Driving Physics: Remember YOU asked for it

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
959 replies to this topic
ed72o
  • ed72o

Thug

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (NYC PATROL @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 16:16)
Just for a good chuckle Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

The boats drive better than the cars colgate.gif
That's how you know IV's driving sucked cool.gif

finch2820
  • finch2820

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

I just hope there is more HP in certain cars than in GTA4 to allow more drifting on the corners

IceHot100
  • IceHot100

Out of Order

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (IDredMan @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 17:55)
user posted image

<sarcasm> I would rather have this than V's driving physics. It just looks so awesome. So real! </sarcasm>

suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

This post will self destruct in 3... 2... 1...

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 13:34)
QUOTE (its Kyle @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 20:54)
Well its step to better, in gta iv you lost the control way too easy and every car felt same.. But gta iv driving was still great fun

I don't agree wth that at all. Drive a Dukes then a Comet back to back and can you honestly say they drive the same? The Dukes is a typical muscle car that loses its ass and creates a whole lot of smoke while the Comet has without a doubt much stiffer suspension and can soak up bumps much better.

The Blista Compact is prone to understeer like alot of front wheel drives whereas the muscle cars are prone to oversteer being V8 rear wheel drives. Among other examples.

I'll agree the body roll can sometimes be exaggerated, but each and every vehicle has its own characteristic. Something lacking throughout the GTA III era where there was very little distinguishing attributes.

Quoted for truth.

Also, some of you seem to think this gif proves driving in IV was unrealistic;

user posted image

But that's actually pretty realistic compared to the Cadillac Allante it's based on:

http://youtu.be/RIJJZIGTsDM?t=3m18s

In fact, I bet the real thing couldn't even turn as tightly as that Primo. Proof that grip was not lacking in IV, the body lean was just somewhat exaggerated. The physics themselves are great.

ItsClipZz
  • ItsClipZz

Trick

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (Booya818 @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 14:28)
t looked slightly arcadey to me. Best thing about IV for me is the realistic driving.

EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT

ed72o
  • ed72o

Thug

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (ItsClipZz @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 23:15)
t looked slightly arcadey to me. Best thing about IV for me is the realistic driving.

EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT

It must be great being 12 smile.gif

suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (ed72o @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 23:16)
QUOTE (ItsClipZz @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 23:15)

EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT

It must be great being 12 smile.gif

And the Maturity Award goes to...

This post!

albinobuffalo96
  • albinobuffalo96

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE (suicidehummer @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 22:46)
Well its step to better, in gta iv you lost the control way too easy and every car felt same.. But gta iv driving was still great fun

I don't agree wth that at all. Drive a Dukes then a Comet back to back and can you honestly say they drive the same? The Dukes is a typical muscle car that loses its ass and creates a whole lot of smoke while the Comet has without a doubt much stiffer suspension and can soak up bumps much better.

The Blista Compact is prone to understeer like alot of front wheel drives whereas the muscle cars are prone to oversteer being V8 rear wheel drives. Among other examples.

I'll agree the body roll can sometimes be exaggerated, but each and every vehicle has its own characteristic. Something lacking throughout the GTA III era where there was very little distinguishing attributes.

Quoted for truth.

user posted image

But that's actually pretty realistic compared to the Cadillac Allante it's based on:

In fact, I bet the real thing couldn't even turn as tightly as that Primo. Proof that grip was not lacking in IV, the body lean was just somewhat exaggerated. The physics themselves are great.

If that was realistic, the Primo would be going to the edge of the lanes, not somehow floating along the line. Even the real Cadillac couldn't do that in the video.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

And your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth...

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

Why are you people still debating the handling in IV?

It's not meant to be realistic, it's a f*cking video game. If I want to play a realistic driving game, I'll go play f*cking Euro Truck Simulator 2.

This topic is meant to discuss the handling in V.

R* already f*cking said to someone who sent them an email to their mouthoff that the handling won't be arcade like and to take into account that sports cars (like we saw in the gameplay video) will handle differently than your average everyday car. To also take into account that you can tune the vehicles extensively which will also impact handling.

