Bad move?

21 replies to this topic
Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

I didn't really intend to get back to the "costly" PC gaming when I did. My old PC died, and I tried to reach my absolute limits for the fund for a new PC.

Now since the processor and the GPU are two of the most important components of a gaming PC, I'll just talk about them:

So, I got a quad core i5 3570K. I was actually planning to get a GTX 660. But I changed my mind once GTX 760 got announced.

I had even ordered a 660 at the time of the announcement of the 760. But then I stalled the order.

I've got a few questions now:

-Is the i5 3570K future-proof enough? Should I have gone with the FX 8320? Will my quad core lag behind?

-Is 8 GB of DDR3 RAM enough for now? I'll be adding another 8 Gigs of it anyway.

-Is me opting for a Gigabyte H77-DS3H a bad move?

-What should I do about the GPU issue? Get a 760 now? Or should I get a HD 7950?

-If I get a 2GB version of GTX 760, will the VRAM limits be exposed once the nex-gen swings in full flow? Can I just slap in another 760 along with my current one if that happens? I have a 650 Watt PSU, by the way.

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Helpfulness Award
    Helpfulness Award [Technology]

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:14 PM Edited by yojo2, 04 July 2013 - 04:17 PM.

- i5-3570k was definitely a more futureproof choice than FX8320.
- it's more than enough.
- unfornunately, opting for the H77-DS3H isn't the best decision. It doesn't allow overclocking, which basically means that getting a CPU with unlocked multiplier ("K") will be a waste of money - you could buy a cheaper i5-3450 and it wouldn't make any difference. If you didn't buy this mobo yet, then don't get it, unless you don't plan to overclock the CPU.. but even in this case you'd be better off with i5-4570 + LGA1150 mobo.
- GTX760 is definitely a better choice than HD7950 right now, unless the Radeon receives price cuts.
- 2GBs of VRAM shouldn't be an issue, that's plenty. Mind you that slapping in another GTX760 won't increase the amount of VRAM - it doesn't add up when using multiple cards. Anyway, in the future when its performance becomes unsatisfactory, you'll be better off just replacing the card altogether.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

Basically everything Yoyo said is right about spot on.

-CPU AMD CPU's currently are not as good as Intel as far as gaming is concerned, also bear in mind games on PC are piss poor at utilizing any more than two cores, I can't think of any games that will gain a significant boost when using 4 cores vs 2 provided everything else with the CPU's is the same. So choosing a quad core was not a bad move at all as far as gaming is concerned, and most other applications. Also yeah, you wasted an extra 30 bucks on the "K" version for no reason if you're going to have a H77 Mobo, also like Yoyo said, get a newer socket board (1150) if you haven't already bought it, because it will be more future proof since there won't be any major improvements on CPU's of the current socket type.

- GTX 760 2GB should be absolutely fine, if you ever do start bottlenecking VRAM it's only really going to affect draw distance/number of textures/Anti-Aliasing, which isn't really a big deal since graphical fidelity will be more or less the same if you just shrink down draw distance a bit, Anti-Aliasing could be a bit of an issue in a a couple years, for now it shouldn't be much of a problem, also I would recommend against SLI-ing two Nvidia 760's simply because of all the stupid problems with SLI, when the time comes you feel you need to upgrade (WHich will probably be a couple years later) It would be money better spent simply to buy a new card since SLI only gives something like a 50% performance boost, that's a ballpark figure obviously, and it depends on which cards you use, but the hassles that appear really aren't worth the trouble unless you're an enthusiast.

-8GB Of RAM is a solid amount, no problems there, you can easily upgrade that later on if you want, but you probably won't need to until you get a new rig, and perhaps prices will have dropped by then since RAM prices are currently really high.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:33 AM Edited by Ferocious Banger, 06 July 2013 - 06:18 AM.

Thanks a lot, guys. I've already bought the motherboard. So, I can't replace it in the near future ( of course I will be more careful the next time around ).

Now,

-Can I know why the i5 is more "future-proof" than the fx 8320?
-Should I really overclock the GTX 760 ( when I buy one? ) Isn't overclocking dangerous to components?

EDIT: By the way, my TV's native resolution is 1360x768. I don't know why some say this is a "bad" resolution, for everything looks pretty brilliant on my TV ( Sony Bravia 26 bx35 ).

How will my resolution affect the future-proofing?

Also, since my current setup should play the future games at high /very high for about two years, will they look better than what they look like on consoles? I can't believe a game like The Division, for example, will look actually better than what it is on PC.

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

- i5 offers far better single threaded performance than FX-8320 and that's where lies its strength. Though the inability to overclock is a huge step back in terms of futureproofing.
- overclock when you actually need the extra power. Don't overclock the card if the performance is satisfactory, there's no point in that. Anyway, OC within reasonable margins is not harmful at all.

