Quantcast

» «
Photo

Far Cry 4

929 replies to this topic
AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 20:01)
I'd like to see a return to the African savannah and potentially desert. Some tinpot African state like the Central African Republic forming the basis.

As long as it doesn't turn all brown and dirty, that's what made FC1 and 3 so fresh and fun, the lush forest and colourful, interesting environments. FC2's world was so bland that it makes me nervous or another desert setting. I think Niger could work though to be honest, I'm sure they could work it out somehow.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

Jumping the gun a little here are we?

It is a mention of they will make another not that it exists. We don't even have a screenshot yet.

Personally aside from the awesome gameplay, the story of FC3 sucked anus, hated all those characters and it made no sense at the end, most stupid sh*t I have ever seen.

I would much prefer to hear news of:

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon 2: Vietnam War 2

I want to get me some cyborg vietcong scum.

GTA-Bobski
  • GTA-Bobski

Freeroamer

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 08:21)
One improvement I want in this game is of course the lack of fun you have when you've taken out all the outposts.  I think over time, they should be recaptured, a la San Andreas and it's gang wars.

Patch 1.05 release notes:

user posted image

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE (Don Garcia @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 22:25)
It's odd, I kinda loved Far Cry 2 even though 98% of people hated it. Damn near everyone loved or at least enjoyed Far Cry 3, but I didn't bother with it and it really didn't excite me at all.

I don't get it. Maybe I just preferred the African setting and Heart of Darkness narrative of 2.

Maybe you're just a hipster.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Peeling potatoes like a pro

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 08:01)
I'd like to see a return to the African savannah and potentially desert.

This. Basically a Far Cry 3 in Far Cry 2 setting is my dream FPS. Far Cry 2 was one of the most immersive games I have ever played, despite it's flaws.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

QUOTE (DeeperRed @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 08:03)
QUOTE (Don Garcia @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 22:25)
It's odd, I kinda loved Far Cry 2 even though 98% of people hated it. Damn near everyone loved or at least enjoyed Far Cry 3, but I didn't bother with it and it really didn't excite me at all.

I don't get it. Maybe I just preferred the African setting and Heart of Darkness narrative of 2.

Maybe you're just a hipster.

That would specifically make him NOT a hipster.

FC3 was the whole douche crew that you are refering to.

FC2 was actually awesome, and would have been a far better game or even more popular if it wasnt for the fact it was just so damn tedious to play, gameplay wise.

Aside from my savegame getting corrupted twice, having to collect all 224 diamonds TWICE, and still having it glitch on me and not getting the achievement for the second time. It was tedious because you couldnt save when you wanted, meaning any african running you over, f*cking up because of malaria or just basic movement of getting around took f*cking AGES.

This was the only real downfall of FC2, let us save whenever, or fast travel to any hideout and it would have helped greatly.

It was just a combination of things, guns jamming and exploding, running out of pills, having to go back and forth 3-4 times just to do one mission. Endless spawning enemies at cleared checkpoints, anything could kill you and send you back to your save 3 hours ago.

That is why people hated it and it is unplayable. It was amazing other than that.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

As long as FC4 isn't like FC2 then I'm happy. I'm glad FC3 was better. I really did enjoy that game and it felt beautiful and fresh.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

You go OTB more than me man!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE (Don Garcia @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 23:25)

Far Cry 2 was great, but hard as hell. Every single outpost was a challenge. I'm proud that I've finished it.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (DarkKingBernard @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 21:52)
QUOTE (Don Garcia @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 23:25)

Far Cry 2 was great, but hard as hell. Every single outpost was a challenge. I'm proud that I've finished it.

It was a challenge because they kept respawning all the freaking time. You clear one out. Not to mention the broken stealth, tedious malaria, boring story etc I could go on all day.

Its not a terrible game by no means but it was very flawed. They pretty much fixed everything in FC3, the stealth and gameplay was so much fun. And say what you will about the story, at least its doing something original and creative instead of another bland boring military shooter, doing the same thing over and over again.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (OchyGTA @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 00:09)
Well a few years back, before Far Cry 3 was officially announced, rumors were circulating that it would be set in the Arctic. Obviously it turned out not to be the case but I'm sure it was a concept at one point. An Arctic setting, if done right, could be very, very interesting. Failing this, I'd enjoy a Central American setting or even a return too Africa.

I can't really see a Far Cry set in the arctic, though I guess it would be something innovative and interesting to see.

Central America would definitely be a good location, there has always been many conflicts. Drug cartels, revolutionary guerrillas, paramilitary forces, even CIA was involved during the Cold War. At least I hope the storyline isn't like the FC3 one, which to be honest, was kinda dumb.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:00 AM Edited by AceKingston, 16 July 2013 - 11:25 AM.

Actually I would love to see an arctic FC game rather than the tropical island setting. It'd be interesting roaming the icy land and stuff but that would be hard and I don't think that'll happen.

