Photo

How is R* able to do such good games

86 replies to this topic
wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:54 PM

Not to kiss ass but the thing with R* is they take there time with there games and don't rush things out the door like other developers. Also they are British. tounge.gif

73duster
  • 73duster

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:05 AM

Rockstar just seems to be full of guys who are actual GAMERS. They really look like they enjoy video games, and are motivated to create the types of games most of us WISH we could be a part of. I always felt like their ideas were right in line with MY wishes for a video game, which i'm sure is what most of their fans feel like.
Few other games get me as excited as a Rockstar title does, and most other developers just look like they are in it to make a profit. Of course Rockstar wants to make money, but they don't skimp on development costs, or rehash(COD, Madden Football, etc.) tired old games.
It looks like the type of developer where you are only limited by your imagination, and not restrained by a budget or deadline.

Clay33
  • Clay33

Prankster

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:07 AM

This : $$$

NEONPOWER2
  • NEONPOWER2

███ The Last Genius ███

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:14 AM

every production team could deliver such a good game ... its just a matter of how much effort and creativity you put in it ... i mean if i could add my ideas to an open world game it would be 10 times better than gta5 , but that would take to much effort and time and rockstar got creative enough people to deliver these games in a relative short time by putting much effort in it tounge2.gif

gzam1312
  • gzam1312

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:28 AM

Agree, Far Cry 3 imo was the closest to R*'s world creation but, end of the day, only had 5% of the content.

Dan Houser reminds me of Ennio Morricone in that they're both just vessels through which some higher power is using to transmit wonderment.

LovesGTA
  • LovesGTA

*loves GTA*

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:01 AM

(Virtually) unlimited budgets, and immense talent which is arguably the best in the industry are the main reasons.

ed72o
  • ed72o

Thug

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:27 AM Edited by ed72o, 05 July 2013 - 02:29 AM.

QUOTE (Grand Theft Savage @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 22:58)
Isn't it obvious? Rockstar listens to feedback...

Even when it's bad feedback (such as DLC being suggested a year before the game is even out) suicidal.gif

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:27 AM

It's that magic you know?

Fluttershy Pony
  • Fluttershy Pony

Yay.

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:05 AM

Most game companies nowadays only care about pumping out the same genre of video games over and over with 5,000,000,000 DLC packs. Older video games can compare to many of Rockstar's games they currently release, since many games back then actually had effort put into them.

While Rockstar go their own way, they separate themselves from the typical video game crowds and make something different, and also put a lot of effort into it. That's what makes them so unique now. The only sad part is that they fell into the pre day-one DLC and cut content market, which put them closer to the generic video game companies.

While being different is good, it can be bad from perspectives such as the reviewers. They will most likely say GTA V is bad because of the graphics, even though graphics mean nothing in a game. Most newly released games are forgotten within about a month, but GTA V, much like its predecessors, won't be forgotten.

Foxhunt
  • Foxhunt

Highway To Hell

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:12 AM

QUOTE (Smaaske @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 18:56)
We will never know. Can't wait for the upcoming title Agent, I will defintely buy it.

If it ever comes out. sigh.gif

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Peon

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:15 AM

Other companies do. Konami does it with the MGS series. Naughty Dogs has done it with Uncharted and TLOU. Irrational has done it with Bioshock series. And Bestheda has some nice games out too.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:18 AM

QUOTE (godforgivesthelostdont @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 14:15)
Other companies do. Konami does it with the MGS series. Naughty Dogs has done it with Uncharted and TLOU. Irrational has done it with Bioshock series. And Bestheda has some nice games out too.

To be honest while I love GTA there are other games that do better in terms of core mechanics and such because quite frankly the GTA series has never been known for fluid and smooth gameplay.

In saying that there's a special ingredient that makes the games playable years down the track that some other games tend to not have.

JuanCortez
  • JuanCortez

Vice City

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:22 AM

The wonderful creative minds of Leslie Benzies and the Housers and everyone else at R*

These games just got that special something to it. f*cking love Rockstar icon14.gif

Mr. Darko
  • Mr. Darko

My lies are better.

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:29 AM

^^
What's nice though is that GTA's core mechanics are starting to actually become exceptional as well. GTA IV had some of the best driving physics in any open world game, and GTA V will be an improvement upon that. If the shooting mechanics are anything like MP3's (and confirmations from various previews suggests that it is), then it has exceptional third person shooting mechanics as well, for any game. The graphics are even becoming some of the best among open world games. This generation, R*'s games have started to become as good in their individual mechanics as they are as a whole.

