» «
Photo

83 days?...

386 replies to this topic
Vanitas
  • Vanitas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:18 AM Edited by Vanitas, 19 July 2013 - 01:33 AM.

The problem with the theory that it is a counter as of how many days multiplayer goes online is kind of nonsense. Why would Rockstar even need a counter? Wouldn't GTA Online servers go up, as soon as the game is released? It really doesn't make sense. One of my theories is that the counter counts the number of in-game days that have passed for your online character. Now this could make sense, because it has been theorized that GTA Online will bring MMO elements into the game, and we do not know what all this brings. And if so, the in-game days and time may be stored server-side, not client-side, so the server keeps track of days, even when your system is turned off, which means your online character exists at all times (not literally, he won't be standing there all day in the game even when your system is off).

Some other theories that are plausible is the introduction of a 4th protagonist, or how many in game days until a certain event happens. Keep in mind that some missions may trigger time to go by faster, for example if one of the protagonists or all of them are captured or knocked out or such, that may advance that counter by about 3 days. We can't really tell at this point, though, what the counter is for.

EDIT: And another thing, who says that's the multiplayer character's spot? Can someone show me a video or official article that details that as being the multiplayer character's spot? Also something else to take notice is that why would the counter be ON that silhouette if it didn't have anything to do with a character of some sort? They could have just thrown it in anywhere else or just not had it at all. Just brainstorming here, though.

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE (Vanitas @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 02:18)
The problem with the theory that it is a counter as of how many days multiplayer goes online is kind of nonsense. Why would Rockstar even need a counter? Wouldn't GTA Online servers go up, as soon as the game is released? It really doesn't make sense. One of my theories is that the counter counts the number of in-game days that have passed for your online character.

Bingo! monocle.gif

DrProfessor
  • DrProfessor

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

Uhhh...it's a timer obviously, 83 GTA days = 1 hour and 23 minutes. (Trust me, R* was not kidding when they said fast-paced) Its when your powers cool down.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

Soothe us with sweet lies...

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

It is basically a countdown to when the game releases (and thus multi "unlocks").

To the people who are saying that it cannot be because why would R* leave it as 83 days when they knew the day they would be releasing the gameplay video was 69 days?

It is because it takes time to capture the footage, edit it and then make the final touches to it before release. They can't just capture the footage on the 69th day and then release it right then and there. I reckon it was filmed a month before it actually came out and that is why we see "83 days".

It's really as simple as that.

Vanitas
  • Vanitas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE (DrProfessor @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 06:47)
Uhhh...it's a timer obviously, 83 GTA days = 1 hour and 23 minutes. (Trust me, R* was not kidding when they said fast-paced) Its when your powers cool down.

This makes a LOT of sense. When the specials cool down. But that still has the odd fact of being over the silhouette.

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (Vanitas @ Thursday, Jul 18 2013, 18:18)
The problem with the theory that it is a counter as of how many days multiplayer goes online is kind of nonsense. Why would Rockstar even need a counter? Wouldn't GTA Online servers go up, as soon as the game is released? It really doesn't make sense.

Some people get the game early. The Countdown serves as a reminder to the people who got the game from retailers who broke street date, that they can't play online until September 17th.

ChatterBoxFM
  • ChatterBoxFM

★★★★★★

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (rodneythesavior @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 00:06)
The problem with the theory that it is a counter as of how many days multiplayer goes online is kind of nonsense. Why would Rockstar even need a counter? Wouldn't GTA Online servers go up, as soon as the game is released? It really doesn't make sense.

Some people get the game early. The Countdown serves as a reminder to the people who got the game from retailers who broke street date, that they can't play online until September 17th.

That's hilarious.

voyager
  • voyager

5 Bonus Goblins!

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE (Audiophile @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 06:54)
It is basically a countdown to when the game releases (and thus multi "unlocks").

To the people who are saying that it cannot be because why would R* leave it as 83 days when they knew the day they would be releasing the gameplay video was 69 days?

