» «
Photo

Windows 7, cannot get GTA: VC to start

3 replies to this topic
dire-wolfman
  • dire-wolfman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:36 PM Edited by dire-wolfman, 13 July 2013 - 10:40 PM.

Hello,

I just bought GTA VC from Steam, but I can't seem to get anything to work, and I've tried following advice from several other sites but still nothing works - every time I try to run, I get:

"Grand Theft Auto VC cannot find enough available video memory" and that's all.

Here are my system specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium (Service Pack 1)
AMD Athlon™ II X2 240 Processor 2.80 GHz
2.75 GB usable RAM
64-bit OS
DirectX Version 11
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Approx. Total Memory: 1401 MB

I've tried the following (alone *and* in combination with each other) -

- Uninstall and reinstall GTA VC
- Uninstall and reinstall Steam & GTA VC
- Updated drivers for video card
- Compatibility Modes: Windows 98, 2000, XP (service packs 2 and 3)
- Run as Admin
- Disable visual themes
- Disable desktop composition
- Turned off/on DEP

I've been trying to get this work for almost 2 days now, and I'm really getting frustrated...and would very much appreciate any help. Thanks very much in advance.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:21 PM

I tried looking it up myself but getting too much garbage--

Do you know if your video card will support 640x480 resolution?

This is VC's native resolution and if your card won't support it, it won't start up....

WHen the game starts it will check for a gtavc.set file and use the resolution in there -- if none found it will start in native resolution (640 x 480)

A way to get past this check is to use another settings file with the resolution changed to something your card will support.

Check #31 in this thread (first post) http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=188753

I have rehosted 2 settings files for VC with resolutions changed to something else other then native.

These settings files were made by me with my PC disk version--- I don't know if they will work with steam version.

If that is your problem (and I'm not sure that it is)-- you may have to get a settings file from another steam version using member.

I would first just try to change you display to 640 x 480 and see if it is even possible to display this resolution.

You looked to have done most of the recommended fixes already.

Good luck.

Spuds

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

Anything 80's

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:34 PM Edited by Andreaz1, 13 July 2013 - 11:41 PM.

I'm not very good at this sort of thing, but I'm going to guess that it is your integrated graphics circuit that doesn't get shared enough memory to be able to cope with this game. Every person I've seen having problems running this game has had integrated graphics, I guess you just need a real graphics card in order to be able to play the game.

Try these things:
QUOTE (miromiro)
Reinstall your video drivers. Also make sure that in 'Display Properties', your hardware acceleration level is set to 'Full'. Confirm that all DirectX / 3D features are enabled in 'dxdiag' as well. Make sure you have at least 32+MB of VRAM.

To start dxdiag, just go to the start menu and search for "dxdiag.exe" in the search box. Check what it says under the "Display" tab.

dire-wolfman
  • dire-wolfman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:57 PM

Thanks, both of you, for offering suggestions.

My computer can handle 640x480 just fine, but even when I run in that resolution I still get the same message.

As for hardware acceleration, there's no option anywhere for me to set it, even though I've followed steps I researched online to try and find/set it. There are also no options in dxdiag to change anything. Under dxdiag, Display, I have:

DirectDraw Acceleration: Not Available

Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled

AGP Texture Acceleration: Not Available

Would that be the issue? If so *sigh* it may just not be worth me doing this - better to eat the $ for the game purchase than to get a video card and throw good money after bad...

Again, thanks for the help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users