They won't go back to how the cars handled in III era GTA's. That's just not in the path that the series is going and why the hell would they go back in time after improving the handling in IV? Some people may not have liked it but it's a fact that it was a huge improvement from the arcade like handling in SA and previous GTA's. That arcade style was meant for III era GTA's, not the HD era that we are in now.

They will likely keep the handling from IV and improve it so that it isn't as "boat-like" as it was in IV. On top of that we will also be able to tune it ourselves to impact the handling in the way that we want.

GTAVTheHeat
  • GTAVTheHeat

I can't picture life without a point of view..

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (suicidehummer @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 22:46)

Quoted for truth.

user posted image

Seems to be going a little slow for that unless it was raining, heavily.

lance22
  • lance22

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (Audiophile @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 23:28)

It's not meant to be realistic, it's a f*cking video game. If I want to play a realistic driving game, I'll go play f*cking Euro Truck Simulator 2.

R* already f*cking said to someone who sent them an email to their mouthoff that the handling won't be arcade like and to take into account that sports cars (like we saw in the gameplay video) will handle differently than your average everyday car. To also take into account that you can tune the vehicles extensively which will also impact handling.

They won't go back to how the cars handled in III era GTA's. That's just not in the path that the series is going and why the hell would they go back in time after improving the handling in IV? Some people may not have liked it but it's a fact that it was a huge improvement from the arcade like handling in SA and previous GTA's. That arcade style was meant for III era GTA's, not the HD era that we are in now.

They will likely keep the handling from IV and improve it so that it isn't as "boat-like" as it was in IV. On top of that we will also be able to tune it ourselves to impact the handling in the way that we want.

Tuning a car does nothing for driving physics dumbass

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE (lance22 @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 23:33)

Tuning a car does nothing for driving physics dumbass

Oh I'm sorry.....did I say that I was talking about driving physics? Hmmm, I don't think that I did.

You're the dumbass that is sitting in a thread and debating the driving physics in a game that you have not played. My post was straight out of what R* said how tuning the car (meaning everything you can change on it, engine, suspension etc) has an impact on how it handles.

Pretty sure R* knows more about that than you do. Let's have some more name-calling, child.

greenrock
  • greenrock

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:36 PM

Rockstar said that the driving for V won't be "arcady"

just Freaking watch the scene with Trevor driving the truck

ed72o
  • ed72o

Thug

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:37 PM

They won't go back to how the cars handled in III era GTA's. That's just not in the path that the series is going and why the hell would they go back in time after improving the handling in IV? Some people may not have liked it but it's a fact that it was a huge improvement from the arcade like handling in SA and previous GTA's.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that 'improvement' is hated by the majority of players (everyone older than 12 cool.gif )

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (ed72o @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 23:37)
They won't go back to how the cars handled in III era GTA's. That's just not in the path that the series is going and why the hell would they go back in time after improving the handling in IV? Some people may not have liked it but it's a fact that it was a huge improvement from the arcade like handling in SA and previous GTA's.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that 'improvement' is hated by the majority of players (everyone older than 12 cool.gif )

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is this thing called an "opinion".

A few individuals who are extremely vocal when they cry about how they hated it, does not constitute a majority and does not make that opinion universal.

Also, I never said I loved the handling in IV. I just said that it was an improvement from how it was in previous GTA's and it will be likely be improved upon in V to make it what it should have been in IV and less "boat-like". Understand? It was an improvement whether or not you hated it or loved it.

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:43 PM

While I did hate the driving in IV, I don't think anyone who liked it was 12.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE (IDredMan @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 23:43)

Anyone that has to resort to using age as an insult on a forum or groups people that disagree with them as 12 is probably 12 years old themselves or has the maturity of a 12 year old. Or they are just throwing out troll bait.

