» «
Photo

US Gov now recognises LoL pros as athletes

98 replies to this topic
reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:40 PM Edited by reform, 15 July 2013 - 04:43 PM.

QUOTE (d0mm2k8 @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 16:20)
It's just seems that the main reason for objection of calling them athletes isn't due to the fact that the definition of athlete doesn't strictly apply to pro-gamers (but again, this is all semantics of terminology), but is due to people seeing sport as something above gaming and shouldn't be compared to the level of sports.
I'm not sure if this is the case but I don't think people would seriously debate so harshly on something as trivial as the meaning of the words 'sport' and 'athletes'.

I expect there is certainly an element of that, yes.

But in that regard they are just as guilty of missing the point as those caught up in technical semantics.

Because almost everyone has a view that certain "sports" are below the level of other "sports". But to what degree do such quantifications of percieved sporting value matter, if at all?

It's all besides the point. The point being that this visa is the only visa currently available to people who compete in X or Y for a living.

Any negative viewpoint can only been seen as an attack on the US government for not creating new catagories for visa application (waste of money in my opinion), or an attack on professional eSports competators purely out of spite or envy, or just a complete lack of comprehension in relation to the entire topic.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

Words are easily redefined. Go to South Korea and tell them Starcraft isn't a sport, I dare you.

The Gardener
  • The Gardener

jebeno isti

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

Disagree they're athletes and that it's a sport. They're skilled and talented as f*ck there's no denying but it requires no athleticism, although their hand skill and movement is beyond impressive. As well as having sh*t crazy reflexes.

I don't consider darts players or chess player athletes either. They're just games in my mind, just like LoL or any video game. Pro gaming would never ever ever ever ever ever be considered for the Olympics, I doubt there is anyone with the power who would even consider considering it.

That being said they're extremely skilled and calling them "Pro" gamers is perfectly fine. They get fame and get paid, so they're professionals. I'd like to see the people hating on these guys try to become a pro gamer.

stevensy
  • stevensy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:00 AM

hahah but honestly, the government has the right to recognize all the athletes because they are also the pride of our country.

- steven

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:43 AM

LoL. That's ridiculous.

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

What's athletic about fat neck beard dudes?

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

Being fat would actually hinder gaming performance for any games requiring precision and fast reflexes so i'd say majority of those kinds of gamers actually are not fat.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

All this time I thought a person (not emigrating to the U.S.) just bought a ticket and got on the transport. (Not really :))

http://www.immihelp....eam-member.html

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/temp_1305.html

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:17 PM Edited by The-King, 07 October 2013 - 10:18 PM.

Being fat would actually hinder gaming performance for any games requiring precision and fast reflexes so i'd say majority of those kinds of gamers actually are not fat.

Most LoL Pros are actually really really thin, some of them are or were fairly athletic too. TSM's top laner Dyrus played basketball in high-school and Meteos, Cloud 9's Jungler works out every day and can probably bench more than anyone commenting on this topic negatively can.

The entire point of the recognition as athletes is to simplify the visa and travel process in order for them to attend tournaments, which after worlds, which concluded on Friday and is definitely a good thing. Like, recently Quantic, a company that owns several teams in various other eSports (WoW and SC2 I believe, but don't quote me on that) imported a team of Korean professionals to play in the North America scene, who then proceeded to get absolutely facestomped by some lower tier teams. There's also the fact that eSports is growing rapidly, it's without a doubt the fastest growing  competitive spectator sport in the world, with League of Legends at the forefront. Hell, in South Korea, Dreamhack (in Sweden), the biggest gaming tournament and LAN in the world, gets it's own timeslot on television, because it's that big over there.

The amount of ignorance in this topic is disconcerting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users