69 vs 83 is not why i think that's totally wrong..

it's because coding a counter into the game, especially prominently displayed in the prime real-estate of the HUD, that will be zero before most gamers will ever put the disc in their console and never appear again is a giant waste of disk space, HUD space, some programmers time and R*'s money.

that's like building 2014 model cars and putting a light on the dashboard that counts down the days until they reach the showroom floor. you think any car company in their right mind would waste money on building that into their cars? by the time the cars are sold, that is wasted space and completely useless bits of technology built into the car that practically zero drivers will ever see and the ones that do will only see it for about 15 minutes if they are lucky enough to test drive the thing as soon as it rolls off the truck.

it's a lot more likely that there is something in the game it's counting, something relevant to the game, like how many days until something 'in the game' happens or how long it's been since something 'in the game' happened.

voyager
  • voyager

5 Bonus Goblins!

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE (ChatterBoxFM @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 08:18)

That's hilarious.

seriously, it is hilarious.

how about a screen that says "could not connect to server"

anything wrong with that? heck, it could even serve the extra purpose of popping up if you had no internet connection when you tried to join MP. 2 birds with 1 stone!!!

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:39 AM Edited by rodneythesavior, 19 July 2013 - 10:01 AM.

QUOTE (voyager @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 01:22)
QUOTE (ChatterBoxFM @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 08:18)

That's hilarious.

seriously, it is hilarious.

how about a screen that says "could not connect to server"

anything wrong with that? heck, it could even serve the extra purpose of popping up if you had no internet connection when you tried to join MP. 2 birds with 1 stone!!!

@Chatterbox - Why's it hilarious? Because it makes sense? Go out, and ask anyone at all. "What do you think this means" and show them that screen, then tell them that you use that wheel to switch between the three shown characters, and that the bottom is the multiplayer character.

9 times out of 10, you're going to get. 83 Days until that character is available (ie. when the servers launch). The other one, will likely be one of those guys who thinks Dreamcast2 is still a thing.

@voyager - Ever heard of streamlining? We're adults, we don't need our hands held. After launch, when the character is greyed out, we'll know that online is down. If your internet is out, i'm sure you'll have already been notified by your Xbox/PS3/TV/Smartphone/Tablet/Computer/anythingelsethatevenremotelyusesinternetconnectionie.everything

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE (voyager @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 08:20)
QUOTE (Audiophile @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 06:54)

69 vs 83 is not why i think that's totally wrong..

it's because coding a counter into the game, especially prominently displayed in the prime real-estate of the HUD, that will be zero before most gamers will ever put the disc in their console and never appear again is a giant waste of disk space, HUD space, some programmers time and R*'s money.

that's like building 2014 model cars and putting a light on the dashboard that counts down the days until they reach the showroom floor. you think any car company in their right mind would waste money on building that into their cars? by the time the cars are sold, that is wasted space and completely useless bits of technology built into the car that practically zero drivers will ever see and the ones that do will only see it for about 15 minutes if they are lucky enough to test drive the thing as soon as it rolls off the truck.

it's a lot more likely that there is something in the game it's counting, something relevant to the game, like how many days until something 'in the game' happens or how long it's been since something 'in the game' happened.

Sometimes the most obvious answer is the actual answer.

You're acting like its taking up 1GB space to program a damn counter into the character wheel. If R* wants to do so, they will.

What else is it counting down to? I have not seen a single theory on here that makes any logical sense aside from its days from release and thus when multi opens or when character creation for multi launches. Why would it be counting down until something in the game happens if it's specifically on the multiplayer character slot of the character selection wheel? It is likely counting down till you can create the character for multi or the servers go live on release.

voyager
  • voyager

5 Bonus Goblins!

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (Audiophile @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 08:50)
You're acting like its taking up 1GB space to program a damn counter into the character wheel. If R* wants to do so, they will.