Again it seems that some people just like to argue or don't have reading comprehension skills. Whichever way you look at it - love or hate - the handling in IV was an improvement that R* made and an advancement in how cars handled in the GTA series. That is what I am trying to say....they won't just ditch that and go back to the arcade style of previous GTA's. They will take what they did in IV and they will improve on it based on what people disliked and based on how they think it should be. It already seems like the handling is not boat-like as in IV.

73duster
  • 73duster

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

user posted image

LOL. Completely busted suspension, NO sway bars and tires made of plastic for that skating on ice in the middle of summer feel. SO REALISTIC! suicidal.gif

ed72o
  • ed72o

Thug

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (73duster @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 23:49)
user posted image

LOL. Completely busted suspension, NO sway bars and tires made of plastic for that skating on ice in the middle of summer feel. SO REALISTIC! suicidal.gif

It is realistic wow.gif
Just ask all the 12 year olds whatsthat.gif

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE (Audiophile @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 23:46)
QUOTE (IDredMan @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 23:43)

Anyone that has to resort to using age as an insult on a forum or groups people that disagree with them as 12 is probably 12 years old themselves or has the maturity of a 12 year old. Or they are just throwing out troll bait.

Again it seems that some people just like to argue or don't have reading comprehension skills. Whichever way you look at it - love or hate - the handling in IV was an improvement that R* made and an advancement in how cars handled in the GTA series. That is what I am trying to say....they won't just ditch that and go back to the arcade style of previous GTA's. They will take what they did in IV and they will improve on it based on what people disliked and based on how they think it should be. It already seems like the handling is not boat-like as in IV.

Anyone that has to resort to using age as an insult on a forum or groups people that disagree with them as 12 is probably 12 years old themselves

Did you just call yourself 12?
Wait ...Did I just call myself 12 too?

Ahem, anyway.
While IV's driving may have improved on some aspects, it skimped way too much on others.
Every car in GTAIV drove the same, sports car, bus or sh*tmobile, they were all swervy swervy all day long.
You would also spin out if you took turns at speeds that shouldn't even do anything to a car if it were to happen in real life.
It's also very easy to flip, I mean like ...Super easy.
And at some times, it felt like there were 2 different controls for your front and your back. A certain series of events would happen and you'd be just controlling half of your car and just thinking "Where the f*ck is my back even going?"

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:02 AM

Pretty sure that sentence was easy to understand for anyone with a basic understanding of English.

Also yeah, for example the bike handling in IV was awful. I am doing another playthrough of IV right now and I was doing the mission for Gerry where you have to chase down someone on a bike in the Albanian outfit and it was awful. One wrong move and you're screwed.

This is what I am trying to say....the driving in IV was not perfect, far from it. It was also not realistic so I have no idea where people get that it is. But be that as it may, it was an improvement and it will be adjusted in V no doubt to make it the way that it should have been and to make it in a way where people won't hate it.

V could not be what it is without IV, IMO.

73duster
  • 73duster

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:03 AM Edited by 73duster, 16 July 2013 - 12:27 AM.

QUOTE (ed72o @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 23:53)
QUOTE (73duster @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 23:49)
user posted image

It is realistic wow.gif
Just ask all the 12 year olds whatsthat.gif

That car isn't even traveling more than 15 miles an hour, so it should be impossible to make the car behave that way at such a slow speed. I loved GTAIV, but the handling was awful. All Rockstar did was tighten the incredibly sloppy suspension, over the top sway and lack of tire grip. For all of you who are crying "I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS!":

1- Plenty of others DID ask for this. Rockstar clearly stated that the handling in GTAIV was an issue, so they addressed it.

2- Since when does Rockstar have to consult with YOU about any of their decisions?

3- Why not wait until you PLAY the game before calling it "arcadey"?

I can agree that it CAN be fun, but not for an entire game. At some point it just became ridiculous. On a side note, I have also seen some of you guys say that tuning does not affect car handling.
THAT IS WRONG. Tuning isn't only about engine performance, but car handling, braking and suspension can ALL be tuned. This is why high performance and exotic sports cars drive like they are on rails, while older and larger vehicles handle a lot worse. A corvette isn't going to bounce around like the car above.