Also saying 'the milking begins' when we haven't got any info about the release date yet, is pathetic. Sure AC and Watch Dogs are going for yearly releases now but I can't see that happening with FC. If it did, I'd be really disappointed, we don't need another 2 or 3 Call of Duty's. But if the game is good, I'm not bothered.

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

I was never a fan of FPSs (although i still despise them) until I played FC3, so this makes me excited
  • gajrajgchouhan likes this

sublimelabs
  • sublimelabs

The Jimmy Rustler

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

I'm stoked. Expecting/hoping the map to be extremely diverse this time, I wanna see the next-gen consoles shine. Snowy regions would be fantastic if it felt dynamic.

Including a hardcore mode that makes gameplay like Far Cry 2 (minimal UI, totally immersive) would be awesome. The UI in FC3 got ridiculous.

I appreciate the story in FC3 for doing something different than the typical AAA FPS, but I felt like it was trying too hard. Had a great concept, but like almost every Ubisoft game (IMO) it fell flat. Though I'll admit there were some great set pieces. For FC4 I hope the story takes itself less seriously and keeps the message more subtle.

Durden
  • Durden

Jack's blatant honesty

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

I just tuned into the series with FC3 (as I'm sure many others have). I loved every second of it, and I will definitely be picking up FC4. Can't wait to hear more about it, and see how it utilizes the next-gen technology! colgate.gif

---------------

Regarding the 'milking' issue, Ubisoft do have a good point. In today's industry, its pretty pointless to create a new IP without plans to make it a franchise. Sure, more gamers are being recruited every day, but video games are becoming way too expensive to make. By re-using some resources, games can be released quicker & cheaper, which nets the company more profit.

I just hate annual games. I am fine with 2 year intervals like Battlefield, but I despise annual franchises like AC/CoD. I hope that games like Far Cry, Watch Dogs, and The Division never become annual releases.
  • gajrajgchouhan likes this

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (gionascm2 @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 18:24)
I just hate annual games. I am fine with 2 year intervals like Battlefield, but I despise annual franchises like AC/CoD. I hope that games like Far Cry, Watch Dogs, and The Division never become annual releases.

Agree. All of those games' sequels should be released with at least 2 year intervals, instead of just 1 year.

OchyGTA
  • OchyGTA

Rap game GTA forums

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

As long as the end product is enjoyable, I couldn't give a crap how short the development cycle is.
The only issue with annualising a franchise is that it might suffer from a lack of innovation, a la CoD. Personally, I haven't seen that issue occur with AC as they've managed to introduce at least one new significant gameplay mechanic, and engrossing story in every sequel.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:34 AM

Here are a few things that I think were better in Far Cry 2 than Far Cry 3.

1. Vehicles in multiplayer. They added a dynamic to the game that hasn't been touched by many other FPS games aside from Battlefield, UT, Halo, and a few others.
2. Gun emplacements in the map editor. I don't know why Ubisoft Montreal added emplacements on their official maps for Far Cry 3, but then they kept them out of the editor.
3. The day and night cycle. Far Cry 3 actually has a pretty bad day/night cycle. Time passes way too fast. Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the cycle progresses while you move and stops when you stop. I like the "real time" in Far Cry 2. Didn't like it? Well, you could always head to your hideout to change the time with your handy watch.
4. Healing animations. Some might see this as "silly", but one of the largest appeals of Far Cry 2 to me was all of the relatively gruesome healing animations. There were too few of them in Far Cry 3.
5. The 3D world map. This was a neat, little detail in Far Cry 2. You could view the map without having to pause the game, and I'm not just talking about the minimap.
6. Weapon degradation. I know many people hated this, but I thought it was pretty good feature. It gave the game more of a "survival" aspect where supplies are relatively limited. I do think it could have been toned down a bit though.

Aside from those, I do find Far Cry 3 to be the vastly superior experience, and I've had more fun with Far Cry 3. However, some of those things in my list should return to the series in the next title.
  • Daz likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

You go OTB more than me man!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

Only thing I hated in FC2, was the broken hipfire accuracy!

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (Zancudo @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 00:29)

Agree. All of those games' sequels should be released with at least 2 year intervals, instead of just 1 year.

Watch Dogs is going to be a yearly release too. If the game releases every year but it's still decent I won't bother. I find it pretty annoying when people assume yearly releases to be the same because COD is. Not every game is like COD. True AC III might have been disappointing for some, but other than that the series is a masterpiece, despite being yearly releases. The only change in COD meanwhile is the story, if the story was the same too, I wouldn't buy COD at all.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (AceKingston @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 10:38)
QUOTE (Zancudo @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 00:29)

Watch Dogs is going to be a yearly release too. If the game releases every year but it's still decent I won't bother. I find it pretty annoying when people assume yearly releases to be the same because COD is. Not every game is like COD. True AC III might have been disappointing for some, but other than that the series is a masterpiece, despite being yearly releases. The only change in COD meanwhile is the story, if the story was the same too, I wouldn't buy COD at all.

Where did it say WATCH_DOGS will come out every year? I know that Ubisoft has a ten years plan with that franchise, but does that necessary mean they'll already release a sequel in 2014?

