» «
Photo

saving issues

2 replies to this topic
nug700
  • nug700

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:42 AM Edited by nug700, 13 July 2013 - 02:47 AM.

So, Recently I bought GTA 4 via steam. At first, I didn't really pay much attention at setting up all the microsoft live stuff. A bit into the game (I just finished the mission where you trade that girl for the diamonds, and some dude throws them into them into a garbage truck), I decided I would finally set it up. I go through the tedious process of getting it set up (I think), and it repays me by reseting my save, and starting me off at the beginning of the whole game.

Miro
  • Miro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

What do you mean by setting it up? You mean saving the game? Have you been actually able to save your game?
What I'd recommend to over-pass Games for Windows Live would be xliveless. It does move your save files in the My Documents location, and it'll also disable online play. If you do decide to use xliveless, install it, do so, and then read this guide:
Q) How do I install the savegames / where are my savegames?
A) If you need to get hold of your own savegames first, you will find them here

CODE
Windows XP SP3 - C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames
Windows Vista - C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames
Windows 7 - C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames

Change the system driver letters accordingly. These paths are valid for both 32 and 64 bit OS versions. For EFLC the paths should be similar.

Now, to place the savegames in the proper directory, you can go by one of the following two procedures
a) Create the following folder structure in the "My Documents" folder manually

CODE
Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames

for both 32 and 64 bit OS versions. For EFLC it should be similar.

b) Simply start GTAIV, create a new game from the menu and save the game taking the first opportunity. Now you can look for the folder in "My Documents" and drop any savegames you have there.

You can go play now.

This is for downloaded save files, but in your case, you just need to move your own savegame to the new location. This should be about it. I'm not 100% sure this will work, but if it doesn't, make sure you install the GTA IV Patch 1.0.4.0. icon14.gif

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

but if it doesn't, make sure you install the GTA IV Patch 1.0.4.0. icon14.gif

Just a friendly heads up..That is NOT needed, as since he says he has the Steam version(Legal Download), he already has the latest version, since Steam has automatic updates-I too have the Steam version, is how I know.. smile.gif

But, yeah, IF you were using Xliveless to bypass Live, then when you do use Live, it will restart you at the beginning, since online and offline saves are not compatible, which is why downloaded saves do not work without Xliveless.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users