38 replies to this topic
Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

Grand Theft Auto III Chain Game Founder

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

Today I was playing GTA III once again - something I dabble in from time to time very often. And while I've been playing this game since May 2010 (when I first got it), so much that now I take this activity for granted, out of the blue I got caught in a wave of nostalgia, memories started flooding in, and I felt all warm and fuzzy as I remembered myself playing GTA III for the first time!

I remembered the day when I installed the game on my PC, started the new game, watched the Introduction video, got control of Claude after that scene with the bridge destruction...
The gritty atmosphere of the industrial city instantly hit me and I was awed and taken aback by the "worst place of America" right from the first minutes I spent in the city. I fell in love with the city and the game in the whole, and I loved it ever since. For some reason, I even felt as if this place was my home, and after a long journey around San Andreas and Vice City I finally returned home...

As soon as I finished the first mission, I took off to explore the city rather than progressing with the story. Luckily for me, I was familiar with another GTA games by that time (San Andreas and Vice City, to be exact), so the first thing I got myself busy with after the Introduction was collecting Hidden Packages, doing Rampages and Unique Jumps, and completing missions like Taxi, Firefighter and Paramedic...

I always complete Paramedic as soon as I start the game in every III era GTA except for San Andreas! Infinite Sprint is a great asset to the player!

I understood how wise I did by doing everything on Portland before "Don't Spank Ma Bitch Up" after "Sayonara Salvatore", when the Mafia with shotguns negated possibility of you doing Paramedic or Firefighter there...

Now I like doing the "Ultimate Starter Save" playthroughs (do every side mission form the start), and then start the Storyline with the benefits gained from all side missions. But then, I was not a fan of getting to islands before they are unlocked. I likes opening them during the course of the storyline, even if I was playing GTA III for my 10th time and I knew everything about these islands.
Still, even now I manage to find some new things like a new vehicle parking location or a weapon spawn point... GTA III will never stop to amaze me!

The first mission I had difficulty with, though, was "The Fuzz Ball". I could just not deliver all 8 hookers (and I wanted to deliver them all) until the day I found that the Coach can bear all 8 girls a the same time!

I was a "missions opportunist" and I stopped taking the missions from old guys as soon as missions from new guys opened (Joey, Toni and Salvatore). But in the end, I paid for my arrogance: I completed "Last Requests" without completing "Pump Action Pimp" and "Dead Skunk In The Trunk". As soon as I got to Staunton, I saw those missions disappear. I continued playing, but after I killed Salvatore I realized that Joey and Luigi would not be giving me missions - simple pure logic!

Luckily, I had a backup save from "Bomb Da Base: Act II" and could complete those Joey's and Luigi's missions to then just simply go to Staunton!

Ah, those days... inlove.gif

If you have some memories about playing GTA III you'd like to share with the others, post them here!
  • Packing_Heat and GTAKid667 like this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

GTA III was the first ever GTA game I played and I completed the storyline first, struggling on missions such as 'The Fuzz Ball' and 'Bomb Da Base: Act II'. Once I eventually got around to completing them I really started to fall in the love with the game and the surroundings that was Liberty City. After finishing the storyline I realized that the side missions weren't going to be easy (all the gangs in the way) and as I said, this was my first GTA Game so I had no experience on how to get about without gangs killing me. After a long hard battle with GTA III I finished it and put it away to play Vice City (and later San Andreas, both of which I loved loads). But GTA III only really became my favorite GTA after replaying it, knowing how to do the missions and when to do the side missions and learning little tips as I went along. What a good game icon14.gif

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

Oh my god, the memories. wow.gif I have way too many to name. I still reminisce from time to time back to when I was a newbie to the GTA series. As you did, I felt like LC was my home. To be honest, it still does feel like my very own home. I get to that point where I just HAVE to visit the place again. Liberty City's atmosphere feels superb. Everything fits so perfectly, which makes me say that Rockstar did an AMAZING job creating this game.

I'll always be a loyal GTA fan, and play the games until I die.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

There are of course so many other memories in GTA III like walking into the 'i' pickup outside the Police Station and Hospital seeing how the two companies work and seeing that Police Van for the first time inlove.gif
I always seem to love the Enforcer when it comes to the Law Enforcement and I guess it was cause of GTA III in the opening video and the information video outside the Police Station

Xegethra
  • Xegethra

Trick

• Members

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:40 PM Edited by Xegethra, 14 July 2013 - 09:46 PM.

