Photo

Rebuilding Archive in San Andreas

5 replies to this topic
R3dm34t
  • R3dm34t

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

I've been modding San Andreas for a while now, and have always been rebuilding the archive in image tool after each individual mod install. My question is can you install multiple mods without closing img tool before rebuilding? Rebuilding the archive after every car or weapon install can get tedious confused.gif

aStiffSausage
  • aStiffSausage

Formerly Oksu

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

You can close IMG Tool before rebuilding, rebuilding archive is just a prodecure to do which makes new files "available" for the game. So if you forget rebuilding archive before you go to play, you won't see any changes in-game.

R3dm34t
  • R3dm34t

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (oksa8 @ Sunday, Jul 7 2013, 19:31)
You can close IMG Tool before rebuilding, rebuilding archive is just a prodecure to do which makes new files "available" for the game. So if you forget rebuilding archive before you go to play, you won't see any changes in-game.

Right, but can I install multiple mods in the gta3.img file before rebuilding, or do I have to rebuild each time I install something?

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (oksa8 @ Sunday, Jul 7 2013, 21:31)

That's not true. You should always be able to see new mods in game, but the thing is, replaced files are usually biggers than their original counterparts. All the IMG editors choose the fast way and zero/keep the old data in its position (if there's not enough space to fit in a new file) and instead add a new file at the end of the IMG. Rebuild Archive gets rid of unused data and organizes the image file, resulting in a smaller filesize and better loading times.

And yes, you can install multiple files before rebuilding the archive - it's a good habit to rebuild the archive every time you finish the current modding session (say, installed the mod/two/three in a row, without launching the game inbetween), though.

R3dm34t
  • R3dm34t

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (SilentPL @ Sunday, Jul 7 2013, 19:38)
QUOTE (oksa8 @ Sunday, Jul 7 2013, 21:31)

That's not true. You should always be able to see new mods in game, but the thing is, replaced files are usually biggers than their original counterparts. All the IMG editors choose the fast way and zero/keep the old data in its position (if there's not enough space to fit in a new file) and instead add a new file at the end of the IMG. Rebuild Archive gets rid of unused data and organizes the image file, resulting in a smaller filesize and better loading times.

And yes, you can install multiple files before rebuilding the archive - it's a good habit to rebuild the archive every time you finish the current modding session (say, installed the mod/two/three in a row, without launching the game inbetween), though.

Great, thanks! I know it's not necessary, but I make sure to do it anyway; especially considering the fact that practically every readme file screams at you to do it lol

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

There is nothing against doing rebuilds often - they don't takemore than several minutes (if you're unlucky, lol), but they decrease file size and sometimes significantly improve the stability.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users