Quantcast

» «
Photo

Silver Linings Playbook / Jennifer Lawrence / WTF

10 replies to this topic
UrbanTheEmcee
  • UrbanTheEmcee

I'm that bada** n*gga yo moms warned you about.

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

Silver Linings Playbook)

Every year some indie market movie comes out that everybody overhypes. This is not a bad movie, but it's not a great one either. You have a decent performance by Robert DeNiro, a okay performance by Bradley Cooper, a mostly wasted use of Chris Tucker, and a good performance by Jennifer Lawrence. The script deals in temporary insanity, OCD, and bipolar disorder, but for the most part ask nothing more than it's cast show the right emotions. Anger, confusion, and love. I didn't feel like anybody bared their soul, nobody became invulnerable enough to make me believe they disappeared into their character, it was just an okay movie.

Jennifer Lawrence winning an Oscar)

For my above reasons I don't feel Jennifer Lawrence deserved an Oscar for this movie. She is a good young actress who I'm sure will play a role where she earns the gold, but this wasn't it. When you have people like Leonardo DiCaprio who have turned in great performance after great performance but no Oscar, it makes you question the process.

WTF)

I think part of the problem is Hollywood's need to have a young actress be a star. I don't have a problem with any actress being a star as long as they've earned it through hard work and talent. Hollywood is making a lot of blockbuster movies with young actors and female leads these days, and with that market being profitable you need strong or at least popular female characters. The problem with this is the process is being rushed, and every year a new actress is being shoved down are throats. Just my thoughts.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

How does Meryl Streep fit into your 'Young Actress' theory? wink.gif

I think the larger picture is asking who produced what; the producers and their proxies have a lot of control over what gets attention and what is overly ignored.

That said, I felt Silver Linings was a great film and that perhaps you're overlooking the power of a precocious performance out of a rising star. Compare her to a lot of the overwrought, playbook, cookiecutter performances we got last year and I think she is as lucky as she is talented.

She's been great in pretty much everything I've ever seen her in...

UrbanTheEmcee
  • UrbanTheEmcee

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 09:54)
How does Meryl Streep fit into your 'Young Actress' theory? wink.gif

I think the larger picture is asking who produced what; the producers and their proxies have a lot of control over what gets attention and what is overly ignored.

That said, I felt Silver Linings was a great film and that perhaps you're overlooking the power of a precocious performance out of a rising star. Compare her to a lot of the overwrought, playbook, cookiecutter performances we got last year and I think she is as lucky as she is talented.

She's been great in pretty much everything I've ever seen her in...

Meryl Streep lost to Jennifer Hudson back in 2007.

While Julie vs Julia wasn't a master class in acting, it was better than a young Jennifer Hudosn winning for Dream Girls.
The system is flawed.

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Zaibatsu
  • France

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:16 PM Edited by rudy., 11 July 2013 - 03:20 PM.

QUOTE (UrbanTheEmcee @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 14:47)
Jennifer Lawrence winning an Oscar)

For my above reasons I don't feel Jennifer Lawrence deserved an Oscar for this movie. She is a good young actress who I'm sure will play a role where she earns the gold, but this wasn't it. When you have people like Leonardo DiCaprio who have turned in great performance after great performance but no Oscar, it makes you question the process.

Out of interest, why?

Jennifer Lawrence is the film’s greatest asset IMHO. She is a phenomenal actress, beautiful enough and truly shines in this role, always bringing that off-kilter personality, but never forgetting that her character is emotionally damaged, and I think She’s always on par with the other actors around her.

I was rather disappointed by Jackie Weavers getting nominated for Oscars in this movie. Sure, it was for Supporting actress role, but she had like four lines in the whole movie and they all come in the first quarter.

But I do love her in Animal Kingdom.

E-grammar..!

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

If you're looking at Best Actress as an indicator of a flaw, you've missed the boat indeed. wink.gif and you know what I meant about Streep. Losing to Hudson wasn't a surprise to anyone, was it?

What everyone fails to account for is that the academy has no metrics for awards nor should they. It's an objective panel that is outdated by nature and hardly ever aims for 'fairness'. The 'system' is as it always has been.

It's not just the Oscars, either. It's any awards show. I work in advertising so I see a lot of this stuff.

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

You lost me at "Leonardo DiCaprio turns is great performance after great performance."

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

I think Silver Lingings playbook was great. I've have been diagnosed with clinical depression when I was a teenager and I keep going in and out of it. Well, it's looking like its a form of bi-polar. This film resonated with me as someone with mental illness and as an amateur filmmaker.

For me, Lawrences performance was one if the best I've seen. I thought it as I was watching.

Hype is hype. If a million people say Silver Linings Playbook is amazing one week. And your friend tells you about film like Amelie and you never heard of it.. Doesn't mean Silver Linings Playbook is a million times better. A million people one week say SLP is great.. doesn't make it a better film. Just means a lot of people liked it.

Thankfully, I just watched it because it had a high rating on RottenTomatoes. I seen a score for it, nothing more.

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Zaibatsu
  • France

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:33 PM Edited by rudy., 13 July 2013 - 03:36 PM.

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 12:51)
Hype is hype. If a million people say Silver Linings Playbook is amazing one week. And your friend tells you about film like Amelie and you never heard of it.. Doesn't mean Silver Linings Playbook is a million times better. A million people one week say SLP is great.. doesn't make it a better film. Just means a lot of people liked it.

Word, word, word! icon14.gif

This movie deserves all the accolades and award nominations it has got. Not only are the performances incredible, but the chemistry and interpersonal relationships helped drive the movie as well. I was really impressed with Bradley Cooper and how he handled this character who's dealing with a mental disorder/chemical imbalance and how that issue is affecting his life after a stint in a mental institution.

Again, Lawrence is the greatest asset in this movie. inlove.gif

UrbanTheEmcee
  • UrbanTheEmcee

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (Marlowe. @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 07:17)
You lost me at "Leonardo DiCaprio turns is great performance after great performance."

Really, your going to diss DiCaprio.
SMH, hoping you don't respond to this.

UrbanTheEmcee
  • UrbanTheEmcee

• Members

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (rudy. @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 10:33)
QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 12:51)

Word, word, word! icon14.gif

This movie deserves all the accolades and award nominations it has got. Not only are the performances incredible, but the chemistry and interpersonal relationships helped drive the movie as well. I was really impressed with Bradley Cooper and how he handled this character who's dealing with a mental disorder/chemical imbalance and how that issue is affecting his life after a stint in a mental institution.

Again, Lawrence is the greatest asset in this movie. inlove.gif

Jennifer Lawrence was the best part of the movie, I just don't believe that her performance was award winning. They didn't dive deep enough into bi-polar disorder. I feel like the bi-polar disorder was used very lightly, and didn't challenge her enough. Cooper's character convinced me more of his disorder than hers did. He had conviction. You kept saying to yourself, "what's wrong with this guy, is he crazy. I've seen people with this disorder drive their loved ones to the edge, only to have them recognize how fragile the person was. I kind of feel like they wanted this film to be a love movie were the struggle was disorder, instead of it being a movie about disorder were love was the struggle. What I'm saying is that disorder took a back seat to love watering down how I feel about this movie.

I guess when it's all said and done the female leads were rather weak that year, so her winning is not unjust.

TheBlackPeterParker.
  • TheBlackPeterParker.

616 Hero.

• Members

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (UrbanTheEmcee @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 16:39)
QUOTE (Marlowe. @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 07:17)

Really, your going to diss DiCaprio.
SMH, hoping you don't respond to this.

I loved him in Romeo and Juliette and Titanic. inlove.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users