Photo

New CPU or GPU?

4 replies to this topic
midknightkruzer
  • midknightkruzer

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:53 AM

Hey, I was wondering with these specs would it be a better investment to buy a new cpu or a new gpu?

PC Specs:
AMD A8-3820 APU
AMD Radeon HD 6550D
6GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 bit

The new parts will mostly be for GTA IV. Right now I can run GTA IV but on mostly low settings. I need to know what I should buy first to increase my performance. CPU or GPU? Or is my PC even able to have the parts swapped? What parts are compatible/ do you suggest? Thanks!

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

I'd defintely say without a doubt a new GPU. The integrated GPU isn't powerful enough to run IV at a decent framerate [with decent graphics], and why would you need a new CPU when you have a quad core APU? Unless you're willing to purchase something better for around $200, in that case the i5-3570k comes to mind.

What's your allocated budget?

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Weekend Answerer

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

what is your resolution? i played gta iv and eflc fine with medium settings on gta iv and low/medium on eflc @1024x768 with the "314" commandline (that reduces the stuttering from the cpu and gpu sharing the same memory)
and i was using a8-3870k @ stock clocks and also @ 3.2 ghz

midknightkruzer
  • midknightkruzer

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (PrometheusX @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 08:40)
I'd defintely say without a doubt a new GPU. The integrated GPU isn't powerful enough to run IV at a decent framerate [with decent graphics], and why would you need a new CPU when you have a quad core APU? Unless you're willing to purchase something better for around $200, in that case the i5-3570k comes to mind.

Yeah, I figured it would be the GPU but I don't know much about computers. I just needed to know what would increase my performance on GTA IV more. My price range is about $200. At my local computer shop, they have AMD Radeon HD 7770 for $180 and AMD Radeon HD 7750 for $130, do you think one of these would be good? Or do you have a better suggestion? Thanks.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (PrometheusX @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 03:40)

That video card is capable of running the game at Medium to High settings(shadows OFF) with no problems-with around 40+ fps...I have that same card(with 1GB dedicated vram) and an AMD A6 Quad core processor and 4GB DDR3 ram and Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 and that is what I typically get with IV(EFLC is only around 30-35 fps with the same settings though for some reason?)

OT-IF you want to upgrade, the Video card is the only thing you need to upgrade. Also, the PSU may need updated, depending on what it is?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users