Photo

Videotaping Police

12 replies to this topic
Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:58 PM Edited by fatal1ty619, 08 July 2013 - 09:07 PM.

I am one who is 100% for civil disobedience. While it may not always be the best thing to refuse to do something the authorities tell you, you should always enforce your rights. There are situations every day (at least in the US) where police will tell someone to do something, and the person will completely comply, without realizing (or sometimes, without caring) that the officer in question is violating their rights. Many situations of false arrest, abuse of power, and police brutality have gone in favor of the citizens, because either they, or someone nearby, had the ability to catch the officers failing to do their job of upholding justice.

My question to you (geared more toward those in the US):

Do any of you keep a camera rolling on a regular basis? Do you keep up with your rights, and make sure that nobody abuses theirs, or violates yours? Have you actually caught someone breaking the law with video, and helped uphold the law?

If any of you guys have video you want to share, and aren't afraid to post it, please do so!

A loaded rifle
  • A loaded rifle

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

I find myself bothering cops who abuse their powers and don't respect our rights as citizens, yes. Recording? Not as of this point, although I have often thought of setting up a website, podcast, and independent radio station promoting the free world and the bill of rights, fighting against the new world order. Although, I am yet to act on such.

CallTheCoroner
  • CallTheCoroner

Have you ever been dying of thirst, and smelled rain?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

I say, they are public servants, so the public should have the right to film them in action. How else are we supposed to know if they're doing their jobs?

A loaded rifle
  • A loaded rifle

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (CallTheCoroner @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 21:17)
I say, they are public servants, so the public should have the right to film them in action. How else are we supposed to know if they're doing their jobs?

It's also completely legal to film a public servant, you are only required to notify them if they are being audio recorded. (bs in my opinion)

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:08 PM

If I had a camera and my rights were indeed being violated by one of these gang forces, then yes I would like to record it. I probably wouldn't though for a fear of being arrested, shocked, or beaten. I guess that's what you get in a " free " country right?

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Bernd das Bumpy Brot

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (018361 @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 17:08)
I guess that's what you get in a " free " country right?

Calm your tits, dude. We're got much more rights than places like North Korea and stuff like that.

Crewnordin
  • Crewnordin

Snitch

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

The one thing that annoys me is that you cant film them but they can film you. In my country they are making money from police dashcams shows but if you do it the other way around you"re f*cked

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE (Crewnordin @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 22:29)
The one thing that annoys me is that you cant film them but they can film you. In my country they are making money from police dashcams shows but if you do it the other way around you"re f*cked

Well, that is the good thing about the United States. Videotaping anyone in a public place is protected by the First Amendment. However, it often makes police uncomfortable, and they may try to force you to stop recording them, and/or give you a BS charge for disobeying them if you don't. Some places, if you don't announce to the officer that you are audio recording them (even in a public place), you can be given a wiretapping charge, which again, is BS.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:01 AM

I think it's silly, childish, and ridiculous. These "freedom fighters" should go find something to do with their lives other than bothering police officers who are trying to do their job. If it's something truly out of line, like incredibly excessive force, then videotape it. But these people who literally try to aggravate cops by sticking cameras in their faces are f*cking ridiculous.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 01:01)
I think it's silly, childish, and ridiculous. These "freedom fighters" should go find something to do with their lives other than bothering police officers who are trying to do their job. If it's something truly out of line, like incredibly excessive force, then videotape it. But these people who literally try to aggravate cops by sticking cameras in their faces are f*cking ridiculous.

The way this whole thing has flip flopped just shows me how stupidly partisan this country is, if you go on the ultra conservative website liveleak and look at the comments that are left for videos of people filming themselves questioning police with their smartphones out and citing articles of the constitution (mind you they have to be of a specific background and persuasion to receive praise) you'll see they're applauded by those neo-con weirdos because the current Administration leans to the left when 6 years ago the same people would've said they were obstructing justice and were hippie douchebags with too much time on their hands.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:46 AM

QUOTE (fatal1ty619 @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 00:30)
Well, that is the good thing about the United States. Videotaping anyone in a public place is protected by the First Amendment.[...] Some places, if you don't announce to the officer that you are audio recording them (even in a public place), you can be given a wiretapping charge, which again, is BS.

I believe only 38 states allow recording of police.

Twisting laws is the duty of Police to accomplish their agendas.
Cops lie to you, you can't misstate to them, et cetera.

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:53 AM

A good way to have a traffic stop while recording: (hypothetical)

*cop pulls you over, walks up to window*

-with hands visible, holding camera, announce to cop you are video/audio recording

-ask why you were pulled over. If the officer doesn't give a valid reason:

-ask if you are being detained. If the officer says no:

-tell officer you refuse to give him credentials until he gives a valid reason for pulling you over

The reason people should record officers, is because many hypothetical situations like this happen every day, and officers may arrest you, detain you, search you, etc, without valid reason, then find a reason to arrest you, which is illegal for them to do. Recording gives people evidence of the officer breaking the law. If you use something like Qik, police can't simply delete video if they confiscate your camera illegally. A lot of people blindly allow their rights to be violated, and if they were more educated about stuff like this, police forces would be forced to be more careful about what they say and how they act. The way they handle their jobs has an actively (highly) positive, or negative, impact on their respective jurisdictions.

Melchior
  • Melchior

come on and tell me twice

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 11:01)

Cops need cameras in their face 24/7 tbh.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users