I can't say I get nostalgic of the game (I'm currently playing it right now) as I haven't really stopped playing it.

But nostalgia can go as far as my first time with the game.

I remember my first experience with GTA, it was with GTA 1 when it came out, I was only 9 but my older brother brought it over to my house along with his PS1 shortly after release day. We played it and I loved the game...didn't understand it much but I had fun. I remember hi jacking trains and trying to swim.....and the mission where you blow up the police station with the tanker really sticks in my mind. I especially remember my first day with GTA as I played it on the day we moved into the house we live in now. First time playing the new GTA series on the first day in my new house. I remember having to keep pausing the game to help move in boxes.

Then GTA 2 came out....loved it, my favourite GTA to date...still. Having such fun with the electro fingers, car crushers, gang wars and intense police chases. Then being disappointed that you can't jack trains anymore...but you could still ride them. I remember the first time I heard "Hallelujah another soul saved" and wondering why some cars I got into teleported me to a garage. I didn't know they were collectables until years later. I loved and still love it's retro futuristic cyberpunk setting.

Had lots of fun with the London games when they came out.

Then GTA 3...I remember the first image I saw of the game after hearing everyone talk about it. It was this one http://www.gouranga....a3/gta3_157.jpg
And I remember playing it with my best friend at the time at his place....I didn't get the game till a few months later....were cheap on getting a ps2 at the time. But I remember spending loads of time racing through the tunnels thinking how cool it was to have them and not just roads on the surface. We played the game from start to finish together all at his place and I was just in love the game. I was happy that rampages were back, riding trains were back, taxi missions were back...then being amazed that they gave us other public service missions too. I remember exploring every inch of the map with him seeing what could be done and what areas we could get too. And then never getting into the strip club after looking for ways in. Then....the myths and legends that surrounded the game kept us occupied. I now know most of them aren't true, but I still like to read up on them...kinda like you know how creepy pasta isn't true, but still fun to read.

Andreas
  • Andreas

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:00 AM

I haven't properly played GTA III since probably a couple of years, but I still like to think about all the fun I had with it and the nostalgia. This was the first GTA I have ever played and that many years back when I was a little kid. Although, it has been almost a decade since I played it the first time, I can still remember my thoughts from back then, my excitement and how much I simply loved it. It actually brought me into videogaming! I remember the first time I started a shootout and how the police chased me. Since I was a little kid, I saw everything from another point of view. I feared the police in III, because they appeared to be very dangerous and aggressive. The gangs annoyed me at times, especially the Mafia in Portland around Saints Marks after the mission 'Sayonara Salvatore', but it was fine, in my opinion. They contributed to the image of the city. Liberty City is an interesting and dark place, and it certainly deserves the title as "worst city in America". I always found the storyline very interesting, and it gets even better the older I am. The game may be old, it's outdated and not up to date anymore, but it will always have a special place in my heart. I will always love it, and keep playing it here and there. I have so many great memories from it, and it's so nostalgic. It revolutionized the videogame industry, and it defined the openworld genre.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:03 AM

QUOTE (Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian @ Sunday, Jul 14 2013, 20:00)
It revolutionized the videogame industry, and it defined the openworld genre.

This is what people fail to realize. There's no reason to hate on GTA III, no reason at all. GTA III during it's time was the GTA V of today.

Vojta
  • Vojta

Player Hater

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

GTA III was my first GTA. I played it a long time, until I met San Andreas. smile.gif So, very nostalgic game!

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

No series has ever impressed me as much as Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto Games. It all started with Grand Theft Auto III in roughly 2004. I beat the game after 2 years of struggling on missions such as 'The Fuzz Ball' and 'Bomb Da Base: Act II'. Once I eventually got around to completing them I really started to fall in the love with the game and the surroundings that was Liberty City. After finishing the storyline I realized that the side missions weren't going to be easy (all the gangs in the way) and as I said, this was my first GTA Game so I had no experience on how to get about without gangs killing me. After a long hard battle with GTA III I finished it and put it away to play Vice City (and later San Andreas, both of which I loved loads), and then to my luck my PS2 memory card erased itself leaving me very shocked, then when I got my PS3 60gb just after they came out, I tested its backwards compatible features and inserted the PS2 disc of Grand Theft Auto III and that opening cutscene and first mission made me fall in love with the game again... So I got the game for PC and played it non-stop (with a PS2 Controller Connected) and then played it on PS2, read up on the game loads and discovered new tricks and glitches, in fact, I know so much on the game it surprises me. GTA III has such a special meaning in my life and I still play it to this day, on PS2, PS3, Tablet and PC, mainly in the Chain Game for PC but the game is now my favourite GTA Game and will always be so, so special, after struggling and going back, learning so much and now play it at least once a week, I have completed the game to 100% at least 10 times and will play this game till I die. For me, what makes the game more special is the standard it set for the gaming industry and the massive step up from GTA2. While newer games like GTA IV are still really good, they didn't make the same impact as GTA III did.

