» «
Photo

Realistic ballistics in GTA V?

12 replies to this topic
Vin89
  • Vin89

Peon

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:16 PM Edited by Vin89, 09 July 2013 - 05:19 PM.

Hey, I noticed something in the new Gameplay Video and I couldn't find a topic that discussed this idea.

Just look at 2:54; the scene where probably Trevor aims at the deer.

user posted image

In the right corner of the screen you see the wind direction and speed displayed. There are only two probable explanations for this:

1.: We actually get realistic ballistics. This means: wind can actually depart a bullet from it's course

2.: Animals can smell the hunter; thus knowing the wind direction can help you stay unnoticed

The second one seems a little bit too realistic to me. GTA V is not a hunting game.

Also the rifle scope looks really good. In real life you can't just aim at something and expect to hit your target. That works for short distance. But gravity affects your bullet. It goes down. So in order to hit your target you have to aim higher. The rifle scope is set for a certain distance...let's say 200m to make things easy. If you aim at something that is 200m away you will hit where you aim (other factors like wind, temperature excluded).
You can also alter the zeroing of your gun. You can zero it at 500m and then if you aim at something that is 500m away you will hit where you aimed.

A counterargument is the scene in 1:45-1:48 of course. Franklin acutally hits everything pretty much right where he aimed at. Unless the rifle is zeroed at exactly this distance this pretty much at least partly disproved what I just said.

A possible explanation would be that this realism will occur while hunting. But this is not how GTA usually works.

What are your thoughts on that?

Vin89
  • Vin89

Peon

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

*edit*

kasparlaks
  • kasparlaks

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

This might be a stupid question, but does wind (I don't mean tornado or hurricane) really affect a bullet THAT much?
I mean, the bullet's so fast. And big in sniper gun's example.

I can get it when it's shot from too far it is affected by wind but at 100 metres?
  • theGTAking101 likes this

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (kasparlaks @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 17:51)
This might be a stupid question, but does wind (I don't mean tornado or hurricane) really affect a bullet THAT much?

I can get it when it's shot from too far it is affected by wind but at 100 metres?

I've wondered that aswell, But it must, I doubt by much though.

TakinThyBacon
  • TakinThyBacon

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Well the whole concept of sniping at long distances by ones self is kind of unrealistic anyway, most long range military snipers use spotter to monitor the change in wing and distance, they tell the sniper what adjustments to make. Its a game, it does not have to be exactly like IRL, but adding a challenge to it is what it is all about I would think. Sniping has always been way too easy in GTA.

As you can see it does make a huge difference

Vin89
  • Vin89

Peon

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

I think it matters alot. I'm not into guns but I think the further your bullet needs to travel the more it can be influenced by wind. In the end a few inches can make the difference between killing your guy or scaring him off.

Cyfa
  • Cyfa

Paid In Full

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Vin89 @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 12:02)
I think it matters alot. I'm not into guns but I think the further your bullet needs to travel the more it can be influenced by wind. In the end a few inches can make the difference between killing your guy or scaring him off.

Yup. That and gravity will always knock the bullet off course.

V8JACKRABBIT
  • V8JACKRABBIT

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:15 PM Edited by V8JACKRABBIT, 24 January 2014 - 11:16 PM.

QUOTE (kasparlaks @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 17:51) This might be a stupid question, but does wind (I don't mean tornado or hurricane) really affect a bullet THAT much?

I've wondered that aswell, But it must, I doubt by much though

In that case, you'd be surprised to hear that yes you do have to account for wind speed, wind direction, bullet drop for almost every shot you take if your at a 20 yard distance from the target "obviously" you do not need to worry too much about the wind or bullet drop but 50 yards and further always account for the variables. and if you are supised to hear that, then you will also be surprised to here that in long ranged circumstances mostly for snipers, you also need to account for rotation of the earth.

Hope I helped your understanding as best as I could.

Silent Dogwood
  • Silent Dogwood

Genuine Wole

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:56 AM

What happened to this feature?

ezfaun
  • ezfaun

Drive

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

In that case, you'd be surprised to hear that yes you do have to account for wind speed, wind direction, bullet drop for almost every shot you take if your at a 20 yard distance from the target "obviously" you do not need to worry too much about the wind or bullet drop but 50 yards and further always account for the variables. and if you are supised to hear that, then you will also be surprised to here that in long ranged circumstances mostly for snipers, you also need to account for rotation of the earth.

Damn. Rotation of the earth? They should just make a sniper with a high rate of fire and be done with it.

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

Damn. Rotation of the earth? They should just make a sniper with a high rate of fire and be done with it.

I think he means curve not rotation. Ether way aim high and towards the wind. You're bound to hit something

Ezza.
  • Ezza.

It's a Massacromance

• Members
  • Australia
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

It's only in the hunting minigame

Geeteeaifive
  • Geeteeaifive

Andrew

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

Coming from the shoot the moon to enlarge it, i'd say they done apretty good job apart from garbage driving mechanics... total downgrade imo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users