Quantcast

» «
Photo

Rockstar... Why ?!

200 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you happy about the weapon wheel in V (987 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you happy about the weapon wheel in V

1. Yea (885 votes [93.45%])

Percentage of vote: 93.45%

2. No (62 votes [6.55%])

Percentage of vote: 6.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote
JMan2
  • JMan2

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

There's going against tradition and then there's simply making good improvements. The weapon wheel in RDR was convenient and a big improvement, so I'm glad they've kept it in this.

dagangsta
  • dagangsta

^^SWAG^^

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE (JMan2 @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 13:23)
Quit bitchin mate. You gotta move on.

Just to make a point, I'm not bitching about it but I wanted to express myself. And GTA Forums is the best place to do it.

CalgaryJay
  • CalgaryJay

Thug

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

IMO hating the weapon wheel for replacing cycling through weapons is probably akin to people hating when cars first started replacing horses. I can think of no other reason to prefer the old way than nostalgia. It's progression, and a very good thing.

The absolute worst was getting into a gunfight out in the open and realizing you were stuck on brass knuckles, then having to stressfully cycle over to a proper gun while getting shot up. Gawd that was frustrating, so glad its gone.

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:52 PM Edited by josephene123, 12 July 2013 - 06:58 PM.

QUOTE (Sticky Pads @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 13:19)
QUOTE (josephene123 @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 00:43)
Can people email Rockstar to ask for clarification on what the guy said in the CVG interview that we never lose our guns through the whole game as meaning even if we are caught by the cops we don't lose our weapons?

Remember how in GTAIV if your gun ran out of ammo it would disappear from your inventory? Now you keep the gun even if it runs out of ammo, like in RDR.

Yes, I've said many times I understand this.

However, in the interview he said pretty clearly "This time you will always keep your guns, so you will never lose a gun, so your guns are going to be with you throughout the whole game"

To which Tim asked "So once you've picked up a gun, that stays with you.. throughout? So you never lose that?" and he replied "No, so it will stay with you through the whole game"

I can't tell if that means both A) you keep your gun and it stays in your inventory at all times. And B) Even if you are to be caught by the police, you still keep your guns.

The Viperman
  • The Viperman

Peon

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

The majority has spoken, the wheel is a good change.
Honestly, IMO scrolling through your weapons should only be used in PC games.

Лёшенька
  • Лёшенька

KGB agent

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (jackass2009 @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 00:44)
"Tradition and heritage are all dead people's baggage, stop carrying it. Move forward." - Doug Stanhope

It's a great improvement. f*ck everyone who disagrees.

Reported.

Honestly, IMO scrolling through your weapons should only be used in PC games.

Precisely. I don't care how its done on colsoles, as long as it is playable on PC.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:18 PM Edited by jamieleng, 12 July 2013 - 07:21 PM.

You gave absolutely no reasons why you prefer the old method. Others have given you plenty of reasons why the weapon wheel is an improvement. Introduced in RDR, carried over to MP3 & perfected for V. They don't just throw things in for the sake of it.

However, in the interview he said pretty clearly "This time you will always keep your guns, so you will never lose a gun, so your guns are going to be with you throughout the whole game"

Yeah, you can see that one of Franklin's guns (shotgun I think) has zero ammo.

TheJasonGallant
  • TheJasonGallant

Random Player

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

Weapon wheel is just so much better. It's faster and better. Even if you have just 3 weapons(look MP3) it's still much more effective than scrolling weapons.

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (jamieleng @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 19:18)

Yeah, can see that, what's your point?

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

• Members
  • England

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:26 PM Edited by jamieleng, 12 July 2013 - 07:28 PM.

QUOTE (josephene123 @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 19:24)

In IV your gun would disappear from your inventory when you ran out of ammo for it. Or Niko throws it on the ground to be more specific (I never run out of ammo).

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (jamieleng @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 19:26)

In IV your gun would disappear from your inventory when you ran out of ammo for it.

"Yes, I've said many times I understand this.

To which Tim asked "So once you've picked up a gun, that stays with you.. throughout? So you never lose that?" and he replied "No, so it will stay with you through the whole game"

I can't tell if that means both A) you keep your gun and it stays in your inventory at all times. And B) Even if you are to be caught by the police, you still keep your guns."

Sorry if I sound a little up my ass

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

• Members
  • England

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:51 PM Edited by jamieleng, 12 July 2013 - 07:54 PM.

