Photo

The New Generation of Consoles

31 replies to this topic
Ibrahimhassounah
  • Ibrahimhassounah

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:56 PM

* Microsoft is creating a console called the Xbox One and Microsoft have 23 studios for game development
* Sony is creating a console called the PS4 and Sony have 12 studios for game development
* Valve is (rumored) creating Steam Box and Valve have 1 studio for game development
* Nintendo is having WiiU on the market and Nintendo have 23 studios for game development
* Google is (rumored) creating a gaming console and Google have no studios for game development
* Apple is (rumored) creating a gaming console and Apple have no studios for game development

So now that we know that there will be 3 new competitors in the console cycle , who do you think will have the better console ?

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:19 AM

This can only turn into a fangirl war because kids are not capable of discussing these things in a adult manor. Still I'll post my opinion.

I wouldn't say a console is "better" than the other as they are equal depending your preference. Personally I'll go with the PS4 first as I enjoy the PS exclusives more. That's the only reason. I'll buy a Xbox One and Wii U down the line when the price had dropped considerably like I did this gen because the consoles only have a handful of exclusives that interest me.

I won't buy a PS4 until several months after launch because I'm quite happy with my current consoles. This will give me enough time to save the cash, launch day bugs will be resolved and more games will be out for the system. I can't justify buying a next gen console at launch with so much life left in current gen consoles.

Ibrahimhassounah
  • Ibrahimhassounah

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE (wwinterj @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 00:19)
This can only turn into a fangirl war because kids are not capable of discussing these things in a adult manor. Still I'll post my opinion.

I wouldn't say a console is "better" than the other as they are equal depending your preference. Personally I'll go with the PS4 first as I enjoy the PS exclusives more. That's the only reason. I'll buy a Xbox One and Wii U down the line when the price had dropped considerably like I did this gen because the consoles only have a handful of exclusives that interest me.

I won't buy a PS4 until several months after launch because I'm quite happy with my current consoles. This will give me enough time to save the cash, launch day bugs will be resolved and more games will be out for the system. I can't justify buying a next gen console at launch with so much life left in current gen consoles.

Good Choice , I'll be buying the Xbox One first cause of Dead Rising 3 being exclusive but I'll sure but a PS4 cause of Infamous : Second Son and the next generation of Naughty Dogs

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:11 AM

I'm getting PS4. Naughty Dog all day but if Valve makes a console and has the same sales as Steam then that console is a must. Xbox One no cause they tried to steal my rights. Apple no cause they're just as bad as Microsoft. Google would be interesting to see. WiiU no.

rhyn
  • rhyn

SRS BSNS

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE (redx165 @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 01:11)
if Valve makes a console and has the same sales as Steam then that console is a must..

If the new Valve system has the same sales Steam has then Microsoft and Sony will be forced to follow suit or they will lose a giant chunk of their business. The joys of a free market.

Mr.Mordecai
  • Mr.Mordecai

To be, or not to be. That is the question.

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:36 AM

I'm gonna plan on getting a Xbox One, and a Wii U. tounge.gif

I'd be interested in getting a Apple/Valve console. Ouya somewhat got the google thing down.

Though, a Dreamcast 2 would be nice. moto_whistle.gif

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:01 AM

Nintendo needs to get rid of this Wii sh*t. Make an actual console, not a piece of crap for weight watchers.

Anyway, PlayStation 4 is my choice. Wasn't a big fan of the PS3, but Sony has improved many things. And in addition, I don't trust anything involving Microsoft anymore.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:39 AM

I'll get a PS4 when I get the money for it. I'll also probably pick up a handheld console some time in the future because I'm always down for handheld stuff. Otherwise I'm going to probably stay away from mainstream (I hate using that word like this) gaming.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:04 AM Edited by Erebos, 05 July 2013 - 05:07 AM.

I'll be going for Sony, I'll probably get a slim Xbox One or when the new Halo is out.

As for Apple not having a studio I'll count Gameloft as theirs since they optimize their games for apple products. If they decide to make a console then Gameloft will make a majority of their games like Real Soccer, NOVA, and Modern Combat.

MrSpooge
  • MrSpooge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:41 AM

I'll wait a week after release to see which Console has the better Exclusives/Titles. How they run and reviews on the console, giving a Console a weak or two before Release is a wise move. Unless I want to be treated with the RROD or YLOD again I'll wait a week.. I believe I'll give the Bone because of Dead Rising. + I already have Gold. Wish I'd changed to Plus+ ages ago but alas, I did not.. Sonys online always seemed to Lag or Piss me off..

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Yardie Achievement Award

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

Apple doesn't have to make a dedicated gaming system. Eventually console gaming will die and the majority of the gaming industry will migrate to tablets and phones when they become powerful enough to run AAA titles. It is inevitable. It is the natural progression. Just like when the arcades were replaced by home consoles. I don't know when it's gonna happen, but probably sometime in the next 20 years.

Ibrahimhassounah
  • Ibrahimhassounah

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 09:28)
Apple doesn't have to make a dedicated gaming system. Eventually console gaming will die and the majority of the gaming industry will migrate to tablets and phones when they become powerful enough to run AAA titles. It is inevitable. It is the natural progression. Just like when the arcades were replaced by home consoles. I don't know when it's gonna happen, but probably sometime in the next 20 years.