What R* has to allow them to do this is a lot of talent among its many, many employees, a lot of time (they're certainly not rushed by their publisher, which fully backs their 'it's done when it's bloody well done' philosophy), and of course insanely huge budgets. And while it can probably be said they are mismanaged on some levels, the quality of their games suggests that they do not waste any of those plentiful resources. Ultimately, R* is good because they're very successful, which means they are not the underdog, but they also have a genuine passion for making good games that many underdog developers have, so they have the best of both worlds.

wendtcod
  • wendtcod

#TeamTrevor

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:35 AM

Rockstar takes there time to make everything perfect.. they dont rush everything, and shove out games every year. Rockstar is like fine wine comared to a box wine that would be infinity ward.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:18 AM

user posted image

Kaster
  • Kaster

Chant Hare Krishna and be Happy!

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:12 AM

Here is how

meanwhile in rockstar area 619...

user posted image

MrSpooge
  • MrSpooge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:16 AM

Obviously what we have before you is the obvious answer posted by the above users of this forum in there studies of how it's done.

Money + Oompa Loompas = Great Games.

GTA564
  • GTA564

gta>

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:48 AM Edited by GTA564, 05 July 2013 - 06:14 AM.

Rockstar are like those companies that change forever the industry in which they work
Such companies, also people, exist once in a century

KidAmnesiac42
  • KidAmnesiac42

Chin up, Cheer up. Chin up.

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:57 AM

QUOTE (hitman_for_hire @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 23:14)
QUOTE (jamieleng @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 22:59)
Because very few developers are prepared to spend 5 years on one game, which is what RDR, MP3 & V had. They also have a lot more autonomy than most developers, so they have no problem delaying a game even if it upsets fans & shareholders, but ultimately results in a better quality product.

That and some of the most talented peop's in the business.

Yea well said imagine if there was no such thing as R* I probably wouldn't have a console haha.

Ha, same.

gzam1312
  • gzam1312

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:58 AM

They didn't have time or money when making GTA 3/VC/SA so clearly it's the imagination of Dan and his inner circle that is the key ingredient...similar to COD/MoH/Titanfall's Vince Zampella...if we're being honest.

Gigabomber
  • Gigabomber

Infinite Ammo Amorous

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:21 AM

The table tennis for 3 bucks is pretty good. Got bored so picked it up yesterday. Hard as granite too.

omer19992010
  • omer19992010

Grove Street OG

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:43 AM

Rockstar,Bethesda,Valve and Naughty Dog are the only company's that don't rush there games and there Games are Amazing.

NEONPOWER2
  • NEONPOWER2

███ The Last Genius ███

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE (DeafMetal @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 04:18)
user posted image

this catspider.gif

d3ex2
  • d3ex2

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

Their open worlds always blow me away. I got IV again and I just can't believe how detailed it is.

I suppose that's what you get when you have hundreds of people working on it for ~5 years straight.

All the people at Rockstar North are really talented and some of the best developers in the world of gaming.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 14:18)

To be honest while I love GTA there are other games that do better in terms of core mechanics and such because quite frankly the GTA series has never been known for fluid and smooth gameplay.

In saying that there's a special ingredient that makes the games playable years down the track that some other games tend to not have.

Kinda combining your quotes here to make one point.

QUOTE (Mr Darko)
What's nice though is that GTA's core mechanics are starting to actually become exceptional as well. GTA IV had some of the best driving physics in any open world game, and GTA V will be an improvement upon that. If the shooting mechanics are anything like MP3's (and confirmations from various previews suggests that it is), then it has exceptional third person shooting mechanics as well, for any game. The graphics are even becoming some of the best among open world games. This generation, R*'s games have started to become as good in their individual mechanics as they are as a whole.

What I believe Rockstar games does for their GTA series is come up with a great concept, and a bunch of ideas to make the game fun, they then implement all those ideas and add in some basic game mechanics to act them out, because the mechanics aren't as important as the gameplay for an open world sandbox, Because as Miami put, it's that special ingredient in the gameplay that makes it fun, and replayable years later.

After they get the gameplay down pat, Rockstar refine the mechanics as much as they can to compliment this awesome gameplay we have, and as Mr Darko pointed out, GTA mechanics are getting pretty tight and a lot more fluid. The III Era games were a decent example of this, they were built on gameplay, then the mechanics got better and better, San Andreas's game mechanics were a lot better than GTA III's, sure they weren't brilliant to what we have now, but they were quite fluid and complimented the gameplay really well.

Rockstar had to switch engine for GTA IV, In many respects IV kind of started over, but it still improved in many areas of mechanics as well. Mr Darko mentioned how IV improved driving a lot, it was no longer arcadey as hell, I didn't like the driving in IV because it wasn't very fluid and as R* mentioned, the cars handled like boats, BUT it was obviously a big step in the right direction, it only really needs some tweaking so cars don't feel so "Heavy" and it will be close to perfect, the handling is fun an realistic being able to slide around corners and all that, but at the same time it is arcadey enough to be suitable for a open world sandbox kind of game, driving simulator-like steering wouldn't suit because that's not really fun, but being able to control awesome drifts around corners at speed is fun.
Some of the other mechanics were moving in the right direction too, like the physics of the main character, the "ragdoll" physics were amazing, when your character was knocked down and such, they acted pretty similarly to how someone in real life would in the same scenario, but there were bugs of course, like when the protagonist was nudged by a car slightly and went flailing to the ground. But that will surely be improved in V.
Fighting was another one that kinda went the right way, there wasn't really all that much wrong with it in San Andreas, so it hasn't changed all that much, Rockstar just have to make it fluid again, so it's not as sluggish as IV, the same goes for getting in and out of cars, climbing things and various other smaller mechanics, but it was a new engine in IV that brought about many improvements, so I understand that they weren't quite used to working with it yet.