QUOTE (josephene123 @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 19:30)

In IV your gun would disappear from your inventory when you ran out of ammo for it.

I can't tell if that means both A) you keep your gun and it stays in your inventory at all times. And B) Even if you are to be caught by the police, you still keep your guns."

It will be exactly like RDR. Once you have gained access to a weapon, you will be able to access all of them, at any time. In RDR, you could bring up the weapon wheel, select weapon & use the left & right d-pad to scroll through all the guns in that category (shotguns, rifles, sniper rifles, pistols etc) you've unlocked or bought so far.

For people who wanted only be able to carry 3-4 guns at a time (like MP3), this is the complete opposite.

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (jamieleng @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 19:51)
QUOTE (josephene123 @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 19:30)

It will be exactly like RDR. Once you have gained access to a weapon, you will be able to access all of them, at any time. In RDR, you could bring up the weapon wheel, select weapon & use the left & right d-pad to scroll through all the guns you've unlocked or bought.

For people who wanted to only be able to carry 3-4 guns at a time (like MP3), this is the complete opposite.

Yeah I know all of that. I guess it might answer the first part of my question because I kind of meant are there ever loadouts or anything and you have a limit on the amount of weapons you have at one time because it'd be weird to keep around 30+ weapons even if it's on the wheel system(keep some at the safehouse), but the second part is much more important to me.

Do we lose weapons when we are caught by the police? I hope so.

GTAVTheHeat
  • GTAVTheHeat

I can't picture life without a point of view..

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:59 PM Edited by GTAVTheHeat, 12 July 2013 - 08:03 PM.

QUOTE (assmillk @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 01:31)
QUOTE (WildBrick142 @ Wednesday, Jul 10 2013, 15:39)
5 stars, square map, weapon wheel. These things RUINED GTA! I feel like it turns into some Saints Row/Watch Dogs hybrid.
I prefer scrolling through weapons than having this huge f*cking wheel blocking off entire screen.

You can hate me for this post. I dont give a sh*t. It's my opinion.

The game pauses when you open the weapon wheel...So I don't see why the f*ck you're complaining about it blocking the screen. It's like you people don't want this game to be good?

Yeah , very good point. I dont remember if RDR stopped the game when choosing weapons, that would be the only problem I would see about feeling rushed and choosing the wrong weapon in a wheel. I had the same problem with RDR and choosing the wrong weapon. Maybe because you had to hold the button to choose resulting in some weird stuff happening after you released which is solely based on the person playing. I sucked at RDR but was awesome at GTAIV and meh at Max Payne 3. Hopefully there's a choice to either toggle the wheel or press to hold option available.

Also I'm not too sure why I feel this way but I'm getting the impression that V will be the most user friendly game to date, and that they just might offer a variety of playstyles that will tailor to how different people play the game. I myself would want as many people to enjoy it as possible, and while you can't please everyone, decreasing this number as much as possible should be a goal.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

• Members
  • England

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:06 PM Edited by jamieleng, 12 July 2013 - 08:13 PM.

Well, yes, it would make sense you would lose your weapons if you were arrested. In RDR, it made a bit more sense you'd keep your weapons after you were released from prison. Maybe you'll lose all your ammo & weapons, but once you'd revisited your safehouse you'd be able to gain access to your weapons again.

I think Rockstar have knocked the 'realism over fun' on the head. I know it might seem like pandering to the casual crowd, not punishing you enough for failure. I think freedom, fun & ease of experimentation is the ethos of V. I still think you'll have to work/hustle hard to get the high end gear.

The game pauses when you open the weapon wheel...So I don't see why the f*ck you're complaining about it blocking the screen. It's like you people don't want this game to be good?

The game doesn't pause, the background blurs & time slows down when you open the weapon wheel. I imagine you'll still take damage, it just gives you a bit of extra time. I wonder if it still slows if you are in cover, I'm guessing it probably still does.

There was one weird thing in that part of the trailer. Franklin misses a guy on the left & then shoots all the Ballas members on those vantage points. But it's like the guy behind him doesn't even shoot you in the back. Franklin only takes damage when he's in cover behind the car, which is even more strange.

dagangsta
  • dagangsta

^^SWAG^^

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (GTAVTheHeat @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 19:59)
5 stars, square map, weapon wheel. These things RUINED GTA! I feel like it turns into some Saints Row/Watch Dogs hybrid.
I prefer scrolling through weapons than having this huge f*cking wheel blocking off entire screen.

