Going to concerts by yourself

18 replies to this topic
nutboy
  • nutboy

The Badman

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

Im into a very specific type of hip hop music and thus do not have many friends into the same stuff as I. The only concert ive been to was an mfdoom/ghostface collab which was incredible but often times than not Ill see an act and laugh at the idea of inviting any of my friends along. Im this close to just going "f*ck it" and going on my own if I cant find people from now on. Any of you guys ever been to a concert alone? What was it like?

gta_king
  • gta_king

JCM

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

I went to one on my own, it was weird because you don't have anyone to enjoy or talk about it with after you leave but it was still great anyway, if you're passionate about the artist you have to weigh up your options and if it's the only chance you'll get to see them then you have to do it.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

I f*cking love(d) gong to concerts by myself. You get to just be yourself, talk with and have fun with strangers. There are no ties and obligations to your friends - no having to meet at a certain time, no relying on set times on leaving(or other activities).

I met the lady who is now my wife at a concert. If I wasn't alone I may not have had the opportunity to steal her away from her friends..

I think the trick is to go see as much live music as you can. Sometimes with friends and sometimes by yourself. Two different experiences.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

There's NOTHING wrong with going by yourself. Just do what you want. As trip said, you may even meet new friends. That friendship could even lead to more than that.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

I went to Atmosphere/Brother Ali/Blueprint/Grieves etc. on my own because I have no friends who like rap in general (it was the Real Rhymesayers European tour).

There are plenty of people there who like them though, good chance to actually get friends that DO like what you're in to.

nutboy
  • nutboy

The Badman

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (Fireman @ Wednesday, Jul 10 2013, 08:36)
I went to Atmosphere/Brother Ali/Blueprint/Grieves etc. on my own because I have no friends who like rap in general (it was the Real Rhymesayers European tour).

There are plenty of people there who like them though, good chance to actually get friends that DO like what you're in to.

Lucky bastard haha and alright guess Ive got nothing to lose really, hopefully things will flow smoothly and Ill find some sociable people

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:21 PM Edited by lzw3, 10 July 2013 - 12:26 PM.

QUOTE (trip @ Wednesday, Jul 10 2013, 09:17)
I met the lady who is now my wife at a concert.  If I wasn't alone I may not have had the opportunity to steal her away from her friends..

Out of curiosity, what was the gig?

And I wouldn't have a problem going on my own, as previously stated if you really love the artist then it shouldn't matter who you're with/where it is/how you get there etc..
All that matters is the music.

7500 posts btw

Venom
  • Venom

Zpider-Man

• Zaibatsu
  • England

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

Saw Roots Manuva live, on my own a few years ago.
Being the punctual young man I am, I wound up front and centre - aawww yeah.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE (lzw3 @ Wednesday, Jul 10 2013, 08:21)
QUOTE (trip @ Wednesday, Jul 10 2013, 09:17)
I met the lady who is now my wife at a concert.  If I wasn't alone I may not have had the opportunity to steal her away from her friends..

Out of curiosity, what was the gig?

And I wouldn't have a problem going on my own, as previously stated if you really love the artist then it shouldn't matter who you're with/where it is/how you get there etc..
All that matters is the music.

7500 posts btw

Crosby, Stills and Nash.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (nutboy @ Wednesday, Jul 10 2013, 05:32)

Lucky bastard haha and alright guess Ive got nothing to lose really, hopefully things will flow smoothly and Ill find some sociable people

Holy hell, people know about them? I had no idea people outside of my state would listen to them, let alone people from across the pond biggrin.gif didn't even know they toured all over... so very cool.

I'm from Minnesota in the US - where Atmosphere and BA are from biggrin.gif

As far as the topic, there are some good points made in the thread already. Attempting to stay close to your friends in general admission can be quite a chore, you could want to try to get close to the stage and they could just want to chill on the side or vice-versa.

Cheat
  • Cheat

the only people for me are the mad ones

• The Connection

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

I'd rather go and see an artist I like on my own than throw away the opportunity because my friends' taste in music sucks. Never done it though.

Laura91
  • Laura91

Portia's #1 Fan

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

f*ck it. I would go to any show I wanted if I was alone or not. I would be there to see the band and soak it all in. I couldn't give two f*cks about socializing at something like that.

UrbanTheEmcee
  • UrbanTheEmcee

I'm that bada** n*gga yo moms warned you about.

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:38 PM

My friends Duane works at Bankers Life Feildhouse, so I get to watch from the staff's exit. He doesn't like letting a bunch of people in so I've watched a few concerts solo.

Valenta
  • Valenta

True hope is swift.

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:27 PM Edited by Valenta, 14 July 2013 - 06:53 AM.

QUOTE (Cheat @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 14:03)
I'd rather go and see an artist I like on my own than throw away the opportunity because my friends' taste in music sucks.

Same here. Why should my evening be ruined by my friend's taste in music?

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE (Nah Tso Gud @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 08:28)

Holy hell, people know about them? I had no idea people outside of my state would listen to them, let alone people from across the pond biggrin.gif didn't even know they toured all over... so very cool.

Atmosphere have gotten pretty popular since "When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That sh*t Gold".

That was the only time they came to Amsterdam that I know of (I immediately bought tickets, without having any idea on how to get there). They did this European Tour with the entire label.

Slug even came out to talk to us fans before the show, got my picture taken with him and talked about his opinion on downloading tounge.gif :

f*cking awesome night, never regretted going alone to there.

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

Why are you reading this? Still reading? Just go already.

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:40 AM

I went to this concert alone and I met some pretty cool people.
We enjoyed ourselves and afterwards i went along with them to a bar and ended up making out with this blonde chick in her car.

I remember the next day my one friend was angry at himself for not coming with me because he said it was "gonna be boring"

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:33 AM

QUOTE (Fireman @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 18:02)
QUOTE (Nah Tso Gud @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 08:28)

Atmosphere have gotten pretty popular since "When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That sh*t Gold".

That was the only time they came to Amsterdam that I know of (I immediately bought tickets, without having any idea on how to get there). They did this European Tour with the entire label.

Slug even came out to talk to us fans before the show, got my picture taken with him and talked about his opinion on downloading tounge.gif :

f*cking awesome night, never regretted going alone to there.

Haha awesome man. Do you like the album Seven's Travels? That's when I originally got into them, hearing it at college parties when I was a highschooler still ha. This is probably my favorite track from them though:

Anyhow, not to hijack anything... this thread should settle it! Go to the concert alone! Good times to be had and good people to meet.

nutboy
  • nutboy

The Badman

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

That track is underrated as hell and yeah think im gonna go for it the concert im currently considering is the wu tang 20th anniversary concert in london, might be going amsterdam with a mate for his birthday around that time though but if not then f*ck it ima bring the ruckus solo icon14.gif

Glenn.
  • Glenn.

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

I had the same question. I'm going to attempt to go now, but im only 16, and ID's are basically required at the very few places that have Rap concerts here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users