What else is it counting down to? I have not seen a single theory on here that makes any logical sense aside from its days from release and thus when multi opens or when character creation for multi launches. Why would it be counting down until something in the game happens if it's specifically on the multiplayer character slot of the character selection wheel? It is likely counting down till you can create the character for multi or the servers go live on release.

i know it's not much space, but HUD space is still HUD space and from a standpoint of design, you want it to be minimalistic.

i haven't really seen a theory that i believe. the number of days since your game started is probably the most logical, but i don't really like that answer either, i just like it better.

it makes more sense to me than countdown to multiplayer server live because 83 only shows up when stats are displayed, so i think it's likely to also be a stat, multiplayer is probably not able to join in the middle of missions, and in the footage 83 shows up during what are probably missions, by the time the game is released it should be counting in hours, not days, so the units are not correct, if it is a dev-only element it should not be on screen for the public release and it would probably not be displayed there.

as to why it would be displayed on the multiplayer slot, that is the natural slot to display any stat during an in-game mission, because it logically would be unselectable during a mission.

it may very well be a multiplayer counter. if it is, i still think its a waste of HUD space biggrin.gif

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

I agree, also if anyone gets the game early it keeps the servers closed so no one can get a cheating head start. Or something like that.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (Chukkles @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 09:40)

I agree, also if anyone gets the game early it keeps the servers closed so no one can get a cheating head start. Or something like that.

Exactly.

And people will get the game early. Be it because their delivery came early or they got a leaked copy. IV was leaked a week or two in advance and considering with V they are doing what it seems like a whole online world with your own character, if people were able to access it a week or two in advance it would give them a headstart.

Sticky Pads
  • Sticky Pads

Prankster

• Members

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE (Vanitas @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 01:18)
EDIT: And another thing, who says that's the multiplayer character's spot? Can someone show me a video or official article that details that as being the multiplayer character's spot?

Try reading the thread sometime.
http://www.computera...stems-and-more/

FIVEChamp
  • FIVEChamp

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:29 AM

M83

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:50 AM

Rodney and Audiophile are correct.

Matthew_rocz
  • Matthew_rocz

Mz8691

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:10 AM

66 hours

footsoldier
  • footsoldier

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:20 AM

maybe how many days you have had your multiplayer character.

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:42 AM

Why does everyone assume it's counting down?

Vanitas
  • Vanitas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:46 AM Edited by Vanitas, 20 July 2013 - 05:48 AM.

But why have a countdown/timer? Why not they just announce "Multiplayer Servers will not be activated until the game's legal release"

It seems stupid they put in some dumb countdown to multiplayer servers that only people who got the game early would see, and not even for that long.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:49 AM Edited by Audiophile, 20 July 2013 - 05:54 AM.

QUOTE (Vanitas @ Saturday, Jul 20 2013, 05:46)
QUOTE (Audiophile @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 18:43)

Exactly.

And people will get the game early. Be it because their delivery came early or they got a leaked copy. IV was leaked a week or two in advance and considering with V they are doing what it seems like a whole online world with your own character, if people were able to access it a week or two in advance it would give them a headstart.

But why have a countdown/timer? Why not they just announce "Multiplayer Servers will not be activated until the game's legal release"

It seems stupid they put in some dumb countdown to multiplayer servers that only people who got the game early would see, and not even for that long.

How would I know why they put it in? If they want to put something like that in, they are free to do so.

It just seems like the most logical explanation to me that is counting down something to do with multiplayer i.e. when the servers launch or when you are able to create your multiplayer character. The countdown is specifically on the multuplayer character slot, maybe they put the countdown there in order to keep us from seeing the character they had there for testing or whatever else.

We can only speculate, as I am doing. But it's the only thing that makes real sense. Likewise you can ask what the hell the point is of putting a counter of how long you have been playing multiplayer and not even having your character's face there for viewing. You will likely be able to view how long in the menu under "stats".

As for why have it when only the people who get it early will see it? Because maybe that's the purpose of it, I am guessing. Those that get it early will see that they can't create their online character/get into online until the 17th of September. The rest of us who are going to get it on the 17th don't need to be bothered by that.

