MODDING 101

6 replies to this topic
Mega_Byte
  • Mega_Byte

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

Hey guys,

What would somebody need in order to begin modding GTA games?

I am very green on this subject; as I've only recently discovered that such a thing exists. And prior to reading some of these posts I thought it was a much simpler task. I didn't realize it was more in-depth than just choosing from some onscreen menus.

By the way, I am a quasi-established programmer. I've written a lot of code in VBA (mainly for Excel); plus I'm pretty handy at debugging/changing code when necessary. I'm just curious to know the basics of Modding GTA Games.

What would someone need in order to begin modding GTA Games?
What is it like modifying games? What dangers are involved with doing such a thing?

Thanks in advance.

julionib
  • julionib

Coder

• Feroci Racing
  • Brazil

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

the danger is get adicted hehe

i started modding gta in october of 2012 modifying a telekinesis vb.net script, things evolved and i created very interesting scripts (im my opinion)

i guess that as a begin an nice language and a nice editor are welcome, C# its the favorite of the modders, i use VB.net because i see no sense in some case sensitive things like folder/file names and programming languages ^^, also its easy to read and understand the code because we have more words than symbols.

for editor Visual studio basic 2012 its a free and good choice, the code completion will help a lot

i started an series of tutorials about scripting for gta iv with vb.net and scripthook some time ago but now im very busy to create new ones, you can find it here:

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=529784

also you can try to create SCO scripts or ASI scripts (i have no idea how), if im not wrong they use c++ or something like that, the good of SCO is that may be compatible with consoles, but its harder to test if compared to scripthook method

pedro2555
  • pedro2555

Open Sourcer

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

Grab any free version of Visual Studio (VB or C#), and start learning one of those languages. Once you have the basis of one them, just take look to what ScriptHookDoNet provides and play around with it.

Mostly you will get knowledge from other people, so take a look at every stuff related to GTA modding. Julio's tutorials are excelent, even if you go with C#, VB will, nevertheless, be understandable. If you go with VB, you're at home there. This forum itself, is pretty excelent, a good search on posts in here will reveal a lot.

And I would like to point out, I don't agree with Julio's statment on C# vs VB, they are both very easy. The differences are, almost only, in syntax. Ending up to a personal decision, mostly based on what language you've explored the most. I found VB a bit confusing in bigger projects, on the other hand it has a more 'to the point' sintax, but that's just me, a C# guy. (I'm talking VB.NET here, that's good to point out). Not trying to offend you in any way, Julio, but that's my view.

So just make your choice, if you're going just for modding GTA, then VB is the choice, Julio has it covered.

You can learn this in one month, if you really have the time. But you are always improving.

julionib
  • julionib

Coder

• Feroci Racing
  • Brazil

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

ok, not offended smile.gif

i was creating some C# codes those days to show an example to an guy, it's cool with a good editor with code completion like visual studio express

Mega_Byte
  • Mega_Byte

Snitch

• Members

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

Cool,

Thanks.

1. How is it possible to Mod this game in so many different programming languages? Didn't Rockstar make it in only one language? How does this not cause severe conflicts in the coding?

2. What kind of hardware would you suggest? I doubt any of my laptops (2.00 Ghz processor at best, nVidia7 video chip at best) could handle a console videogame. So, what kind of hardware are we talking about?

3. Cost? How much would it cost for someone to get started with this stuff?

pedro2555
  • pedro2555

Open Sourcer

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:22 PM Edited by pedro2555, 21 July 2013 - 06:29 PM.

QUOTE (Mega_Byte @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 17:55)
Cool,

Thanks.

1. How is it possible to Mod this game in so many different programming languages? Didn't Rockstar make it in only one language? How does this not cause severe conflicts in the coding?

2. What kind of hardware would you suggest? I doubt any of my laptops (2.00 Ghz processor at best, nVidia7 video chip at best) could handle a console videogame. So, what kind of hardware are we talking about?

3. Cost? How much would it cost for someone to get started with this stuff?

The game is most likelly coded in a lower level language (C++ if I was to guess). What happens is magician Aru created the C++ Scripthook, which, as the name suggest, hooks itself to GTA IV memory, changing tons of data on the fly on your orders.

Then another magician came, HazardX, and warped the functions available with C++ Scripthook in to an easy to use library using .NET naming conventions and all the good stuff from .NET (including multiple languages).

There is a bit more to it, but in a nutshell that is what happens.

I used to play with Intel Quad Core @ 3GHz with 16GB of RAM and an overclocked NVidia 9600GT graphics chipset. Game runs very well on that setup, not on full graphics tho.

But believe it or not, right now I develop in a laptop, 1.6GHz Atom Dual Core 4GB RAM, NVidia Ion with 256MB of VRAM. Asus EEE PC 1201n (http://www.asus.com/...#specifications) it is a modified top of the range model. (4GB instead of 2GB). And it is possible to develop with my current setup. Only Ultimate Fuel Script wasn't developed wih the Asus laptop.

Computer cost + GTA IV cost. Everything else is free.
C++ Scripthook - Free and Open Source.
.NET Scripthook - Free and Open Source.
Microsoft's Visual Studio - not 100% free, but has fully fledge free editions (there is no language feature not available in free versions, all is supported, the payed version simply allows more usability.) Actually I think the full studio is available for free when in release candidate, but yeah, we've downgraded from VS2012 to VS2010 due to some bugs, so it is your decision.

But cost wise programming is free.

pedro2555
  • pedro2555

Open Sourcer

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (julionib @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 16:17)
ok, not offended smile.gif

i was creating some C# codes those days to show an example to an guy, it's cool with a good editor with code completion like visual studio express

Yeah sure, I can't even program without VS's IntelliSense anymore, and let's face it, it is the main function of MS VS. I use the Ultimate Edition for a while now, I'm able to due to work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users