RDR Kill Effect

102 replies to this topic
EvilFuture
  • EvilFuture

To Harm and Withhold™

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

Notice how each time an enemy gets shot and killed, the screen sort of zooms in and blurs really fast. This was also in Red Dead Redemption, and it's called the "Kill Effect." It's cool how they are taking elements from all different HD era games and even the III era games and rolling it all up into an awesomeness joint for us all to smoke!

Here's what I'm talking about, notice how the screen zooms in and looks 3d-ish.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
  • freedomworks96 likes this

Wuggatus
  • Wuggatus

Somewhere stuck between joyful and peachy.

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:39 PM

Whaaaa? I see gameplay.

Markhosdangerous
  • Markhosdangerous

Markos Dangerous

• Members

Great!

ChatterBoxFM
  • ChatterBoxFM

★★★★★★

• Members

I can't tell what you're talking about.

Are you talking about the fish eye effect? The sides are warped.

xMohawkkinGx
  • xMohawkkinGx

Playa

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

I see it. I believe it was also in Max Payne 3.

Honest Bill
  • Honest Bill

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

I liked that in RDR to be honest. It lets you know you've done the job, but isn't intrusive.

Matthew_rocz
  • Matthew_rocz

Mz8691

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (ChatterBoxFM @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 21:39)
I can't tell what you're talking about.

Are you talking about the fish eye effect? The sides are warped.

That and the fact that the edges of elements turn blue/red.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:42 PM Edited by brian., 09 July 2013 - 09:45 PM.

He's talking about that stupid ass hitmarker.

It is unintuitive and stupid.

It looks like a half-assed blood splatter half of the times it is seen in the gameplay video, and other times, it doesn't even work.

Michael shoots two guys and they show either red or gray x. He headshots the next guy and gets nothing.

Is it in fact a kill indicator? That detail above would express that is not the case.

It is unneeded and confusing, not easily readable. You should recognize this stuff and get what it is right away, whatever that is, it is unneeded screen clutter that is getting in the way of the action in my opinion.

This is a very strange, very weird iteration of GTA so far.

5 YEARS IS TOO LONG AND TOO MUCH CHANGES IN 5 YEARS ALL AT ONCE. GAME AIN'T THE SAME ANYMORE. THEY NEEDED INTERIM GAMES TO GET HERE, IT'S TOO MUCH CHANGE FOR ONE RELEASE.

Honest Bill
  • Honest Bill

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (brian. @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 21:42)
He's talking about that stupid ass hitmarker.

It is unintuitive and stupid.

It looks like a half-assed blood splatter half of the times it is seen in the gameplay video, and other times, it doesn't even work.

Michael shoots two guys and they show either red or gray ex. He headshots the next guy and gets nothing.

Is it in fact a kill indicator? That detail above would express that is not the case.

It is unneeded and confusing, not easily readable. You should recognize this stuff and get what it is right away, whatever that is, it is unneeded screen clutter that is getting in the way of the action in my opinion.

This is a very strange, very weird iteration of GTA so far.

5 YEARS IS TOO LONG AND TOO MUCH CHANGES IN 5 YEARS ALL AT ONCE. GAME AIN'T THE SAME ANYMORE.

He's not talking about that. He means the warping effect that happens for a split second when you kill someone.

I agree that the hit-markers are annoying. They aren't necessary for single player, although i'd say they are needed in multiplayer.

GTaGB
  • GTaGB

Winner

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

It will be nice to see some blood effects.

EvilFuture
  • EvilFuture

To Harm and Withhold™

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

user posted image

I don't know why this gif turned out so crappy, but it shows what I'm talking about. Notice when he shoots the guy and kills him, the screen zooms in really fast and blurs and then zooms back out. This is what the "Kill Effect" was in RDR.

Edit: Honest Bill gets what I'm talking about.

Maxios
  • Maxios

Nerd

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (brian. @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 21:42)
5 YEARS IS TOO LONG AND TOO MUCH CHANGES IN 5 YEARS ALL AT ONCE. GAME AIN'T THE SAME ANYMORE. THEY NEEDED INTERIM GAMES TO GET HERE, IT'S TOO MUCH CHANGE FOR ONE RELEASE.

My god, I hope you're joking...

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:48 PM Edited by brian., 09 July 2013 - 09:53 PM.

Oh, okay, I see that now. Those hitmarkers though. I'm shaking my fist, angrily. I hope they can be turned off.

I most certainly am serious as a heart attack.

They changed way too much in 6 years it is taking (GTA IV was supposed to release in 2007, it's now 2013, so 6 years I guess) - square radar, three protags, cars took a step toward backward and corny with burnout like results, special abilities, regenerating health, weird screen effects, hitmarkers, weapon wheel, EVERYTHING has changed and I haven't even listed it all, you can name 10 things that I haven't.

Everything that made GTA different and elegant compared to other games, is now gone, replaced by stuff that I've seen in other games and didn't like. What happened? I don't know. Will it be different? Completely different, yes. Will it be good? Maybe.

For this much change, I needed at least 2 gta's between IV and V to get there, this is too much change all at once, even for me, who has supported everything rockstar does, and this much change from one gta, is shocking to say the least. The series has evolved over time, and has comfortably done so, and now this, this is a huge leap, like a reboot, like a whole different company is making it or something - too much change man. Will it be great? Maybe. But they definitely should have done this slower, or called it something else.

ChatterBoxFM
  • ChatterBoxFM

★★★★★★

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (brian. @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 13:48)
Oh, okay, I see that now. Those hitmarkers though. I'm shaking my fist, angrily. I hope they can be turned off.