Look at GTA Clone games like Saints Row, same format (at least until The Third), Same Controls etc. If Rockstar never released GTA III, these games wouldn't be like this as they would have had to make the idea up themselves (which someone would have done eventually)

Also, have a look at 2001 in Video Gaming, see how GTA III stands out somewhat
http://en.wikipedia....in_video_gaming

Mr.ClaudeFan
  • Mr.ClaudeFan

Lord of Liberty (City)

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:15 AM

To be honest, I didn't exactly love GTA3 since 2002. I first discovered it in 2005, when my father got a new computer. I came back later and I saw him playing the game, in a Linerunner and causing general mayhem, with 3 cop cars on his tail and a HELICOPTER? I was astonished to see that, as I hadn't played video games like that. A few years later, when I was watching him play San Andreas, he found GTA3 in a shelf above the computer and asked if I'd like to play. I said "sure" as I had at the time already played Vice City and San Andreas. So I got into it. I remember going through the story in a few days tops, experiencing lots of frustration, fun and mayhem. When I finally blew that evil bitch Catalina out of the sky, I felt good. A year later I revisited the game with intentions on completing it 100%. So I did. And to this day GTA III is my favorite game of the series, and I still play it a lot to this day.

Dingleman
  • Dingleman

Big Mouthed Prick

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:44 AM

I actually never realized how new you are to this game. You sure as hell jumped on the boat late, and you certainly learned a lot about it in a short time. I guess that means that you are living proof that my ongoing interest in this game is not purely nostalgia.

But yes, every year since 2002 I seem to go through a phase where I'm swelled with GTA 3 nostalgia. It usually ends up with me walking around the city, soaking in the atmosphere, going through the storyline and then releasing a couple of small mods.
  • Arsen Vitiuk likes this

Mr.ClaudeFan
  • Mr.ClaudeFan

Lord of Liberty (City)

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE (dingleman @ Thursday, Aug 8 2013, 03:44)
I actually never realized how new you are to this game. You sure as hell jumped on the boat late, and you certainly learned a lot about it in a short time. I guess that means that you are living proof that my ongoing interest in this game is not purely nostalgia.

But yes, every year since 2002 I seem to go through a phase where I'm swelled with GTA 3 nostalgia. It usually ends up with me walking around the city, soaking in the atmosphere, going through the storyline and then releasing a couple of small mods.

Forgive me if I come off as a bit rude, was that first part directed towards me?

Dingleman
  • Dingleman

Big Mouthed Prick

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:29 AM

QUOTE (Mr.ClaudeFan @ Thursday, Aug 8 2013, 15:02)

Forgive me if I come off as a bit rude, was that first part directed towards me?

Nope, Arsen. Considering the short time he's played GTA 3, he's a pretty damn good player.

Mr.ClaudeFan
  • Mr.ClaudeFan

Lord of Liberty (City)

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:42 AM

QUOTE (dingleman @ Thursday, Aug 8 2013, 05:29)
QUOTE (Mr.ClaudeFan @ Thursday, Aug 8 2013, 15:02)

Nope, Arsen. Considering the short time he's played GTA 3, he's a pretty damn good player.

Oh. Sorry

Mr. Jago
  • Mr. Jago

wosh u face

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

Wow, I wouldn't have taken you as a person who only started playing in the last few years, Arsen. I remember when my dad showed me this game in 2002, probably one of the first games I ever played. I still find myself reinstalling it every couple of years just to relive that sense of adventure I had when I first played it as a wee lad. Back then, I thought the peds had actual business to attend to and that behind every door lied an actual room. Makes me feel happy to just drive around classic LC every now and then and stare at the flat storefronts. tounge.gif

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (Mr. Jago @ Saturday, Aug 10 2013, 19:46)
Wow, I wouldn't have taken you as a person who only started playing in the last few years, Arsen.