Yeah , very good point. I dont remember if RDR stopped the game when choosing weapons, that would be the only problem I would see about feeling rushed and choosing the wrong weapon in a wheel. I had the same problem with RDR and choosing the wrong weapon. Maybe because you had to hold the button to choose resulting in some weird stuff happening after you released which is solely based on the person playing. I sucked at RDR but was awesome at GTAIV and meh at Max Payne 3. [COLOR=red]Hopefully there's a choice to either toggle the wheel or press to hold option available.[COLOR=red]

Also I'm not too sure why I feel this way but I'm getting the impression that V will be the most user friendly game to date, and that they just might offer a variety of playstyles that will tailor to how different people play the game. I myself would want as many people to enjoy it as possible, and while you can't please everyone, decreasing this number as much as possible should be a goal.

Highlighted bit I really agree with. I also hope that you will be able to change the weapon wheel into a normal weapon choosing technique. And that it didn't pause the game when choosing weapons in RDR and many times I ended up getting killed. So yeah, I still like the traditional way of switching weapons from previous GTA'S. No matter what you say.

GTAVTheHeat
  • GTAVTheHeat

I can't picture life without a point of view..

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (dagangsta @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 20:26)
QUOTE (GTAVTheHeat @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 19:59)

Yeah , very good point. I dont remember if RDR stopped the game when choosing weapons, that would be the only problem I would see about feeling rushed and choosing the wrong weapon in a wheel. I had the same problem with RDR and choosing the wrong weapon. Maybe because you had to hold the button to choose resulting in some weird stuff happening after you released which is solely based on the person playing. I sucked at RDR but was awesome at GTAIV and meh at Max Payne 3. [COLOR=red]Hopefully there's a choice to either toggle the wheel or press to hold option available.[COLOR=red]

Highlighted bit I really agree with. I also hope that you will be able to change the weapon wheel into a normal weapon choosing technique. And that it didn't pause the game when choosing weapons in RDR and many times I ended up getting killed. So yeah, I still like the traditional way of switching weapons from previous GTA'S. No matter what you say.

I think the fact he brought up the entire screen being blocked would apply if you already didn't know where people are (which is the whole point of the minimap) Not only that but say if the weapon wheel didn't pause the gameplay (which in GTAV it in fact did pause) then the wheel would be a big problem because of course you'd get shot while choosing. But this way is much quicker and I can remember I had to get in the car and have my weapon already selected and guess the situation at hand before going into battle, where as with this you can switch on the fly so its much more intuitive and responsive. Switching to your rocket from an assault rifle wasn't very easy and you would get shot while doing so with no cover available.

Of course there was a quick weapon select in GTAIV while holding the L1 or LB and pressing a direction on the d-pad with up being assault and sub machine, down was shotgun, left was hand gun, and right was thrown weapons, this caused some problem for those wanting to switch to either sniper or rocket launcher and depending on health, you would be dead. V offers more leeway when in a tight situation if judged from the gameplay video.

People don't like to get killed while choosing, thats the main argument for why the wheel was chosen for showcase.

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (dagangsta @ Wednesday, Jul 10 2013, 15:23)
I was just guttered when I saw the weapon wheel in there as I really enjoyed the traditional way of switching weapons cryani.gif . Post your thoughts here.

Play RDR and get back to me. The Weapon Wheel sh*ts on the slow ass weapon switching.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

• Members
  • England

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

I also hope that you will be able to change the weapon wheel into a normal weapon choosing technique. And that it didn't pause the game when choosing weapons in RDR and many times I ended up getting killed. So yeah, I still like the traditional way of switching weapons from previous GTA'S. No matter what you say.

Well, unless they give you the option for the old weapon selection, I guess you'll just have to deal with it. Most people like it, it is easier & faster, so Rockstar did the right thing in changing it. No matter what you say.

fastetshot
  • fastetshot

I'm very serious.

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

Those who are not happy with the weapon wheel are so STUPID that they can't even see how simple is to use this method in a combat.

Лёшенька
  • Лёшенька

KGB agent

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:55 AM

QUOTE (fastetshot @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 20:51)
Those who are not happy with the weapon wheel are so STUPID that they can't even see how simple is to use this method in a combat.

We've seen plenty of "improvements" in gaming industry as a whole and GTA in particular, thank you very much. I'd rather not take the risk. Everything that GTA IV brought was a failure for me. confused.gif I hope V will not dissapoint. If they give cars a decent physics and plenty of countryside I don't care what else they do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users