Photo

How to Prevent GTAV Trolls

10 replies to this topic
supermati
  • supermati

Non Playable Character

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:08 AM

Now, it's impossible to do this, but I suggested something in a topic named: Will you leave the forum once V comes out?

How about creating a specific GTAV forum section exclusive to not recently registered forum members? New registered trolls with spoilery usernames won't be able to post there. New honest and cool members won't either, unfortunately.

By creating this section, the Forums can still get their influx of new users while the loyal ones won't have the need to avoid them. It may even push trolls away since they won't spoil as much people as they'd like.

It's a real issue, people will try to avoid the forums in order to not get spoiled, and this solution, while not perfect, may help in a way.

What do you guys think?

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the light

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:18 AM

I don't really see a point. If it comes down to it, trolls will just post their spoilers elsewhere on the forums. I don't think this will really help a whole lot unless I'm missing something here.

supermati
  • supermati

Non Playable Character

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE (Tacymist @ Sunday, Jul 7 2013, 22:18)
I don't really see a point. If it comes down to it, trolls will just post their spoilers elsewhere on the forums. I don't think this will really help a whole lot unless I'm missing something here.

Well if I wanted to avoid spoilers I would just visit that specific section, where I know no recently registered users would be allowed to post.

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the light

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

But what measures would be taken to prevent any older members who may feel an urge to troll?

supermati
  • supermati

Non Playable Character

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE (Tacymist @ Sunday, Jul 7 2013, 22:33)
But what measures would be taken to prevent any older members who may feel an urge to troll?

That's true, I am assuming two things that I am not completely sure of (maybe an admin can enlighten us?)

Trolls are generally new members.
Older users don't want to ruin their reputation.

Both assumptions, I might be wrong.

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the light

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

Well I can tell you those aren't the best things to assume. Not all old members are going to care about their reputation and for the hell of it will just troll on. Just how not all new members will come by just to spoil things for others. People are just going to have to be careful where they go when the game comes out, I honestly don't think there's any real way to keep people safe from spoilers otherwise.

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here.

• United-States

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:16 AM

There is really no effective way to move older members with at least ## posts into a special group with a separate V forum. Even if we somehow did that, we'd have two segregated forums discussing roughly the same things and the redundancy would make a mess of things if/when they were merged later on.

About the best we can do is have enough staff keeping a close eye on things around the clock to minimize the damage.

Moved to suggestions.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:55 AM

To be fair even an older join date doesn't mean there wont be negligence. Older members are probably less prone to doing it because they've been here longer, but it still doesn't mean they wont.

I remember some halfwit who had a 2008 join date spoiled the ending of RDR in what was then known as the "GTA: Next" forum. It really pissed me off too. Intentional or not.

I'm with Xcomm on this. I can't see an effective way around it. Just got to try the best we can to prevent it as much as possible.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

Not every old member is a good member really, for example look at Greenrock. You wouldn't call him a loyal member would you?

And what about the loyal old members creating new accounts? What would happen to them?

The best thing we can do is, sit back and report the post and move on. This is will all die down after GTA V releases though, which is just a few months away. This sort of thing happens whenever a big game is about to release.

gtamad8
  • gtamad8

The Miracle

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

It's a really difficult thing to deal with, there isn't any real way that the mods can stop trolls other than having threads be submitted to them before they're posted. But that would be tedious and long because of the low amount of mods, unless mods from all sections got the notification for thread submissions. But I agree when the game comes out those who get the guide will just troll with it and the V section will be spoiler galore, so I guess my advice is not to go there. I can't wait for the users to appear called "FranklinDies" or "TrevorTraitor".

Spoilers don't bother me anyway though but I can see why others would get annoyed.

Josh410
  • Josh410

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:13 AM

you cant prevent them. this is a public forum where anyone is allowed to post under forum rules.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users