Until then , we'll see something from Apple for gaming and that is a game console so maybe iPlay will be great to play on

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

Like Vanja said, console gaming will die. Handhelds and tablets are already a fashion and with the release of GTA III and Vice City for the iOS and Android, it's already taking gaming a step-up. It won't happen for another fifty years though, but just imagine playing GTA 23 or something on a handheld device.

Ibrahimhassounah
  • Ibrahimhassounah

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (AceKingston @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 10:40)
Like Vanja said, console gaming will die. Handhelds and tablets are already a fashion and with the release of GTA III and Vice City for the iOS and Android, it's already taking gaming a step-up. It won't happen for another fifty years though, but just imagine playing GTA 23 or something on a handheld device.

I don't think the Houser twins will be in the work and that means no more Rockstar Games so no GTA 23

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

I still think Microsoft and Sony will have the upper hand, because they've been making consoles for a while and are the known console makers, with a fanbase that can rely on getting either/both the consoles, whereas a google/apple/valve console won't have the distinction of being proven to be from a good console maker.

However, you can tell the effect of exclusives isn't going to be so great for PS4 and XB1 since a lot of the games they touted as exclusives are coming to the previous generation and/or PC, reducing the effect they have.

IIRC the PS4 is actually more powerful than the XB1 in terms of graphics card, and has GDDR5, which is more graphics oriented, as opposed to DDR3 from the XB1. I believe.

Ibrahimhassounah
  • Ibrahimhassounah

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (RedDaggerXL @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 11:58)
I still think Microsoft and Sony will have the upper hand, because they've been making consoles for a while and are the known console makers, with a fanbase that can rely on getting either/both the consoles, whereas a google/apple/valve console won't have the distinction of being proven to be from a good console maker.

However, you can tell the effect of exclusives isn't going to be so great for PS4 and XB1 since a lot of the games they touted as exclusives are coming to the previous generation and/or PC, reducing the effect they have.

IIRC the PS4 is actually more powerful than the XB1 in terms of graphics card, and has GDDR5, which is more graphics oriented, as opposed to DDR3 from the XB1. I believe.

I yet think that Apple , Google and Valve will come out with something great

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Grill

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • San-Marino

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (Ibrahimhassounah @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 11:15)
QUOTE (AceKingston @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 10:40)

I don't think the Houser twins will be in the work and that means no more Rockstar Games so no GTA 23

Not really.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• Members
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

I believe the Google and Apple consoles will be like the Ouya, so nothing remarkable about it.

Console gaming won't die, certainly not anytime soon. Handheld have decent games but nothing that would kill console gaming and an overall larger game. Look at Minecraft on handhelds, it's horrible, same with GTA.

Ibrahimhassounah
  • Ibrahimhassounah

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (GunWrath @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 19:20)
I believe the Google and Apple consoles will be like the Ouya, so nothing remarkable about it.

Console gaming won't die, certainly not anytime soon. Handheld have decent games but nothing that would kill console gaming and an overall larger game. Look at Minecraft on handhelds, it's horrible, same with GTA.

I hope not , I need real consoles , not android based consoles

nigelhere9901
  • nigelhere9901

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

What is this thread about? Elucidate me please.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

GTA 3 & VC play wonderfully on iPad.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Zaibatsu
  • Japan

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

Valve isn't building a console themselves, another company is. The steambox or whatever it is called is pretty much just a computer that runs steam games.

Apple making their own home console, very unlikely. Their target audience aren't people who would go for consoles. And if they did, it wouldn't be cheaper than their competitors, and the only "advantage" it would get would be for iTunes and build quality, but that won't be enough for a dedicated gaming machine. Plus, you can already stream your stuff to your tv, or apple tv or whatever they have.

Google making a console is an interesting move, I bet they're waiting to see how the Ouya fares. Android can become a nice platform for games if it gets a system powerful enough. It wouldn't be hard for Google to persuade a couple studios to create exclusive content for them, and it would be very open to the independent market anyway. It could be interesting. To the guy saying "androids aren't real console" all I have to say is "lol".

For the current 3, Nintendo is in the most comfortable position. Their 3DS has finally picked up steam, and is making them a nice sum. By the time the other two come, they will have a bigger catalog of games for their platform and will also be able to cut the price a bit for the holiday sales, which will make the console a more attractive purchase for non-knowledgeable parents. I'm picking one up next year when I move to Japan.

Xbox One and PS4 will continue with their battle for domination of the "hardcore" audience. Neither of the exclusives interest me very much, and the other games I can play on my PC anyway. But I might pick up a PS4, if only because their exclusives interest me more than the Xbox One.

For the future, it's not gonna be what we have now. A home console is losing its space on the new generation home. What I'd like to see is a smaller portable console, with a lot of power, that can stream the games to your other bigger screens, and you can carry around with your for some portable gaming, and has connectivity to other peripherals like controllers or keyboard+mouse combo that you can use when you wanna switch up gameplay. That would be the real deal.

