98 replies to this topic
gtamad8
  • gtamad8

The Miracle

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

http://www.egmnow.co...rs-as-athletes/

user posted image

The United States government now officially recognizes professional League of Legends players as pro athletes, Riot Games eSports manager Nick Allen informed GameSpot.

“The United States government recognizes League of Legends pro players as professional athletes, and award visas to essentially work in the United States under that title,” Allen told GameSpot. “This is groundbreaking for eSports. Now we can start looking at international players when they come over. Its a much easier process because they’re actually recognized by the government. This is a huge thing.”

By Allen’s account, obtaining visas for international players still proved a “lengthy process” that required a great deal of back and forth between Riot and the U.S. government.

Riot Games will be hosting the League of Legends Season 3 Championship Finals October 4, 2013 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. The winning team will walk away with the Summoner’s Cup and $1 million in cash.

(Credit to EGMNow for the article)

GTAction99
  • GTAction99

R*

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

Are you f*cking kidding me? bored.gif

Athletes? suicidal.gif

Apex.
  • Apex.

Fallen and Reborn

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

Well, it's called 'eSPORTS' it's competing is it not, and competing is a sport. As they are competitors in a sport that makes them athletes I imagine.

I've never been into eSports but it's definately a thing that's growing majorly.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

I pushed the red button!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

This is wrong.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

y r ur posts purple u stupid fgt

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

Now they need to do this for GTA 4 races. I'd be a millionare and I'd probably be able to spend the rest of my life without a job.

Emhyr
  • Emhyr

Dragon Age

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

Probably the only sport they can do. tounge.gif But seriously, this is nonsense.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

When I think of LoL, I imagine stupid kids playing the sh*t out of it 24/7.

Flynny
  • Flynny

Future Uncle

• Members
  • England

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 12:27)
Now they need to do this for GTA 4 races. I'd be a millionare and I'd probably be able to spend the rest of my life without a job.

and FIFA football. tiger woods pga tour... list goes on. this is legal precedent
time for me to make the big bucks

GTAction99
  • GTAction99

R*

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 11:27)

I approve of this message. icon14.gif

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • Uganda

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

This is dumb.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Aren't chess players also recognized as athletes?

Either way, all types of games have championships which you could make your money with as long as you're good at them, I don't mind them being recognized as better than average, since they are.

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

This is cool. It's about time TBH.

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

Technically eSports don't fit the definition of regular sports but meh, playing a game such as LoL and StarCraft at this sort of level really requires a lot of f*cking practice and skill, as does any physical sport.
They're dedicated to practising and performing in something they love doing just like a footballer, baseball player etc. so what's so bad about it?

reform
  • reform

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (d0mm2k8 @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 14:33)
Technically eSports don't fit the definition of regular sports but meh, playing a game such as LoL and StarCraft at this sort of level really requires a lot of f*cking practice and skill, as does any physical sport.
They're dedicated to practising and performing in something they love doing just like a footballer, baseball player etc. so what's so bad about it?

I guess people are just jelly.

It's not as though there aren't already loads of non-digital "sports" that don't require physicality. Darts, chess, shooting, poker, etc.

Competative digital eSports is simply getting the recognition it deserves. Do people think there would be these $1mil/$2mil leagues and tournements if they weren't generating more than that in order to host these events?

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

I'm Offended By This Username

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

Of all the games to make a pro sport it had to be league of legends. Why not make games like Gran Turismo and Forza sports too? You know, I use a lot more strategy in that than any MMO.

reform
  • reform

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (The Pizza Delivery Guy @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 16:24)
Of all the games to make a pro sport it had to be league of legends. Why not make games like Gran Turismo and Forza sports too? You know, I use a lot more strategy in that than any MMO.

It's a misleading headline, but it doesn't apply to LoL players alone. It applies to anyone competing in any eSports event in a professional capacity.

Starcraft, LoL, DotA, C&C, are among the most popular, and in general RTS and MOBAs are the most popular eSports when it comes to viewership, and so they are the games that have the biggest eSports scene, and therefor the biggest money prizes.

Basically, racing games are among the most boring games to watch so they have almost no eSports scene.

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (The Pizza Delivery Guy @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 17:24)
strategy

You really don't know what this word means if you think you use more of it in racing games.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

I pushed the red button!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

Ever heard of Gran Turismo Academy?