Andreas
  • Andreas

• V Staff
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

If they already announce the next sequel for the Far Cry series now, then I hope they won't release it as early as late this year or early next year. The whole annualizing of franchises needs to stop. I would rather play a super amazing title every three years than play an average title every year. I would get pretty tired of the latter one, and stop purchasing any games of that particular franchise. I don't hope FC will suffer from the same fate as AC and CoD do, but we will see. I should finally play FC3, too bad I don't play videogames anywhere as much as I used to...
  • ROCKGTASTAR likes this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 18:43)
If they already announce the next sequel for the Far Cry series now, then I hope they won't release it as early as late this year or early next year. The whole annualizing of franchises needs to stop. I would rather play a super amazing title every three years than play an average title every year. I would get pretty tired of the latter one, and stop purchasing any games of that particular franchise. I don't hope FC will suffer from the same fate as AC and CoD do, but we will see. I should finally play FC3, too bad I don't play videogames anywhere as much as I used to...

The only AC that was a bit below par IMO was AC III (Still a decent game IMO) but other than that the series is amazing, especially II and Brotherhood despite being yearly releases. I'll just quote my other post to complete my sentence as I'm to lazy to type it down:

QUOTE (AceKingston)

@Zan: Someone stated it in the Watch Dogs topic with a link, I'll tell you when I find it.

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (AceKingston @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 13:26)
The only AC that was a bit below par IMO was AC III (Still a decent game IMO) but other than that the series is amazing, especially II and Brotherhood despite being yearly releases. I'll just quote my other post to complete my sentence as I'm to lazy to type it down:

Revelations was a great game, but it wasn't anything new, where as the first Assassin's Creed was a good concept that was executed extremely poorly.

II and Brotherhood are the only two standouts in the series and even then Brotherhood's a significantly worse game than II.

Futo
  • Futo

Yeah i'm busy, call me back!

• Members

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Thursday, Jul 18 2013, 20:32)
II and Brotherhood are the only two standouts in the series and even then Brotherhood's a significantly worse game than II.

Totally agree

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

I will turn your life upside down!

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

Yea, its pretty easy to tell which games are being milked and which are not. The value of the gameplay remains the same with little to no improvements from the last one. That is one example.

I would not call this series "milking" just yet. But I do agree, it is a bit sooner than expected, which raises suspicion.

Durden
  • Durden

Jack's blatant honesty

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:30 AM

I hope we see this game revealed at Gamescon.

What type of setting do you guys want, or expect?

One nitpicky thing about FC3, the healing animations. I was probably more entertained than I should've been, and I know that FC2 had many more animations than FC3. I hope FC4 has lots & lots of cool, gross, & funny healing animations.

sublimelabs
  • sublimelabs

The Jimmy Rustler

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (gionascm2 @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 01:30)
I hope we see this game revealed at Gamescon.

What type of setting do you guys want, or expect?

One nitpicky thing about FC3, the healing animations. I was probably more entertained than I should've been, and I know that FC2 had many more animations than FC3. I hope FC4 has lots & lots of cool, gross, & funny healing animations.

The animation when you dislocate your thumb/hand makes me cringe.

I hope the healing animations are more consistent. Kinda breaks the immersion when you bandage your arm and seconds later you're replacing the bandage which somehow disappeared. Health in general is something games should improve on.

I want more dynamic animations in first-person shooters come next-gen. And I want to be able to see my character's lower body. tounge.gif

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:27 AM

A semi-prequel involving Vaas please!

Supernutz40
  • Supernutz40

GTAF Commissioner

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE (Daz @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 07:19)
Jumping the gun a little here are we?

It is a mention of they will make another not that it exists. We don't even have a screenshot yet.

Personally aside from the awesome gameplay, the story of FC3 sucked anus, hated all those characters and it made no sense at the end, most stupid sh*t I have ever seen.

I would much prefer to hear news of:

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon 2: Vietnam War 2

I want to get me some cyborg vietcong scum.

I liked Far Cry 3, but I LOVED Blood Dragon. Obviously the length was not that of Far Cry 3, but to me it was far more entertaining. The story in BD is rediculous, but fantastic. The bit at the end with the dragon was beyond hilarious and fun to play. The Super Nintendo style graphics for the cut scenes were a very nice touch as well as all the nods to 80's and 90's music, movies and such. That was the best $15 I've ever spent on a game.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 02:02)
QUOTE (AceKingston @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 13:26)

Revelations was a great game, but it wasn't anything new, where as the first Assassin's Creed was a good concept that was executed extremely poorly.

I disagree. Brotherhood was a great game on-par with AC II. The whole series was based pretty much on Prince of Persia, so I'm guessing that AC: I was mean't to be a 'HD' Prince of Persia more than anything. AC II and Brotherhood were brilliant and Revelations was a pretty decent game, there was a lot of stuff to do in Brotherhood even after completing the story so both games are fairly and evenly matched.
  • ROCKGTASTAR likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users