Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA III does not have the f word in its storyline?

35 replies to this topic
Rytuklis
  • Rytuklis

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

I just noticed something new. Is it just me or no character in GTA III storyline ever says the word "f*ck" ?

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

Maybe the peds. But I can't really remember, through no major character ever dropped the f bomb.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

Grand Theft Auto III Chain Game Former Chief

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

That proves only one thing: a game can be cool and hard core even without much swearing. There are so many other factors that affect the general impression...

It seems to me now that Rockstar were only trying to cover up the lack of hardcore in further III era GTAs by relying much on swearing... Pretty low, as for me...
  • Vice City criminal likes this

ThatSpecialSomeone
  • ThatSpecialSomeone

• Members
  • Slovakia

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 10:53)
That proves only one thing: a game can be cool and hard core even without much swearing. There are so many other factors that affect the general impression...

It seems to me now that Rockstar were only trying to cover up the lack of hardcore in further III era GTAs by relying much on swearing... Pretty low, as for me...

Well said. In my opinion usage of swear words is largely dependent on what characters are in particular videogame. For example let's look at Donald Love. Would you imagine him saying words like "f*ck, nigga" etc. ? No, I don't think so. Guy like Love who always sounds professional and stays cool and calm wouldn't use such words, because it just won't fit to his character. Even San Andreas, GTA game with the biggest ammount of swearing words has characters who use them rarely, or even completely not. I can't recall Woozie or even Toreno, using much if any swear words, it just won't be normal with their personality. San Andreas contains so much swear words, because large part of its story is set in the hood. GTA III on other hand has its story set in totally different place, with different characters.
  • _Douglas_, Mr. Jago and Shoumic like this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

-_-

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (0909090 @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 11:38)
QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 10:53)

Well said. In my opinion usage of swear words is largely dependent on what characters are in particular videogame. For example let's look at Donald Love. Would you imagine him saying words like "f*ck, nigga" etc. ? No, I don't think so. Guy like Love who always sounds professional and stays cool and calm wouldn't use such words, because it just won't fit to his character. Even San Andreas, GTA game with the biggest ammount of swearing words has characters who use them rarely, or even completely not. I can't recall Woozie or even Toreno, using much if any swear words, it just won't be normal with their personality. San Andreas contains so much swear words, because large part of its story is set in the hood. GTA III on other hand has its story set in totally different place, with different characters.

Agreed with both points. Games don't need swearing to be cool, do they? Especially ones that are set in areas where swearing is a lesser habit (As said, GTA SA had lots of swearing due to 'the hood' setting)

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (GTAKid667 @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 14:52)
As said, GTA SA had lots of swearing due to 'the hood' setting

Well, not only that.

If we are to remember LCS, Toni swears a god-damn lot for an "Italian American" (as he claims himself to be). And Toni has no connection to the hood at all...

Salvatore does swear too, in LCS. And while one could try to explain that he's too much stressed out and paranoid by 1998 to think about what he's saying and what's the manner he's saying it, how come he's not swearing in GTA III? (GTA San Andreas would be explainable from that point...)

lloydo
  • lloydo

Count

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

San Andreas shocked me for the amount of bad language. Even if it was set in a gang land. I hope GTAV isn't polluted with it.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

This really does prove the point that a game doesn't have to have loads of swearing to be "cool". GTA III's profanity level is perfect.

Jericho176
  • Jericho176

Spoon Killer

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

GTA III and Vice City don't have any curse words (apart from "sh*t", "crap", "asshole", "dick" and "pussy" if you count that)... or at least I haven't heard any. There certainly isn't any F bombs in them. I guess it all started from San Andreas onwards ph34r.gif

But what's wrong if there's no swearing? It's still one of the greatest games ever. Games were considered cool and entertaining without having to judge their multiplayer modes, "realistic graphics", their size or the amount of curse words used in them (which is NOT the case anymore confused.gif ).

Rytuklis
  • Rytuklis

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (Jericho176 @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 14:47)
GTA III and Vice City don't have any curse words (apart from "sh*t", "crap", "asshole", "dick" and "pussy" if you count that)... or at least I haven't heard any. There certainly isn't any F bombs in them. I guess it all started from San Andreas onwards ph34r.gif

But what's wrong if there's no swearing? It's still one of the greatest games ever. Games were considered cool and entertaining without having to judge their multiplayer modes, "realistic graphics", their size or the amount of curse words used in them (which is NOT the case anymore confused.gif ).

