Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why Doesn't Claude Speak?

65 replies to this topic

Poll: Why Doesn't Claude Speak? (190 member(s) have cast votes)

Why Doesn't Claude Speak?

1. Because He's a Mute (25 votes [13.30%])

Percentage of vote: 13.30%

2. Because He Doesn't Have a Tongue (9 votes [4.79%])

Percentage of vote: 4.79%

3. Because His Voice Sucks (5 votes [2.66%])

Percentage of vote: 2.66%

4. Because He Just Doesn't Like It (83 votes [44.15%])

Percentage of vote: 44.15%

5. Because Catalina Shot Him During Intro (29 votes [15.43%])

Percentage of vote: 15.43%

6. Other (37 votes [19.68%])

Percentage of vote: 19.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote
TonyMontanaCDL
  • TonyMontanaCDL

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

How about because he's not supposed to be a scripted character but more of the player than anything else?

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

• Bi0ha2ard_q8 likes this

ONEkingscar
  • ONEkingscar

The stealth toker

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

Because he is a badass.Plain and simple.

iZombie27
  • iZombie27

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

Heard some where that Rockstar ran out of funding and couldn't afford a voice actor for him

EscobarVice
  • EscobarVice

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

Originally the game were to have the player to enter his/her name or select from a list and the characters in game would refer to him/her as that, so your character wouldn't have a voice if it was you, but that idea got scrapped.

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:40 PM Edited by Rainbow Party, 18 October 2013 - 04:42 PM.

I guess he can talk but he doesn't like talking. I read somewhere that you can hear him grunt in pain sometimes but I never noticed that. And I think it sort of helps you feel identified with him since the original idea was also to be able to name the character (this feature was cut from the game). The character from the movie Drive reminded me of him.

• Bi0ha2ard_q8 likes this

MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

DON'T TOUCH ME YOU FILTHY CASUAL

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

The reason he's quiet is so we can put ourselves onto the character when we're playing.

MysteryRidah
  • MysteryRidah

GMAlonzo

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

I'm glad he doesn't speak, which is why gta 3 is the best gta game ever.

• Cakelover21 likes this

360owns
  • 360owns

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

I still stand by the fact that claude did infact talk in an early trailer. R* just probably does not want to admit it after so long saying he is a mute, but I believe that possibly they removed his voice overs soon after that trailer. 

that is true!! i have seen that trailer to!

Cakelover21
  • Cakelover21

PS2 Master Race

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

He's just shy like me :). People are can be very diffrent when they hide behind a screen you know...

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

._.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

I understand, but come on! If someone isn't mute, he has to say at least one word! I think it's because Catalina shot him.

Cakelover21
  • Cakelover21

PS2 Master Race

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

I understand, but come on! If someone isn't mute, he has to say at least one word! I think it's because Catalina shot him.

Understand what? Why he wont speak?

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

I'd say it's because he doesn't like to/want to. He makes noises when he gets fall damage so it isn't as if he cannot physically make noises with his mouth, I think it's just his thing.
  • Kalvin likes this

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

._.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

Understand what? Why he wont speak?

Yeah...

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:16 AM

Shooting Claude in the throat was only an excuse for Rockstar's lack of  a dubbed character.

We can only guess it, but analysing the history of this game's development it should be right.

• Jeansowaty likes this

lol232
  • lol232

The Harwood Butcher

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

Rockstar stated a couple of times, Claude was originally never scripted to speak.
It didn't fit the game, and considering you were originally meant to change to characters name, it makes sense.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

Claude is a perfect example on why video game characters don't have to speak.

I think that he is a cool guy and a very enjoyable protagonist throughout the events of GTA III, despite what some others may think.

Indy007
  • Indy007

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:59 PM

He cant  talk because his mouth smells like a mixture of sour milk and sewer water , and so he cant open his mouth . .!! 

Dang, Catalina must have been pretty desperate to get a man then. I mean, robbing banks with the same guy for ten years with bad breath...Damn.

JeffersonCJ
  • JeffersonCJ

King of Grand Theft Auto

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

Maybe Claude don't speak because he doesn't have a tongue or he don't like it for unknown reason.

TheR1mmer
  • TheR1mmer

Leader of MSF

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:38 PM

I've always had the theory that he chose to never speak so the police could never cathc him owning up to anything on tape. This was set in a time when pagers where all the rage and technology was begginging (I cant spel that word) to become an natural part of daily lifes, so Claude was just being very cutious as he did not know who could havbe a wire taped to them.