Trund
  • Trund

I'm all of ach fo her

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE (Audiophile @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 01:02)
This is what I am trying to say....the driving in IV was not perfect, far from it. It was also not realistic so I have no idea where people get that it is. But be that as it may, it was an improvement and it will be adjusted in V no doubt to make it the way that it should have been and to make it in a way where people won't hate it.

It's true that it wasn't realistic, but that doesn't mean it's not fun. I found it quite challenging and that brought the fun into it, especially online GTA Races were hilarious, mostly because of the wonky controls. I (and many others) just don't like super easy arcade steering, and I think that's the main concern that many have, that GTA V is going back to arcade style handling to make it "easier".

However, I do believe that R* will manage to get a good balance into GTA V to make it a little more realistic and still make it challenging, but whatever they do, there will always be people that complain.

GTAV789
  • GTAV789

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:06 AM

IV's driving physics was definitely the best in any GTA game to date. But of course, as the guy above has said, it has flaws. They just need to improve on it a bit more such as the suspension and grip and roll bars. That is all tbh. This actually didn't make it sh*t, if you mastered it, it was AWESOME.

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (Audiophile @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 00:02)
Pretty sure that sentence was easy to understand for anyone with a basic understanding of English.

Also yeah, for example the bike handling in IV was awful. I am doing another playthrough of IV right now and I was doing the mission for Gerry where you have to chase down someone on a bike in the Albanian outfit and it was awful. One wrong move and you're screwed.

Awh come on dude I was joking with that, trying to lighten up the mood.

Anyway, yeah.
In IV it felt like the cars were just tanks with velocity, mainly cause the tires weren't providing any resistance to make the car a little more ...On the ground.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

Just wanted to leave this here:

Vehicle physics will vary from car to car and performance characteristics are modifiable by purchasing parts and customizing your cars in LS Custom shops. A highly tuned, high end sports car, for instance is going to have better traction cornering at high speeds than, say a mid-range car or an SUV.

suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE (Audiophile @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 00:02)

Don't bother with these trolls man. Anyone who repeatedly calls you a 12 year old or claims every car handled the same in IV is an obvious troll.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:47 AM

GTA IV driving doesn't look realistic because of how the suspension behaves visually, but as a licensed driver, I'll drop in and tell you that once you get over the aesthetics and visual aspects of the driving, it is rigged exceptionally and physically speaking feels more like a real car, to a real driver, than even racing games like grid and dirt 2, both of which I own to make the comparison.

The aesthetics and behavior of the suspension and such "looks" more convincing, but the "feel" of those cars, as real as it can "look" at times, the feel pales in comparison Rockstar's work in GTA IV. GTA IV made a mockery of their own racing game. It looks a little MCLA style, so that worries people who know that "even their own racing game centered on racing pales in comparison to IV", that's all.

matsix
  • matsix

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:16 AM

QUOTE (brian. @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 01:47)
GTA IV driving doesn't look realistic because of how the suspension behaves visually, but as a licensed driver, I'll drop in and tell you that once you get over the aesthetics and visual aspects of the driving, it is rigged exceptionally and physically speaking feels more like a real car, to a real driver, than even racing games like grid and dirt 2, both of which I own to make the comparison.

The aesthetics and behavior of the suspension and such "looks" more convincing, but the "feel" of those cars, as real as it can "look" at times, the feel pales in comparison Rockstar's work in GTA IV. GTA IV made a mockery of their own racing game. It looks a little MCLA style, so that worries people who know that "even their own racing game centered on racing pales in comparison to IV", that's all.

Grid and Dirt 2 are arcade racing games.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE (ed72o @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 10:37)

I like the driving in GTA IV so am I 12?

Honestly I've been contemplating whether to lock this thread or not, but basically it's just turned into a mass of arguments with people who can't respect others' opinions it seems so I see no reason to keep it left open.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users