How to "hide"

7 replies to this topic
EvilFuture
  • EvilFuture

To Harm and Withhold™

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:56 AM

I seen on the "help" section under "forum tools" that you could choose to hide when you log in to remain anonymous. Well, I have no idea how to do that, nothing like that shows up. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Matty
  • Matty

Wiseguy

• Australia

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

You have to log out. When you log out, click the "Log In" link and tick the box that says "Don't add me to the active users list", then click the "Log Me In" button.

See image below:
user posted image

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Can I ask. Why would anyone want to specifically be anonymous?

Miro
  • Miro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

Moderators and Administrators appear in Yellow (Admins) & Blue (Mods), so they're easily noticed on the online list. Most spammers and newbies will send them PMs to ask about various stuff, since they're highlighted. That's why they hide themselves; if they were visible, they'd get a ton of PMs about a lot of members, since they see them online and think they're available for questions. Same goes for various members. I'm myself anonymous to avoid getting stalked. I once made myself visible and this happened. tounge.gif

In all seriousness, staff doesn't wish to be sent messages all day, that's why they hide themselves.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE (miromiro @ Sunday, Jul 7 2013, 12:11)
Moderators and Administrators appear in Yellow (Admins) & Blue (Mods), so they're easily noticed on the online list. Most spammers and newbies will send them PMs to ask about various stuff, since they're highlighted. That's why they hide themselves; if they were visible, they'd get a ton of PMs about a lot of members, since they see them online and think they're available for questions. Same goes for various members. I'm myself anonymous to avoid getting stalked. I once made myself visible and this happened. tounge.gif

In all seriousness, staff doesn't wish to be sent messages all day, that's why they hide themselves.

Ah... Thanks miromiro, you really are a big help around the forum smile.gif

Gray Wolf
  • Gray Wolf

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (miromiro)
I once made myself visible and this happened. tounge.gif

I was grumpy all day thanks to that! tounge.gif

Anyway another reason to being invisible is some members generally like to stay under the radar if they are a bit infamous around the forums (pretty much to avoid detection)

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (GTAKid667 @ Sunday, Jul 7 2013, 17:25)

I generally log in annonymously when I'm in office. During this time, I only deal with moderation duties because I'm not sure when work might interrupt me. So, if someone sees me online and wants to PM me, I may or may not be able to respond and the user might end up thinking that he's being ignored, which is not the case. Although these days, I'm available most of the times.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (Girish @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 12:12)
QUOTE (GTAKid667 @ Sunday, Jul 7 2013, 17:25)

I generally log in annonymously when I'm in office. During this time, I only deal with moderation duties because I'm not sure when work might interrupt me. So, if someone sees me online and wants to PM me, I may or may not be able to respond and the user might end up thinking that he's being ignored, which is not the case. Although these days, I'm available most of the times.

Ok, Thanks Girish smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users