I think I have a coke addiction.

39 replies to this topic
Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

I am a little worried about how much coke I drink a day, I drink 1.25L a day, sometimes 2L
this has been happening for years, I'm 17 and i'm afraid of my future health problems, but it's so nice, how can I not drink so much in 1 day?

OverTheBelow
  • OverTheBelow

OTB "Oaty-Bee"

• Zaibatsu

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

Oh, I dunno, stop buying it? Find another beverage you like? Caffeine might be slightly addictive but it's extremely easy to quit compared to other substances.

You could just try switching to Coke Zero instead. Should be just as satisfying after you've got used to the taste.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• The Connection
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA Online]

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

I'm the same, although i don't drink as much as i used to, Just Drink water and try not to think about it, if water is a bit plain just mix a little orange squash with it smile.gif

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

I used to have a coke addiction long ago, but then one day I just stopped drinking it, and today I can't stand the taste of it. Best decision I've ever made if you ask me ...

I only drink water these days (mostly)

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

Another thread by you eh.. challenge accepted.

You have afew choices, son.

1. Quit drinking coke
2. Convert to a Caffeine Free Coke, preferably Diet or Zero
3. Keep coke'n and develop dick stones (not cool at all, had one myself months back)

I used to be a hardcore soft drink person myself.. but after pissing out that stone, I gave it up. I'm strictly water or juice now. I'll have a soda on occasion if at a ball game or something but that's it.

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

No Sleep Till Broker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

user posted image
And start drinking more water.

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (GunWrath @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 14:44)
Another thread by you eh.. challenge accepted.

You have afew choices, son.

1. Quit drinking coke
2. Convert to a Caffeine Free Coke, preferably Diet or Zero
3. Keep coke'n and develop dick stones (not cool at all, had one myself months back)

I used to be a hardcore soft drink person myself.. but after pissing out that stone, I gave it up. I'm strictly water or juice now. I'll have a soda on occasion if at a ball game or something but that's it.

is there a problem with my threads?

I doubt I could straight out stop drinking it.
I might try a diet coke.
That's brutal as.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

You'll see soon if there's anything wrong with them or not.

I'd suggest you quit cold turkey or start on Zero, honestly. You'll feel better as well.. once the caffeine headaches go away.. but drinking that much coke excessively will and can result in diabetes as well.

MIGta
  • MIGta

• Members
  • England

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

Coke is f*cking disgusting and not in the slightest thirst quenching. I've seen/heard some nasty things about what it does to your insides as well. Its totally not worth it, at least get addicted to a drink that will get you drunk.

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (GunWrath @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 14:50)
You'll see soon if there's anything wrong with them or not.

I'd suggest you quit cold turkey or start on Zero, honestly. You'll feel better as well.. once the caffeine headaches go away.. but drinking that much coke excessively will and can result in diabetes as well.

How so?

ill try, even though you're half bagging my post, you're actually the most helpful, so thanks.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

Transitioning to a decaffeinated version of coke, or another soft drink, won't reverse the damage that x years worth of overconsumption of phosphates will have done to your bones and teeth. High intake of phosphate-heavy sodas has been tied to osteoporosis and other degenerative skeletal conditions. Effectively it can make your bones brittle.

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 15:04)
Transitioning to a decaffeinated version of coke, or another soft drink, won't reverse the damage that x years worth of overconsumption of phosphates will have done to your bones and teeth. High intake of phosphate-heavy sodas has been tied to osteoporosis and other degenerative skeletal conditions. Effectively it can make your bones brittle.

Yay. :'(

Cheat
  • Cheat

the only people for me are the mad ones

• The Connection

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

How the f*ck can you even have a soda addiction? Just stop drinking it, it's not like you're going to have any physical withdrawal symptoms. It's not good for your body and you're probably spending a huge amount of money on it, just think about how much it makes a year or even a month..

Melchior
  • Melchior

The lights are so bright, but they never blind me

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • China

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

No one has suggested switching to coffee?

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

Anything 80's

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (MIGta @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 16:52)
Coke is f*cking disgusting and not in the slightest thirst quenching. I've seen/heard some nasty things about what it does to your insides as well. Its totally not worth it, at least get addicted to a drink that will get you drunk.

Yeah cause those won't do any harm to your insides at all. sarcasm.gif

MIGta
  • MIGta

• Members
  • England

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (Andreaz1 @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 15:49)
QUOTE (MIGta @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 16:52)

Yeah cause those won't do any harm to your insides at all. sarcasm.gif

I never said they wouldn't did I? I was just saying if you are going to do yourself harm at least do it with something that gets you drunk.

Original Light
  • Original Light

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

Sometimes the best way to quit something is by doing something else.

Simply don't drink it.

Doing something else to get your mind of it is essential to quitting an addiction. Stay busy, and you'll most likely not think about it.

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

Best advise is to drink slower, it will have you drinking less in no-time.

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:06 PM Edited by NCONiall, 12 July 2013 - 04:08 PM.

I would not recommend switching to the sugar-free alternatives such as Diet and Zero - high sugar content is not the only damaging factor to consider. Carbonated drinks in general will always be bad for you in a way, and this is especially noticeable if you have acid reflux.