If you mean, his knowledge and ability: Well you'd be surprised man, once you have a game, if you play it enough you learn everything smile.gif

Now, if you meant you can't believe he was late to the party: I agree.

JustinGunnar
  • JustinGunnar

Claudette Speed

• Members

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:30 AM

I'm playing it through now for the first time in years and its very nostalgic. I remember I used to have such a hard time with the driving missions such as Fuzz Ball, Turismo, Big n Veiny, Grand Theft auto, Pay Day for Ray, Marked Man etc. It's pretty crazy how good I've gotten that they seem so easy now. I finished them all on the first try with time to spare. I never could finish BnV myself. I used to always have to do a SnP or push the van to the docks before I got in and ran him over lol

I remember when I got to Salvatore Called a Meeting the first time I was so happy because I felt like I hadn't seen Luigi in forever, or Bomb the Base it was good to see 8 Ball. Prolly took me weeks to get to that point, but I feel now I can get through Portland in about an hour or so lol

Still a great game though and very fun. When I get to Staunton and Shoreside I've had to do a couple missions a time or to to pass, so it's cool that it still holds some challenge at points.

PerceptortheShootist
  • PerceptortheShootist

Snitch

• Members

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:37 AM

I do feel fond of this game. It was the second GTA game I played after Vice City, heck they were bundled together! I remember in the beginning when I was going off to the right of the Callahan Bridge's end and getting my first hidden package and pistol. I didn't have a memory card for a very long time so I never bothered with the story missions, I just used cheats and caused mayhem. Of course now, I play these games legitimately. I won't forget the dim visuals that were rather unique for this game or the music playing on the radio stations.

˸
  • ˸

KGB agent

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:56 PM

The first time I saw GTA 3 was on my friend's computer. He said he need to go away for a minute and let me take over the keyboard. It was one of the first missions, where you have to take a limousine to Joey's garage. I was going down that road in Chinatown that goes under Callaghan bridge and took a shortcut underneath it. Immediately the sun shone in my face (that big pink blurb we are all familiar with) and I though it was amazing. This image stuck with me for all these years.

Back then only a handful of people could afford a computer which could run GTA3, so I didn't start to play it until 2004. I liked the game, though there wasn't anything specific that I liked. I used thousands of cheats and passed the storyline. Then VC came, then SA, and then I though^ why not give GTA 3 another go?

This time I did 100%, cheat-free, and enjoyed every last bit of it. now I know why I don't get tired of this game - it is a great representation of my home city with tall grey buildings, parks, bridges and run-down disctricts.

The music is amazing, it reflects the late 90-ies styles perfectly. I can drive around for hours just listening to it, enjoying the rain and paddles, watching people going about their business.

There is something unique and nostalgic about slowly driving along that quite road that goes from the stadium to the business centre. Ialso enjoy simply walking around the Red Light disctrict, along the river, around the business district, around the Staunton island's savehouse and just watch and listen to the peds.

Another great memory, which I think captures the spirit of GTA 3 perfectly: completing the last unique jump over the reservoir at 4am sunrise with Rise FM blasting from your Banshee... and completing the game 100% a second later.

PaddsterG2k3
  • PaddsterG2k3

The Bee's Knees

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (GTAKid667 @ Sunday, Jul 14 2013, 20:32)
There are of course so many other memories in GTA III like walking into the 'i' pickup outside the Police Station and Hospital seeing how the two companies work and seeing that Police Van for the first time inlove.gif
I always seem to love the Enforcer when it comes to the Law Enforcement and I guess it was cause of GTA III in the opening video and the information video outside the Police Station

This.

So, so much nostalgia from GTA III. My hairs stand on the back of my neck when I hear:

"My hands are all messed up, so you better drive, brother."

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

QUOTE (PaddsterG2k3 @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 21:50)
QUOTE (GTAKid667 @ Sunday, Jul 14 2013, 20:32)

This.

So, so much nostalgia from GTA III. My hairs stand on the back of my neck when I hear:

"My hands are all messed up, so you better drive, brother."

Probably the most famous GTA quote ever.