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

F*ck this. Red Dead Redemption pros are the real athletes lol.gif

Seriously, though, a million dollars for playing this? C'mon, man... Some f*cking government we have.

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

I'm Offended By This Username

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (DarkKingBernard @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 10:35)

Ever heard of Gran Turismo Academy?

I'm always late to the party for that.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

Isn't my country just steady going to sh*t on a regular basis?

reform
  • reform

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:19 PM Edited by reform, 13 July 2013 - 06:39 PM.

QUOTE (Grand Theft Savage @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 17:42)
F*ck this. Red Dead Redemption pros are the real athletes  lol.gif

Seriously, though, a million dollars for playing this? C'mon, man... Some f*cking government we have.

Really don't get what people are so upset and angry about.
Get some perspective.

Your government isn't the one giving them the money....

That money comes from sign-up fees, sponsorship and advertising, and the cost of admission/stream access.

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE (reform @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 18:19)
QUOTE (Grand Theft Savage @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 17:42)
F*ck this. Red Dead Redemption pros are the real athletes  lol.gif

Really don't get what people are so upset and angry about.
Get some perspective.

Your government isn't the one giving them the money....

That money comes from sign-up fees, sponsorship and advertising, and the cost of admission/steam access.

It was really a chopped up post. I meant that the government is stupid for recognizing them as athletes.
The million dollars is coming from the money League of Legends is making.

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (Grand Theft Savage @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 19:33)
It was really a chopped up post. I meant that the government is stupid for recognizing them as athletes.

But.. why? It makes it easier for professional international competitors to attend competitions in the U.S.

reform
  • reform

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (Grand Theft Savage @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 18:33)

The million dollars is coming from the money League of Legends is making.

That status is just a technicality though. eSports is still a relatively new thing, and there's little point in creating a whole new catagory for the purposes of visas. It's the same deal with Chess players, Pro Poker players, etc.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

Don't get offended but how in the hell would you consider gaming a sport? Nor a gamer an athlete?

reform
  • reform

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (GunWrath @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 18:53)
Don't get offended but how in the hell would you consider gaming a sport? Nor a gamer an athlete?

I have no reason to be offended as I'm not a eSporter.

Why does the terminology offend you so much? In a world that's progressively more digital and less physical it really doesn't bother me. It's competative, and it's popular enough amongst those who want to watch it that they can have these huge tournements and leagues.

But at this time, the "athlete" status is just a technicality. eSports is still a relatively new thing, and there's little point in the US Gov creating a whole new catagory for the purposes of visas. The cost alone would make it not worth it. It's the same deal with Pro Chess players, Pro Poker players, etc. They may not be sports in some people's minds, but that is of no consequence.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

Yes, but Chess and Checkers and Scrabble and all that mess isn't a sport. Neither is gaming.

Definition of Sport
"Sport refers to the exercise of skill in a physical activity which is often competitve, and carried on for its intrinsic enjoyment, including that of its spectators"
a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

It doesn't offend me.. but this is just beyond ridiculous. If anything, why League of Legends? Lmfao. We might as well have a 'eSport' for every genre/game then eh? Next thing you know, it'll be in the Olympics as well? Since it's a 'sport' and provides the world with 'athletes'. Let's add Texting as a sport too since it involves electronics.

This makes no sense and it would be a bit foolish to qualify this as a sport or 'way to go guys!'

reform
  • reform

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:48 PM Edited by reform, 13 July 2013 - 08:02 PM.

The article is misleading being as it is LoL-centric, but the "athlete" status applies to professional eSports players across the board, not just LoL. And the fact that Chess, Poker, and "eSports" don't fit the traditional definition of sport doesn't actually matter in the slightest.

eSports are becoming bigger and bigger, and the revenue they generate is the reason this is happening. America apparently wants in on that revenue and as such has elected to make it easier for professional players to travel there for events.

I still feel that you're missing the crucial point of "athlete" status being a technicality. There's no point in the US Gov creating a whole new catagory for the purposes of visas. Pro Chess players, Pro Poker players, etc. are all afforded the same privileges .

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

There was money to be made here, and the government wouldn't want them to take a large event to some other country that allows players to get easy access to visas. A big part of tax revenue that cities rely on is sports events and conventions. I'm sure the government didn't even care about the label "Professional Athlete", it's about the money.

EDIT - I didn't see Reform's post, but he's right. icon14.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users