How is R* able to do such good games

86 replies to this topic
alex3
  • alex3

\m/ o_o \m/

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

This interview explains very well why Rockstar's games are as good as they are.

Gurke0711
  • Gurke0711

Likes Bratwurst in his mouth! Wait...wut?!

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (alex3 @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 10:02)

They made it clear, they want the best of the best.

Path to perfection! That's R* for ya and that's why i love them. inlove.gif

KeithoMahony
  • KeithoMahony

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

In terms of open world games, I feel like R* will always be a step ahead because they seem to just try and
make the world interesting on it's own, without any story.

Other games, especially Ubisoft games, do things the other way around. Making the gameplay as "cool-looking"
as possible then just cram as many side missions in as possible (regardless of quality) hoping to make it feel
like there's loads to do.

This is why other games, like AC and probably Watch Dogs, always fall short of the endless fun you find in R*'s open worlds.

I shouldn't judge Watch Dogs till I play it, but I have very little hope for it.

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

The thing is that Rockstar puts alot of effort into their titles, and always try to make sure they're as polished as possible. They treat their franchises and games with alot of dedication and care, and don't see it as necessary to milk them with yearly installments.

I don't like sounding like a fanboy, but I just have alot of respect for Rockstar because of the quality they can produce. They are infamous though for buggy PC ports and although I am not a PC gamer, I wish they'd show a bit more respect for the PC gaming community.

Redwood Cigarettes
  • Redwood Cigarettes

The R★ Games Collector.

• Members
  • England

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (alex3 @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 08:02)

Good video to demonstrate the level of talent that Rockstar look for.
They are looking for people with that extra 'something' about their work.

T.P.E
  • T.P.E

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (KeithoMahony @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 12:05)
In terms of open world games, I feel like R* will always be a step ahead because they seem to just try and
make the world interesting on it's own, without any story.

Other games, especially Ubisoft games, do things the other way around. Making the gameplay as "cool-looking"
as possible then just cram as many side missions in as possible (regardless of quality) hoping to make it feel
like there's loads to do.

This is why other games, like AC and probably Watch Dogs, always fall short of the endless fun you find in R*'s open worlds.

I shouldn't judge Watch Dogs till I play it, but I have very little hope for it.

you are so right, and i was just thinking the same thing. The key word is FUN

I would say watch dogs looks more like splinter cell or even mgs than gta but thats my po

MotjoBoss
  • MotjoBoss

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

They started with this concept in the early 90s. Long before others started open world games. So its experience and passion. Rockstar said they will stop making gta when they created the perfect freeroam game.

TakinThyBacon
  • TakinThyBacon

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

I feel that a lot of the quality is a product of private ownership and a drive for quality over quantity.

For example look at the Call Of Duty franchise, the push a new game out every year or so and they remain basically unchanged, you know what your getting when you buy COD, same old game with a few new maps and features, but everything is virtually the same. It has been said that this is a direct result of putting profits over originality and a refusal to stray from the status quo.

Rockstar on the other hand always strives to be unique and to push their games beyond what the fans demand, that is a true sign of dedication, the will to give more than is expected.

BattleExel
  • BattleExel

New account: Valwin

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

Education and talent.

hitman_for_hire
  • hitman_for_hire

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (alex3 @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 08:02)

Good find 👍

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (gtavpoliceimprovements @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 23:01)
They take time and effort to create quality games, and listen to their fans

This. Today 99% of the games is rushed and made in exactly 2 years or even 1.

Mr. Cozzarelli
  • Mr. Cozzarelli

Thug

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (Gurke0711 @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 09:30)
They made it clear, they want the best of the best.

Path to perfection! That's R* for ya and that's why i love them.

Yeah, I feel the same.

The whole game industry is split in two halfs.
1. Rockstar Games
2. The rest

Starz
  • Starz

Niko

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

Passion, talent, hard work, commitment, listening to fans...

All adds up to the amazing games they make smile.gif

WalterS_LV
  • WalterS_LV

One ticket to LS please

• Members
  • Latvia

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

The answer is simple. They don`t release a new game from the same franchise every year. They put a huge effort in making the game and they deliver what people want. If people want chaos, they bring chaos. If people want customization, they bring customization. Also so far GTA 4 is the only game where the DLC feels like a DLC not something that was brutaly ripped out of a complete game with a knife just to earn an extra buck.

Also R* is awesome.

richard1997jones
  • richard1997jones

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

They are perfectionists. If they aren't happy they won't release it, I guess that's why V was delayed.

Maggot899
  • Maggot899

Golf Wang

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

Despite what some people like to believe, Rockstar loves their fans. They listen to us, and understand that complex storytelling as well as tons of details make a game great. It isn't about tons of guns, explosions, and killing people, but how that ties into the world around you and how you can interact with it. They know what we want because they want to make a game that people want to play, not a game to rake in quick cash and pass the players time for awhile.

MagzGTA
  • MagzGTA

The 1975-Tones

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

I guess cause they've had so much experience and they have a dedicated team, and I imagine they treat their staff well.

Mr. Darko
  • Mr. Darko

My lies are better.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 07:48)
I didn't mean to word it in a negative way. If it came across like that I apologise. The GTA series has always had good core mechanics, but some game other games seem to be a bit more solid. For example melee combat for whatever reason has been rather ordinary in GTA games.