They changed way too much in 6 years it is taking (GTA IV was supposed to release in 2007, it's now 2013, so 6 years I guess) - square radar, three protags, cars took a step toward backward and corny with burnout like results, special abilities, regenerating health, weird screen effects, hitmarkers, weapon wheel, EVERYTHING has changed and I haven't even listed it all, you can name 10 things that I haven't.

Everything that made GTA different and elegant compared to other games, is now gone, replaced by stuff that I've seen in other games and didn't like. What happened? I don't know. Will it be different? Completely different, yes. Will it be good? Maybe.

Just curious, what's wrong with a square radar?

Honest Bill
  • Honest Bill

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

I hope the hitmarkers can be turned off too. Makes it look tacky.

IveGotNoValues
  • IveGotNoValues

Half Mexican/half white...I'm a vanilla bean!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

This game has the best of all R* games combined. Its amazing! smile.gif

EvilFuture
  • EvilFuture

To Harm and Withhold™

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (brian. @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 21:48)

The radar... deal with it I guess. You will probably get used to it.

That's a matter of opinion I guess, I personally think that the three protag idea is great.

You can tune your care to handle to your liking.

You don't HAVE to use special abilities.

You can probably turn off regenerating health in the difficulty settings.

I'm sure the hitmarker thing can also be turned off in the settings.

The weapon wheel is awesome in my opinion.

ChatterBoxFM
  • ChatterBoxFM

★★★★★★

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

It'd be about damn time for GTA to give us that type of detail in the settings.

ChocoFrosty
  • ChocoFrosty

Trolley Surfing

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

It's a visual effect that progresses from the center of the screen to the edges.

Think of it like the wave/ripple in a pond after you drop a stone into it.

Honest Bill
  • Honest Bill

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

Yes. 'Ripple' is a good way to describe it.

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:57 PM Edited by brian., 09 July 2013 - 10:03 PM.

QUOTE (ChatterBoxFM @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 17:50)
QUOTE (brian. @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 13:48)

Just curious, what's wrong with a square radar?

Nothing really, but when added to the other mass of change, it is a lot to cope with.

The radar itself I can say this much:

It now skips frames (see it being choppy in switching to trevor scene) in order to compensate for the unnecessary other changes which is an annoying way to optimize reflections in a game.

A round radar is a square one with masking over the corners. No sooner am I snickering at Watch Dogs for being too lazy to mask off the corners, does GTA V pop up like "Here I am, not masked off, and I run like sh*t because I had too much crap piled on that wasn't needed when GTA has always had the best radar system ever and it shouldn't have changed this much, so we skip frames in drawing the radar otherwise the whole scene would slow down and you'd see we're barely getting 25 fps as it is on this dinosaur hardware".

I'm pissed. 6 years just to completely change everything that separated you from other games?! I would have MUCH preferred 3 GTA's in this time, without all these changes, or naturally evolving to it - all at once is a lot to swallow, and pisses me off that they spent all this time and it WASNT on Las Venturas and San Fierro, and it WASNT on improvement more than on completely gutting the game and making it unrecognizable in some aspects.

We could have played GTA V 3 years ago if they spent more time making the game on what they have built and less time tearing it apart and changing it.

Am I turned off completely? No. Will it be good? Maybe. Is it too much change for one release, that took WAY too long? YES.

JamalG
  • JamalG

King Jamal

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

looks like they took shooting technology from Max Payne 3 - NO complaints there cool.gif

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

For this much change, I needed at least 2 gta's between IV and V to get there, this is too much change all at once, even for me, who has supported everything rockstar does, and this much change from one gta, is shocking to say the least. The series has evolved over time, and has comfortably done so, and now this, this is a huge leap, like a reboot, like a whole different company is making it or something - too much change man. Will it be great? Maybe. But they definitely should have done this slower, or called it something else.

Wait...wait, change is bad now? Innovation (within the series) is bad? Like they say, you can't please everyone, but if you aren't comfortable with change, you can always replay the older games.

EvilFuture
  • EvilFuture

To Harm and Withhold™

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

This is what some guy responded when a dude asked what the kill effect was. This describes it I guess.

"Hmmm, I've never heard of the "kill effect." I assume it's when you're screen does a split-second blur to let you know you killed a dude, anyone whose played should realize what I'm talking about."

It's set to yes by default, so I'm sure most of you have noticed it before. It makes killing a little more awesome, although it is just a small detail.

gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 21:59)

Wait...wait, change is bad now? Innovation (within the series) is bad? Like they say, you can't please everyone, but if you aren't comfortable with change, you can always replay the older games.

Not every change is good, for example health regen and special abilities.

EvilFuture
  • EvilFuture

To Harm and Withhold™

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (gpcguy1 @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 22:00)

I don't see what the big deal about the special abilities is. You don't even have to use it. It might be mandatory to do it at least once when the time comes when the game tells you how to do it.

As for the health regeneration, like I said before, I'm sure you can turn it off in the difficulty settings

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

Lack of change is even worse to be honest. And as long as we haven't played the game to see these mechanics in action, it's no use complaining about them. Just because X game has this feature and it's poorly implemented, it doesn't mean GTA will do the same.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Special ability is all under your control.

Also a bad change is slowing down time when picking a gun.

rodrich266
  • rodrich266

"After five years on the East Coast, it was time to go home

• Members

Yes, I liked to see that the fish-eye or 3D effect was back, but I hope that we also get that gory effect on people when you shot them, those bullet holes that had their flesh showing, like when you made a headshot in RDR and the dude's face just burst open.

THAT WAS AMAZING!

stux56
  • stux56

Vice City Busdriver

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

Jesus christ, could you complain even more? Rockstar is keeping GTA fresh. Give them some props for taking the series in such a bold new direction.

And if you insist on complaining, do it when you've actually tried it out (you know, in game) and still don't like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users