I have GTA III ranked as my 3rd favourite GTA just behind GTA IV and VC for good reason too. I love the crazy peds and their loony rambling. lol.gif
  • thehambone likes this

kjahcleveland
  • kjahcleveland

Esperanto collector

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

GTA III was the first GTA I played. The memories it brings are so good that I will always love this game. The feel of the city, pedestrians, and the main character are just perfect. I love the dark gritty feeling of the city because that's how it is here in Cleveland.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

I was just messing around with some of the GTA III files for Android (originally wanted to get the save files off but then I felt like discovering stuff) and I played the GTA III Opening Intro from the Movies folder with my headphones on... Utterly Blown Away with Nostalgia, just from watching those images come together with that damn awesome music  :inlove:

Filip454
  • Filip454

TITS OR GTFO

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:53 PM

GTA III has the best intro.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

GTA III does have a great intro, it suits the game well and the music to go with it is just great.

I'm not sure I have an opinion as to what is 'The Best Intro' but I surely like GTA III's

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

GTA III does have a great intro, it suits the game well and the music to go with it is just great.
I'm not sure I have an opinion as to what is 'The Best Intro' but I surely like GTA III's
I do agree. I really can't choose which intro is the 'best', but GTA III definitely has a great one. I love hearing that amazing opening credit music. :inlove:

thehambone
  • thehambone

Get Get Get Get Got Got Got Got

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:19 AM Edited by thehambone, 29 January 2014 - 01:06 AM.

Oh man, I remember getting this game nearly 10 years ago, late 2004. My cousin showed it to me when I was like 9, and then I later found out that my friend had it, so we played it constantly, lol. At the time, Driver 2 for PS1 had been the game I spent most of my time on. When I first saw GTA III, I was amazed at all of the things you could do in Liberty City. Finally, you could get out of your car, roam freely, and explore everything! Hell, you could even shoot people if you wanted to! Eventually, my friend's PS2 began giving him troubles (ohh, the infamous "Disc read error" message), but some games were still stable, GTA III being one of them. He ended up getting a new PS2 and gave me his old one. I quickly went out with my parents (lol) and bought GTA III. I was so happy: I had my first PS2 and an amazing new game!

I played that game so much. I remember I didn't have a memory card for the first, like, month that I had the game, so I always had to start from the beginning. I remember the furthest I could ever get into the story "Cutting the Grass." I never had any idea what to do in that mission so I always failed it (as a 9-year-old, I didn't understand what a "spookometer" was). Nonetheless, I played the crap out of that game. I remember how happy I was the first time I beat the story.

Such an amazing game.

SpectorTM
  • SpectorTM

The guy late to the party

• Members

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:53 PM Edited by SpectorTM, 27 January 2014 - 01:53 PM.

I remember playing GTA 3 as my first GTA game back when I got a PS2. I got GTA 3 and San Andreas for my brother because my parents though he was "old enough" and told me I couldn't play them. A couple days later I stole GTA 3 from him because he preferred San Andreas (obviously, I guess) and I played it all day that day.

I was awed at the open-world and free roaming you could do. The graphics looked awesome to me. And just the though of doing whatever you want made me happy. After doing a couple missions and getting to the difficult ones I just gave up doing missions and started beating people up. Then I found out about cheats and started having fun with those. As boring as that sounds, I had an amazing time with that game and played it up until I got bored.

Now that I look at it, I've never actually finished 3 or SA. And since there's nothing to do in GTA 5 anymore than get blown up by 12 year olds in tanks, I think I'll actually get my Ps2 out and actually beat them. (I attempted playing GTA SA on PC but the controls made me frustrated so I'll stick to Ps2)

grosso2626
  • grosso2626

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:56 AM

I first played it around 2005 with my cousin. We would spend hours getting the cops after us and seeing how long we could survive. I remember not having any clues about where to find hidden packages or how to do certain missions before certain gangs become hostile. I would wait at Salvatore's mansion trying to pick him off but failing several times, being completely unaware about a much easier way to kill him. Bomb Da Base was also a challenge, took me and my cousin about 10 times to beat it. I rediscovered my love for the game last year when I bought my own copy. Since then, I've become much better at the game and am nearing 100 percent completion for the first time.

Indy007
  • Indy007

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian @ Sunday, Jul 14 2013, 20:00) It revolutionized the videogame industry, and it defined the openworld genre.
This is what people fail to realize. There's no reason to hate on GTA III, no reason at all. GTA III during it's time was the GTA V of today.

You couldn't be more spot on. I remember when III came out, there was nonstop conversation, attention and awe about the game. I couldn't wait to get it and once I did, it was a blast! It's hard to believe the game came out 13 years ago!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users