As for why he never spoke in GTA:SA well, in the scenes he appeared in, he never really had to, he still looked badass

cunningstunt
  • cunningstunt

take it easy

• Members

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

Not played 3 for ages but I think I remember him having a throat injury that prevented him from speaking

gta3masta5000
  • gta3masta5000

'Sup?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

Same reason Gordon Freeman and Chell don't talk (Half-Life and Portal). There's no need. Let our actions speak for us.

RandomStunt
  • RandomStunt

Don't hate the little man cuz he's packing a six shooter

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

because claude was shot and lost a bit of a brain.

• Khan96 likes this

Cakelover21
  • Cakelover21

PS2 Master Race

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

Lol! Lost a bit of brain. Ooooh that's hilarious.

Khan96
  • Khan96

Mafia Never Forgets

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:06 PM

Yes you are right, thanks to Catalina, Claude's brain was penetrated by a 9mm bullet.

lpgunit
  • lpgunit

It's L, as in Lpgunit, not I.

• Feroci Racing
  • Philippines

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:20 AM

The reason he's quiet is so we can put ourselves onto the character when we're playing.

Besides the aforementioned budget/technical constraints R* ran into during development, from what I've read Claude was originally intended to be an avatar for the player, which is why he was simply called as the player character in early R* literature, and could also account for the "scanned-in face" blurb they made when they released the PC version.

Tony.
  • Tony.

I don't agree with that in the workplace

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:36 AM

Maybe he had a funny voice and nobody would take him seriously if he spoke. Like the first 30 seconds of this.

• Bartleby and SonOfLiberty like this

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

._.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

Maybe he had a funny voice and nobody would take him seriously if he spoke. Like the first 30 seconds of this.

This vid is blocked in your country. Fantastic.

Tony.
  • Tony.

I don't agree with that in the workplace

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

This vid is blocked in your country. Fantastic.
Well, sorry? That's not my fault.

Spadge007
  • Spadge007

Low-rider

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:01 AM Edited by Spadge007, 25 May 2014 - 05:20 PM.

^ No, that trailer contained a voice sample from GTA2. They never had a voice actor for Claude because they never planned for him to talk to begin with.

Exactly, in addition to this, there's a lot of other GTA2 samples used in this beta trailer.

I think people are taking this topic a little too seriously....these are just silly excuses as to why he doesn't speak.

Most know the real reason is Rockstar found it difficult and/or expensive to do it and then made him not speak. I don't think this topic so much a serious discussion as it might have been in the past, all we know is that he doesn't talk because Rockstar chose to give him no voice.....it's fine for fans to come up with their own reason why he doesn't speak as Rockstar have not given an IN GAME CANNON reason for him not too...just a technical real life problem they didn't overcome. And by San Andreas, they could have easily given him a voice...but of course to keep him in character they kept him silent.

If they aren't going to come up with a in game cannon reason for him being silent, then I think fans are free to make up any reason for it.

Now I'm being serious....
v_v

I think you take it not seriously enough. It's true that Rockstar gave him no voice because of technical restricitons, however, making speculations about in game canon is part of a fanbase.

I really can't appreciate people's "it's just a game, don't take it to serious" opinion, because they don't assume this postition to the end, they just get p*ssed if people don't aknowledge what their playing.

If you are on this forum, I assume you enjoy playing those games, enjoy the atmosphere and you want to contribute to the community and depth of the universe, which isn't the case if you see a game as simple distraction. People put work and passion in such games, and made it what they are today, through voice acting, coding, design etc. We could almost call it art, if it isn't art already. It's like saing "it' just a movie", actors like Al Pacino, Marlon Brando gave heart and sould while playing their role.

If you say things like "it's just a game" you completely deny the work which was archieved by all the team, but also the feelings people can accord to the medium of a video game. A game is more than just coding ..

• Saschaboy likes this

zeldafreak134
  • zeldafreak134

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

My backstory for why Claude doesn't speak was that when he was living down in San Fierro (that's where I'm guessing he lived) his Father abandond him and his mother. His mother was an alcoholic and wasted here money on drugs from the Loco Syndicate. One night she got ripped off at a bar and came home mad and drunk. She grabbed a knife  and out of rage cut out Claude's tounge. Claude ran away to an abandoned garage down in Dorethy. His mother was then arrested for child abuse.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users