Photo

In game narrative?

5 replies to this topic
DymeDef
  • DymeDef

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:49 AM

Hey everyone, so I have been having trouble finding games that can hold my interest after watching the V gameplay. I decided since the gunplay will be similar to MP3 I have been playing it a lot lately. I really enjoy the gun play as it allows for so much freedom, and also penalized you for making stupid mistakes like unnecessary movement and lazy aiming. I like how each gun fight can end differently every time. Now that I got that out of the way, the one thing that sticks out to me about MP3 is the amazing narrative Max gives durring gameplay. It really adds to the situation and makes you start to think like the character. I haven't felt so tied to a character in a video game in my life and only have felt this way after reading a good book.

My question, is do you think we will get in game narrative and situation analysis by the character we control? Or do you think it will be more like IV where Niko only yelled at people shooting him or if he got ran over? Personally I think adding the MP3 narrative to GTA V could really add to the immersion and emotion of the game. I would say a quarter of the draw of MP for me are those little things max thinks durring situations, that don't necessarily help but add to the immersion, and feeling like you are actually max.

Any thoughts?

Dick Justice
  • Dick Justice

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:09 AM

Narration is something that when done right is brilliant, but when done wrong can ruin an entire story... and it's done wrong more times than right. I don't think the multiple protagonist structure allows for it at all, because it would be too disjointed, constantly switching narration as you switch characters. The fact that Max Payne is film-noir leaves it perfectly open for voice-over narration - it's a staple of that particular genre. You don't necessarily see it in the crime genre outside of Scorsese films.

I think a better way of getting into our characters head is by using supporting characters; maybe a confidant that the protagonist trusts (perhaps not entirely) to let their emotions flow. For example, Michael might have a tough-guy persona but come completely undone in the therapist chair, this immediately shows there is more to the character than meets the eye. I don't think Lamar will be this for Franklin, but rather the girl we see him with in the second trailer (could be a sister or girlfriend). It would work even better for Trevor is he didn't have someone until later, so the entire time we're thinking he's just this nutcase but then all of a sudden he opens up and we see the other "sentimental" side of him that Dan Houser mentioned.

Keep in mind, I'm very much referring to narration that carries through the whole story, little things like Carl saying, "Grove Street, Home," or Niko saying, "So this is the dream we're after," doesn't really count.

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Big Homie

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:13 AM

Honestly, I don't think it would fit in GTAV.

DymeDef
  • DymeDef

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE (man dragon @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 01:09)
Narration is something that when done right is brilliant, but when done wrong can ruin an entire story... and it's done wrong more times than right. I don't think the multiple protagonist structure allows for it at all, because it would be too disjointed, constantly switching narration as you switch characters. The fact that Max Payne is film-noir leaves it perfectly open for voice-over narration - it's a staple of that particular genre. You don't necessarily see it in the crime genre outside of Scorsese films.

I think a better way of getting into our characters head is by using supporting characters; maybe a confidant that the protagonist trusts (perhaps not entirely) to let their emotions flow. For example, Michael might have a tough-guy persona but come completely undone in the therapist chair, this immediately shows there is more to the character than meets the eye. I don't think Lamar will be this for Franklin, but rather the girl we see him with in the second trailer (could be a sister or girlfriend). It would work even better for Trevor is he didn't have someone until later, so the entire time we're thinking he's just this nutcase but then all of a sudden he opens up and we see the other "sentimental" side of him that Dan Houser mentioned.

Keep in mind, I'm very much referring to narration that carries through the whole story, little things like Carl saying, "Grove Street, Home," or Niko saying, "So this is the dream we're after," doesn't really count.

Good point, I didn't think about how weird it would be switching between characters.

Well, I guess I will enjoy it while I can with MP (Never played the first two, so the narrative is new to me). I hope at least the characters will interact with other NPCs and what not more than Niko did. He hardly ever said anything and made him feel almost like Claude outside of cut scenes and "Hey cousin, its your cousin!" phone calls. Maybe we will see narrative similar to MP3 when GTA returns to a single protagonist, or not. I guess with GTA being such an open ended experience, scripting narrative would be difficult. Hmm...

Dick Justice
  • Dick Justice

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:43 AM

If you can handle playing games that are extremely dated, I suggest you give Max Payne 1 and 2 a spin. They're classic games with stories far better than number 3, in my opinion.

DymeDef
  • DymeDef

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:49 AM

QUOTE (man dragon @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 01:43)
If you can handle playing games that are extremely dated, I suggest you give Max Payne 1 and 2 a spin. They're classic games with stories far better than number 3, in my opinion.

I have them both on my Steam profile, got them bundled for like 3.50 or some retarded deal (god I love steam sales). I might have to check them out, but I remember trying and the graphics were just hard to get by. I play Baldurs Gate and other dated games, I just have a hard time with certain ones where graphics really would help make me feel more into the game. I try not to be a graphics whore, but can be at times. Either way, I will attempt at the least to try them out lol. Though I feel like I will end up playing MP3 two more times on the hardest difficulties just because of how intense the shootouts are. REALLY enjoying it, after taking a break from release due to health cheats ruining multi (I can deal with an aimbot, they can die at some point but health cheats just don't ever die). I never played the Single Player then, and I am dumbfounded why I didn't lol. Without a doubt one of the better single player experiences I have experienced, and it's mostly due to the vibe I get while playing as Max. Don't know why but you can't help but to feel like you are in his shoes while playing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users