1360x768 is quite a low resolution, GTX760 seems like a bit of an overkill for such res, though it will work great. You should have no problem playing the games on higher details (if possible of course) than on consoles.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

Should I just opt for a gtx660 and save money, if gtx760 isn't going to make any difference?

Is there a better card than the gtx660 at that price range?

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE (Ferocious Banger @ Saturday, Jul 6 2013, 16:33)

1)Can I know why the i5 is more "future-proof" than the fx 8320?
2)Should I really overclock the GTX 760 ( when I buy one? ) Isn't overclocking dangerous to components?

EDIT: 3) By the way, my TV's native resolution is 1360x768. I don't know why some say this is a "bad" resolution, for everything looks pretty brilliant on my TV ( Sony Bravia 26 bx35 ).

How will my resolution affect the future-proofing?

4)Also, since my current setup should play the future games at high /very high for about two years, will they look better than what they look like on consoles? I can't believe a game like The Division, for example, will look actually better than what it is on PC.

1) Yoyo summed it up nicely, the actual answer is pretty complicated, you can do your own research if you want, but basically the i5 is just better at computing games, that's the fact, go look at benchmarks if you like, it wins every time.

2) Nope, provided you know how to do it properly.

3) It's not "Bad" it's just lower than some other resolutions, games will still look great, but higher resolutions just remove some of the "Fuzz" and make everything just that little bit clearer, it's not a huge difference to the current favourite (1080P), but it's still a difference. If you're satisfied with 768P and think it looks good, well that's good then, you will be able to play games at higher FPS for a longer time at that resolution anyway.

4)Probably Very high for now for most settings, and then high in a years time or something like that, there will be a bit of a jump in requirements when next gen hits, but you should be alright, and yes, The Division and other games WILL look better on PC, it's hard to see how the graphics can improve until you see improved graphics.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

Thanks again, finn. By the way, is a GTX 660 enough for the resolution that I am going to game on for the foreseeable future?

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (Ferocious Banger @ Saturday, Jul 6 2013, 22:26)
Thanks again, finn. By the way, is a GTX 660 enough for the resolution that I am going to game on for the foreseeable future?

That's what I was trying to say with the "Very high" and "High" statements, and also the one about lower resolution being beneficial for future playability.

So yeah should be good, i'd go 760 over 660.

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

If you want best bang for the buck then GTX660Ti might be a reasonable choice, ASUS has dropped the price of their GTX660Ti cards astonishingly low - at least in Poland and on Newegg they're far cheaper than other GTX660Tis.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

Okay. Thanks again. smile.gif

-Are Zotac cards good?

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:12 PM

Depends on which model is it and for how much. But the general rule is that they're overpiced.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:30 PM Edited by Ferocious Banger, 10 July 2013 - 12:33 PM.

I have a question: Can I buy the HD 7870?

How "future-proof" will it be?

I am specifically talking about this

And this

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

Sure you can buy the HD7870, but only if GTX660Ti is significantly more expensive in your country. And from what I see it isn't: http://www.flipkart....f6-0e308fa0b571 - though I don't know the brand. Anyway, if you want to buy the HD7870 I'd go for much cheaper XFX: http://www.flipkart....f6-0e308fa0b571

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (yojo2 @ Wednesday, Jul 10 2013, 18:27)
Sure you can buy the HD7870, but only if GTX660Ti is significantly more expensive in your country. And from what I see it isn't: http://www.flipkart....f6-0e308fa0b571 - though I don't know the brand. Anyway, if you want to buy the HD7870 I'd go for much cheaper XFX: http://www.flipkart....f6-0e308fa0b571

What about this?, yojo?

Can you tell me what I can do with this card ( in current times ) and in the future?

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

This HD7850 is okay, but far too pricey - the HD7870 from XFX I linked to is just slightly more expensive, and noticeably faster.
HD7850 in itself is okay, it might be even able to eg. max out BF3.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

@Yojo

I am going for this card: http://www.flipkart....ker=from-search

Worth it? Or should I spend a bit more ( sigh...) and get the 7950?

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

It's OK, you can also get the cheaper MSI: http://www.flipkart....a3-08e71389a7b2 - it will be somewhat louder though.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

I've ordered this..

No need to cancel, right?

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

Nope wink.gif Looks like a decent deal.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (yojo2 @ Wednesday, Jul 10 2013, 22:01)
Nope wink.gif Looks like a decent deal.

With my 1360x768 resolution, for how long do you think I can keep running games at max settings? 3 years?

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

Maybe even longer, hard to tell with the next-gen consoles around the corner.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users