Ibrahimhassounah
  • Ibrahimhassounah

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (nigelhere9901 @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 20:53)

What can we predict from the future of gaming

Ibrahimhassounah
  • Ibrahimhassounah

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (Tchuck @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 21:23)
Valve isn't building a console themselves, another company is. The steambox or whatever it is called is pretty much just a computer that runs steam games.

Apple making their own home console, very unlikely. Their target audience aren't people who would go for consoles. And if they did, it wouldn't be cheaper than their competitors, and the only "advantage" it would get would be for iTunes and build quality, but that won't be enough for a dedicated gaming machine. Plus, you can already stream your stuff to your tv, or apple tv or whatever they have.

Google making a console is an interesting move, I bet they're waiting to see how the Ouya fares. Android can become a nice platform for games if it gets a system powerful enough. It wouldn't be hard for Google to persuade a couple studios to create exclusive content for them, and it would be very open to the independent market anyway. It could be interesting. To the guy saying "androids aren't real console" all I have to say is "lol".

For the current 3, Nintendo is in the most comfortable position. Their 3DS has finally picked up steam, and is making them a nice sum. By the time the other two come, they will have a bigger catalog of games for their platform and will also be able to cut the price a bit for the holiday sales, which will make the console a more attractive purchase for non-knowledgeable parents. I'm picking one up next year when I move to Japan.

Xbox One and PS4 will continue with their battle for domination of the "hardcore" audience. Neither of the exclusives interest me very much, and the other games I can play on my PC anyway. But I might pick up a PS4, if only because their exclusives interest me more than the Xbox One.

For the future, it's not gonna be what we have now. A home console is losing its space on the new generation home. What I'd like to see is a smaller portable console, with a lot of power, that can stream the games to your other bigger screens, and you can carry around with your for some portable gaming, and has connectivity to other peripherals like controllers or keyboard+mouse combo that you can use when you wanna switch up gameplay. That would be the real deal.

Valve is developing a console that isn't Xi3 and that is the console that is being developed by the other company

Apple is gonna make something I believe that will be powerful

Google , I hope they make a true console and not an android

nigelhere9901
  • nigelhere9901

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (Ibrahimhassounah @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 21:29)
QUOTE (nigelhere9901 @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 20:53)

What can we predict from the future of gaming

I'm no prophet, but I have a feeling this time the One will win sales wise. Wii U looks like a turd, unlike the Wii, I don't think people will buy it as much. On the contrary, I think the majority of the casual gamers will go for the XBOX One.

For me, considering what I've seen so far, the PS4 is the best choice for a gaming console.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE (Ibrahimhassounah @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 15:36)

Yeah, I feel you on that one.

I'd like to see Google make a console to compete with Sony and Microsoft. We have plenty of developers out there, I think we need more gaming platforms of full scale.

Ibrahimhassounah
  • Ibrahimhassounah

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (GunWrath @ Saturday, Jul 6 2013, 00:02)
QUOTE (Ibrahimhassounah @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 15:36)

Yeah, I feel you on that one.

I'd like to see Google make a console to compete with Sony and Microsoft. We have plenty of developers out there, I think we need more gaming platforms of full scale.

I'll love to see Google , Valve and Apple make a competition , I feel that six consoles on the table will be great !!!!!

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

Or Sony and Microsoft to merge .. make the Matrix console ph34r.gif

Ibrahimhassounah
  • Ibrahimhassounah

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (GunWrath @ Saturday, Jul 6 2013, 00:11)
Or Sony and Microsoft to merge .. make the Matrix console ph34r.gif

Good Idea , let's put Oculus Rift in there hand , Omni and merge the Eyetoy with the Kinect so we have the true matrix but will have to pay a billion dollar to get it but it's ok , in 2020 everybody will have billions, right ?

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Zaibatsu
  • Japan

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE (Ibrahimhassounah @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 13:33)

Valve is developing a console that isn't Xi3 and that is the console that is being developed by the other company

It's going to be a steam box regardless, it will play your steam games. That's it. Nothing revolutionary about it.

Apple is gonna make something I believe that will be powerful

What are you basing your belief on? Wishful thinking? It must be, cause if you look at Apple's strategy over the years, a console is the last thing they'd think of releasing.

Google , I hope they make a true console and not an android

What you hope, doesn't matter. What qualifies as a true console? The OS? The specs? The look and size? The games? And yeah, as if Google would be stupid enough to invest a lot of time and resources on an OS, only to ditch it when a chance to make it shine appears, throw everything away and start fresh.

Bottomline: Apple won't enter the competition with the other three. IF it did, it wouldn't be competing against the Xbox One or the PS4, but against the WiiU, which shares it's target audience. So the idea of a high quality Apple console to run the latest generation games is not going to happen. Valve will keep plying their trade with the Steam and Steam related products. They're not control freaks like Nintendo, so they don't need to have their own platform for playing games in, and can, and most likely will, get by with a simple device that plays your Steam games, competing against maybe lower end computers.
And for Google, if they make it, it will be Android. Most likely not to compete against PS4 and Xbox One, but with Nintendo and other game-playing-devices.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users