Mafia I did not have any swearing, noir did Max Payne 1 and 2, yet they were perfect games.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

-_-

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

^ To me I think that there is nothing wrong with no swearing and that games could actually be just as good even without the swearing! I agree that today the gaming industry is a completely new thing! smile.gif

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

Alot of games out there even go over-the-top with swearing. It can even ruin a game to a point. Loads of swearing does NOT make a game better at all.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

-_-

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

^I agree, I have played loads of good games with no swearing in, there are thousands out there but the popular ones still seem to have some level of profanity.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (GTAKid667 @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 17:38)
^I agree, I have played loads of good games with no swearing in, there are thousands out there but the popular ones still seem to have some level of profanity.

It's completely okay to have a bit of profanity, but not "loads" of it.
  • A.C. likes this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

-_-

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

^Agreed but there are still so many popular games out with stupid levels of profanity in, it sounds like those idiots on the forums who rant about games "DIS GAME IS sh*tZ" etc

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

Actually, the game has the F word, just so it's cut out when things come close to saying it. So far I've found two instances of it.

1. Lips 106: "Joyride" by Da Shootaz. In the original one of the lines reads as:
"NYPD... LAPD... SFPD... Don't f*ck with me!"
However, in GTA III, the F word is timely covered with "106!". So the line now reads:
"NYPD... LAPD... SFPD... 106!"

2. Game Radio: don't remember the song, but there is a word - "motherf*ckers". However, it's timely cut out by an upcoming commercial:
"[song lyrics enging]... Motherf- [instant switch onto commercial]
Wold you like a kitten? Have one delivered! just log on to PetsOverNight.com etc"
  • SpeedMaster14 likes this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

-_-

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

Good find Arsen icon14.gif , although it is cut out it can still be considered I suppose. I love that commercial at the end tounge2.gif

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

Anything 80's

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

Rockstar wasn't very well known by the time they released GTA III so they might have wanted to be careful with the script in order to avoid the game getting bad ratings or such. Imagine if GTA San Andreas would have been their first game.

Either way I don't care one bit. GTA III is still as epic a game as it ever was. Swearing or profanity wouldn't have added anything at all of value. In fact, it may have only done the opposite.

GTAforthe21thcentury
  • GTAforthe21thcentury

Thug

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

And in vice city. It was a requirement by esrb. If they said f*ck, the game would have been rated adults only.

caseclosedjk
  • caseclosedjk

Forum Bastard

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:06 AM

Alot of games out there even go over-the-top with swearing. It can even ruin a game to a point. Loads of swearing does NOT make a game better at all.

That game on the crapbox called Conker: Live and reloaded learned that lesson...

lol232
  • lol232

The Harwood Butcher

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

Same with Vice City, but they do say the word 'sh*t' in the both games.

MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

DON'T TOUCH ME YOU FILTHY CASUAL

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:05 PM Edited by MrPeteyMax, 12 October 2013 - 12:06 PM.

GTA Vice City and GTA III don't contain the word "f*ck."

I think... THINK Tommy says it ONCE in VC maybe. When he's got Kent up by the collar, questioning where Lance is, I swear he says "f*ck..." under his breath. Non subtitled. Who knows?

cldd
  • cldd

Prankster

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

Same with "Life is but a mere supply of a few good f*cks and then you die".

RealTuff
  • RealTuff

Ego Driven Asshole

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:01 AM

Same with "Life is but a mere supply of a few good f*cks and then you die".

Can't find anything wrong with this statement. Can someone post a map of all the good f*cks?

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Verrekte Mongol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

That's because the f-word didn't exist prior to 2003.

MyDog
  • MyDog

FC BARCELONA

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

SA is the first to feature f*cks.

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:12 PM Edited by Rainbow Party, 18 October 2013 - 04:14 PM.

The game came out in 2001, people didn't need to put the F word in every sentence back then. I don't recall people even saying WTF back in 2001. Good times. Now the F word has no meaning at all because everyone says it so much.

@Arsen Vitiuk: About the song in Lips 106

Haha I noticed that too!

The Mysterious One
  • The Mysterious One

Crackhead

• Members

Posted A week ago

The first time I had ever heard the F-word used in a game was probably "The Getaway." That game had a lot of swearing if I recall. As for the GTA games, are you guys forgetting those posters in Phil Cassidy's trailer that say "It ****ing rocks!" and "It still ****ing rocks"? I know you have to be in the trailer to see them, but that's as far as it goes with the F-word being used in "Vice City."

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Verrekte Mongol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

As for the GTA games, are you guys forgetting those posters in Phil Cassidy's trailer that say "It ****ing rocks!" and "It still ****ing rocks"? I know you have to be in the trailer to see them, but that's as far as it goes with the F-word being used in "Vice City."

Chick%27s_%27N%27_Guns_II.jpg

I remember seeing it, but at first I thought it was some sort of random gibberish like the lettering at the bottom considering it's quality in-game

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

Mark Chump

• Members
  • Poland

Posted A week ago

Remember Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven? NO SWEARS! And the game is still one of the best gangster-mafia based games ever.

• CasualSergiu likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users