C4RR4NZ4
  • C4RR4NZ4

Peerless

• Members

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

whatsthat.gif 8===3---_

Big_Mitch_Baker
  • Big_Mitch_Baker

== Angels of Death - Founder

• Angels of Death MC

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

As was stated before, the "83" only appears when looking at stats. As far as we've seen its been shown during a mission. Seeing that you can't jump into MP during a mission the bottom slot is open space for a countdown (doesn't mean the countdown is MP related, just because it's over the bottom character slot during a mission when the option disabled anyway). I don't think anybody has hit on what it really is, but putting it in as a sort of debug thing for devs and testers doesn't hold water. They already know how many days until servers go on, and its standard that the server itself sends you the "cannot connect" message instead of an in-game timer

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (Vanitas @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 22:46)

So you're saying that they would release the game without even testing the servers? The servers HAVE to be online to stress-test, they have to be active in order to diagnose problems. You can't treat a broken bone if the body hasn't been traumatized yet.

Servers have to be online.
People will get the game early.
The __ days is there only to tell early players that they are locked out for __days.

_FRANKENSTEIN_
  • _FRANKENSTEIN_

f*ck Google Ask Me!!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

I don't really care WTF 83 days mean biggrin.gif

ChatterBoxFM
  • ChatterBoxFM

★★★★★★

• Members

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

This thread is getting dumber.

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:25 AM

QUOTE (ChatterBoxFM @ Saturday, Jul 20 2013, 10:24)
This thread is getting dumber.

THAT'S a winning argument if I've ever seen one. sarcasm.gif

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:46 AM Edited by brian., 21 July 2013 - 06:53 AM.

It's literally a few lines of code, took minutes to throw it in there, already exists, the countdown is ALREADY THERE, and the hud designer just threw in a callback that counts down and expires on release day... nothing special - lots of people will have the game before it comes out. Not just early pre-order people, but also much earlier there will be many large investors, friends, company colleagues - it's simply not for us, it's for the people who play it before us - that's what it is. You are not in the club. LOL.

It is only intended to be seen 3 to 7 days prior to launch by players like us, and by reviewers who will have the game in their hands 14 to 28 days prior to their release reviews, let alone any others. Do you think Rockstar, the producers, lazlow, lots of affiliated people working on high levels of producer roles in the game are waiting to play til Sept 17? Strauss Zelnick and his family and friends are waiting until September 17? lol no.

I will laugh when gameplay screens start coming out "x days + 14 days (2 weeks) work toward prepping and getting those and new videos to you. Screens with days+7 and vids with days+14. lol. Because those are believable ranges for the assignments of making videos or working out a set of screens that is favorable to the promotion.

14 days old footage in that video. because it was recorded and 2 weeks were spent getting it ready. Someone recorded vocals while someone else was editing video while someone else was watching over it, and probably got it handed in earlier, re-edited a few times, went through some other hands, and was still done early for the day it actually released.

Seriously, it's a freaking countdown.

Again, it is not really intended to be seen with such a high time, but it's a normal feature in the "operating systems" and that's just the way it works, it gets told to "lock this until such day", many companies have done it before. It's a bit more complicated than that, but 90% of it is already there for them to expose.

Don't pull your hair out over this guys, there's just a bunch of people who this is their first ever game they've seen take forward care of their multiplayer efforts. It's really only a handful of big games that have done it like this, where people have seen it and all, but usually people don't see it, and you wouldn't save for those little parts of the vid, we can't really be surprised that spme people don't recognize immediately what that is, but they are probably not very knowledgeable in terms of gaming in general anyway.

It is very surprising at how many people still do not understand very clearly when they look at that image that the choices you can make are color, choices you cannot are grayed, and a choice that will NOT work until the system clock is valid at september 17th to their own live clock will it work - that's all it is.

15 pages. For a multiplayer unlock counter. It's hilarious almost, if it wasn't sort of sad as well.

BlademanX
  • BlademanX

Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:55 AM

QUOTE (Audiophile @ Friday, Jul 19 2013, 18:43)

Exactly.

One of the main reasons I was never big on multiplayer, some people would sit there all day and prestige 3 times over within a week, I rather go online and just mess around, than join a crew or waste time playing serious matches where the opposition has exclusive weapons within the first day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users