It is ok every now and again but drinking 1L - 2L a day is definitely a bad habit and you know that. I used to drink a lot of carbonated lemon-flavoured drinks but stopped as I have acid reflux and it was really taking its toll. I switched to no-added-sugar fruit squashes (diluted with water). They aren't perfect (in terms of health) but it has made me feel much better.

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 16:04)

Thanks Raavi

Nebby
  • Nebby

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

I used to go through about half a liter each day until I switched to bottled water which really worked for me. Its really unhealthy to continue to do so and you'll almost certainly notice weight loss if you stop - dramatic or not. I'm sure you possess the will power to get yourself over it.

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (Method @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 16:22)
I used to go through about half a liter each day until I switched to bottled water which really worked for me. Its really unhealthy to continue to do so and you'll almost certainly notice weight loss if you stop - dramatic or not. I'm sure you possess the will power to get yourself over it.

i'm only 64kgs!

Nebby
  • Nebby

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (legend9090 @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 12:26)

i'm only 64kgs!

Haha, well, you must have a pretty decent metabolism then! I remember when I was twelve/thirteen I had gained a massive amount of weight from eating nothing but fast food and drinking tons and tons of soda, which went on for literally months. Regardless of your weight I would pressume that its still unhealthy to be drinking so much a day. Just buy a case of water and some juice and be on your way. Its quite easy. Although I'm probably looking way too much into this. tounge.gif

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (Method @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 16:38)
QUOTE (legend9090 @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 12:26)

i'm only 64kgs!

Haha, well, you must have a pretty decent metabolism then! I remember when I was twelve/thirteen I had gained a massive amount of weight from eating nothing but fast food and drinking tons and tons of soda, which went on for literally months. Regardless of your weight I would pressume that its still unhealthy to be drinking so much a day. Just buy a case of water and some juice and be on your way. Its quite easy. Although I'm probably looking way too much into this. tounge.gif

Yeah it's incredibly fast, couldn't put on weight even if I wanted too!

Yeah I also eat KFC like 3 times a week, I've got to stop this sh*t.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• The Connection
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA Online]

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

You should try Pepsi Max, No sugar,but it has sweetners but its not as bad as sugar

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:02 PM Edited by Otter, 12 July 2013 - 05:04 PM.

QUOTE (legend9090 @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 06:28)
I am a little worried about how much coke I drink a day, I drink 1.25L a day, sometimes 2L
this has been happening for years, I'm 17 and i'm afraid of my future health problems, but it's so nice, how can I not drink so much in 1 day?

Think of it like a challenge. I went two years without caffeine because I, too, was overdoing it. It becomes a game - you tally the days you've gone, even brag about it to everyone you meet (they won't care, but really, it's not about them) and stick with it. It's not an addiction (aside from a brief "withdrawal" your body is not as dependant on caffeine as you may think) it's a habit. And breaking a habit, rule of thumb, takes a month.

The main thing you should be concerned about at this point is your teeth. That's your life set you've got right now. Everything else; grain of salt. You're young. Despite some pessimism to the contrary, you're not gonna develop osteoporosis in your twenties.

So now that I've returned to drinking the stuff I do so in far more moderation. Although I have been known to clear a sixpack of Diet Coke while on a work bender. wink.gif

Caryx
  • Caryx

Get off my lawn

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

The only time I really drink coke is if I'm mixing it with a spirit. I do admit that it is quite refreshing, but nowhere near as much as water and it doesn't quench your thirst for sh*t. Seriously, if I drink a can of coke I'll be thirsty again in like half hour, it's ridiculous.

WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

WHAT!?

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (legend9090 @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 11:11)
QUOTE (Raavi @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 16:04)

Thanks Raavi

This as well.

In high school I was ridiculous when it came to Coke. I was drinking one to two liters a day like you are. Just stop slamming that sh*t so quickly. If you are having a two liter a day now then only buy a one liter and drink one a day for a week, then go down to a 20oz... then a 16, a 12, an 8. You see where I am going? I can grab a 20oz now and have it last me most of a day. The sh*t is addictive, and I don't think its the caffeine. It's just so damn good. tounge.gif That plus the carbonation. I just don't get satisfaction from any other beverage in the same way I do when I drink a Coke. It is horrible for you though, especially in large doses. I stopped drinking it for about a year because I got serious about my weight lifting. I switched to nothing but water and the occasional beer. I dropped weight almost instantly... After a while though I decided I enjoyed hanging out and drinking Coke more then I enjoyed working on my beefcake in the gym. Ah well.

Honestly though I would stay away from the diet stuff. I don't trust anything with artificial sweeteners. I can't be bothered to go through and site sources at the moment but I have read quite a few study's that show there are negative side effects to diet drinks. I know for example that Harvard University (I think) did a ten year study on a group of diet soda drinkers vs regular soda. At the end of the ten years they found that on average the diet soda group was actually more over weight and in poorer health.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

That was a recent study and it's debatable. And claims that Aspartame is bad for you come from a lot of the same sources that claim MSG is bad for you. It's all loosey goosey science that hinges on the existence of a conspiracy - and I'm not saying that there are no food-related conspiracies out there, but in a litigious society it's bad business to market something that kills you. Try finding a cigarette ad these days. And there are people out there who wouldn't touch aspartame with a tenfoot pole yet they smoke themselves silly. It's a cult of misinformation.

dangr
  • dangr

Hustler

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

I know that feel bro.
I stopped drinking that much coke 2 years ago.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users