R* have definitely made head way since GTA IV. RDR and MP3 show how much potential Euphoria has and I'm sure GTA V will be the most evolved yet. smile.gif

Well, what you said was true for R*'s games. Their games go all over the place and thus don't have a tight focus on specific features, while a game dedicated to that will implement them much better. For instance. GTA V will apparently have some stealth mechanics, but I think we can all guess that they won't be anything compared to, say, Ubisoft games which almost always have a focus on stealth. But I also notice how they build upon games that do have a certain focus. An interesting example is the addition of RDR's wildlife system into GTA V. Before this point, you wouldn't expect any kind of focus on wildlife or even domesticated animals in an open world crime simulator like GTA. But since they more or less perfected the living, breathing countryside in RDR, GTA V is taking that element and placing it into a genre you wouldn't normally expect. A more direct example would be implementing MP3's shooting mechanics, from a dedicated linear third person shooter, into GTA V, an open world game.

This sort of building-block mechanic is how R* is evolving the series more and more each time. But of course, it took time. Other developers had already perfected the core elements in their games well before then, because their games were more focused. But GTA is quickly catching up, only it's doing this its larger amount of individual elements. That's pretty exciting, imagining that a massive, content-rich open world game could play as fluidly in its individual elements as they would be in genre specific games. It boggles the mind how they could manage that. Really, they did it with lots of time. Lots of money and talent was involved as well, but I think time has been their most important resource, building upon not only previous iterations of the franchise, but also their other franchises as well.

Kaster
  • Kaster

Chant Hare Krishna and be Happy!

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (richard1997jones @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 15:13)
They are perfectionists. If they aren't happy they won't release it, I guess that's why V was delayed.

Thanks god rockstar employees have this mental disorder

MikeyB
  • MikeyB

Floppy Member

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

I feel sorry for R*.

They clearly have a passion for their games but by the time the game is completed they must be sick of seeing it.

Employees involved in the development won't be looking forward to the 17th to play it.

What DO they look forward to?

Kaster
  • Kaster

Chant Hare Krishna and be Happy!

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (MikeyB @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 21:29)
I feel sorry for R*.

They clearly have a passion for their games but by the time the game is completed they must be sick of seeing it.

Employees involved in the development won't be looking forward to the 17th to play it.

Watchdogs

Matt06
  • Matt06

Consigliere

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:07 PM

Rockstar/Housers are like the Shigeru Miyamoto of this generation.

Trund
  • Trund

I'm all of ach fo her

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (MikeyB @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 22:29)
I feel sorry for R*.

That's like a serious problem with R*, they simply take way too long nowadays to make a game. I'm pretty sure with all they money they have they could easily expand the company and hire a lot of talented programmers/artists etc. to speed up the progress. One can hope that with the easier architecture of next-gen consoles the game development time will decrease, but R* has other games in the pipeline which they used to not have, the company serious needs to expand at some point because I think 5-6 years between a GTA is just way too long, considering it's their best selling game and far in front of games like Red Dead and Max Payne.

GTAaddict2012
  • GTAaddict2012

Trevor Phillips Enterprises

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

All my games are R* games, just love the humor in some of them

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:29 PM Edited by brian., 06 July 2013 - 12:10 AM.

QUOTE (MikeyB @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 17:29)
I feel sorry for R*.

They look forward to this game and have less disgust with it by the end than we would think.

With some games, it would be true, but with GTA, the scope is so massive.

A map artist may not be super excited to play the world, but he hasn't heard everything on the tv or radio stations, he hasn't driven every single vehicle, and so on.

Many of the workers see only parts of the game, no doubt at all, and even if it's a big open romp and everyone gets to try out new stuff if they want, they still don't get to actually play the final game until everyone else does. Maybe the top-most people are tired of it by the time it comes out, but they sure had a lot of fun approving each part they're in charge of tounge.gif

It's for sure an experience for them, maybe not the same as the grand unveil for us, but it's not like most games, in the sense that there is so much content, so many different people working on little parts that make a huge whole, I myself believe that not one single person in the majority of Rockstar is tired of GTA until they play it at launch.

The guys who wrote the renderer may car little for it by then, and instead be into other games and RTR technology for their fix on rendering innovations, and Lazlow may turn off the music entirely and play the game with a different radio station in the background, stuff like that, but a lot of people are probably experiencing a lot of new stuff when the finished game comes out. The extreme example is probably voice actors, because their experience with the game is likely for most of them just doing their work, getting paid, and perhaps seeing it slightly before launch at a party for everyone or whatever. In no way is this for sure what Rockstar does, but's a likely thing perhaps, given the nature of how this stuff is known to go down around the entertainment industries, and how big of a scope grand theft auto provides, how wide of a depth.

The big thing for most of them is probably the entertainment based content, the peds, the funny stuff they say, the radio shows, the surprises they didn't know about, that others did - more so than the gameplay and features and stuff.

NightSpectre
  • NightSpectre

Pure Heroine

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

Because R* actually respects their customers, unlike most other companies.

DanieljJ
  • DanieljJ

Supersonic Bassman

• Members

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:37 AM

What I think folks miss is that while in between GTA games rockstar develop other games to test out new tech. That's the way they improve the GTA series a great deal between releases.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users