. Otherwise they would not set out to make such a game...

... which they haven't.

...Which proves my point. If R* could not make a proper war game, they wouldn't make one. They haven't.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users