But all of these mechanics listed are examples of my point that I was making concerning Miami's post and Mr Darko's. Rockstar nail the gameplay, and then they nail the mechanics as well later on, they have great methods IMO.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE (Gigabomber @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 06:21)
The table tennis for 3 bucks is pretty good. Got bored so picked it up yesterday. Hard as granite too.

Never played that game & it's pretty rare on eBay. Would be a great little game to release on the Vita.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:48 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 05 July 2013 - 07:50 AM.

QUOTE (finn4life @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 18:29)

QUOTE (Mr Darko)

What I believe Rockstar games does for their GTA series is come up with a great concept, and a bunch of ideas to make the game fun, they then implement all those ideas and add in some basic game mechanics to act them out, because the mechanics aren't as important as the gameplay for an open world sandbox, Because as Miami put, it's that special ingredient in the gameplay that makes it fun, and replayable years later.

After they get the gameplay down pat, Rockstar refine the mechanics as much as they can to compliment this awesome gameplay we have, and as Mr Darko pointed out, GTA mechanics are getting pretty tight and a lot more fluid. The III Era games were a decent example of this, they were built on gameplay, then the mechanics got better and better, San Andreas's game mechanics were a lot better than GTA III's, sure they weren't brilliant to what we have now, but they were quite fluid and complimented the gameplay really well.

Rockstar had to switch engine for GTA IV, In many respects IV kind of started over, but it still improved in many areas of mechanics as well. Mr Darko mentioned how IV improved driving a lot, it was no longer arcadey as hell, I didn't like the driving in IV because it wasn't very fluid and as R* mentioned, the cars handled like boats, BUT it was obviously a big step in the right direction, it only really needs some tweaking so cars don't feel so "Heavy" and it will be close to perfect, the handling is fun an realistic being able to slide around corners and all that, but at the same time it is arcadey enough to be suitable for a open world sandbox kind of game, driving simulator-like steering wouldn't suit because that's not really fun, but being able to control awesome drifts around corners at speed is fun.
Some of the other mechanics were moving in the right direction too, like the physics of the main character, the "ragdoll" physics were amazing, when your character was knocked down and such, they acted pretty similarly to how someone in real life would in the same scenario, but there were bugs of course, like when the protagonist was nudged by a car slightly and went flailing to the ground. But that will surely be improved in V.
Fighting was another one that kinda went the right way, there wasn't really all that much wrong with it in San Andreas, so it hasn't changed all that much, Rockstar just have to make it fluid again, so it's not as sluggish as IV, the same goes for getting in and out of cars, climbing things and various other smaller mechanics, but it was a new engine in IV that brought about many improvements, so I understand that they weren't quite used to working with it yet.

But all of these mechanics listed are examples of my point that I was making concerning Miami's post and Mr Darko's. Rockstar nail the gameplay, and then they nail the mechanics as well later on, they have great methods IMO.

I didn't mean to word it in a negative way. If it came across like that I apologise. The GTA series has always had good core mechanics, but some game other games seem to be a bit more solid. For example melee combat for whatever reason has been rather ordinary in GTA games.

R* have definitely made head way since GTA IV. RDR and MP3 show how much potential Euphoria has and I'm sure GTA V will be the most evolved yet. smile.gif

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE (hitman_for_hire @ Thursday, Jul 4 2013, 22:53)
No other open world games come close to what R* does I know obviously its hard work passion and patients but I'd like to know why nobody can compete with them.

Ubisoft make great games but the games they make just are not as good as R* detail and story wise R* are well ahead of any open world game devs for sure.

Ultimately it comes down to talent. Other factors though are time constraints and philosophy I suppose. They take as long as they want and have a large budget. They could probably make more money if they released games more frequently, but the games wouldn't be as good and I don't think Rockstar could stomach that. I suppose that's the difference.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 18:48)
QUOTE (finn4life @ Friday, Jul 5 2013, 18:29)

QUOTE (Mr Darko)

Snip

I didn't mean to word it in a negative way. If it came across like that I apologise. The GTA series has always had good core mechanics, but some game other games seem to be a bit more solid. For example melee combat for whatever reason has been rather ordinary in GTA games.

R* have definitely made head way since GTA IV. RDR and MP3 show how much potential Euphoria has and I'm sure GTA V will be the most evolved yet. smile.gif

Oh no, I completely get what you are saying, I am not defending R* or anything, I was just kind of elaborating on it a bit more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users